Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The sentiment's nice and everything, but I can't get past "numerical value of your gravitational pull."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I think you're overlooking the gravity of the situation.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's massively important to some people, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don't think the message carries a lot of weight in that context though.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Honestly it's too big of a debate to properly explore here.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

They fat

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

She constantly posts Bible verses and preaches.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm pretty sure the Taliban has already help popularize clothing that ensures women aren't objectified. I mean, at the very least, women who don't want to be objectified should cover their hair. Better would be to cover all of their sinful flesh from the male gaze. That way their modesty and chastity can be preserved. To be covered is the ultimate female liberation.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shbobdb posted:

I'm pretty sure the Taliban has already help popularize clothing that ensures women aren't objectified. I mean, at the very least, women who don't want to be objectified should cover their hair. Better would be to cover all of their sinful flesh from the male gaze. That way their modesty and chastity can be preserved. To be covered is the ultimate female liberation.

Is this ironic or not? Because i have heard that argument a thousand times. Some women do genuinly beleive that they are more free under a burka or a niqab. I find it bizarre,but hey different strokes for different folks.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Baudolino posted:

Is this ironic or not? Because i have heard that argument a thousand times. Some women do genuinly beleive that they are more free under a burka or a niqab. I find it bizarre,but hey different strokes for different folks.

The idea is that there isn't anything (or at least not enough) to differentiate between a scantily clad woman who's nothing but a piece of gently caress-meat and a scantily clad woman who's independent and free to self express. Kind of like the idea that there isn't anything different between a woman wearing a burka because she's subservient to her husband/father and a woman wearing a burka because she wants respect in a male-dominated society.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MizPiz posted:

The idea is that there isn't anything (or at least not enough) to differentiate between a scantily clad woman who's nothing but a piece of gently caress-meat and a scantily clad woman who's independent and free to self express. Kind of like the idea that there isn't anything different between a woman wearing a burka because she's subservient to her husband/father and a woman wearing a burka because she wants respect in a male-dominated society.

I guess the major difference comes from being in a country like the US where you're free to dress scantily or in a shapeless robe, or a country like Afghanistan or France where you're not given the option.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Christmas Present posted:

I guess the major difference comes from being in a country like the US where you're free to dress scantily or in a shapeless robe, or a country like Afghanistan or France where you're not given the option.
I know France is big on fashion, but I don't think they legally require people to wear certain types of clothing.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Fedora-wearer spotted.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

trickybiscuits posted:

I know France is big on fashion, but I don't think they legally require people to wear certain types of clothing.

They passed laws forbidding people from wearing burqas or things like that because they have a bunch of Muslim immigrants and are racist as poo poo.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hedera Helix posted:

Fedora-wearer White person spotted.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"I wish I lived during the Great Depression!"

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Sorry it's not the Thomas Kinkade quality you crave.

:cawg: This was funny.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Small Frozen Thing posted:

They passed laws forbidding people from wearing burqas or things like that because they have a bunch of Muslim immigrants and are racist as poo poo.

It's okay, the 100 immigrants or so who want to wear burqas still wear them the French fine them ad infinitum. It's basically become a tax. A really, really expensive tax.

Not sure if satire or not, but Poe's law and all that.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Deltasquid posted:

It's okay, the 100 immigrants or so who want to wear burqas still wear them the French fine them ad infinitum. It's basically become a tax. A really, really expensive tax.

There's a certain humor to be found in the fact that, under this law, France has basically reintroduced the jizya.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Christmas Present posted:

You can still dress in any shapeless robe or head covering you want in France, it's only the full burqa - the one which fully covers the face, with an eye slit (often also veiled) which is banned. Technically there are loads of places in the US you are not allowed to wear something that covers your entire face either and I doubt "I'm a Muslim" would take presendence over "but securityyyy".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

"You like this," killed me.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

This is brilliant.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

moerketid posted:

You can still dress in any shapeless robe or head covering you want in France, it's only the full burqa - the one which fully covers the face, with an eye slit (often also veiled) which is banned. Technically there are loads of places in the US you are not allowed to wear something that covers your entire face either and I doubt "I'm a Muslim" would take presendence over "but securityyyy".

