Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

i'm adding this to the list of poo poo i wish i didn't know about. What an absolute bastard of a man he was.

quote:

The jury was provided with professional counselling to help them deal with the distress of seeing the photographs of Bates' injuries and the "sickening violence" of the case.

Yep

xtal has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm trying to get my head around this...
He gouged both her eyeballs out and they found stab wounds in the empty sockets :stare: :ese::psypop:

peter gabriel has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Aug 3, 2014

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

ibntumart posted:

"The gathered pumpkins stir all by themselves and make a sound like 'brrrl, brrrl, brrrl!' and begin to shake themselves...These pumpkins and melons go round the houses, stables, and rooms at night, all by themselves, and do harm to people. But it is thought that they cannot do great damage to folk, so people are not very afraid of this kind of vampire."

These sound like the cutest vampire vegetables ever.

If Digger is any indication, they are.

:3:

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

rayne503 posted:

This was a few pages back but here's a quote from the article:

"Although not true carnivores, pigs are competent predators and can kill and eat helpless humans unable to escape them."

Chickens and rats would do the same if they had the mass, they're all omnivores just like humans. Why does that freak you out? Humans eat them.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bippie Mishap posted:

Chickens and rats would do the same if they had the mass, they're all omnivores just like humans. Why does that freak you out? Humans eat them.

Probably because most people just think of pigs as harmless, dopey, indiscriminant eaters, not genuine meat lovers, let alone predators.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I recently discovered this after reading the beginning of a really sick comic book and discovered it was based on a real story, which completely ruined my entire week. God loving Dammit.

Junko Furuta was kidnapped, tortured and killed by a group of delinquent high school boys, who brought other boys to visit and rape her allegedly more than 400 times over 44 days. The amount of people who knew about her being locked up there, including the parents of the perpetrators was completely sickening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta

There's a link here with more details from the story (seems to be the same text everywhere but at least this one isn't a gore fetish site)

http://lynnaisha.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/the-true-story-of-junko-furuta/

All perpetrators are already out and some are repeat offenders, who were caught boasting about it.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Swango

some doctor currently held in supermax for killing over 60 patients, and trying to poison co workers with arsenic.

wikipedia posted:

Joseph Michael Swango (born October 21, 1954) is an American serial killer and former licensed physician. It is estimated that Swango has been involved in as many as 60 fatal poisonings of patients and colleagues, though he only admitted to causing four deaths. He was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, and is serving that sentence at the ADX Florence supermax prison in Florence, Colorado.

wikipedia posted:

Swango displayed troubling behavior during his time at SIU. Although he was a brilliant student, he preferred to work as an ambulance attendant rather than concentrate on his studies. A fascination with dying patients was noted during this time.[3] Although no one thought much of it at the time, many of Swango's assigned patients ended up "coding," or suffering life-threatening emergencies, with at least five of them dying.[1]

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

DStecks posted:

Probably because most people just think of pigs as harmless, dopey, indiscriminant eaters, not genuine meat lovers, let alone predators.

Then they've never had to deal with feral pigs. I do a lot of hiking and camping, and I'm more afraid of the pigs than any alligator or snake. They're smart as hell, weigh a couple hundred pounds but can still run at speeds up to 30mph and jump up to three feet, are really strong, and they've been known to hunt in packs. They generally won't try to take down a human adult without being provoked (which you can do unknowingly by getting between a sow and her piglets) but if you are out in the woods and swamps and have a dog or a kid with you, keep a very close eye on them in pig country.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

Also the fact these were domesticated pigs and the guy the mafia fed them was likely still alive. And so little remained after a few moments that it's apparently a pretty good way to dispose a body.

There was another news story about man eating pigs: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/01/14173510-70-year-old-oregon-farmer-eaten-by-his-hogs?lite

quote:

On Wednesday morning, Terry V. Garner, a 70-year-old Oregon farmer, went to feed his animals. Several hours later, when he hadn’t returned, a family member went to look for him and found, on the ground of the hog enclosure, his dentures.

Further investigation of the enclosure by the family member revealed that the hogs, which each weighed about 700 pounds, had nearly completely eaten the farmer, although some body parts hadn't been consumed and were strewn about the enclosure.

A pig can really eat.

BioMe has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Aug 3, 2014

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DStecks posted:

And those people would be the first to get eaten by pack of roving pigs after the apocalypse. Don't underestimate pigs and boars - they are smart and big, and will absolutely kill and eat anything that wanders into their path if they're feeling hungry. And they eat everything including the bones, leaving very few traces you were ever there.

