Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

Also, when it comes to buying Lascannons to equip my tacticals I assume I have to buy devastator packs, and that these will only come with a single lascannon. Is there a more effective way to do this without burning money unnecessarily?

the devastator box comes with 2 lascannons, 2 plasma cannons, 2 heavy bolters a missile launcher and a multi-melta. So it does come with a bunch of options if you want to try using plasma in some squads or whatever but if you just want lascannons you should try ebay. people break down kits like this and sell off the pieces individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6jNOkxkr1I&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

I'm not sure if this has been linked here before or not but holy hell. :aaa:
Whoever gave that clip that title is so wrong.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Uroboros posted:

First off someone mentioned not deep striking the Thunderfire, from the army build read I was under the impression that the 3rd drop pod was meant to come empty because having that 3rd pod guarantees that the others can come in first turn, or something along those lines. To be honest I am still hazy on those rules, so it might be something that was valid in the previous edition. Either way, I haven't begun to invest money in such things, so it isn't like I don't have time to refine my choices.

Calgar actually wasn't my HQ choice until I saw this list. I had originally wanted to build an army around the Ultramarines chief librarian. That being said I assume for this army list the reason sternguards are included over damned legionnaires is because they can benefit from the chapter doctrine while the later can't, which when you are running with Calgar I assume is a big deal.

Is it really worth adding heavy weapons into my tactical squads in order to split them up? It seems like if I chuck a Lascannon into a tactical squad I'll just have 4 marines sitting in the rear field doing nothing but baby sitting this one lascannon. I see your point for needing more anti-armor, but would I just be better off using my last heavy support slot for devastators or a tri-las predator. I do appreciate the advice so far, all my reasoning is pretty much based on how I understand the game as opposed to actually having played, so I am sure certain things will become more clear to me once I get some under my belt. Also, when it comes to buying Lascannons to equip my tacticals I assume I have to buy devastator packs, and that these will only come with a single lascannon. Is there a more effective way to do this without burning money unnecessarily?

Assuming I stick with Calgar and replace those terminators with honor guard(which might be a while since I already own a 5 man terminator squad, because a friend had them built and unpainted, and was willing to part with them for 5 bucks) would the best plan be to simply stick them all in that third drop pod was sitting empty?

On the subject, of lascannons - 150 pts for 4 bs4 lascannons in a Dev squad is very good and has a ton of synergy with a thunderfire cannon as you can bolster defences. I never leave home without them and they consistently perform. If you have access to divination or go imperial fists it's even better!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Uroboros posted:

First off someone mentioned not deep striking the Thunderfire, from the army build read I was under the impression that the 3rd drop pod was meant to come empty because having that 3rd pod guarantees that the others can come in first turn, or something along those lines. To be honest I am still hazy on those rules, so it might be something that was valid in the previous edition. Either way, I haven't begun to invest money in such things, so it isn't like I don't have time to refine my choices.
No, this is totally legit- you are not forced to ride inside your Drop Pod if you don't want to. Buying an "extra" Drop Pod for a unit that doesn't want to use it is a very common tactic.

quote:

Calgar actually wasn't my HQ choice until I saw this list. I had originally wanted to build an army around the Ultramarines chief librarian. That being said I assume for this army list the reason sternguards are included over damned legionnaires is because they can benefit from the chapter doctrine while the later can't, which when you are running with Calgar I assume is a big deal.
Both units have their advantages- Sternguard arrive on turn 1, benefit from Doctrines, and have fancy ammunition; Legionaires have the invuln, Relentless, and Ignore Cover with all of their shots regardless of type.

Tigurius is amazing, by the way. He's so much better than Calgar it's not even funny.

quote:

Is it really worth adding heavy weapons into my tactical squads in order to split them up? It seems like if I chuck a Lascannon into a tactical squad I'll just have 4 marines sitting in the rear field doing nothing but baby sitting this one lascannon. I see your point for needing more anti-armor, but would I just be better off using my last heavy support slot for devastators or a tri-las predator. I do appreciate the advice so far, all my reasoning is pretty much based on how I understand the game as opposed to actually having played, so I am sure certain things will become more clear to me once I get some under my belt. Also, when it comes to buying Lascannons to equip my tacticals I assume I have to buy devastator packs, and that these will only come with a single lascannon. Is there a more effective way to do this without burning money unnecessarily?
I wouldn't say it's an automatic choice, but I think it's one worth considering- the list is, as noted, a bit light on ways to kill tanks and some Lascannons or Multimeltas would help that a lot. Having four guys with the Lascannon doing nothing isn't actually a disadvantage- remember, people are gonna want that Lascannon dead and having four dudes who die before it does can give you the critical extra turns of shooting you may need.

