Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
OCD and ADD together are a nasty bitch. I have both but in moderate forms. That's why I have to British cars because something always needs done and I can take focus away from one when I get bored and shift to the other one.

But OCD does kind of suck working on cars because your always thinking its nnnnootttt quite there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The two turns me into this perfectionist rear end in a top hat that can't do anything good enough.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Partied/drank a little too hard at a friends birthday last night and smashed the back of my head off a fire hydrant. Beer was a great painkiller at the time but now I feel like I got hit by a loving train.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Being slightly ADD/OCD as well (unmedicated, I find ways to get along), working on cars is one thing that I can focus on with single-minded devotion. However, I can occasionally be spotted whirling around the garage in a fit of rage looking for "that one tool/part that was RIGHT HERE JUST A SECOND AGO I just had it in my loving hand WHERE THE HELL IS IT"

stump
Jan 19, 2006

At 6:30 this morning it dawned on my girlfriend she needs four seats. So no StreetKa for her. Test drive another Ka, that had a knackered power steering "it's only like £70 to fix it though, mate" and bubbling around one of the spark plugs (what the gently caress) , then a Pug 106 with dry rotted tyres and the worst pedal layout I've even seen. Fucks sake.

ADD is a bitch. Got diagnosed at 29 after years of wondering why despite being theoretically perfectly capable, I would be completely incapable of getting things done most of the time. Tried 15mg ritalin for a while but it done bugger all so I never got my prescription renewed because :effort: so I just keep bumbing on as ever. At least my boss has been quite supportive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

William Shatner?!

Oh poo poo, outed in AI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

"that one tool/part that was RIGHT HERE JUST A SECOND AGO I just had it in my loving hand WHERE THE HELL IS IT"

I think that's perfectly normal.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

stump posted:

At 6:30 this morning it dawned on my girlfriend she needs four seats. So no StreetKa for her. Test drive another Ka, that had a knackered power steering "it's only like £70 to fix it though, mate" and bubbling around one of the spark plugs (what the gently caress) , then a Pug 106 with dry rotted tyres and the worst pedal layout I've even seen. Fucks sake.

Ka's all rust like gently caress, and the power steering systems are prone to self destruction around 20 minutes off the assembly line. Those bottles of power steering fix that are basically seal-swelling acetone are a favorite of someone selling on.

The pedals are off to the right aren't they? I remember those.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm not sure if I'm OCD but the refurbed Miata wheel on my rear driver side is a shade more blue than the original wheel on my front driver side and holy gently caress does it bug the hell out of me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

I'm not sure if I'm OCD but the refurbed Miata wheel on my rear driver side is a shade more blue than the original wheel on my front driver side and holy gently caress does it bug the hell out of me.

This car is going to ruin you dude.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Take the wheels off and paint them yourself, a slight difference in colour or shade would drive me bonkers too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thread incoming.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

13 INCH DICK posted:

Thread incoming.

Please tell us you own the car on the left now. Please let it be true.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

Thread incoming.

I saw a gremlin or its clone the other day. And it just further puts the tiny ness off that civic into perspective

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Welp, just bought a 2005 ford Ka. Some rust (obviously, it's a Ka) but it was cheap enough to allow for sorting that. More fun to drive than it should be, mechanically sound, long MOT, needs tires but I was going to get a set of winters anyway.

Cakefool posted:

The pedals are off to the right aren't they? I remember those.
Yup, even my tiny size 8.5's felt crowded in there.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

piss boner posted:

And have a driveway full of boring cars like me? With no project thread? Well, poo poo.

When your cars are too reliable, that is when it is the perfect time to turn one into a project. :colbert:

stump posted:

Welp, just bought a 2005 ford Ka.

This is the first time I have seen a picture of one of these. What the hell is with the rear?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Viggen posted:

This is the first time I have seen a picture of one of these. What the hell is with the rear?
The slight colour mismatch or the how small it is? There are two seats in the back and a reasonable sized boot for the size. Think fiat 500 or mini.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

stump posted:

Yup, even my tiny size 8.5's felt crowded in there.

That's strange, I have no problem with the pedal layout on mine, and I've got 10s. I wonder if the pedal layout is different on RHD 106s? The worst car I've ever driven with regards to pedals has got to be the Renault 19.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

It may be made worse by my usual daily being an e46, which has the pedals off to the right, so my feel naturally fall one whole pedal to the right. I was trying to accelerate by pushing the carpet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

The rear bumper styling is an ode to "Baby with a full nappy"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember being so pissed Ford didn't sell the Ka in the US ten years or so ago. What the gently caress was wrong with me?

