Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Please do not play the real time mode of Blood Bowl.

Edit:

This is the thread you want if you want to get into touch with goons who play BB:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511321

Not that you're unwelcome here, every vote counts towards deciding this teams makeup. :)

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you want to play real-time Blood Bowl, you should track down Chaos League, which is what Cyanide actually made first, and what got them the BB gig basically as penance. Don't get the expansion, though, it adds a bunch of bad mechanics.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

GNU Order posted:

Post Match Vote: What do we do with our cash earnings - ???

Cheerleaders (x2)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hello friends.

I have a match for you. Did you miss me? I missed you.

Because of the format of this LP, there is no way to build a backlog and these videos come out basically one match at a time, as soon as I can make them. I've been trying to get a match out and done once a week, but sometimes scheduling everything in time is hard. Hopefully we can get back to a match a week soon. On to your regularly scheduled programming.

:siren:Match 10:siren:
Fairly Elected (GNU Order, Necromantic) vs Galactic Garnishers (Iretep, Halfling)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Is there a way to throw teammate at enemy players without it causing a turnover? Using you dudes as projectiles is hilarious, and should be done as much as possible.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
That was amazing. It seems like you've finally gotten a break from dubskulling everywhere and now the opposing team practically just kills itself for you.

MacGruff, never change. You are the best. :allears:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I dont know posted:

Is there a way to throw teammate at enemy players without it causing a turnover? Using you dudes as projectiles is hilarious, and should be done as much as possible.

The only time you can cause a turnover on a TTM is if the player being thrown has the ball, and he fails to land on his feet. That's the reason for the turnover at the end of the half. So, as long as you're not throwing the ballcarrier, you can brain your opponents without fear of turnover

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wellby Cotton for president.

EDIT: Toob Tomato for vice president.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 3, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I like Wellby Cotton because the name has just enough to it to sound like it's an obscure pun or reference. It helps that he was a goddamn champion up until he ate that punch. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I dont know posted:

This is true, even if you kill your player, providing your team doesn't drop the ball, it doesn't turnover.
Yes that means if you bean your own ballcarrier with a TTM'd player, it's a turnover.

It's straight to injury rolls if you hit another player though. Or possibly armour rolls first, I forget.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 3, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Shameful lack of 3dbs. Especially as you don't have tackle. Dr. Wight's lucky POWs are brutal.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am amazed that Wellby Cotton managed to survive to level 6 without being crippled. Halflings are soooo squishy, and having that many levels on something that easy to punch is like wearing a sign around your neck saying 'Halfling Pinata'.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
>Rely on Elfball
>Fumble the pass twice
>Don't score until turn 8

Compare and contrast, Dr.Wight, putting on a clinic and removing 3 players from the game, including the OP as gently caress Super Halfling.

Seriously gently caress firing Ra's Al, fire loving Wight Power, he is literally completely useless because we tried to make him a passing Wight rather then a murder Wight.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You are just prejudiced against elfball.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I played a game against Halflings once. It was with rookie DElfs. It was painful.

I went into the game expecting something easy. Then I lost all my rerolls. Then two of my guys got CASed by trees on the first turn. My third guy CASed himself trying to dodge away from the trees. Then I tried to get into a punching match with the Halflings while getting the gently caress away from the trees. Then like five guys ganged up on one guy, gangfouled him, and CASed him. Then I thoroughly poo poo myself in fear, conceded, and retired the team (think there was like a death and a long-term injury in there).

I hope I can get to play Fairly Elected with my Los Angeles Bloodlines, because I have a Pass Wight and a Diving Catch Ghoul and odds are I'm going to be able to pull some bullshit Elf crap and get away with it.

Also, Dr. Wight beastmode officially engaged.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

TheNabster posted:

>Rely on Elfball
>Fumble the pass twice

Compare and contrast, Dr.Wight, putting on a clinic and removing 3 players from the game, including the OP as gently caress Super Halfling.

Seriously gently caress firing Ra's Al, fire loving Wight Power, he is literally completely useless because we tried to make him a passing Wight rather then a murder Wight.

