Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Micr0chiP posted:

THE BIG STICK.

"It also would leave a stream of nuclear fallout from its reactor in its wake."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

The devil is in the details :)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Micr0chiP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_SCuPId8KA

THE BIG STICK.

Oh cold war, how crazy were you ?
The user that uploaded this video has some gems from this time period, lots of "propaganda" movies from manufactures trying to sell the products to the public.

Project Pluto is almost comically evil.

Let's build a nuclear drone that will drop nuclear bombs on our enemy, and then have it do laps over enemy airspace irradiating everything nearby just to be sure we got the job done.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Groda posted:

I'm going to be super vague now:
If you're hunting for stuff about Cuba's involvement in Angola and happen to find an long, fascinating interview with a Cuban officer who was stationed there and among other things described how being sent to Angola was used as punishment for poor performance, do tell. I mentioned it to a colleague of mine and can't find it since my hd crash.

I vaguely remember reading something like this as a scanned article in a massive thread about wars in Africa on militaryphotos.net. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dark Helmut posted:

Yeah but only over the Bad Guys so it's good!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dark Helmut posted:

For some reason I feel for such a sales line they really needed to get Reagan to narrate the video.

"And, y'know, the 'Big Stick' has the added benefit of leaving behind deadly radioactive fallout to salt the earth beneath it as it flies at treetop level, just to give the Red Menace another good ol' fashioned kick in the teeth."

The big selling point in that video is their cursory explaining that the reactor activation sequence *minimizes* the exposure the launch crew will be exposed to. Lets you know that the only people who were ever *meant* to see this video when it was made were Generals, Cabinet Secretaries, and Congress.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Let's build a nuclear drone that will drop nuclear bombs on our enemy, and then have it do laps over enemy airspace irradiating everything nearby just to be sure we got the job done.

Only way it would've been more evil is to ID the camps the Soviets would likely evac children to and make the missiles terminate their flights there.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 2, 2014

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

RIP to the last man that could challenge my BF1942 K/D ratio.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Taken today: I wasn't planning to go down to the lake to see the Seafair show until tomorrow and don't live too close to Lake Washington, but these guys made a few passes over my home in Seattle.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Not true I am afraid.
ZIPRA was funded and mentored by the Soviets and their associates. Well funded at that given the fact that Rhodesia was, as Zimabwe is today - A nothing shithole incapable of being anything more than a giant money eating welfare baby. See the shooting down of RH827 and RH825, the Soviets were supplying Strela units and training to ZIPRA.

ZANLA was always Eastern friendly. This continues to this day with the ZANLA political descendant, ZANU-PF.
Their tactics were inspired by successes FRELIMO's fight across the Eastern Rhodesian border, and subsequently you see the ZANLA success carving out a greater slice of the electorate through the use of People's war tactics.
See also, Fifth Brigade and the Gukuruhundi.

He said they declined direct involvement. While there's not any question that ZIPRA and ZANLA were getting help from Communist countries, there's a difference between that and, for instance, Cuba flying MiG-23s against the South African Air Force.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The thread's unoffical blog has a post on using nukes in Vietnam.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Not true I am afraid.
ZIPRA was funded and mentored by the Soviets and their associates. Well funded at that given the fact that Rhodesia was, as Zimabwe is today - A nothing shithole incapable of being anything more than a giant money eating welfare baby. See the shooting down of RH827 and RH825, the Soviets were supplying Strela units and training to ZIPRA.

ZANLA was always Eastern friendly. This continues to this day with the ZANLA political descendant, ZANU-PF.
Their tactics were inspired by successes FRELIMO's fight across the Eastern Rhodesian border, and subsequently you see the ZANLA success carving out a greater slice of the electorate through the use of People's war tactics.
See also, Fifth Brigade and the Gukuruhundi.