TriLas Predators are also quite good, no doubt about it and you have enough other tanks in your list you could certainly make use of one, but they are also a lot more expensive (you could add seven Lascannons to other units for the price of one of them) so keep that in mind. Each setup has its own respective advantages and disadvantages- in this case, the Lascannon upgrade essentially lets you take better advantage of the "dead" half of a Tactical squad, which is more efficient than buying a whole other unit.

Lascannons can be a little tricky to get, depending. The Devastator box comes with two; you can potentially get more off of Ebay as well. Many other kits also come with Lascannons, though- there are two in the Stormtalon box, six(!) in the Centurion box, two in the Razorback box, etc, etc. (The Centurion box in particular comes with a fuckload of weapons- six each of Flamers, Meltaguns, and Lascannons, plus some Missile Launchers and Hurricane Bolters that are a bit harder to use but still in there.)

quote:

Assuming I stick with Calgar and replace those terminators with honor guard(which might be a while since I already own a 5 man terminator squad, because a friend had them built and unpainted, and was willing to part with them for 5 bucks) would the best plan be to simply stick them all in that third drop pod was sitting empty?
Honor Guard in the Drop Pod wouldn't be the worst way to go, yeah; since Guard are significantly cheaper than Terminators, you'd actually be able to add some bodies to the squad- I think you can get eight of them for the same price as the Terminator squad? Maybe less if you stick some combat upgrades on them, like a few Meltabombs, Power Fists, or whatever. A mix of Power Mauls and Power Swords on their weapons is also probably good.

If your friends are generous, they may also let you use those Terminators as Storm Shield/Thunder Hammer guys instead of regular Terminators, which would also be a lot better. TH/SS are pretty beastly in combat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cataphract posted:

max unit size is 5, but I played a guy who took two CAD and had 6 as solo units. that was super effective cause they're fast, can grab maelstrom objectives and take potshots at side armour and having to waste a whole units shooting to only get rid of one is super annoying.

Considering I don't have any buggies this seems like the best idea for the time being.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

edit: ah gently caress, wrong thread

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

What the hell is that? Excerpts from the next 40k movie?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Raphus C posted:

I wasn't able to watch the whole thing (it's a 30 minute play for crying out loud), but it's pretty well put together. I want to know what happens to long haird blond girl; does she make it into the SoB? Does she avenge her commissar boyfriend against the eldar, orks and tau?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Raphus C posted:

Insanely dedicated chinese cosplayers as far as I've manage to surmise after skipping through the whole thing.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

That's rough man. For what it's worth they'll get a good home.

E-mail sent.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So I bought Stormclaw primarily for the rulebook when I saw it at my FLGS, and decided to sell the Space Wolf and Ork bitz to Shadow Daishi and ANAmal.net, respectively. Because he's one of the greatest bros of all time, and just started playing 40k this summer, I painted up the Wolf Lord for Shadow Daishi, to hand over when we game at my folks' place in two weeks. I'm pretty happy with the result. I did some touch-up work after these photos on the gems and a couple of other spots, but it wasn't worth doing new photos:

It's also an early birthday gift, since his birthday is at the end of August.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

AbusePuppy posted:

Tigurius is amazing, by the way. He's so much better than Calgar it's not even funny.

If this is the case and I decide to revert back to using him as opposed to Calgar is there a recommended way to adjust the Army? I assume I would keep the core of tacticals and sternguard, drop the terminators, which frees me up roughly 300 points.

AbusePuppy posted:

TriLas Predators are also quite good, no doubt about it and you have enough other tanks in your list you could certainly make use of one, but they are also a lot more expensive (you could add seven Lascannons to other units for the price of one of them) so keep that in mind. Each setup has its own respective advantages and disadvantages- in this case, the Lascannon upgrade essentially lets you take better advantage of the "dead" half of a Tactical squad, which is more efficient than buying a whole other unit.

