Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Sounds good to me, and I believe my co-leaders.

The Neo-Milvians join the Coalition for Roman Stability

We invite all other parties to join with us in a display of unity against the oncoming chaos.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Also, I don't want this session to just continue literally forever, so voting for parties will close Sunday afternoon (Noon EST at the very earliest, maybe later depending on when I get a chance to count up all the votes). There will still be time to submit bills, form coalitions, and finishing voting for the leader of Monternos after that. But negotiating coalitions will be a lot less irritating if we know how many people are in which parties!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rincewind posted:

That seems like a fair enough way to do it. Note that the largest party would still get its four bills even if it were outside the coalition, but the coalition's bills would get precedence in the event of a conflict, and the coalition would be "in control" in terms of steering the general direction of Rome until the next session.

That sound good to everyone?

Sounds like a plan.

'Ey! Monternos! If my countin's right, current leadership vote is 5 - 2 in favor of Chronis-Jag, and 'm recommending we get this matter done sooner and join that Coalition, all right?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The New Marians Join the Coaltion for Roman Stability.

Frankly, I'd rather not see us end up like Denmark, poor, poor Denmark.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
mcclay and JT Jag are now the leaders of Monternos.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Ah yes, good. The Monternos party will ##Join the Coaliton
Also, all party members get on and add renomonty on Skype. So we can like, have actual organisation and stuff.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

I appreciate that you have concluded this bit of parliamentary policy, Hira. Some people might ask: Senator Jag, why need you run Monternos jointly? I say that after the effective term of party leadership under the Hira family, and how key Monternos has been in steering Rome in the right direction --- forward --- that for now it takes at least two men to do one great woman's job.

Now to new policy. Monternos hereby joins the Coalition of Roman Stability.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rincewind posted:

Actually, here is a fun activity for Discordian senators:

In one sentence, describe how you think the empire could be made better. Not your flamboyant scheme, not a message to rile up the mob, but a mission statement for your political philosophy. How you'd try to steer the new state, if the old one comes down.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité, et la république unie et indivisible, ou la mort.

Basically I would ideally like to see things really start to get interesting around the late 1700s, but being a few hundred years ahead of schedule wouldn't bother me none. :v:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

In one sentence, describe how you think the empire could be made better. Not your flamboyant scheme, not a message to rile up the mob, but a mission statement for your political philosophy. How you'd try to steer the new state, if the old one comes down.

In addition to whatever Patter Song was talking about, I want to see a return of the sovereign rights the citizens of Rome once enjoyed. The passage of power from the de Mowbrays to the Radziwills happened in the presence of a flag with gold fringe, which means it happened under military jurisdiction instead of senatorial. Due to this one weird legal trick, we freemen of the land are not obligated to pay your taxes, and all laws since that time are null and void. And while no court has yet recognized any of this, I'm sure vindication is only a matter of time.

Anyways I have a legislative idea to discuss, a monetary deregulation act. It would end the tyranny of the bankers on government:

•The Empress will be barred from spending diplomatic points lowering inflation.
•No inflation reducing advisers may be hired.
•The local markets and betting houses will be made to recognize the currency I invented as legal tender in payment of debts.

I don't know how a movement without leaders is supposed to submit legislation. If one of the mainstream parties hears this populist demand and gets a bill with these points passed, I will resign from the Discordians for two legislative sessions, easing pressure on you.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

In addition to whatever Patter Song was talking about, I want to see a return of the sovereign rights the citizens of Rome once enjoyed. The passage of power from the de Mowbrays to the Radziwills happened in the presence of a flag with gold fringe, which means it happened under military jurisdiction instead of senatorial. Due to this one weird legal trick, we freemen of the land are not obligated to pay your taxes, and all laws since that time are null and void. And while no court has yet recognized any of this, I'm sure vindication is only a matter of time.