They received material support and training but there wasn't, to my knowledge, any direct(as in pointing a rifle and pulling a trigger) on the part of the USSR/China/et al

brains
May 12, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

The thread's unoffical blog has a post on using nukes in Vietnam.

from the report cited:

quote:

“the average number of enemy casualties per strike was about 100.”
interesting how (in)effective they concluded tac nukes would be against infantry even in best-case scenarios. also, lol at the study referenced for that number being named "OREGON TRAIL."

it is pretty revealing of the thought process in the upper leadership in the military at the time, in the "if things truly go to poo poo we'll just nuke because they're an insta-win" mentality. that's some cold war arrogance at its finest.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

brains posted:

from the report cited:

interesting how (in)effective they concluded tac nukes would be against infantry even in best-case scenarios. also, lol at the study referenced for that number being named "OREGON TRAIL."

it is pretty revealing of the thought process in the upper leadership in the military at the time, in the "if things truly go to poo poo we'll just nuke because they're an insta-win" mentality. that's some cold war arrogance at its finest.

No bases in reality but how lovely would a chain of tactical nuke strikes north of the border be to basically create a nuclear waste barrier to prevent soldiers from infiltrating south without getting an unhealthy dose of radiation.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LingcodKilla posted:

No bases in reality but how lovely would a chain of tactical nuke strikes north of the border be to basically create a nuclear waste barrier to prevent soldiers from infiltrating south without getting an unhealthy dose of radiation.

The DMZ was not really a primary infiltration route. The narrowness made it fairly easy to cover. Weighed against the problems of the Russians introducing tactical nukes of their own in there, it's not much of a reward.

One of the problems with using tactical nukes in Europe is that the Red Army was adapting to fighting in a nuclear-fallout wasteland, so the protective barrier of fallout would not be so useful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah bombing Laos is one thing but nuking it? Someone has got to notice THAT.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It also doesn't help that unless you're going to go complete full retard with nuking your barrier zone until it glows in the dark (at which point you're running into all sorts of crazy problems) most radiation harmful enough to keep your average military from just quick-marching a division through an area is going to dissipate relatively quickly. We're not talking hours and days here, but inside a couple of years? Yeah, maybe you don't want to drink the water or raise a family in the barrier zone, but it won't be enough to reliably sicken past combat effectiveness through short term exposure.

edit: channeling my own inner LeMay, though, I have to wonder how effective a low-kT nuke would be as a defoliant, basically just through the physical blast and heat wave. Probably beats herbicides.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 3, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'd bet a combo of fuel air explosives and sprayed herbicide would be at least almost as effective for a fraction of the cost and political fallout, no pun intended.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

brains posted:

from the report cited:

One of the most fascinating stories I ever read regarding the Vietnam bombing campaign I found when I was reading into the technology for navigation and aiming that existed in that era, before we had GPS.

The Fall of Lima Site 85

Let's just stick a TACAN and radar with all the personnel and equipment needed to support it on a tall mountain in Laos somewhere and hope the enemy won't be able to scale the sheer cliffs to take it out.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It fought in Korea, so I guess it could go here...

What are the inlet/vent things for in the Corsair's wings?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

simplefish posted:

It fought in Korea, so I guess it could go here...

What are the inlet/vent things for in the Corsair's wings?
Inlets for the engine's cooling system, usually.

e: which radials don't need jesus I am dumb

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Tsuru posted:

Inlets for the engine's cooling system, usually.

e: which radials don't need jesus I am dumb

Actually they are, they're oil coolers. Also supercharger air intakes.

Closeup:

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 3, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Actually they are, they're oil coolers. Also supercharger air intakes.

Closeup:

Nice one! Thanks!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: channeling my own inner LeMay, though, I have to wonder how effective a low-kT nuke would be as a defoliant, basically just through the physical blast and heat wave. Probably beats herbicides.

Radiation stimulates plant growth so not very. Hiroshima was supposed to be eerily green within a couple weeks of the bomb.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Arglebargle III posted:

Radiation stimulates plant growth so not very. Hiroshima was supposed to be eerily green within a couple weeks of the bomb.

No poo poo? Learn something new every day.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
This isn't some sort of third-handed retelling of all those plant seeds people irradiated to produce a variety of random-rear end mutations, one of which was improved growth etc.?

The amount of radiation at Hiroshima is consistently overestimated in the public mind. The physics package was quite small (64 kg) compared to utility contexts, and the burn-up was something like 1/4 of what fuel in a nuke plant achieves (despite containing a ~100x high concentration of 235U).