There's a reason Robert Pickton was able to get away with his murders for so long (possibly since the early 90s), and it's because his voracious pigs destroyed the evidence for him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Aug 3, 2014

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DStecks posted:

Pigs are the least 'domesticated' of the farm animals IIRC.

After they escape they grow fur and tusks.

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/outdoors/2007/11/domestic_pigs_quickly_revert_t.html

quote:

"Any pig that gets out can revert back in a matter of months to a state where it can exist in the wild," said Brown. "It will get hairy, grow tusks and get aggressive. They're so good at adapting, and with their scavenging nature, they can get by pretty much anywhere."

So those 1000lb pink monsters in the pen can turn into a real problem if they get out.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Yeah, boars and pigs are pretty drat dangerous. Enough so that there are tons of signs in my area warning us to stay away from them. I don't remember seeing anything like that back in the States, but I also don't recall going to places where there would be many wild pigs.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
They're also pretty dang smart. It's pretty crazy watching an instructor signal 1000lb hogs to do tricks.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Herv posted:

Pigs are the least 'domesticated' of the farm animals IIRC.

After they escape they grow fur and tusks.

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/outdoors/2007/11/domestic_pigs_quickly_revert_t.html

So those 1000lb pink monsters in the pen can turn into a real problem if they get out.

As much as feral pigs are a problem, they are also delicious. When they're out there getting exercise and eating acorns and blackberries, the meat is awesome. You can always add a little conventional pork fat if you're making sausage.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

benito posted:

As much as feral pigs are a problem, they are also delicious. When they're out there getting exercise and eating acorns and blackberries, the meat is awesome. You can always add a little conventional pork fat if you're making sausage.

That very much depends on what season it is. You don't want to eat the meat of a feral hog in rut. :barf:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

And those people would be the first to get eaten by pack of roving pigs after the apocalypse. Don't underestimate pigs and boars - they are smart and big, and will absolutely kill and eat anything that wanders into their path if they're feeling hungry. And they eat everything including the bones, leaving very few traces you were ever there.

There's a reason Robert Pickton was able to get away with his murders for so long (possibly since the early 90s), and it's because his voracious pigs destroyed the evidence for him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

quote:

On March 10, 2004, it was revealed that Pickton may have ground up human flesh and mixed it with pork that he sold to the public; the province's health authority later issued a warning
:stonk: :cry:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What exactly is the reason for feral pigs turning into boars? Are domestic pigs trimmed and tusk-clipped?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Phenotypic plasticity? I have no idea, honestly. Commercially farmed pigs have been bred for specific traits and are raised in controlled conditions; maybe in the absence of a roof overhead and concrete underfoot a genetic switch of some kind flips and the recessive traits are expressed.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Answers Me posted:

There may be a better place than this to ask, but while we're on the topic: does anyone know any good books about the end of time/the death of the universe? I'm itching to freak myself out and read some now.

Also check out the Exit Mundi website: http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm
It's full of great apocalypse type stuff (although the site design has been out of fashion for over a decade).

SmockJoc has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Aug 4, 2014

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
It's intended as comedy, but a website on ways of destroying the earth physically gets into universal death toward the end: http://qntm.org/destroy

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Courtesy the airpower thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_gardening

quote:

Beginning in the 1950s, atomic gardens were a part of Atoms for Peace, a program to develop "peaceful"[2] uses of fission energy after WWII. Gamma gardens were established in laboratories in the US, Europe, parts of the former USSR, India[4] and Japan. The Atomic Gardening Society was set up in 1959 by Muriel Howorth in the UK. The youngest member of the society was Christopher Abbey (15), a student at Eastbourne College and the son of her dentist, who received a certificate of merit for propagating several species of irradiated seeds to maturity. Irradiated seeds were sold to the public by C.J. Speas, who had obtained a licence for a Cobalt-60 source; and sold seeds produced in a backyard cinderblock bunker. A number of commercial plant varieties were developed and released.[5]

Love that cold war optimism :allears:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's a legitimate technique if you're trying to make strains with particular traits.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

You left out the best part...

Wikipedia posted:

The date for the jury trial of the first six counts was initially set to start January 8, 2007, but later delayed to January 22. On that date, Pickton faced first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Frey, Abotsway, Papin, Joesbury, Wolfe and Wilson. The media ban was lifted and for the first time Canadians heard the details of what was found during the long investigation: skulls cut in half with hands and feet stuffed inside; the remains of one victim found stuffed in a garbage bag, and her blood-stained clothing found in Pickton's trailer; part of another victim's jawbone and teeth found beside Pickton's slaughterhouse; and a .22 calibre revolver with an attached dildo containing both his and a victim's DNA. In a videotaped recording played for the jury, Pickton claimed to have attached the dildo to his weapon as a makeshift silencer.