Actually, if this was at all true, you would technically be conscripted and therefore under my jurisdiction as your commanding officer. Thusly I would order you to pay back all the money you owe me in proper silver coinage and to stop squatting on my family's lawn under threat of swift and excessively painful disciplinary action.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Mantis42 posted:

•The Empress will be barred from spending diplomatic points lowering inflation.
•No inflation reducing advisers may be hired.
•The local markets and betting houses will be made to recognize the currency I invented as legal tender in payment of debts.

Whoa whoa whoa, so you're saying that I could lose money instead of being able to keep it all hidden away in my Sicilian getaway? Senator Moneybeard, I implore you to join the Coalition for Roman Stability! Please, think of the money!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I thank my colleagues who answered the call. When the history books are written, they will show that the Neo-Milvians, the New Marians, and the Monternos stood together against against the onrushing darkness, shielding not only their institutions but their Empire. It is my fervent hope that this heralds the dawn of a new era of cooperation in this august institution, so that we best place Rome on the path to further greatness.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

sniper4625 posted:

I thank my colleagues who answered the call. When the history books are written, they will show that the Neo-Milvians, the New Marians, and the Monternos stood together against against the onrushing darkness, shielding not only their institutions but their Empire. It is my fervent hope that this heralds the dawn of a new era of cooperation in this august institution, so that we best place Rome on the path to further greatness.

I agree. We must stand as one against those would sow discord.

Even though we are certain to disagree in the future, I do hope that we can rise above petty spite and bickering that infests the politics of some nations and remain firm in our resolve to work together for the benefit of Rome.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tried my hand at some banner making. (Monternos why couldn't you have a red icon!! :argh:)

Senator Squid, I heartily agree. While I believe that dissent and disagreement is a vital part of our work in this chamber, I certainly do not wish for the proceedings to devolve into petty bickering and back-and-forth. If this chamber is weak, the Empire will be weak, and that is something we cannot afford!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 3, 2014

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

At the moment, I would prefer to remain a card-carrying member of Monternos only.

OOC: I'm not really in the mood for roleplaying frequently enough to want to commit to skyping. I wish you all the best, though.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Hey yo, party members. We have an IRC on synIRC
Channel is #monternos.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

mcclay posted:

Channel is #monternos.

Yeah, we figure it's a little lower-key than skyping. Just drop in the channel and chat about policy if you want.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I'd assume it's more politics than anything; pacifism would be ideal, but with the way the senate is currently constructed, it'd never happen. Might as well go for what's realistic, rather than fall on our sword by going to hard.

That's basically the idea. We need to figure out a certain approach before we can really start getting on the idea of total pacifism, so we might as well start building up our defenses before we start.

Alright, then I ##Submit the Revised Black Tortoise Act as a minor bill, which goes as follows:

- Buildup and repair of border forts shall be given a higher priority than rebuilding the army itself.
- Homeland administration resources shall be invested in further improving the frontier provinces.
- Consideration should be given to taking the Defensive idea set.

With that, the Inclusionist slate is finalized and ready to go:

Core bills:
Spirit of Athens I
Department of Cultural Protection and Representation

Minor bills:
Revised Black Tortoise
No One Stops My Party

Next legislation session, parties other than the Komnenian Restoration and the Da Qin will be given precedence to submit bills.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

As Consul of the New Marian party, I would like to show our plans for a general reformation of the army, that is, I ##Submit the New Marian Reforms

-Noble heritage is no longer automatically grounds for a commissioned rank and cannot be used as an appeal in military tribunals.

-The Quality idea group is to be acquired as soon as possible.

-As the armies of the doux have been dissolved permanently, the time for a general reorganization of the army has begun. The armies of Rome are now proper legions, loyal to commanders who are loyal to the Empress/eror and to be referred to as such, including military legions temporarily hired on to supplement our ranks.

-The core of these armies are not to be drawn from peasant levies, but a corps of professional soldiers, if at all possible, though desperate times may necessitate widespread conscription.

-The army is to be mostly infantry, followed by cavalry and then by artillery in the following ratio: 50/30/20.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 3, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Rincewind posted:

I should also note that the Discordians will send the current political system down in flames, and not necessarily the entire country.

