Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Most supermarkets will somewhere have a pile of loaves of bread that come in paper bags instead of plastic and aren't sliced. These breads were baked that morning, have no high fructose corn syrup or preservatives in them, and only as much sugar as is needed to feed the yeast for the style. This is the kind of bread most of the world eats.

You will have to deal with slicing it yourself *gasp* and it will go hard after three days and moldy after five *gasp* because that's what bread does when it's not loaded up with propylene glycol and BHT.

If you want bread that still lasts a while, buy the dense rye bread that comes in this style and slice it thinly. You will never go back to squishy, mealy sandwich bread again. If you do you're a giant baby.

Karma Monkey posted:

Herp derp America sucks blah blah blah

And now for a hack:

It's totally not wasteful or tedious as gently caress.

This is just oiling the wood. You can get a similar effect with a rag and a $8 can of danish oil that will last you the rest of your life if you're just using it for touch-ups like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Desperado Bones posted:

(They sell pancake mix in a bottle FYI, and you also lose batter when you use a bowl to mix ;) The thing, I've been tempted of using this. It's also used by the people who make "artistic pancakes".)

You lose batter when mixing in a bowl? Ever hear of a rubber spatula?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Sagebrush posted:

This is just oiling the wood. You can get a similar effect with a rag and a $8 can of danish oil that will last you the rest of your life if you're just using it for touch-ups like this.

Yea, I know. That's why I was pointing out how stupid it is. The scenario requiring you to instantly do a tiny short-lived touchup on a piece of furniture while you have nothing at all at your disposal except a walnut is nonexistent outside of Dear Heloise.

Life Hack: You can order things at restaurants that are slightly different from how they are on the menu. Mind blown!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Karma Monkey posted:

Apparently this idiot has never pumped gas before.

I get what you're saying, but I've honestly never seen a gas pump that doesn't need the handle to be held down for it to work.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

The latch thing is right there in the photo. Also, dude, that could actually be dangerous, wouldn't it bypass the automatic shutoff?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

KillerEggplant posted:

The latch thing is right there in the photo. Also, dude, that could actually be dangerous, wouldn't it bypass the automatic shutoff?

Yes, exactly. The latch pops when the tank is full. The gas cap will just sit there while gas pours out.

Wanamingo posted:

I get what you're saying, but I've honestly never seen a gas pump that doesn't need the handle to be held down for it to work.

Really? Every single latch on every single pump handle you've ever used was busted? lovely luck, dude.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Guys, some states have laws against the auto-pump latches. Sometimes you'll see the little latch on the handle, but it's been made useless. Diesel is one frequent exception, because making a trucker stand there for 15 minutes is a sure way to get them to skip over your state.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Meatwave posted:

Guys, some states have laws against the auto-pump latches. Sometimes you'll see the little latch on the handle, but it's been made useless. Diesel is one frequent exception, because making a trucker stand there for 15 minutes is a sure way to get them to skip over your state.

Yea, and some states won't even let you pump your own gas. But it's still a stupid hack.

ETA: Unless the laws changed after 2011, apparently Mass is the only US state to have banned the pump latches. They're probably banned in Europe though.

Karma Monkey has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Aug 3, 2014

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KillerEggplant posted:

Karma Monkey posted:

Yes, exactly. The latch pops when the tank is full. The gas cap will just sit there while gas pours out.
I don't think either of you understand how the automatic shutoff works.
Hint: If you don't use the latch thing and just squeeze the handle gas doesn't come shooting out when the tank is full and the pump doesn't force your hand open.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The guy who posted that is probably from a state (or province -- Ontario is this way, Quebec is not, don't know about the others) where the latches to hold the pump on are illegal. He's naive but it's not really that stupid, or any more dangerous than the pumps that have the actual latch built in, just lazy.

Also don't most cars have the gas cap attached to the gashole with a plastic retainer of some kind? You'd have to cut that off to do this and then you risk losing the cap.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

I don't think either of you understand how the automatic shutoff works.
Hint: If you don't use the latch thing and just squeeze the handle gas doesn't come shooting out when the tank is full and the pump doesn't force your hand open.