...The Dildo Gun.

Edit: Not to mention that even if that was his honest intention, you can't even suppress a revolver since the gas and noise will escape from the gap between the cylinder and the frame. But let's face it, when a cannibalistic serial killer straps a dildo to a revolver I don't think a suppressor is what's on his mind :stonk:

Wild T has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Aug 4, 2014

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Suzanne_Capper

If you thought Kelly Anne Bates thing was terrible you wont like this one. And all over a pink duffle coat and crabs.

This line really got to me

quote:

I was struck by how polite the victim was. She was constantly thanking my wife for her assistance

Why? :(

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Aug 4, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Because England. Also, because they were helping her when she desperately needed help?

How do yo participate in the kidnapping, torture, and burninating of a 16-year-old girl and get as little as twelve years for it? I long ago decided I cannot support the death penalty, but how the hell is it acceptable for any of those people to ever again breath free air and walk among the non-kidnap-torture-murder populace?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

Because England. Also, because they were helping her when she desperately needed help?

How do yo participate in the kidnapping, torture, and burninating of a 16-year-old girl and get as little as twelve years for it? I long ago decided I cannot support the death penalty, but how the hell is it acceptable for any of those people to ever again breath free air and walk among the non-kidnap-torture-murder populace?

I guess if you have to murder someone you should do it in western or northern Europe. Prison is probably like Club Med and you're only there for a little while. Get an education while you're there....Hell, murdering and European prison could be the shot in the arm someone needs!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Centripetal Horse posted:

life-meaning-life sentences happen in the UK, but are very rare. That's a good thing. I do agree that the guy in that case probably deserved more than the sentence he received, but I can't argue it with only a wikipedia page to go on. I actually remember the case when it happened, but the country was only bothered about the James Bulger case at the time, so it got a very small amount of media coverage.

I'd take our prison system (hell, justice system) over the american one, anyway.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Erghh posted:

Courtesy the airpower thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_gardening

Love that cold war optimism :allears:

I really enjoy that period of R&D in the 1950's that was pretty much "Put a nuke on it, see what happens."

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I guess if you have to murder someone you should do it in western or northern Europe. Prison is probably like Club Med and you're only there for a little while. Get an education while you're there....Hell, murdering and European prison could be the shot in the arm someone needs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issei_Sagawa

quote:

Issei Sagawa (佐川 一政 Sagawa Issei?, born April 26, 1949)[1] is a Japanese man who in 1981 murdered and cannibalized a Dutch woman named Renée Hartevelt in Paris. After his release, he became a minor celebrity in Japan and made a living through the public's interest in his crime.

quote:

Sagawa's wealthy father provided a lawyer for his defense, and after being held for two years without trial Sagawa was found legally insane and unfit to stand trial by the French judge Jean-Louis Bruguière, who ordered him held indefinitely in a mental institution.[2] After a visit by the author Inuhiko Yomota, Sagawa's account of the murder was published in Japan under the title In the Fog.[2] Sagawa's subsequent publicity and macabre celebrity likely contributed to the French authorities' decision to have him extradited to Japan. Upon arrival in Japan, he was immediately taken to Matsuzawa hospital, where examining psychologists all found him to be sane, stating that sexual perversion was the sole motivation for the murder.[2] Japanese authorities found it legally impossible to detain him because the French government refused to release court documents (which remain secret) to Japan, claiming that the case had already been dropped in France. As a result, Sagawa checked himself out of the mental institution on August 12, 1986, and has been a free man ever since.[2] Sagawa's freedom has been questioned and criticized by many

---

Something from my uni town:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_Hunters

quote:

On January 20, 2007 four employees from a hospital casualty department in Łódź were sentenced. The perpetrators were shown to have killed mostly elderly patients using the muscle relaxant pancuronium (brand name Pavulon).[2] The four workers then sold information about the deceased patients to funeral homes, so they could contact the relatives before other funeral homes could. They exacted bribes ranging from 12,000 to over 70,000 zloty

quote:

The scandal was first brought to public attention on January 23, 2002 in an article in the Polish newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza by Tomasz Patora (pl), Marcin Stelmasiak and Przemysław Witkowski. They described how the hospital workers or paramedics would call funeral homes regarding patient deaths in order to receive a bribe, and sometimes even killed patients. The dead patients were called "skins" and so the article was called "Skin Hunters"

It was fairly controversial issue at that time - while only four people were sentenced, close to 60 people were accused; it didn't help that after 11 years of court proceedings the case has been lifted, and while the court did find that these people were trading the information about deaths of patients, it found them innocent of corruption charges. The sentence for the main four was - life, 25 years, 6 years, 5 years.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Aug 4, 2014

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Answers Me posted:

There may be a better place than this to ask, but while we're on the topic: does anyone know any good books about the end of time/the death of the universe? I'm itching to freak myself out and read some now.

