Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think it's a fair point, Marvel made a relatively unknown property a huge hit, whereas DC has failed with some of their more well known faces, (GL), and is afraid to give a standalone film to some of their other characters at all. It's a fair point to be made, in this case, I think.

It is a fair point, because DC is all "Only virgins care about Martian Manhunter, so we won't put him in a movie because that's a dumb marketing move!" and here we have Marvel marketing a handful of obscure comic characters and making money hand-over-fist with them.

I guess to Marvel's credit, they've built up all that goodwill by making all those other good movies beforehand, but it's still funny how insecure DC is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

It is a fair point, because DC is all "Only virgins care about Martian Manhunter, so we won't put him in a movie because that's a dumb marketing move!" and here we have Marvel marketing a handful of obscure comic characters and making money hand-over-fist with them.

I guess to Marvel's credit, they've built up all that goodwill by making all those other good movies beforehand, but it's still funny how insecure DC is.

DC actively not only hates themselves, but also their entire fanbase. They're easily one of the worst run companies I've ever seen, and I'm amazed they haven't completely crumbled under the weight of their own stupidity yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

It doesn't help that Goyer made that virgin crack. DC really needs to give that guy the boot.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't help that Goyer made that virgin crack. DC really needs to give that guy the boot.

He's like a little cartoon devil on their shoulder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheJoker138 posted:

DC actively not only hates themselves, but also their entire fanbase. They're easily one of the worst run companies I've ever seen, and I'm amazed they haven't completely crumbled under the weight of their own stupidity yet.

It's as though they're embarrassed that they run a comic book publishing company, but at the same time, they desperately need everything to be Hip and Now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's as though they're embarrassed that they run a comic book publishing company, but at the same time, they desperately need everything to be Hip and Now.

I went into the New 52 poo poo cautiously optimistic, and since it launched have gone from reading about 10 DC books to 0. Meanwhile Marvel has me reading three separate Guardians of the Galaxy books alone.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There's a weird echo of DC and Marvel's method of business back in the 60's. DC would create a cover image and then find a story to fit the cover. Marvel would write a story and then use something in the story for the cover. DC's approach would initially lead to more people picking up the book to read but Marvels approach hooked the reader. Now DC seems to be looking for what name will sell tickets then asking if there's a story. Marvel is asking "who fits the story we have planned?" even if the answer is a set of obscure characters.

There are great movies to be made of Enemy Ace, Sgt Rock and even someone like Mister Miracle. It doesn't have to be a "headliner" for the movie to sell well.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Is mister miracle the guy that looks like a christmas tree?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

This also could be used to explain Vince McMahon/Kevin Dunn and the WWE now that I think about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mister Miracle would be one of the easiest characters to make a film out of, with the bonus of him having a healthy relationship with a woman who could kick anyone's rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mister Miracle would be one of the easiest characters to make a film out of, with the bonus of him having a healthy relationship with a woman who could kick anyone's rear end.

I think I know at least part of the reason we aren't going to get one anytime soon.

Does the Kirby estate get money from his DC stuff still? If so, that's probably the other reason.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

My dream of a Hammer style Blade will be realized.

It already has been. Sort of.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071276/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gina Carano for Big Barda!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Speaking of product placement.. Guardians of the Galaxy has practically zero. The only thing I can think of is well the Sony Walkman, a product from 30 years ago.

Maybe Sony is trying to rebrand and sell Walkmans again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Speaking of product placement.. Guardians of the Galaxy has practically zero. The only thing I can think of is well the Sony Walkman, a product from 30 years ago.

Maybe Sony is trying to rebrand and sell Walkmans again?

Those sneaky bastards are probably sitting on a stock of that very model and will start releasing them to Ebay.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh don't forget Alf cards. Corporate advertising whores. Sony's trying to bring back cassettes with GotG

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Oh don't forget Alf cards. Corporate advertising whores. Sony's trying to bring back cassettes with GotG

Does Disney even own Alf? I thought NBC owned him so that one puzzled me honestly.

On a lark I tried calling a pawn shop to see if they had any Walkman's (Walkmen?) but they were closed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Actually I think those Alf Cards were made by Topps.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Actually I think those Alf Cards were made by Topps.

Topps are known scumbags.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Topps are known scumbags.

Is this about the monopoly they tried to form in the 90's?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Is this about the monopoly they tried to form in the 90's?

No, just speaking of how they treat the dealers who actually sell their product.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Gina Carano for Big Barda!

This would be a good fit actually. But I would want Shilo Mr. Miracle.

...maybe just get Steranko.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

This would be a good fit actually. But I would want Shilo Mr. Miracle.

...maybe just get Steranko.

He's about the right size to stand next to Carano and make them look comic book accurate.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

He's about the right size to stand next to Carano and make them look comic book accurate.