When you say 7 lascannons for its price I assume we are discounting the price of the dude holding it. In any event I could only cram 3 total into my tactical squads, for the added cost halving my offensive capabilities. I could see myself going with maybe 1 on in this fashion to have a unit to camp my rear area as was suggested, but I split every squad would I just be better off buying razorbacks since my rhinos would be going forward with only 5 guys? From what I've read Razorbacks are highly points ineffective.

Going off of a possible switch out of Tiggy, would I be better dropping him in a Devastator squad of Lascannons, and using him to buff their shooting? Ultimately this is going to leave me with the same question I had before. Is it totally fine to essentially leave the sternguard alone to die without backup from Calgar and the terminators he was meant to bring before?

AbusePuppy posted:

Honor Guard in the Drop Pod wouldn't be the worst way to go, yeah; since Guard are significantly cheaper than Terminators, you'd actually be able to add some bodies to the squad- I think you can get eight of them for the same price as the Terminator squad? Maybe less if you stick some combat upgrades on them, like a few Meltabombs, Power Fists, or whatever. A mix of Power Mauls and Power Swords on their weapons is also probably good.

If your friends are generous, they may also let you use those Terminators as Storm Shield/Thunder Hammer guys instead of regular Terminators, which would also be a lot better. TH/SS are pretty beastly in combat.

Thanks, I might go this route, and then bump the army total value up to 2000 with a tri-las since anti-tank seems a big concern.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

AbusePuppy posted:

Im not saying he isn't good - but if he is your only psyker on the table even he will be outclassed by someone bringing a lot of psychic power. He IS good - but not as good as he was in 6th.

Best use for Tigirius (I have found) is in support of backfield units holding objectives where he can guide long range fire and invuln units to protect them.

Calgar is still an awesome model and great unit. Don't dismiss him.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Sulecrist posted:

Painted this test model for my Chaos Kill Team today. Kinda went overboard on technical paints. It's a little brighter in person.

This looks pretty amazing!

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Just finished Yarrick for my Steel Legion. Feels good doing a character model after painting so many little yellow coats over and over.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Doesn't Tigurius reroll failed Psychic Tests? and have something that prevents Perils of the Warp?

If so .. summmoooon deeeeeeeemmmmmmooooooons.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
As long as we're asking for list advice, how does this look for 1850?
code:
+++ 1850 painted  (1849pts) +++
+++ 1850pt Space Marines: Codex (2013),Inquisition: Codex (2013) Roster +++
+++ (Combined Arms Detachment, Inquisitorial Detachment)) +++

Selections:
Space Marines: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) Selections:
+ (No Category) + (225pts)
    * Chapter Tactics
        Ultramarines

* Command Squad (225pts) 
        3x Bolt Pistol, Company Standard (15pts), Frag and Krak Grenades,
        3x Plasma Gun (45pts), Power Armour, Space Marine Bikes (35pts),
        3x Veteran (60pts)
        * Apothecary (35pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
        * Company Champion (35pts) 
            (Honour or Death)
            Combat Shield, Power Sword

+ HQ + (360pts)
    * Chapter Master (250pts)
        Artificer Armor (20pts), Bike (20pts), The Shield Eternal (50pts),
        Thunder Hammer (30pts)

* Librarian (110pts)  (Codex: Space Marines p80)
        Mastery Level 2 (25pts)
        * Power Armour (20pts) 
            Force Sword, Space Marine Bike (20pts)

+ Troops + (630pts)
    * Bike Squad (Troops) (140pts) 
        2x Grav-gun (30pts) (Graviton), 4x Space Marine Biker (84pts)
        * Biker Sergeant (26pts) 
            Bolt pistol, Melta Bombs (5pts)

* Scout Squad (70pts) 
        Camo Cloaks (10pts), 4x Scouts (44pts), 4x Sniper Rifle (4pts)
        * Scout Sergeant (12pts) 
            Sniper Rifle (1pts)