Even the Elfiest of Blood Bowl teams get dice screwed every once in a while. Let's not go writing off players before their time.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Perhaps you would be better served with a pretty pink elf team and some nice doilies for your tea set.

Say no to elfball. Vote for murder ball.

TheNabster posted:

What did I say.

No good comes from playing Elfball, and now Wight Power has had his shins broken.

TheNabster posted:

Because Sissy Elf Ball skills worked out so well for Wight Power

TheNabster posted:

And once again. Because we made one of our Wights a passing Wight, he gets man-handled like a sissy elf boy before the first half is even over.

Elfball. Not even once.

TheNabster posted:

>That Elfball attempt on Wight Power.
>That colossal gently caress up that was Wight Power that half because we didn't give him good punching skills

Not.
Even.
ONCE.

TheNabster posted:

>Rely on Elfball
>Fumble the pass twice

Hmm, I'm starting to think you're not entirely on board with the pass game Mr TheNabster.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Cutscene Powers posted:

Hmm, I'm starting to think you're not entirely on board with the pass game Mr TheNabster.

I like seeing people getting punched in the face. This game has much face punching and it pleases me greatly.

Edit: Also it is not like Wight Power's track record has been fantastic so far.

Rorahusky posted:

Even the Elfiest of Blood Bowl teams get dice screwed every once in a while. Let's not go writing off players before their time.

Maybe I am over reacting, but come on, I think Wight Power has completed a grand total of one pass in recent memory, and it was an end of the game vanity pass.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 3, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

TheNabster posted:

Maybe I am over reacting, but come on, I think Wight Power has completed a grand total of one pass in recent memory, and it was an end of the game vanity pass.

This mostly has to do with Wight Power getting cas'd in the first half of almost every game we've had, unrelated to Elfball.

He wouldn't have been punching, either, if he's laying down being lazy in the cas box. :colbert:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Watching Gnu work out a passing corridor that didn't involve a possible interception, fumble the pass, and then have to make a last-ditch rush with MCGRUFF HERO OF BLOOD BOWL was significantly more interesting than beep boop optimum play choices punch punch punch would have been.

If we wanted a team that just punched everything all the time, more people would have voted for Orcs and every match could have been Gnu saying "And in this match I punched a whole lot of people."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

1stGear posted:

Watching Gnu work out a passing corridor that didn't involve a possible interception, fumble the pass, and then have to make a last-ditch rush with MCGRUFF HERO OF BLOOD BOWL was significantly more interesting than beep boop optimum play choices punch punch punch would have been.

If we wanted a team that just punched everything all the time, more people would have voted for Orcs and every match could have been Gnu saying "And in this match I punched a whole lot of people."

"While very slowly moving towards the end zone. This time I managed to score first so I won!"

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I was really confused why you didn't just throw the ball to Ra's for an easy 3+ and have him walk over and hand off to MacGruff. It worked out and was hilarious, but the ghoul was right there! I guess if you missed it would be in the thick of things though.

There is some serious hatred of ghouls not named Santos.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

^^^^ I just didn't think about it I guess :shobon:. I wanted to throw the ball to Macgruff and once I got that in my brain I thought about the best way to make that happen, rather than just thinking about the best way to get him the ball

1stGear posted:

There are merits to giving pass/agility skills and there are merits to getting punching skills. As I've said before though, I'm not going to let the skill choices define the team. Ultimately, the skills that my players have will enable me to do whatever I want, which is often dumb stuff. At the end of the day I'm playing these matches to be watched, which is why I didn't (and won't in the second half) supergrog the game and stall while punching halfers every turn, which is ultimately the most efficient way to win.

The fact that you guys have been skewing pass-heavy is definitely influencing how I play, of course, but even if my whole team was a PO/MB deathball I'd still be Cholo Leaning and firing off passes. Because it's fun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I can't believe nobody has noticed this yet.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I can't believe nobody has noticed this yet.

That is amazing.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

GNU Order posted:

The fact that you guys have been skewing pass-heavy is definitely influencing how I play, of course, but even if my whole team was a PO/MB deathball I'd still be Cholo Leaning and firing off passes. Because it's fun.