Yeah. And since Miracle is based off of him anyway and Barda is based off Kirby's wife.. well...The buttsex is interesting.

:v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rhyno posted:

In the MCU Stark probably bought Honda Motor Corps and renamed the Acura brand Avengers Motor Cars so the placement of that A gets a pass.

Or it's just a bad shot.

I'm not familiar with Acura because I guess it's just a Asian car but the very first thing I thought was how that car logo looked like an A in a circle. Is Acuara's logo an A in a circle? In the forefront against the backdrop of the looming Avengers Tower? Because gosh, that's just a weird coincidence.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Man, this sounds frighteningly similar to WWE.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man, this sounds frighteningly similar to WWE.

It could be worse, DC could be the TNA of comics. Which would be like... Image, I guess?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TheJoker138 posted:

It could be worse, DC could be the TNA of comics. Which would be like... Image, I guess?

Image has a whole bunch of really rad books out, though. Prophet, Saga, Sex Criminals, Black Science, etc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Image has a whole bunch of really rad books out, though. Prophet, Saga, Sex Criminals, Black Science, etc.

The last thing I saw by them was McFarlane and Kirkman making yet another Venom rip off called "The Haunt." At that point I completely stopped paying attention to Image.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm not familiar with Acura because I guess it's just a Asian car but the very first thing I thought was how that car logo looked like an A in a circle. Is Acuara's logo an A in a circle? In the forefront against the backdrop of the looming Avengers Tower? Because gosh, that's just a weird coincidence.

It's Honda's luxury brand in America. I think they first focused on it in Iron Man 2 post credit scene.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

Except I think Image does well with creator owned stuff and whatnot. The original product might not have been great but the concept and whatnot is good and allows for good work. Maybe TnA is like Crossgen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

Except I think Image does well with creator owned stuff and whatnot. The original product might not have been great but the concept and whatnot is good and allows for good work. Maybe TnA is like Crossgen.

Is TNA still around? Crossgen was just a flash in the pan.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rhyno posted:

It's Honda's luxury brand in America. I think they first focused on it in Iron Man 2 post credit scene.

Luxury brand, eh? In that shot it's framed by two cabs and all of them are generally not in a good state. I'm probably never going to stop trying to half-assedly read into this stuff, I really need to watch Avengers with this in mind.

edit:

Rhyno posted:

They seemingly lost their contract with Spike TV and it's up in the air what will happen to them, but as of October this year they will have existed as long as WCW, the biggest competitor to the WWE while it existed.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 3, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

TNA lost their TV contract so they'll be around till about October when it runs out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

TNA lost their TV contract so they'll be around till about October when it runs out.

Yeah but they've been around a long time right? A better analogy would be one of the Jim Shooter companies like Defiant or Broadway Comics.

Yeah, BC was heavily advertised in other media as the next big thing and it went nowhere.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In this Car Avengers Shot of the Day, the heroic Acura Rox stays back to guard the perimeter while Cap and the assassins race for Stark Tower.

Joss Whedon only has two hands, but he's got a lot of Hot Wheels to set up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, I forgot all about CrossGen. From what I remember, it was surprisingly successful for a while, then it wasn't.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jamesman posted:

Goyer wasn't acting as a formal DC representative making a press statement. He said I don't care about Martian Manhunter - which, y'know, he probably doesn't.

It's easy to forget, since it had like zero cultural impact, that Green Lantern is a Marvel Studios film in all but name. You have a solid but workmanlike director on a troubled production dealing with obvious studio mandates, doing a lightly comedic sci-fi superhero origin story about a charming daredevil jerk in a CGI suit.

It's like a 'greatest misses' compilation of the MCU films' biggest failings, with no Robert Downey Jr. to cancel it out.

A skilled writer can make any premise interesting, but a lot of this Marvel stuff seems obligatory. Like Hulk 2: the Hulk part is garbage, and none of the MCU tie-ins work. The Captain America and Iron Man sequels also serve as buildup to some imaginary real film down the line.

Aside from the egregious failure of Hulk 2 and the remarkable success of Cap 1, the Marvel Studio films are good television. But I prefer having extremely skilled directors given free reign with the material, with consistency between films being the result of input from distinct voices like Nolan and Goyer (like 'em or not) rather than a result of a 'planned universe'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Man, I forgot all about CrossGen. From what I remember, it was surprisingly successful for a while, then it wasn't.

They were. Everything was selling out left and right, they lined up a huge stable of talent and even got them to move to one place so they all worked at the Crossgen Compound. Lots of the books were surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What the hell happened to CrossGen then? Also, is Avatar as big a success story as they seem to be? After decades of publishing Evil Ernie and Bad Girl comics, they actually have some cachet nowadays.

• Locked thread