* Tactical Squad (210pts) 
        Plasma Cannon (15pts), Plasma Gun (15pts), Rhino (35pts),
        9x Space Marine (126pts)
        * Space Marine Sergeant (19pts) 
            Bolt pistol, Bolter, Melta Bombs (5pts)

* Tactical Squad (210pts) 
        Plasma Cannon (15pts), Plasma Gun (15pts), Rhino (35pts),
        9x Space Marine (126pts)
        * Space Marine Sergeant (19pts) 
            Bolt pistol, Bolter, Melta Bombs (5pts)

+ Fast Attack + (250pts)
    * Stormtalon Gunship (125pts)
        Skyhammer Missile Launcher (15pts), Twin-Linked Assault Cannon

* Stormtalon Gunship (125pts) 
        Skyhammer Missile Launcher (15pts), Twin-Linked Assault Cannon

+ Heavy Support + (240pts)
    * Predator (140pts) 
        Lascannons (40pts), Twin-Linked Lascannons (25pts)

* Thunderfire Cannon (100pts) 

Inquisition: Codex (2013) (Inquisitorial Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (144pts)
    * Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (72pts) 
        (Independent Character, Stubborn)
        Bolt Pistol, Force Sword, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour (8pts),
        Psyk-out Grenades (*), 3x Servo Skulls (9pts) (*)
        * Psyker (Mastery Level 1) (30pts) 

* Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (72pts) 
        (Independent Character, Stubborn)
        Bolt Pistol, Force Sword, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour (8pts),
        Psyk-out Grenades (*), 3x Servo Skulls (9pts) (*)
        * Psyker (Mastery Level 1) (30pts) 

Its Ultramarines because that's what I have painted; I'd probably be better served with White Scars or Ravenguard but I'm not repainting them.

The risks I can see are that the storm talons may not come on quickly enough to be effective AA, and I'm pretty light on anti-tank outside of them. My predator will have a giant target painted on him for sure. The giant bike group could also get tied up by a horrible tar pit, but I'm hoping the bike troops can screen some of that out. The chapter master will probably join up with the librarian and command squad (you can have multiple ICs join a unit, right?) and then I'll probably go telepathy looking for invisibility. One of the inquisitors will hang back to give prescience to the TFC who should be hiding somewhere, and the other will probably sit with one of the plasma cannon tac squads in ruins or a forest.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 3, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd go with more Psychic Master Levels and I wouldn't worry about my predator if you manage to get access to Telepathy or Divination as you could give it a buff spell.

It looks good, I think your Command Squad should have gravguns.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Ruined? That's a funny way of spelling "greatly improved". :raise:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I've played a couple games of 7E, and decided 'eh, gently caress it. I still own an army.' Anyone have a spare copy of the main rulebook or mini rulebook they'd be willing to ship to the western US for a fair value of money-dollars?

If so, please shoot me a message at darkpriestofcthulhu at gmail

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Uroboros posted:

If this is the case and I decide to revert back to using him as opposed to Calgar is there a recommended way to adjust the Army? I assume I would keep the core of tacticals and sternguard, drop the terminators, which frees me up roughly 300 points.
I think he would fit fairly well into the stuff you have now- Tigurius is just so flexible he can do pretty much whatever you need him to. Offensive buffs? Go Divination. Defensive buffs? Go Telepathy. Personal combat buffs? Go Biomancy. He's just a really good guy who can do all sorts of handy stuff. If you dropped the Termies and turned Calgar into Tiggy, you could do a lot with the points- more Tacticals, more Sternguard, heavy weapons for the Tacticals, a Predator or other heavy hitter in the HS slot, some Bikes or Attack Bikes, another Sternguard or Command Squad unit in a Pod; you've got a lot of options there.

quote:

When you say 7 lascannons for its price I assume we are discounting the price of the dude holding it. In any event I could only cram 3 total into my tactical squads, for the added cost halving my offensive capabilities. I could see myself going with maybe 1 on in this fashion to have a unit to camp my rear area as was suggested, but I split every squad would I just be better off buying razorbacks since my rhinos would be going forward with only 5 guys? From what I've read Razorbacks are highly points ineffective.
Yeah, you wouldn't actually be able to get seven Lascannons unless you put them on the Sternguard, which I wouldn't recommend. Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to put those Lascannons in the backfield- driving them forward inside the Rhino, parking in midfield, and putting up a 24" bubble of "tanks, stay away" is not at all a bad plan.

