Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was said earlier that BG1 was made with the idea in mind that since it's low level D&D, your characters *are* most likely going to meet hilarious deaths, so they gave you lots of replacement options that scale with you. I've been playing that way on my most recent run. Whoops, Jaheira got exploded by an ogre before we even got to Beregost. It's alright, it's an excuse to use Garrick since I never do. And he surprisingly isn't bad. Dude is actually managing to not die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The best way to play through BG1, in my opinion, is a no-reload, no guts, no glory playthrough of a chaotic neutral Charname. The road to Baldur's Gate is littered by those foolish enough to follow me into combat. Survival of the fittest: either you level up, or you die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I never got those guys in any of my parties. I feel like I may be missing out. I found Dynaheir to be a pretty effective mage *shrug*. I'm sure Edwin is better, but..he's evil and messes up having Minsc in the party.

Khalid was just a good meat shield. Sure, others may be better, but I didn't like splitting him off since I'm all sentimental.

The problem is that Khalid for some reason breaks morale very very easily, spending a good number of fights running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Also one note for you and anyone else playing IWD: play the base game all the way through, then import your characters into the expansion. There's a very good weapon you can only get if you do it this way.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Can I get a recommendation for an IWD party? I've hit a wall where I'm just getting murdered and I think part of it is that I brought a Bard who is useless in combat, and the buff ain't doing much.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Arivia posted:

The problem is that Khalid for some reason breaks morale very very easily, spending a good number of fights running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Also one note for you and anyone else playing IWD: play the base game all the way through, then import your characters into the expansion. There's a very good weapon you can only get if you do it this way.

I've already beat IWD and the expansion. Which weapon might you be talking about? Go ahead and spoiler tag it for me.

Yeah, Khalid WOULD run around like that sometimes, but I felt like it just made it more challenging. I rarely had any fights lost because of that. Usually its because some mage would cast a perfect storm of spells that would fry someone. The worst was being petrified as the main character, reversing it in time, and the game still ending. CURSES!

I never really got into any of the extra heroes until I played my most recent play through with Kivan.

Holy crap, Kivan. Pew pew pew pew pew

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Khalid is tied to party leader Charisma last I checked. Most people treat Charisma as a dump stat so Khalid runs in fear constantly in minmax parties.

In every game I've done my character has been party lead, and he has 10+ Charisma. Khalid never broke morale except for one or two really bad fights when someone died.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

Khalid is tied to party leader Charisma last I checked. Most people treat Charisma as a dump stat so Khalid runs in fear constantly in minmax parties.

In every game I've done my character has been party lead, and he has 10+ Charisma. Khalid never broke morale except for one or two really bad fights when someone died.

My experience as well. Granted I was like..14 the first time I played and didn't understand min/maxing as BG was my first experience with D&D.
I feel like I should have an honorary degree for understanding THACO at that age, but not algebra.

In IWD2, do I have to actually restart the game if I want to redo my party, or can I make a new member on the fly?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jastiger posted:

In IWD2, do I have to actually restart the game if I want to redo my party, or can I make a new member on the fly?

Yeah, click character arbitration button (C) and modify. Your new character will be lvl 1.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rookersh posted:

Morale is supposed to be tied to charisma, but who can say if it is? I was just playing with an 18-charisma PC, and Khalid would run from every other fight where I had to heal him to keep him tanking.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Keep Imoen if you want her, dual-class her around level 8 or so to mage.

No, then she'll never get her Thief levels back and you've screwed her out of half her abilities for no gain.

Level 7 is the latest you can wait and still get her Thief levels back, but dual classing at level 6 is ideal since she'll still be able to reach the maximum Mage level of 9.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Morale is supposed to be tied to charisma, but who can say if it is? I was just playing with an 18-charisma PC, and Khalid would run from every other fight where I had to heal him to keep him tanking.

Was your PC the party lead?

My first character was an 18 Cha Fighter and he never broke once. He broke once on my 16 Cha Mage, and 2-3 times on my 14 Cha Wild Mage. On both Mages he was breaking constantly with him/Minsc in party lead, but once my Mage was party lead he stopped breaking.

On this latest game since I'm a Mage again I just have Jaheria as party lead and her Charisma seems to be high enough as well as he hasn't broken morale yet.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Disco Infiva posted:

Yeah, click character arbitration button (C) and modify. Your new character will be lvl 1.

Thanks. I want to have fun in the game, but after reading the OP and having a bad experience in IWD with my rogue, I'm terrified of gimping myself or taking the wrong classes. In my experience multi classing ends up with two lovely versions of a class instead of one solid version of one.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Kajeesus posted:

Khalid is a bad example because his native morale break is 6/10, which I believe is the worst it gets among party NPCs. Compare Minsc or Ajantis who will take literally twice as many morale penalties before they break, at 2/10.