EDIT: Checked over my figures, and Little Man looked to have reached ~12 MWd/kg U. By comparison, fuel that leaves our reactors is in the 40-60 MWd/kg U range. The point I forgot to make was, the fallout is two things: The fission products (MUST come from a split nucleus) or activation products (nuclei which captured a neutron during the blast). The efficiency was quite low (~15% if you assume 100% 235U in the physics package), and the initial mass was quite small. Additionally, being an airburst, I wouldn't expect extreme levels of activation products in the surroundings, either.

Groda fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 3, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Groda posted:

This isn't some sort of third-handed retelling of all those plant seeds people irradiated to produce a variety of random-rear end mutations, one of which was improved growth etc.?

The amount of radiation at Hiroshima is consistently overestimated in the public mind. The physics package was quite small (64 kg) compared to utility contexts, and the burn-up was something like 1/5 of what fuel in a nuke plant achieves (despite containing a ~100x high concentration of 235U).

Is that not normal? A power plant has both opportunity and motivation to be as extremely efficient as possible with its fuel usage that a weapon design largely doesn't.

Also we're making the mistake of confusing radiation and contamination again; if you wanted to make Ho Chi Minh trail into a no-man's land you'd want to spray contamination everywhere, a completely different effort than directly killing people with small-yield radiative blasts. And plants are rather effective natural contamination filters.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is that not normal? A power plant has both opportunity and motivation to be as extremely efficient as possible with its fuel usage that a weapon design largely doesn't.

Also we're making the mistake of confusing radiation and contamination again; if you wanted to make Ho Chi Minh trail into a no-man's land you'd want to spray contamination everywhere, a completely different effort than directly killing people with small-yield radiative blasts. And plants are rather effective natural contamination filters.

Made an edit--basically saying there wasn't that much contamination to go around. However, the city was burned to gently caress, and, having been to Yellowstone a couple of years after the 1988 fire season, I can tell you that might have something to do with it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Groda posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_gardening

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

An "unhealthy dose of radiation" is usually something that kills you in ten to twenty years, which is usually beyond the scope of whatever the current military conflict is. A rapidly incapacitating dose that puts someone down in hours or days either requires exposure to the nuclear blast itself, in which case other kill mechanisms are going to be more effective, or exposure to a high amount of fallout, which is unreliable. Even at ground zero of a surface burst, fallout decays rapidly, and the radioactive particles are subject to being washed away by rain. You'd have to re-nuke the border every few weeks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe we should nuke Groda's house and find out!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

You'd have to re-nuke the border every few weeks.

Yes, but I'm sure there are downsides as well

It's worth pointing out that the study on Nuclearsecrecy was written in 66-67, and that 'nuclear use in Vietnam' would have had very different methods and objectives in the later war, once the Viet Cong were wiped out, and when the NVA was also using tank-heavy forces and massed bases.

E: Which puts into perspective Nixon's crazyman routine about being willing to go nuclear; he wasn't talking shelling HMT, he was talking about adding spice to Linebacker II, or worse

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe we should nuke Groda's house and find out!

Only if you try pop rocks and soda first

brains
May 12, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

they covered this too! radiological contamination is heavily dependent on the weather, terrain, and vegetation and even in best-case scenarios the lethal effects would be localized to ground zero for only a couple weeks. a military unit could still move through the target area with a non-significant exposure, whereas any actual population within 200 miles would really suffer the worst of the dosage. they would also have to keep nuking the borders to keep rad levels high enough to prevent troop movement. basically it would take an unsustainable number of nukes, something like 1000 a year!

in order to get the rem levels necessary, you'd have to groundburst much larger weapons than sub-10KT, and obviously that puts us outside tac nuke considerations anyways.

there is another neat section in that paper about penetrating ground bursts, designed to destroy tunnel systems. would work pretty well in theory, but again, just like tac nukes the hardest part is locating the targets in the first place and we all know how that story went for the air force throughout vietnam.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Snowdens Secret posted:

E: Which puts into perspective Nixon's crazyman routine about being willing to go nuclear; he wasn't talking shelling HMT, he was talking about adding spice to Linebacker II, or worse

Speaking of crazy Nixon :shepface:

quote:

Nixon: Well, things better start to happen or—you know, I’m—you probably don’t believe me, but I can perfectly turn, I’m capable, that is—even my own, even Haldeman wouldn’t know—I’m perfectly capable of turning right awful hard. I never have in my life. But if I found that there’s no other way—in other words, hell, if you think Cambodia had flower children fighting, we’ll bomb the goddamn North like it’s never been bombed. . . .