Things will probably be a lot rougher this early in the game, before there's really been much philosophical thought put into more modern forms of government yet.

Actually, here is a fun activity for Discordian senators:

This is optional, of course. And likely not too important this early in the game. But since the Discordians are attracting notice earlier than I planned on, I suppose it's never too early to start determining the shape of the opposition to the status quo.

Do you remember what happened the last time I suggested we shut down the Black Chamber?

I do.

I remember fear, contempt, and abject terror. I remember the sudden rise of the banners of the Red Hand. I remember how it turned out that the senators are little more than the Emeperor's made men, given a ball to play and a court to play it in, but strictly forbidden to ever go out of bounds. The Byzantine Empire is not ruled by enlightened monarchs seeking to bring prosperity to everyone, it is ruled by tyrants seeking nothing but absolute power, and the Black Chamber is their arm against dissent.

An Emperor who dabbles in subterfuge, assassinations and murders is dishonourable, and should not be trusted to not turn those tools against their own subjects. In fact, they already have a history of doing so, and even if the cases we can definitely confirm were usually rebellious Doukes, the act remains a surrender of the state - who should always seek to end conflicts in a manner that is just and does not transgress against the law of the realm.

I am not against monarchy, or the Senate, or against the Byzantine Imperial Government. In fact, I find that its uniqueness should be preserved and further developed into a system better and wiser than any other the world has ever known. But I am against tyranny, and using cloak and dagger against the people definitely makes one a tyrant.

The last time I proposed that we be freed of that influence I was shouted down by the senators - were they corrupt, cowardly or simply blinded by the ease with which they could dispose of foreign rulers and the Doukes they so hated, I do not know and do not wish to find out. But I will no longer beg in the Senate, nor seek to curry their favour, nor otherwise press for my goals within their system. I align with Discord to present them with an alternative: either give me what I want, or I will push for the order to break down and simply take it. Call it terrorism or black mail for all I care, but here I stand.

I will seek transparency, honesty, and openness in the Empire, and start by shutting down the Black Chamber.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Peace be upon all of you. I am senator Shogeton, here from the Anatolia. I wish to ## join Inclusionists and the Guiding Light

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Statement of Intent:

The Son of Heaven, may he live ten thousand years, has never had a Senate to interfere with his duty to arbitrate between Heaven, Earth, and Man, so why should our Empress put up with such a barbaric institution blocking the filial connection between her and her subjects?

The Inclusionists

Gurgen II Qutuzid

Maybe not, be he also has more bureaucrats than Rome has inhabitants. Just saying.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If we don't form a coalition right now, the Discordians win, and everything we've fought for, everything we've preserved against barbarian hordes, great heathen armies, and the march of time will be swept away! Please, join us!

And for the first and most likely only time, Cyrahzax, we do agree on something. Senator Whitlock, I'd advise us to join the Coalition for Roman Stability. Who's to say these Anarchists would look upon the glory that is diversity and decide to keep it?

Shogeton posted:

Peace be upon all of you. I am senator Shogeton, here from the Anatolia. I wish to ## join Inclusionists and the Guiding Light

Be welcomed, Senator Shogeton! The Inclusionists are happy to have you in our ranks, just like we do everyone else who know that diversity is the pride of the Byzantine Rome.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I thank my colleague for his welcome. Yes, to wish to claim inclusionism, to not only welcome different cultures, but to accept them as they are, and let them enrich our great beloved Empire is not some sign of weakness, it is a celebration of Rome's greatest strength. It is perhaps not the easiest path, but it leads to the brightest future. And I believe the well respected bible had a story about two paths, one of them easy and one of them hard, no?

Also, I second that we join the Coalition. While I understand senator Tevery's concerns over the black chamber, to throw everyone into disorder seems like a horrifying consequence.

Also, do we have a skype thing going as well?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Shogeton posted:

Also, do we have a skype thing going as well?

OOC: Not that I know of. If not we should get one, just so that we'd be able to speak much freely and quickly. Just add Luhood on Skype, and we'll get something going!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

It is heartening that in the face of anarchy, those with Rome's best interests in mind, even with wildly differing visions of what that entails, are able to band together and oppose those who would crumble this very edifice in which we stand.

