Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

or libre office will suit 99% of your needs

lmao google docs suits my needs. suits urs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well of course I used keyboard shortcuts for
typing the words

pram
Jun 10, 2001

u dont have to defend microsoft anymore ur not on the payroll

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had

homo punching bag posted:

lmao google docs suits my needs. suits urs too

only I hate browser application. meeting my needs isn't suiting my needs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

I had

only I hate browser application. meeting my needs isn't suiting my needs

U fuckin pedant

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

infernal machines posted:

and some of them look pretty suspect until you verify the signature online.

post the most suspect one

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

only I hate browser application.

same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

U fuckin pedant

hell no! meeting my needs can be done by just about fuckin anything given that my needs might be simple (write a letter) but suiting my needs means to me that it does that and i dont hate it while i am doing it. this is where google docs fails

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

hell no! meeting my needs can be done by just about fuckin anything given that my needs might be simple (write a letter) but suiting my needs means to me that it does that and i dont hate it while i am doing it. this is where google docs fails

Nah it suits your needs just fine u just don't like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:ughh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

iirc you can't generate osx certs with a ios dev account but I haven't really tried

isn't one note in the Mac App Store though?

it is, as are remote desktop and onedrive

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

eschaton posted:

it is, as are remote desktop and onedrive

then they have 0 reason to use janky poo poo

but lol Microsoft I guess

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

just a reminder that outlook on mac has no issues opening shared exchange calendars, and showing them all on the same view. but all the events will be blue, and you can't change this.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

just a reminder that outlook on mac has no issues opening shared exchange calendars, and showing them all on the same view. but all the events will be blue, and you can't change this.

outlook on Mac is a piece of poo poo
I switched to mail.app and calendar.app and I am never looking back until they fix that shitheap

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

ahmeni posted:

outlook on Mac is a piece of poo poo
I switched to mail.app and calendar.app and I am never looking back until they fix that shitheap

outlook on anything is a piece of poo poo, and enjoy your mail.app because if it hasn't got better by now it aint never gonna

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just a reminder that microsoft's last ui innovation before the ribbon was "smart menus"

basically, "gently caress your muscle memory, these menus are a mess, so let's dynamically rearange your access to features and functions on the fly". we'll hide poo poo at random based on whatever you used last, ensuring you spend twice as much time unhiding and searching for stuff

in context, the ribbon was an improvement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Base Emitter posted:

outlook on anything is a piece of poo poo, and enjoy your mail.app because if it hasn't got better by now it aint never gonna

outlook is basically competing with a decade old lotus notes. everything else silos mail, calendar, and contacts even though in normal workflow you actually want them all in one place

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

just a reminder that microsoft's last ui innovation before the ribbon was "smart menus"

basically, "gently caress your muscle memory, these menus are a mess, so let's dynamically rearange your access to features and functions on the fly". we'll hide poo poo at random based on whatever you used last, ensuring you spend twice as much time unhiding and searching for stuff

it's all they are doing which is throwing darts at a board so hard they pierce it and become products

"okay one of these times we're gonna hit at least ipod level this time alright?"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Base Emitter posted:

ugh I know
timb make flagging emails better thanks

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

i can't stand mail.app. always been a thunderbird user for imap stuff at work.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

outlook is basically competing with a decade old lotus notes. everything else silos mail, calendar, and contacts even though in normal workflow you actually want them all in one place

mac "silos" them because "outlook" or "notes" aren't as descriptive as "mail" and "calendar" and "contacts"

account management for the three are done from the same place, and they're p. well integrated too

perhaps it is the whole computer that should strive to be useful instead of one app

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
useful computer

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
sry interrupting outlook chat

edit: pop-up title added in screencap for emphasis

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

sry interrupting outlook chat

edit: pop-up title added in screencap for emphasis

I take it that windows 7 uptake is not shown on this chart because it's off the top somewhere

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ahmeni posted:

ugh I know
timb make flagging emails better thanks

ugh email flagging

personally I use OmniFocus and just dump my important stuff from my inbox there every morning and resort it into discrete stuff daily.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want to like omni apps but the price tag that they pick for them, combined with having to buy the ios versions separately and then having to buy upgrades can gently caress off.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how badly do you have to gently caress up to make your uptake drop on the latest version of your OS

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I want to like omni apps but the price tag that they pick for them, combined with having to buy the ios versions separately and then having to buy upgrades can gently caress off.

alternately, you can use microsoft products

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

beep boop your irrational human preferences are inefficient and a flaw in your design matrix :mitt:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eesh blech yuck

thanks for reminding me about that awful poo poo, wow

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
you know that "paste as" menu that's helpful in 2013 and 2010

it does not exist in mac office

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/NFL-players-to-use-tablet-computers-during-games-5665371.php

quote:

When you see Colin Kaepernick pick up a tablet computer on the sidelines this season, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback won't be tweeting.