Kissinger: Well, I will—

Nixon: We’ll start doing it, and we’ll bomb those bastards, and then let the American people—let this country go up in flames.

From a Vanity Fair article on a fourthcoming book on some newly restored Nixon tapes. This month 40 years ago Nixon resigned.

FOUR MORE YEARS FOUR MORE YEARS

GARBAGE MEN DEMAND EQUAL TIME

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can't not hear anything by Nixon in the Billy West Futurama Nixon voice now.. It's just too good.

Fry: "Please, Mr. Nixon. We're appealing to your sense of decency."
Everybody: "Hahahahahaha"
Nixon: "Seriously though. I'm never giving back this body. Now beat it, before I get Cambodian on your asses."

Nixon: "Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever. The only one who's changed is me. I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat. And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muhuhahahaha!"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

I can't not hear anything by Nixon in the Billy West Futurama Nixon voice now.. It's just too good.

Fry: "Please, Mr. Nixon. We're appealing to your sense of decency."
Everybody: "Hahahahahaha"
Nixon: "Seriously though. I'm never giving back this body. Now beat it, before I get Cambodian on your asses."

Nixon: "Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever. The only one who's changed is me. I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat. And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muhuhahahaha!"

I do love that Billy West's Nixon is heavily informed by Anthony Hopkins as Nixon, and the weird vowel sounds he'd add into sentences.

:nixon: posted:

Now, but the point I make, however, is that there has never been a time when the United States needed, in this office, somebody who knew the Communists, who knows our strengths. Take Vietnam. Who is more keenly aware than I am that, from a political standpoint, we should have flushed it down the drain three years ago, blamed Johnson and Kennedy? . . . Kennedy got us in, Johnson kept us in. I could have blamed them and been the national hero! As Eisenhower was for ending Korea. And it wouldn’t have been too bad. Sure, the North Vietnamese would have probably slaughtered and castrated two million South Vietnamese Catholics, but nobody would have cared. These little brown people, so far away, we don’t know them very well, naturally you would say.

But on the other hand, we couldn’t do that. Not because of Vietnam but because of Japan, because of Germany, because of the Mideast. Once the United States ceases to be a great power, acting responsibly, to restrain aggression . . . [we leave room for] Russia to gobble up its neighbor.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

quote:

Now, but the point I make, however, is that there has never been a time when the United States needed, in this office, somebody who knew the Communists, who knows our strengths. Take Vietnam. Who is more keenly aware than I am that, from a political standpoint, we should have flushed it down the drain three years ago, blamed Johnson and Kennedy? . . . Kennedy got us in, Johnson kept us in. I could have blamed them and been the national hero! As Eisenhower was for ending Korea. And it wouldn’t have been too bad. Sure, the North Vietnamese would have probably slaughtered and castrated two million South Vietnamese Catholics, but nobody would have cared. These little brown people, so far away, we don’t know them very well, naturally you would say.

But on the other hand, we couldn’t do that. Not because of Vietnam but because of Japan, because of Germany, because of the Mideast. Once the United States ceases to be a great power, acting responsibly, to restrain aggression . . . [we leave room for] Russia to gobble up its neighbor.

Awfully prescient points, there

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
The Atlantic has a 41-photo gallery of the Soviet war in Afghanistan.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/08/the-soviet-war-in-afghanistan-1979-1989/100786/

Afghanistan is the best counter-argument against anyone who advocates arming the Syrian rebels.

For bonus fun, try and identify all the small arms you see the Mujahideen using.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think one of them was holding a smoothbore musket. :stare:

Maybe a shotgun.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I think it was a Vice doc were they went weapon shopping in Afghanistan and found a British musket from the first British-Afghan war in 18xx-something.