If you can find a copy, 'The Last Three Minutes' by Paul Davies is really, really good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

Powell lived at 97 Langworthy Road, Moston, a small Victorian terraced house, where she also dealt drugs and was involved with the handling of stolen motor vehicles.

What the gently caress. I lived at 93 Langworthy Road for a year back in the 2000s. Why did I never hear about this?!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What the gently caress. I lived at 93 Langworthy Road for a year back in the 2000s. Why did I never hear about this?!
/

I think you know more than you're letting on.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Time for not-murder unnerving wikipedia entries.
The Byford Dolphin accident, wherein four divers in a decompression chamber were killed because a tender hosed up and decompressed the entire place, killing himself as well in the process.

One hell of a descriptive paragraph:
Coward, Lucas and Bergersen were exposed to the effects of explosive decompression and died in the positions indicated by the diagram. Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient, violently exploded due to the rapid and massive expansion of internal gases. All of his thoracic and abdominal organs, and even his thoracic spine, were ejected, as were all of his limbs. Simultaneously, his remains were expelled through the narrow trunk opening left by the jammed chamber door, less than 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter. Fragments of his body were found scattered about the rig. One part was even found lying on the rig's derrick, 10 metres (30 ft) directly above the chambers. The deaths of all four divers were most likely instantaneous.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This was HUGE news when it happened and is still heart breaking today to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger

Poor James

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

peter gabriel posted:

Poor James

That would be a disturbing murder on its own, but it's made extra creepy that it was done by preteens.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

peter gabriel posted:

Poor James

The "aftermath" section on Wiki almost deserves it's own mention.

quote:

In April 2010, a 19-year-old man from the Isle of Man was given a three-month suspended prison sentence for falsely claiming in a Facebook message that one of his former work colleagues was Robert Thompson. In passing sentence, Deputy High Bailiff Alastair Montgomery said that the teenager had "put that person at significant risk of serious harm" and in a "perilous position" by making the allegation.[78]

In March 2012, a 26-year-old man from Chorley, Lancashire, was arrested after allegedly setting up a Facebook group with the title "What happened to Jamie Bulger was f**king hilarious." The man's computer was seized for further investigations.[79]

On 2 March 2010, the Ministry of Justice revealed that Jon Venables had been returned to prison for an unspecified violation of the terms of his licence of release...

On 21 June 2010, Venables was charged with possession and distribution of indecent images of children. It was alleged that he had downloaded 57 indecent images of children over a 12-month period to February 2010, and allowed other people to access the files through a peer-to-peer network.

He pleaded guilty to charges of downloading and distributing child pornography, and was given a sentence of two years' imprisonment.[101] At the court hearing, it emerged that Venables had posed in online chat rooms as 35-year-old Dawn "Dawnie" Smith, a married woman from Liverpool who boasted about abusing her 8-year-old daughter, in the hope of obtaining further child pornography. Venables had contacted his probation officer in February 2010, fearing that his new identity had been compromised at his place of work. When the officer arrived at his flat, Venables was attempting to remove or destroy the hard drive of his computer with a knife and a tin opener.[3] The officer's suspicions were aroused, and the computer was taken away for examination leading to the discovery of the child pornography, which included children as young as two being raped by adults[102][103] and penetrative sex with seven- or eight-year-olds.[3]... On 4 July 2013, it was reported that the Parole Board for England and Wales had approved the release of Venables.[115][116]

On 3 September 2013, it was reported that Venables had been released from prison.[117]

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
There's a really great movie that's very loosely based on the James Bulger case called Boy A. It stars a pre-Social Network/Spiderman Andrew Garfield as a young man who, as a child, committed a horrible crime similar to the Bulger case. The movie is about his release under a new identity and his attempts to integrate into society without anybody finding out who he is and what he did.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The whole thing from when it happened until today is all kinds of hosed up, it upset me as a child and now I have a son of Jamie's age it upsets me in a different, more raw way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014
The photo from the security footage of the boys leading Bulger away by the hand will always haunt me. The whole thing is just horrifying beyond belief.