We stand with the Empress, we stand with the Empire. This hearkens back to the Milvian-Old Roman coalition at the height of the Komemnian Era, which saw the Pentarchy restored and our borders at their greatest extent for a thousand years. We are Rome, and thus we are Civilization itself: We are people of faith and people of wealth, people of loyal service and people of opportunity. We defy barbarism and ruin, and are united against those who champion those perverse notions.

To the idealists amongst the Discordians, those who wish for radical change with the best intentions as opposed to those who wish to see it all burn because they like the flames, it is not too late. We still have the capacity and the ability to achieve great things if we commit ourselves to the task, to work towards the goal of a better future for Rome. We are served better as allies than as anarchists, we can work better together rather than outside law and reason. I extend the open hand towards you: Renounce allegiance to that which would destroy us all, and join us in truly building a better, Roman world for one and all.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

NewMars posted:

As Consul of the New Marian party, I would like to show our plans for a general reformation of the army, that is, I ##Submit the New Marian Reforms

-Noble heritage is no longer automatically grounds for a commissioned rank and cannot be used as an appeal in military tribunals.

-As the armies of the doux have been dissolved permanently, the time for a general reorganization of the army has begun. The armies of Rome are now proper legions, loyal to commanders who are loyal to the Empress/eror and to be referred to as such, including military legions temporarily hired on to supplement our ranks.

-These armies are not to be drawn from peasant levies, but a corps of professional soldiers, if at all possible, though desperate times may necessitate widespread conscription.

-The army is to be mostly infantry, followed by cavalry and then by artillery in the following ratio: 50/30/20.

I'd like to amend your bill Consul as I think it is every man or dare I say even a woman's duty, to be at a physical and tactical level to take up arms at a moments notice to defend the empire in dire times. Hence I feel that it is only just that every citizen is battle ready enough to be drawn into the army at a moments notice, and that if citizens are too poor to pay taxes that they can instead substitute this with service to the army's levies. For a particular season in a year.

This not only guarantees our security but also defines our culture as warrior-intellectuals with an innate sense of duty to the Empire.

We could promote Pankration matches, Shooting competitions both with bow, shot and cannon to improve the general quality of our selection pools and desire for military service.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Rincewind posted:

In one sentence, describe how you think the empire could be made better. A mission statement for your political philosophy.

I would abolish the senate in its current form, and replace it with just five -- yes, five -- Emperor/Empress-picked spheres of interest. It's the only way to run an empire.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

mcclay posted:

Channel is #monternos.

IRC? I thought we were the party of innovation :v:?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Samuel posted:

I'd like to amend your bill Consul as I think it is every man or dare I say even a woman's duty, to be at a physical and tactical level to take up arms at a moments notice to defend the empire in dire times. Hence I feel that it is only just that every citizen is battle ready enough to be drawn into the army at a moments notice, and that if citizens are too poor to pay taxes that they can instead substitute this with service to the army's levies. For a particular season in a year.

This not only guarantees our security but also defines our culture as warrior-intellectuals with an innate sense of duty to the Empire.

We could promote Pankration matches, Shooting competitions both with bow, shot and cannon to improve the general quality of our selection pools and desire for military service.

Many of these would fall outside the breadth of the bill, I am afraid, but if you can make them into one (or likely several, remember: bills have to have a pretty defined goal in mind to count), as a member of the party you have the right to present it as a bill.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Frankly I wouldn't know how to explain it in game terms!

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Rincewind posted:

In one sentence, describe how you think the empire could be made better.

i want all the senators taken out back and shot, including myself.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Vote closed! Votecount shortly.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

To the idealists amongst the Discordians, those who wish for radical change with the best intentions as opposed to those who wish to see it all burn because they like the flames, it is not too late. We still have the capacity and the ability to achieve great things if we commit ourselves to the task, to work towards the goal of a better future for Rome. We are served better as allies than as anarchists, we can work better together rather than outside law and reason. I extend the open hand towards you: Renounce allegiance to that which would destroy us all, and join us in truly building a better, Roman world for one and all.