In other news, the memorial benefit for the biker who died was enormous. They'd already blown past their donation drive so the mother has decided to take all the money and start a fund for families of people who die in motorcycle accidents. I could argue about the circumstances of her kid's death but what she's doing is pretty fantastic and she's refusing to take any money. What she doesn't know is one of his friend's father has already picked up the tab for the funeral. I feel embarassed about how much I dissed him for being a jagoff on his bike and now all these fantastic people are cropping up to help his family. I can only hope for something similar when I die.

Oh, and some old man tried to run over a Bob Evans employee in the complex parking lot my store is in.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

stump posted:

The slight colour mismatch or the how small it is? There are two seats in the back and a reasonable sized boot for the size. Think fiat 500 or mini.

The size. It just looks misfit.

InitialDave posted:

The rear bumper styling is an ode to "Baby with a full nappy"

Blerg. Yup.

Rhyno posted:

I can only hope for something similar when I die.

They'll erect a statue. Of crack.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 3, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I saw a ka once with a homemade bulbous extension instead of the hatch, it looked like a tumour in riveted plastic sheet and can't have added more than a cubic foot or so.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Ugggh, why is trying to buy a new car such a pain in the rear end?

I really hate dealers and their bullshit, tesla has got it right with the whole direct sales thing. I sent out a feeler to all the dealers in Tucson and Phoenix and have them everything the needed to know including a copy of the configuration preview direct from their dealer connect ordering system. I clearly stated that whatever dealer has the best price OTD without rebates will be getting a deposit on Thursday. And I'm getting an bunch of bullshit in return asking what I do and have I bought a Chrysler product before etc. and saying they really need my phone number to call me.

At this rate the first one that actually answers my question without 20 emails about nothing will probably get my money.

Not sure why it is so hard to give them and easy, no work sale for a 60k truck. Sheesh :rant:

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 3, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I feel embarassed about how much I dissed him for being a jagoff on his bike and now all these fantastic people are cropping up to help his family. I can only hope for something similar when I die.
Doesn't mean he wasn't, just shows his family and friends aren't. Well, at least the ones who weren't threatening the guy he hit earlier in the story.

Holdbrooks posted:

Not sure why it is so hard to give them and easy, no work sale for a 60k truck. Sheesh :rant:
Tell me about it. I don't mind dealers doing it by default, but I expect them to recognise the type of customer who doesn't want the bullshit, knows exactly what they're after, and just needs a number on a bit of paper to give a yes/no to.

Also - and this isn't just dealers, industrial suppliers are bastards for it - not understanding what "your best price" means. After-the fact "but we would have matched that price..." whining isn't going to get you anywhere, I needed [ITEM], I sent out for quotes, I passed the lowest price on to the purchasing department (who then gently caress everything up entirely, but that's another issue). There is no round two.

Cakefool posted:

I saw a ka once with a homemade bulbous extension instead of the hatch, it looked like a tumour in riveted plastic sheet and can't have added more than a cubic foot or so.
Modified Ka, you say?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

8ender posted:

Please tell us you own the car on the left now. Please let it be true.

You'll need to take that up with Princess.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Holdbrooks posted:

Ugggh, why is trying to buy a new car such a pain in the rear end?

I really hate dealers and their bullshit, tesla has got it right with the whole direct sales thing. I sent out a feeler to all the dealers in Tucson and Phoenix and have them everything the needed to know including a copy of the configuration preview direct from their dealer connect ordering system. I clearly stated that whatever dealer has the best price OTD without rebates will be getting a deposit on Thursday. And I'm getting an bunch of bullshit in return asking what I do and have I bought a Chrysler product before etc. and saying they really need my phone number to call me.

At this rate the first one that actually answers my question without 20 emails about nothing will probably get my money.

Is dual 220-amp alternators a normal thing on vehicles now :eyepop:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's pretty heavy duty. I imagine it's for adding equipment or maybe a RV to the truck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

I'm guessing at least one of those is an Earnhardt dealership, they're kings of this type of horseshit. But yeah pretty much every dealership in Arizona sucks and loves making you jump through every possible hoop. Have you tried running it through Truecar? I had good luck with that on my CR-V purchase last year.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't know anything about it but Costco sometimes advertises their car buying service.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Here is the exchange with dealer #1 today.