Looking up morale values is neat. Apparently Kagain's a coward too (but his native HP keeps him from getting too badly penalised so you don't notice, I suppose.) Montaron's braver than average (4/10), putting him ahead of others like Jaheira.

Oh, and the Amnish soldier .cre file is titled DEADFUCK.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Solid Jake posted:

No, then she'll never get her Thief levels back and you've screwed her out of half her abilities for no gain.

Level 7 is the latest you can wait and still get her Thief levels back, but dual classing at level 6 is ideal since she'll still be able to reach the maximum Mage level of 9.

Huh, must've misremembered it then. I could swear in BG2 she's a level 8 thief.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Oh, and the Amnish soldier .cre file is titled DEADFUCK.

I wish I knew who gently caress Face Rodriguez was supposed to be

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Deltasquid posted:

Why does it matter what she is in BG2?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Riven posted:

Can I get a recommendation for an IWD party? I've hit a wall where I'm just getting murdered and I think part of it is that I brought a Bard who is useless in combat, and the buff ain't doing much.

Whose in the rest of your party? IWD is very fighter centric compared to other IE games. If the bard song isn't doing it for you, give him a bow and have him hang back casting spells, there's some cool bard only items, and the bard songs get better as he levels up, so while not necessary, I'd keep him around. For the rest of the party, you dont need a pure class divine caster or thief, so in addition to your bard and at least 1 pure fighter I'd have a fighter/thief and either a fighter/cleric or a fighter/druid. That leaves one open slot, the Bard should be able to handle most of your arcane casting needs, so maybe another fighter type like paladin, I haven't experimented with rangers enough to know if their weird pseudo dual wielding is worth the slower advancement. If you went fighter/druid, a pure class cleric can be handy for turning undead and getting party buffs slightly quicker, but know that early hame it's going to spend 90% of the time hanging in the back with a sling.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I wish I knew who gently caress Face Rodriguez was supposed to be

They just had filthy mouths if they thought no one was going to be looking at it. gently caress Face Rodriguez, Fucknut Rodriguez, FUCKYU.dlg,

quote:

IF
GlobalGT("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",55)
Global("ButtPluggingCumBubble","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("ButtPluggingCumBubble","GLOBAL",1)
Kill(Myself)

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

She is in BG2, but BG1 has a an XP cap of 161,000.

The XP cap in BG2 is 8 million, which means she could spare the extra level or two in Thief. She actually could've waited until level 9 in Thief to dual-class and still hit 31 Mage.

Stuipd Imoen, shoulda learned her system mastery :smaug:

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Arivia posted:

Take thief first. You get a x4 bonus to your skill points at level 1, so it's important to get that bonus and be able to put it into your thief skills to keep up; you won't be able to do that if you take wizard first. You'll be fine without a wizard at first level - you might have to pay for someone to identify something for you, big whoop.

edit: Also regarding IWD don't forget there's a new game+ mode in Heart of Fury, so you are supposed to have something to progress towards!

Heart of Fury mode is loving terrible. The enemies hit so god drat hard that fighting in melee range is no longer an option. The game is basically just CC and AOE spells at that point. A party of 6 casters is pretty much the only real option.

Although I think there was a mod that fixed things a bit. I think it put some damage soak on armor for HOF mode. That right there sounds like it would maybe make your melee fighters viable again. Haven't tried it though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why does it matter what she is in BG2?

Because I thought the start of BG2 would be what the "optimal" ending level of BG1 was.

Basically I assumed at least the devs would use a min-maxed Imoen for internal consistency when switching from BG1 to BG2.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What's optimal for the end of BG1 isn't what's optimal for the opening dungeon of BG2

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's optimal for the end of BG1 isn't what's optimal for the opening dungeon of BG2

Sure it is: install a mod and forget it ever existed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

Sure it is: install a mod and forget it ever existed.

What are you talking about?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Heart of Fury mode is loving terrible. The enemies hit so god drat hard that fighting in melee range is no longer an option. The game is basically just CC and AOE spells at that point. A party of 6 casters is pretty much the only real option.
I had played halfway through HOF in IWD2 with a melee heavy party and I don't recall having problems. (I stopped playing because I lost interest rather than because it got too hard.) The party was fairly high level and thus I could layer buffs on my melee fighters which, combined with Heal spells, kept them going quite well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There are mods that let you skip Chateau Irenicus and the Thieves' Maze. He's making a joke that the best way to deal with both of these dungeons is to excise them entirely.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Either that or just Control-J jump from the Golem key to the genie to the Dryads to the genie (Sarevok's sword will carry Minsc forever) to the exit portal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

There are mods that let you skip Chateau Irenicus and the Thieves' Maze. He's making a joke that the best way to deal with both of these dungeons is to excise them entirely.