How is that possible while the source of all of Rome's ills is the Senate itself? The existence of a body that places itself between the Empress and her children and dares dictate policy to her is an affront to Heaven itself. The only way to cure Rome's ills is to end the Senate itself. Discord is not an act of blind idealism, it's a calculated plan to end the abomination that is the Roman Senate.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Patter Song posted:

How is that possible while the source of all of Rome's ills is the Senate itself? The existence of a body that places itself between the Empress and her children and dares dictate policy to her is an affront to Heaven itself. The only way to cure Rome's ills is to end the Senate itself. Discord is not an act of blind idealism, it's a calculated plan to end the abomination that is the Roman Senate.

The Roman Senate lasted in various forms for over a thousand years (or more if you include us), while your Ming are only about a 140 years old. The Senate presided over some of the greatest eras of Roman history, and they seemed to do just fine for themselves. Even during the reign of the Emperors, the Senate endured, passing on a tradition of debate, loyalty, and service to our own body.

It is your blind Sinophilia that is the abomination, your haste to cast off the fine traditions of Rome for those of the East.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

To join a party, post ##Join (party name) and your chosen party's icon. Except for sitting party leaders, party leadership does not roll over from session to session. This is to prevent inactive senators from clogging the rolls! So if you joined a party in the last election, you'll need to join it again.

THE PARTIES OF THE BYZANTINE SENATE

I realize that some parties are changing leaders, so please consider the leaders listed to be acting leaders. For a party to change leaders, the current leader needs to ##Transfer Party Leadership to the new leader. Theoretically, a party leader can just unilaterally transfer leadership to any random person on a whim, although presumably you'll want to adopt some kind of internal procedure.

MONTERNOS PARTY

StrifeHira posted:

The Monternos Party was founded as a party dedicated to making sure the Roman Empire of the 15th century and beyond was not a Rome stuck in the past, but a Rome looking to the future. A "modern" Rome. As such they support and propose anything that can be used to update the current state of Rome, looking both to nations that have gained a technological edge as inspiration and to possible applications of existing technology within the state. New advances in warfare, seafaring, science, theology, and so forth are all supported by the Monternos Party.

LEADERS:
Alexandros Chronis (mcclay)
Sergios Jag (JT Jag)
MEMBERS
LJN92
mcclay
Ogianres
Alexey
D3m3
Josef bugman
Rubix Squid
JT Jag
Not So Fast
Caustic Soda
TinTower
cokerpilot
StrifeHira
Clayren
Hutter
Zikan
Lynneth

TOTAL: 16

ADVENTURER MERCHANTS

Funky Valentine posted:

The patricians of Venice have unfortunately all died in a tragic manure explosion (marked "From Yaroslavich", hm) and have been replaced by a younger, more outgoing group of glorified bankers. They've come together to found THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm, a party based around "THIthe following principles:

- To boldly go and seek out new lands
- To boldly go and exploit the poo poo out of these new lands
- To explore the whole world, and make all the money within it

The realms of Europe and Asia are boring! Get on a boat and find new realms! Join THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm today and get a free eyepatch!

LEADER: Senator Enrico "Moneybeard" Valentinius (FunkyValentine)
MEMBERS
Frozen_flame
Pyroi
Aeromancia
Grizzwold

Fraternalists
Rejected Fate

Mongols and Merchants
LEADER: Senator Metiga Sallajer (Blackunknown)

Roman Enotita
LEADER: Senator Abydos Felicious (AdventFalls)

Craftsmen's League:
LEADER: Senator Matthias Vounómou (Meinberg)

TOTAL: 9

NEW MARIANS

NewMars posted:

The New Marians were originally a cross-party faction devoted to the restoration of Roman standing armies. Now that this is accomplished, they are here to keep the army strong and the nobility weak. They are no jingoistic throwbacks, but men (and women, remember that we started with the gender equality mod on!) who seek to sustain the state through means military, which means taking all who will stand for Rome. To a lesser extent, they tend to harbor all sorts of republican dissidents, due to the Mars family's personal beliefs.