Can't argue with that. I just quibble because, you know, why not give passing skills to the really fast players who get Dodge and stuff, instead of the player who has access to strength skills, and yet we get Pass on him because... Stuff I guess.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheNabster posted:

Your opinions are dumb.

GNU not using R'as is because he's against lovely halflings who are down a tree due to a double 1 on a GFI and then a similarly improbable armour break into cas, so it's not like there's anything but a self-imposed challenge left in the match, and passing Wights are fine. 75% chance of that pass working out from the thrower's end at least, sometimes you just happen to fail rolls.

You get rid of players who can still do their jobs and three will die.

As to "why not give passing skills to the other players" - because they all need doubles to get passing skills. He happened to be the first Agi 3 guy to get dubs, IIRC. Strength also gives access to Strong Arm, whereas Agility doesn't have anything that helps passing directly. Mystery solved.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Fire Santos and MacGruff. Promote Ras and Wight Power to stars of the team.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

jBrereton posted:

Your opinions are dumb.

My opinions are objectively fact.

Also I was mostly talking bullshit.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This mostly has to do with Wight Power getting cas'd in the first half of almost every game we've had, unrelated to Elfball.

He wouldn't have been punching, either, if he's laying down being lazy in the cas box. :colbert:

This is true. The lack of passing action so far isn't due to Wight Power sucking at passing...

It's due to him sucking at knowing how to take a punch.

F*cking glass jaw Wight.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

1stGear posted:

Pff, Orc elfbowling is the pro strat. Punching and throwing on one team, you can't lose!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I saw an Orc catch a ball once.
Once.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Piell posted:

Pff, Orc elfbowling is the pro strat. Punching and throwing on one team, you can't lose!

Neruz posted:

Once.

Green Elfing is totally possible

...may require some luck/skills.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jade Star posted:

No don't post pictures of your bullshit 5 agi Orc thats not a real Orc its an Elf in a rubber suit :colbert:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Jade Star posted:

I am now imagining an Orc ballerina prancing into the middle of the cage and elegantly planting his foot in the ball carrier's face.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The way my Elfball works is as follows:

1. Get skills for passing and catching.
2. Get into situation where I might get the ball to my quarterback.
3a. Pick up the ball with my runningback instead because he has Sure Hands and I only have two rerolls left and oh god it might go wrong otherwise :ohdear:
3b. Pick up the ball with my quarterback, then do a vanity pass to the runningback because my wide receiver is stuck somewhere in the line and can't really get out without dodging and he may have Dodge but still that's rolling dice and oh god it might go terribly wrong :ohdear:
3c. Pick up the ball with my quarterback, have a wide receiver in a good position (or sometimes a runningback) for a reception. Go for the pass. The slow-rear end player in the line picks the ball off. Curse violently.
4. Swear I'll do better next time.

I think only playing for the LP might break this problem, mostly because then I'll feel obligated to try things that are fun to make a fun game to watch, and Undead or Norse passing is fun.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Rorahusky posted:

I am now imagining an Orc ballerina prancing into the middle of the cage and elegantly planting his foot in the ball carrier's face.

I am so giving him Leap if he rolls doubles.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Neruz posted:

Once.

I've had a Bob catch a ball on t16, in the rain, and make 2 gfis to the endzone.

Orcs can catch just fine, they're like the opposite of elfs - it only works when you really need it to (and aren't expecting much).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Khemri are the best passesrs.

Oh sure, everyone talks about elves. Pfft, elves have no passing skill, they do it on a 2+ all the time.

Khemri though, they have to roll a 5 or a 6 (or get +ag) to make a pass. THAT takes skill that only thousands of years of Blood Bowl can give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Khemri are the best passesrs.

Oh sure, everyone talks about elves. Pfft, elves have no passing skill, they do it on a 2+ all the time.

Khemri though, they have to roll a 5 or a 6 (or get +ag) to make a pass. THAT takes skill that only thousands of years of Blood Bowl can give you.

Skeleton fingers are even worse than butter fingers. How are you supposed to hold the ball with skeleton fingers? No grip!

• Locked thread