Please don't make excuses for the French being lovely racists.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

moerketid posted:

While true these tend to be privately-owned locations such as banks, France just has laws against wearing them anywhere in the country. I'm not exactly keen on the implications of wearing a burqa myself but hey that's the problem with free societies, sometimes people do things you don't like and unless they're actively hurting someone you've got to suck it up.

I'll admit to being amused by that one guy who was asked for a quote regarding his wife no longer being allowed to wear one just after they passed the law, and came out with "In that case I just won't let her out of the house ever again."

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Aug 3, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
How dare they forbid me to be enslaved by the religion i didnt choose

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
uhh way to be racist lincoln buddy, maybe i liked my chains???

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think you know how enslavement works. Also I find it hilarious you think France gives one gently caress about them.

To be clear, that law does nothing, absolutely nothing to help Muslim women.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Aug 3, 2014

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

How absurdly long is that URL?

It is about 5000 characters long, and each character has 36 possible values. That means there are 36 possible values for each character, so that means that there are 36^5000 different possible URLs of that length. There are 10^80 atoms in the universe, and the universe is 10^25 nanoseconds old.

If every atom in the universe was a computer trying to guess that URL, and they made a guess every nanosecond...that would be only 10^105 guesses. If the universe lasts for a million times its current age, we are only up to 10^111 guesses.

Exponents are tough, but I think you get the point.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

glowing-fish posted:

How absurdly long is that URL?

It is about 5000 characters long, and each character has 36 possible values. That means there are 36 possible values for each character, so that means that there are 36^5000 different possible URLs of that length. There are 10^80 atoms in the universe, and the universe is 10^25 nanoseconds old.

If every atom in the universe was a computer trying to guess that URL, and they made a guess every nanosecond...that would be only 10^105 guesses. If the universe lasts for a million times its current age, we are only up to 10^111 guesses.

Exponents are tough, but I think you get the point.

Good math, but it's not a url, it's an image encoded in Base64

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Please don't make excuses for the French being lovely racists.

I was pointing out an inaccuracy since there seems to be a belief that all Muslim headscarfs/dress is banned in France when that is obviously not the case. Also you cannot be racist against a religion. If I disagree with something in Islam/Christianity/Hinduism/what the gently caress ever that does not make me a "racist". I'm sure I'll get shot down for that but whatever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

moerketid posted:

I was pointing out an inaccuracy since there seems to be a belief that all Muslim headscarfs/dress is banned in France when that is obviously not the case. Also you cannot be racist against a religion. If I disagree with something in Islam/Christianity/Hinduism/what the gently caress ever that does not make me a "racist". I'm sure I'll get shot down for that but whatever.

Yeah it's totally about religion and not "gently caress brown people"

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

moerketid posted:

It's entirely possible for the French to be lovely racists and the Muslims who force women to cover themselves to be rear end-backwards misogynists, it's not a mutually exclusive thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

moerketid posted:

As a citizen of a country that got close to having the same ruling as France regarding religious headgear:
It's pushed 100% because of "gently caress them muzzies" and not about anything else, let alone woman's rights.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

moerketid posted:

I think we should ban rap music. I'm not racist, you can't be racist against a musical genre, I just disagree with all that urban gangster thug crap.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

moerketid posted:

It's attacking a specific religion, while you can argue it's not based in racism (it is but for arguments sake) it's still fairly discriminatory. Unless they are undoing all religious practices that effect women negatively.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
This thread used to be fun.

Give me my dosis of Social Media Idiots, thank you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Everybody is always wrong about everything, and everything is stupid, end of conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

glowing-fish posted:

It is about 5000 characters long, and each character has 36 possible values. That means there are 36 possible values for each character, so that means that there are 36^5000 different possible URLs of that length.

I haven't checked any of your math, but I did notice that your assumptions are conservative. Capitalization counts, which gives us 52 alphabetical characters +10 digits. That's assuming our character set is limited to "a" through "z" and zero through nine.

• Locked thread