Razorbacks, sadly, are not a great buy these days. The points bump definitely hurt them unnecessarily.

quote:

Going off of a possible switch out of Tiggy, would I be better dropping him in a Devastator squad of Lascannons, and using him to buff their shooting? Ultimately this is going to leave me with the same question I had before. Is it totally fine to essentially leave the sternguard alone to die without backup from Calgar and the terminators he was meant to bring before?
Tiggy supporting some guys in the backfield can be a very solid option, yeah. Invisibility, Shrouding, Perfect Timing, and Prescience are all great buffs for a unit like that and Tiggy can usually get the powers he needs if you're dedicated. The sad reality of things is that Sternguard, while very cool and quite hard-hitting, are no tougher than a normal Space Marine (and much more threatening/expensive), so they are almost inevitably going to die. Having Tiggy with them could add some protection, but even Invisibility or the like would really only delay the inevitable- those guys are enough of a threat that the enemy WILL kill them.

Ghost Hand posted:

Im not saying he isn't good - but if he is your only psyker on the table even he will be outclassed by someone bringing a lot of psychic power. He IS good - but not as good as he was in 6th.

Best use for Tigirius (I have found) is in support of backfield units holding objectives where he can guide long range fire and invuln units to protect them.

Calgar is still an awesome model and great unit. Don't dismiss him.
It certainly is a lot more limiting than before, but with rerolls to cast and most of the powers he wants being WC1, Tiggy can pretty consistently get off the spells he needs even when totally unsupported. You're looking at ~7 dice most turns with two-ish relevant powers, which with the reroll is quite consistent. Not as perfectly reliable as last time around, certainly, but still doing what you need almost every turn.

I'm not saying Calgar is bad, exactly, but he's a HUGE investment into a single guy- punches and shooting alone won't ever justify him. You need to take advantage of his traits and morale-boosting to really make him anywhere near worthwhile, and that requires a pretty large (1850+) army to function. I would rank him in the "somewhat niche but useable" category but certainly not a strongly-competitive model.

I try not to steer folks away from using models that they want to, but at the same time I think it's fair to at least give people the info about how good stuff is. It's very easy to fall into the "bigger = better" trap when you're learning the game and even for more experienced players, but honestly so long as people have fun with their little toy soldiers I really don't care what sort of army they want to play. I enjoy designing kooky niche armies that have some sort of unusual theme to them just as much as I enjoy optimizing rock-hard tournament lists because it's essentially the same process.

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't Tigurius reroll failed Psychic Tests? and have something that prevents Perils of the Warp?

If so .. summmoooon deeeeeeeemmmmmmooooooons.

He does reroll psychic tests, but has no way to dodge Perils.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Fix posted:

Don't sweat it.

So uh, how cheap are Space Marines going to be before Ork boyz get a points drop? My money is on 12pts.
Speaking of regular Marines, how much did Razorbacks get a price hike? Is it enough for me to laugh because GK ones are still 40pts with ML1?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

So uh, how cheap are Space Marines going to be before Ork boyz get a points drop? My money is on 12pts.

Remember when orks boys were, what, 10ppm two codices ago? 14ppm model for a marine isn't bad when they have to pay for a Sergent and special weapons again (as the rumors go?). You are still getting 10 orks with a nob for the price of 5 marines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

NOVA updated their missions for each roung etc.. , it's got some really cool interesting missions in it and secondaries. Anyway I thought it was a cool read as it's all asymmetrical missions. If you're wondering what that it just read the first part it explains it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XJ20WB96DzRE635aokDX3XbhOHzw4Xt0UobUZ5j56JM/pub

I like them. They look like a lot of fun and I'm definitely going to try some out with my games.

I think I like Round 4 , Gamblers and Investors that's interesting.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 4, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Played Maelstrom of War for the first time. The Escalation scenario is quite neat: you get more cards as the game goes on and you have less assets to chase the objectives, making good management important.