LEADER: Mars family (NewMars)
MEMBERS
Flesnolk
Sky Shadowing
Samuel
Vagon
ManicMarine
Cestrian
WeaponGradeSadness
nothing to seehere
Sparq
Gnooble

TOTAL: 11

NEO-MILVIAN COALITION

AJ_Impy posted:

Adopting the banner of the Komemnian-era Milvians as a sign of their common cause, The Faithful, Unitas and the Ecclesiastical Movement pooled their resources in a mutual coalition to further the interests of the One True Church.

The Faithful
LEADER: Theophilus AJ Impy (AJ_Impy)
MEMBERS
HiHo ChiRho

Unitas
LEADER: sniper4625
MEMBERS
Lord Cyrahzax
Kor

Ecclesiastical Movement
LEADER: YF-23
MEMBERS
Juvenalian.Satyr
Unwise_Cashew

TOTAL: 8

INCLUSIONIST PARTY

TheMcD posted:

What we want is a truly peaceful, stable and tolerant state. As such, we oppose any sort of expansion, be it diplomatic or militaristic (even diplomatic expansion brings turmoil to the realm). However, we would be open to this new practice called "colonization", if we were to find some sparsely populated land somewhere. We also oppose the expansion of the army, but aren't blinded so much that we don't realize that keeping an armed force around is necessary considering the dangers coming from abroad. Similar measures apply for the Black Chamber - aggressive intrigue is opposed, defensive intrigue for the stability of the realm is accepted. A certain focus on technological progress is accepted, but stability must come first. As for tolerance, we wish to support any and all other cultures or religions within the realm that aren't the "official" one and allow them to keep all their traditions and practices.

LEADER: TheMcD
MEMBERS
GSD
Luhood
TheFlyingLlama
Soup du Jour

Komnenian Restoration
GoatLord

Da Qin (Not that Da Qin)
Raserys

Guiding Light
Shogeton

True Religion's Advocates in Times of Strife
Ghetto Prince

Total: 9

THE DISCORDIANS

Some senators don't play well with others. With Yaroslav's old committee system dissolved, malcontents are again free to flock together and plot the downfall of the whole rotten system-- to roll the dice of fate, and hope Fortuna provides them with something better, something brighter, something new.

In addition, certain events ("events" in the sense of "things that happen in the thread or in-game", not the game mechanic of "events") may increase the pressure on the existing institutions of state. Think of it as a sort of meta-stability, maybe?

The total number of Discordian senators plus the current pressure is the Discordians' strength. If the strength is ever greater than the ruling party (or caucus of parties-- you might want to consider banding together if things get bad) the current system will fall apart and something different will happen.

Press button to blow up empire.

LEADER: NONE
MEMBERS
Hitlers Gay Secret
Tevery Best
WilliamAnderson
Freudian
dongsbot 9000
GunnerJ
Sindai
Mantis42
Patter Song
Ghostwoods
Chwoka

Hellenic Restoration
ThatBasqueGuy
sheep-dodger

TOTAL: 13
PRESSURE: 5
STRENGTH: :siren: 18 :siren:

:siren: VOTE CLOSED :siren:

Coalition for Roman Stability
Monternos: 16
New Marians: 11
Neo-Milvians: 8
Total: 34

Others
Adventurer Merchants:9
Inclusionists: 9

Discordian Strength: 18

Spots on the legislative slate will be assigned as follows:
The Coalition-- remember that these can be transferred, though.
Monternos: 4
New Marians: 3
Neo-Milvians: 1

The Others
Adventurer Merchants: 2
Incusionists: 2

In the events of conflict, coalition bills take precedence over outside bills. Within the coalition, larger parties take precedence over smaller parties. If you've submitted more bills than you have slots, a bill is selected by imperial fiat.

The following bills have been ##submitted:

New Marians
New Marian Reforms
-The core of these armies are not to be drawn from peasant levies, but a corps of professional soldiers, if at all possible, though desperate times may necessitate widespread conscription.