She, but yes. I didn't even know there was a mod to skip the Thieves' Maze!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Whose in the rest of your party? IWD is very fighter centric compared to other IE games. If the bard song isn't doing it for you, give him a bow and have him hang back casting spells, there's some cool bard only items, and the bard songs get better as he levels up, so while not necessary, I'd keep him around. For the rest of the party, you dont need a pure class divine caster or thief, so in addition to your bard and at least 1 pure fighter I'd have a fighter/thief and either a fighter/cleric or a fighter/druid. That leaves one open slot, the Bard should be able to handle most of your arcane casting needs, so maybe another fighter type like paladin, I haven't experimented with rangers enough to know if their weird pseudo dual wielding is worth the slower advancement. If you went fighter/druid, a pure class cleric can be handy for turning undead and getting party buffs slightly quicker, but know that early hame it's going to spend 90% of the time hanging in the back with a sling.

I have a Paladin, Cleric, Mage, Fighter/Thief, Bard and Ranger. I think one of my problems is I didn't do a lot of watching of how many HPs characters got on early levels, so I have a few people who are just glass. The cleric, in particular, dies all the drat time, he has fewer hit points than the mage right now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arivia posted:

She, but yes. I didn't even know there was a mod to skip the Thieves' Maze!

My bad. I don't know if such a mod exists, but I can only assume it does, after experiencing the Thieves' Maze multiple times!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Playing through BG1:EE through the first time. I'm wandering around the Cloakwood (man, gently caress spiders) with the "canon" party + my paladin PC. A thunderstorm starts. Paladin is, of course, decked out in full plate. Playing in a dark room with really nice headphones on.

Lightning strikes me (thank Amn for Paladin's resistance to electric damage), and I jump the gently caress out of my chair.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

I'm not sure what that has to do with when you dual Imoen (I know about Dungeon-be-Gone)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jastiger posted:

I've already beat IWD and the expansion. Which weapon might you be talking about? Go ahead and spoiler tag it for me.
Its a slightly obscure gotchya from the Easthaven prologue carried into the base game finale and touched back upon in the penultimate expansion dungeon.

If you solve the mermaid quest in the prologue in a way that gives her shattered blade to Jhonen, he restores it to a +5 long sword in time for the Easthaven finale. If you bring it with you to the seer's ice blacksmith, he reawakens the enchantment increasing resistances and giving several spell casts per day of utility/buff spells

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

It was said earlier that BG1 was made with the idea in mind that since it's low level D&D, your characters *are* most likely going to meet hilarious deaths, so they gave you lots of replacement options that scale with you. I've been playing that way on my most recent run. Whoops, Jaheira got exploded by an ogre before we even got to Beregost. It's alright, it's an excuse to use Garrick since I never do. And he surprisingly isn't bad. Dude is actually managing to not die.

That's a fun way to play and I've done that before. Basically, play the game ironman style with the caveat that you can reload if your main character dies, but you can't reload for other characters dying. So if a NPC gets perma killed, you're poo poo out of luck.

I found it fun because it forced me to use resurrection spells/temples which I never would have done normally as when I play without that rule I tend to just reload if one of my guys dies. It also means that it's likely that one or more of your npcs will be permanently killed at some point in your playthrough assuming you're playing on at least core rules. That makes party management interesting as you get to try out different npcs rather than just sticking with one party all the way through.

It also makes it a bit less crazy than a pure ironman run since you don't lose weeks of progress when you accidentally get your main killed, but there's still tension because your npcs can be permadead at any moment.

e: I wouldn't recommend a new player try this, but it's a fun thing for vets who want a new spin on the game

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

quote:

SetGlobal("SolamnicPrelate","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("Solamnicbuttplug","GLOBAL",1)
Seriously, which developer for BG2 had a buttplug fetish and why did people let them name variables?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Seriously, which developer for BG2 had a buttplug fetish and why did people let them name variables?

chris priestly

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Didn't Priestly finally get canned for being too insufferable even after years of being the insufferable prick with the "evil devil" as his signature and being a Reddit Elemental on the Bioware forums?

That guy sucks.

Anyway, just created my IWD2 party. It's all smallfolk: 4 halflings, 1 gnome, 1 dwarf.

Looking forward to my Ghostwise Halfling Barbarian, party leader (with weapon finesse, will eventually get ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting.) She'll hide, then emerge and stab the bejeezus out of things with daggers and short swords.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FairGame posted:

Looking forward to my Ghostwise Halfling Barbarian, party leader (with weapon finesse, will eventually get ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting.) She'll hide, then emerge and stab the bejeezus out of things with daggers and short swords.

Why not just go for longswords and axes? Short swords and daggers are pretty atrocious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taear posted:

Why not just go for longswords and axes? Short swords and daggers are pretty atrocious.

Those can't be finessed, and aren't light weapons for the purposes of two-weapon fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
In IWD2, weapon finesse kind of pales in comparison to a regular strength build, especially in conjunction with a two-hander weapon, because you get to use your bonus for accuracy AND damage.

EDIT: But don't let that get in the way of playing an interesting or fun party, not everything has to be super optimal.