However, on the next table my friends were also playing with the objective cards and it was 20-2 before the other guy conceded. One player just kept getting good hands and drawing tons of extra cards. Also, drop pods are ridiculous now. They really should FAQ that only transports with actual troops inside score.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Just for kicks, after the twin linked assault cannon razorback turrets were released from Forge World, I wrote a list for my Black Templars utilizing a couple against a friend's eldar, and again against some footcrons. I was quite satisfied with their performance. Shredded some infantry, kept skimmers and bikes jinking, and even stripped some hull points. They're good for anti aircraft duty as well.

10/10 would assault cannon again

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

LordAba posted:

Remember when orks boys were, what, 10ppm two codices ago? 14ppm model for a marine isn't bad when they have to pay for a Sergent and special weapons again (as the rumors go?). You are still getting 10 orks with a nob for the price of 5 marines.

I remember when choppas made armor saves no better then 4+ for that price and space marines were more expensive. Now 10 shoota boys with t-shirt saves are 70 points without a nob. For that 70 points you can get 5 grey hunters, who have +1 strength, double the ballistic skill with longer range weapons, double the initiative with counterattack, a 3+ armour save and higher leadership with a special rule that always lets them regroup automatically. They got a 2 point per model reduction and are almost as effective as before, yet ork boys in the preceding codex received a price hike while being nerfed. Maybe that's what he was alluding to.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

krursk posted:

I remember when choppas made armor saves no better then 4+ for that price and space marines were more expensive. Now 10 shoota boys with t-shirt saves are 70 points without a nob. For that 70 points you can get 5 grey hunters, who have +1 strength, double the ballistic skill with longer range weapons, double the initiative with counterattack, a 3+ armour save and higher leadership with a special rule that always lets them regroup automatically. They got a 2 point per model reduction and are almost as effective as before, yet ork boys in the preceding codex received a price hike while being nerfed. Maybe that's what he was alluding to.

Nailed it!

When I first started playing (4th), Orks were still 6 points a model for both choppa and shoota loadouts, were fearless if they had over 10 models and Space Marines were 17 points for a dude with a Bolter (no grenades or bolt pistol) and couldn't combat squad for MSU-spam. There's no way that two Ork boyz (who gained free frag 'nades and had a nerf to their morale/staying power via Mob Rule, but stayed the same cost/went up a point) are worth one Space Marine (who is better than their 4th ed incarnation, got a 3 point price drop since then and now has free bolt pistols, frag and krak grenades) when the ratio used to be almost 3-to-1 Orks vs Marines. Of course this is in a vaccum that doesn't assume the WAAAGH! bonus.

Poor Orks are the only faction who didn't get a points drop on their basic troops, which is more of a kick in the teef since this is their first codex since 4th ed. I feel sorry for the greenskins, and I don't even play them. Maybe GW just don't like green armies :vomarine: Dark Angels :vomarine:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

Nailed it!

When I first started playing (4th), Orks were still 6 points a model for both choppa and shoota loadouts, were fearless if they had over 10 models and Space Marines were 17 points for a dude with a Bolter (no grenades or bolt pistol) and couldn't combat squad for MSU-spam. There's no way that two Ork boyz (who gained free frag 'nades and had a nerf to their morale/staying power via Mob Rule, but stayed the same cost/went up a point) are worth one Space Marine (who is better than their 4th ed incarnation, got a 3 point price drop since then and now has free bolt pistols, frag and krak grenades) when the ratio used to be almost 3-to-1 Orks vs Marines. Of course this is in a vaccum that doesn't assume the WAAAGH! bonus.

Poor Orks are the only faction who didn't get a points drop on their basic troops, which is more of a kick in the teef since this is their first codex since 4th ed. I feel sorry for the greenskins, and I don't even play them. Maybe GW just don't like green armies :vomarine: Dark Angels :vomarine:

Let's be fair, though- that was right after Orks got their big price drop (10pts to 6pts) and right before Space Marines got theirs (17pts to 16pts with all the fixins) and it was a state of affairs that lasted for, what, four or six months? In a percentage comparison, Orks are still a lot better off than Marines in terms of total price cuts (60% of initial price for a Choppa boy, compared to 80% of initial price for a Tactical Marine) and have not really lost much. Shoota Boyz going up a point was probably unnecessary, but they're still a pretty strong unit- making Boyz less than 6pts per model would have been pretty crazy, and Orks did at least see a price drop on Gretchin to make them more comparable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I still liked the Choppas reducing armour save but it was crazy overpowered versus some things.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Let's be fair, though- that was right after Orks got their big price drop (10pts to 6pts) and right before Space Marines got theirs (17pts to 16pts with all the fixins) and it was a state of affairs that lasted for, what, four or six months? In a percentage comparison, Orks are still a lot better off than Marines in terms of total price cuts (60% of initial price for a Choppa boy, compared to 80% of initial price for a Tactical Marine) and have not really lost much. Shoota Boyz going up a point was probably unnecessary, but they're still a pretty strong unit- making Boyz less than 6pts per model would have been pretty crazy, and Orks did at least see a price drop on Gretchin to make them more comparable.

Orks lost stuff along with the 4 point price drop (like gimping Marines and Terminators to a 4+ save), whereas Marines gained wargear with their point drop. The old choppas were absurdly powerful though so it made sense to change it, but boyz got a crossgrade with their nerfed Mob Rule. At least GW were nice enough to give 'gaunts and Hormagaunts a price drop to go with the IB nerf.

Actually, look at Hormagaunts. They're 3" faster than Choppaboyz outside of WAAAAGH! turn, have higher initiative, the same base strength, are fearless within synapse range, have the same save and WS, get AP6 on their melee attacks (not really noteworthy, but at least they ignore the common Ork t-shirt saves), one less attack, one less toughness and no grenades, but are a point cheaper. Shrugging off pinning and leadership tests is huge for horde armies, and Hormagaunts can more reliably cross the battlefield without running off.

I could say that Marines don't need to be 2 points cheaper than they were in 5th, 16ppm was fine for them since they gained ~3 points' worth of wargear the same edition they dropped from 17ppm. Shoota boyz would've been alright if they stayed at 6 points, but Choppaboyz should've gone down to 5 points, especially after Furious Charge lost the initiative boost.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Don't read Damnation of Pythos. Its not that its a bad book, its painfully average. However its utterly pointless, nothing happens.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Using deathstrike missiles as dakkajet engines may have been an inspired choice, I don't know. Pictures tomorrow once I finish assembling the landing gears from sprues.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

I could say that Marines don't need to be 2 points cheaper than they were in 5th, 16ppm was fine for them since they gained ~3 points' worth of wargear the same edition they dropped from 17ppm. Shoota boyz would've been alright if they stayed at 6 points, but Choppaboyz should've gone down to 5 points, especially after Furious Charge lost the initiative boost.

The problem with looking at a unit in a vacuum is that it sucks. :smuggo:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Orks aren't the only race that didn't get a points drop on their basic model. IIRC, Guardians and Fire Warriors both went up a point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Orks aren't the only race that didn't get a points drop on their basic model. IIRC, Guardians and Fire Warriors both went up a point.

Fire Warriors dropped a point, from 10 to 9.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Whatever, 6 points a boy is a very reasonable price IMO. I wasn't super happy about shootas costing more, but to be perfectly honest they're a lot better than slugga boyz.

Just be happy most of your elites and fast attacks are cheaper. Stormboyz are a full 25% less expensive! Tankbustas are actually good now!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Jsut chiming in to say that Grimnar Claus is the most stupid loving thing in a while, and not in a good way.

SRM posted:

My German's pretty rusty; what's the gist of it?

A sentence down the text says that Bjorn is basically permanently grumpy and pissed because he can't stand all the ornamentation and wolf pelts and poo poo they're heaping on his chassis.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Magni posted:

A sentence down the text says that Bjorn is basically permanently grumpy and pissed because he can't stand all the ornamentation and wolf pelts and poo poo they're heaping on his chassis.

One of the better books Black Library have put out, called Battle of The Fang, goes into this too. He is disgusted by the amount of ornamentation on what he considers his coffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

serious gaylord posted:

One of the better books Black Library have put out, called Battle of The Fang, goes into this too. He is disgusted by the amount of ornamentation on what he considers his coffin.

Seconded. This is one of my favorite 40k Books.

• Locked thread