Instead, Kaepernick and other NFL players will be using a new digital photo system that could eventually replace the league's decades-old method of studying opponents from the sidelines using printed black-and-white photos.

The Sideline Viewing System, developed as part of a reported $400 million partnership between the NFL and Microsoft, is one of the on-field technologies the league is introducing this year.

The referees are also going wireless so they can talk with each other without huddling, and coaches will sport new Bose headsets.

But the appearance of Microsoft Surface tablets marks the first time players and coaches can legally use such electronic devices on the field during the game. The tablets will come into play for the first time Sunday night, when the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills play in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio.

"We think it's an opportunity to use technology to improve the game on the field," said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy.

For years, teams have used printed photographs to learn how their opponents lined up before the ball was snapped. The photos are organized in three-ring binders for players to study between offensive or defensive series.

In earlier days, coaches sent Polaroid shots to the field using a long wire strung from the upper deck or press box to the sidelines. That delivery system provided enough time for the self-developing film to produce a picture.

More recently, teams employed fax machines and sideline printers connected by fiber-optic cable, McCarthy said.

But while printed black-and-whites take 20 to 30 seconds to get to the field, the new digital system can transmit color pictures to the tablets in four to five seconds, said Microsoft spokesman Ryan Luckin.

And with the tablets, players can enlarge the photo, compare up to four images on one screen, and use a stylus to draw passing routes or highlight missed blocking assignments. Players and coaches can also bookmark plays to refer to them later in the game.
Secure network

Each team will have 13 Surfaces on the sidelines and 12 in the coaches box. The league owns and operates the tablets, which run on a secure wireless network. The devices will be locked in a temperature-controlled cart between games to prevent any team from manipulating the information.

The NFL embraced instant-replay reviews in 1999, but has been slow to adopt other technology to avoid competitive imbalances.

The league's competition committee placed restrictions on the Surface tablets: They can display only still images, not video, and they won't have Internet access.

"We want to make sure the players are deciding wins and losses, not technology," Luckin said.

And the sideline printers aren't being sacked just yet. They'll remain for coaches who aren't ready to tackle the digital images.

"If I'm a coach and I've won multiple Super Bowl championships with this perfectly usable paper system, it would be a disadvantage to take that away from me if I don't want to use this," Luckin said. "We're keeping the playing field level."

Microsoft is getting some free TV advertising by outfitting the tablets with sky-blue cases clearly labeled "Surface." But Microsoft's main motivation is what the Redmond, Wash., company receives from its partnership with the NFL: a reported $400 million, five-year deal. That includes interactive content to help sell Xbox home video game consoles.
New technology

When the regular season starts, Microsoft's Xbox Live network will offer services that include video feeds of game highlights and fantasy football data. Xbox owners will also gain access to NFL Sunday Ticket, the league's package of out-of-market game telecasts that was previously available only to DirecTV satellite service subscribers.

Apart from Microsoft, the league is adding new technology of its own.

Officiating crews will have their own wireless communications network so they can confer on penalty calls without having to huddle, or one having to run yards downfield to talk to another. International soccer referees have long had similar setups.

And on-field officials will be able to talk directly with instant-replay officials at NFL headquarters in New York, McCarthy said.

The referees and players will also wear chips in their clothing to track their locations on the field.

Radio-frequency identification, or RFID, transmitters in the shoulder pads of players will give the league and fans data on their performance, including how fast they accelerate and how far they run.

The NFL teamed up with Zebra Technologies of Lincolnshire, Ill., to develop the system, which will be installed in Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, O.co Coliseum in Oakland, NRG Stadium in Houston and 14 other stadiums. The 49ers and Detroit Lions tested the system during home games last season.

"Working with Zebra will give fans, teams, coaches and players a deeper look into the game they love," Vishal Shah, NFL vice president of media strategy, said in a news release.

Those innovations are all a long way from the Polaroid-on-a-wire days, McCarthy said.

"We were looking to balance innovation with tradition, and we think we can marry the two here and improve it," he said.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

idgi is the nfl paying microsoft $0.4 billion for this?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

idgi is the nfl paying microsoft $0.4 billion for this?
no no no

microsoft is paying the nfl $0.4b (before dev costs, etc) to do this

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
please somebody setup aircrack-ng at a stadium and then goatse all the pictures

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that's hosed

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lol and each coach is swapping through that many tablets too because windows is such a terrible os on battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

beep boop your irrational human preferences are inefficient and a flaw in your design matrix :mitt:

lol

• Locked thread