This is what I sent out to them

holdbrooks posted:

I am looking to order a 2015 RAM 3500 MEGA CAB 4x2 DRW this week and am shopping for the best deal in Tucson or Phoenix. It has to be Omaha Orange and therefore will be a special order. I have verified the ability to order with my selected options through dealerconnect an would simply like to know what your price would be OTD without any current rebates accounted for since the are not at this time applicable to the 2015MY.
The MSRP is 61,400 and the FWP is 55,866. I will be placing the order with the best priced dealer this Thursday when I'm off of work.

The detailed configuration preview is available here:
http://i.imgur.com/oEfo9KI.jpg

And I get this type of poo poo back

dealer #1 posted:

Too ensure I maximize your savings when you from us what kind of work do you do? Have you purchased a new Chrysler, Dodge, Ram or Jeep product in the past? If so what was or is your current zip code?

holdbrooks posted:

I reside in 85658 and have purchased 2 fiats in the last two years and this truck will be a personal vehicle not for commercial use. I have my own financing already from USAA and simply want to know what your pricing would be without rebates.

dealer #1 posted:

Our offer is between $1500 below invoice before rebates.

holdbrooks posted:

So back to my only question, what would be your price OTD with all fees taxes?

dealer #1 posted:

I can give you the OTD but it will be different once the rebates are included.

holdbrooks posted:

I understand that, but rebates have not been announced on the 2015's yet and might be different by the time the truck arrives sometime between 8 weeks to a year. I am simply trying to equally compare all the dealers in the area based upon the same information.

dealer #1 posted:

OTD w/o rebates is $60776

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Going for a day of test drives for the lady tomorrow. Got a list of cars we're checking out. Hopefully we find a viable car this week as I can't wait to burn sell the Beetle.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm guessing at least one of those is an Earnhardt dealership, they're kings of this type of horseshit. But yeah pretty much every dealership in Arizona sucks and loves making you jump through every possible hoop. Have you tried running it through Truecar? I had good luck with that on my CR-V purchase last year.

Earnhardt posted:

I want to help you with your recent vehicle inquiry, but you didn't provide a number or the number you provided is not working. For me to provide you with the best overall service, it is important that we speak on the phone. With enough information, I can help save you time and effort.

Please provide me with a good number or give me a call, I promise to keep it brief and to the point.

Holdbrooks posted:

I am at work and unable to use a phone during any business hours for the next 4 days. If you want my business then we can communicate via email until I can come there in person to place a deposit on Thursday.

And then nothing, so I guess they don't want my money.

I went with USAA car buying service and already have a great deal worked out. I'm just trying to let these other clowns try and beat what I have been offered.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hello AI. Long time listener, first time caller. First off, how are all of you? Secondly, what do I use for automotive dysfunction?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keykey posted:

Hello AI. Long time listener, first time caller. First off, how are all of you? Secondly, what do I use for automotive dysfunction?

Hi caller, thanks for listening. What's the manner of your dysfunction?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

keykey posted:

We're all jerks here. You can use what I use, which is a dead blow hammer to whack yourself in the balls.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

leica posted:

We're all jerks here. You can use what I use, which is a dead blow hammer to whack yourself in the balls.

He is already a confessed an unashamed SAAB owner, Doc. I'm afraid any further social or mental pariah attempts to chide will be lost.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

keykey posted:

Why hello caller! To fix your AD, please apply cubic capacity or forced induction to your car, then add a manual gearbox. Start car, allow revs to build, depress the pedal called "clutch", select the first numbered gear on your gear stick, build engine revs until it is close to the red zone of your tachometer, pull your foot off the clutch and then as the white smoke and noise builds, feel your dysfunction be cured. I would also recommend a healthy dose of "donuts" or "helis" depending on your location as well.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InitialDave posted:

How tall are you?

6'4", so not absurdly tall but I have 40" legs, and I'm just fat enough at 240# to add a bit of awkwardness to that situation. I can't even get into an S2K or a Nissan N13 EXA/NX (both of which had been desirable cars to me until I tried to get into them- the Nissan was doubly disappointing since I was pretty close to buying one years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

keykey posted:

Buy a Camry, leave this place and never look back.
Or start driving something cheap, unreliable and horrifically impractical but cool and we'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes...

(wow, I completely forgot how to photoshop sorry for the quality)

• Locked thread