Neo-Milvians
The Brotherhood of Orthodoxy Act
Relations should be improved with our orthodox neighbors
Patriarchic Authority should be raised to at least 50% and brought no lower

Take What is Ours, Restore Law and Order Act
Should the opportunity arise, we will reclaim Rome.

Never Forget Act
We will undercut, undermine, and oppose the Ming Successor states as possible, short of outright war.

Adventurer Merchants
The Practical Management Act
*The total numbers of the Roman army and navy are not to exceed the appropriate force limits.
*In times of absolute necessity, mercenaries may temporarily be hired to exceed this limit, but are to be fired at the end of the war.
*This statute is to remain in effect until Rome has a monthly surplus of at least fifty ducats.

Inclusionists
Department of Cultural Protection and Representation Act
• A bureaucratic agency will be created with the purpose of overseeing the protection of the traditional rights of our cultural minorities, as well as being a convenient place for said minorities to file complaints. The agency will advise the Empress on necessary changes to better accommodate our minority citizens.
• All administrative efforts will be put towards achieving the Cultural Ties idea in Humanism.
• Finishing the rest of Humanist ideas must remain a major priority, but the Empress may take her time once Cultural Ties have been acquired.
• Once Policies are acquired, one Humanist-tied Policy must be in place at all times. As what policies we will have access to will depend on our later idea groups, the choice of Policy is left to Imperial fiat, at least until future legislation is made.
Spirit of Athens Act I.
- The Douxes have been weakened, however, their influence is still there, and it should be further removed.
- The way the removal shall take place is through reform - change the succession of the douxes to an elective format. All future douxes shall be elected from the local populace.
- Eligible for election shall be all local citizens that have achieved a certain level of education. The Ming have a good idea with their exams and whatever else they have, and we can apply this to our own education system.
No One Stops My Party Act
- The Byzantine Senate shall, at all times, have an open bar.
- Any member of the Komenenos family may use this bar, regardless of membership in the senate, unless a vote is currently taking place.
- Of the signature cocktails of this bar, one shall be named for Consul Scruffles. The specific recipe for a Scruffles are open to debate.
Revised Black Tortoise Act
- Buildup and repair of border forts shall be given a higher priority than rebuilding the army itself.
- Homeland administration resources shall be invested in further improving the frontier provinces.
- Consideration should be given to taking the Defensive idea set.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 3, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'd like to get legislation squared away by midnight on Tuesday night, but if everyone's still arguing over it then I'll consider extending that deadline.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gotta love how chaotic the Monternos situation has been - they still don't have a single bill ready.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I am disappointed the speaker did not see fit to include my very nice banner. :(

I look forward to collaborating with my Coalition colleagues to present a strong slate of legislation.

I must disagree with the Spirit of Athens Act - the way to end the Doux menace is not by electing them, but by replacing them with Imperial Governors selected by the Empress (and confirmed by the Senate?) We must bind the regions of the Empire ever closer to the center - decentralization gives people...ideas.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

ATTENTION ALL MONTERNOS PARTY MEMBERS! ALL DECISIONS MADE BY THE PARTY WILL HAPPEN THROUGH OUR IRC! IF YOU DO NOT JOIN IT THEN YOU ARE WILLING GIVING UP ANY DECISION MAKING POWER IN THE PARTY!
SynIRC
#monternos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Samuel posted:

Frankly I wouldn't know how to explain it in game terms!

It doesn't necessarily have to be anything in game terms. For instance ##Submit The Olympic Revival Act

-The military and state shall sponsor sporting and shooting competitions to raise public spirits and to promote fitness and health among the citizens and soldiers of the empire.

-A new competition shall be held in Olympia every four years, bringing together the greatest athletes of the empire. This competition shall be open to all and shall be named the Olympics after the great competition of old. Games, of course, shall include the footrace, the javelin throw, archery, the new sport of skeet, pankration and the sport of emperors: the chariot race.

• Locked thread