You can get a bit more gas in after the shutoff clicks by squeezing the handle again, in my experience, so I was concerned that wedging the handle like that wouldn't allow it to click back when it was done. Although I haven't done that for years after realizing that getting your total to an even dollar amount isn't actually worth the associated fume and leak risk, so maybe they've changed the handles since I last tried it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, and some states won't even let you pump your own gas. But it's still a stupid hack.

ETA: Unless the laws changed after 2011, apparently Mass is the only US state to have banned the pump latches. They're probably banned in Europe though.

I don't know whether they're banned, but every pump I've ever used (UK) hasn't got any kind of latch. And they automatically cut off without the handle needing to be opened.

And this derail went on for like two pages when it came up in the Scadenfreude thread. Some places don't have latching petrol pumps. Don't let it derail this thread too?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Karma Monkey posted:

Here in Europe you buy gas in plastic bags, then place the bag in a plastic gas jug (or "petrol Benny" as they call it in the UK) and use that to fill the tank.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The only potential risk with it is if the sensor that detects when the tank is full somehow fails, and the gas overflows.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or if you're a fat idiot and trip over the fuel line and yank it out of the hole while it's filling and it sprays gas everywhere. That could happen too.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Fair enough, auto shutoff blah blah gas cap blah blah derail blah blah... Enjoy some more hillbilly ingenuity:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Haha let me use my 200 dollar drill do the work of a tool I could buy for a few bucks.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
dog hackz

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Are we doing hillbilly lifehacks now? Cool...

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really think hillbillies play much tennis.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think it might be for when you go out to get the mail or go to the bank, e.x. important adult stuff. The idea being that they can dry while you do things. However, why wouldn't you just wait till like a Thursday evening to do it proper and inside without having to worry about having to do other things?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Also, paint your toenails inside like a civilized person, not outside in freezing weather like a loving maniac. If your house isn't heated you have bigger problems than not being able to comfortably paint your toenails.

It has nothing to do with painting your toenails or letting them dry, it's so that you can still show off your painted toes in the winter without your feet freezing off. (your feet will still freeze off in a sock that only covers your heel)

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Meatwave posted:

Those aren't sporks :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

I don't really think hillbillies play much tennis.

Of course not, not with all the straining they'll be doing!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

That's loving scary.

Here's one, and before anyone can say it, I DON'T CARE if it really works.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
It's the blades that are expensive, not the handles... so this is useless.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Lifehack: increase sexual pleasure by getting circumcised! Exposing the tip of your penis = more contact area.

Lifehack: Save up to 20% while dining out by not tipping the waitress! If the waitress doesn't like this, she can always get a better job elsewhere!

Lifehack: Never get mugged or assaulted by openly carrying a firearm everywhere you go! You have a constitutional right to stand your ground!

Lifehack: Always get your steak cooked well done. You pay the same price for getting it cooked rare, so get your money's worth!

Lifehack: Add beans to your chili to make it last longer! Plus fiber!

Lifehack: Derail any thread by bringing up circumcision, tipping, open carry, steaks, chili, or loving gas dispensing laws! Goons hate this one weird tip!!

Comptroll The Forums has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Aug 3, 2014

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!

Minarch posted:

Lifehack: increase sexual pleasure by getting circumcised! Exposing the tip of your penis = more contact area.

Lifehack: Save up to 20% while dining out by not tipping the waitress! If the waitress doesn't like this, she can always get a better job elsewhere!

Lifehack: Never get mugged or assaulted by openly carrying a firearm everywhere you go! You have a constitutional right to stand your ground!

Lifehack: Always get your steak cooked well done. You pay the same price for getting it cooked rare, so get your money's worth!

Lifehack: Derail any thread by bringing up circumcision, tipping, open carry, steaks, chili, or loving gas dispensing laws! Goons hate this one weird tip!!

Lifehack: Wipe sitting down because you're not some kind of weirdo.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Zombear posted:

Lifehack: Wipe sitting down because you're not some kind of weirdo.

Hahaha :nattyburn:

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Minarch posted:

Well you see as a smart and intelligent man who is very intelligent I feel that blah blah blah inflammatory comment insults blah blah

Lifehack: When arguing on the internet, be sure to post as much as you loving can. The more words, the more smarter you are!

Yes the grammar error is intentional

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lifehack: poop back and forth forever

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Lifehack: Some stores have a wider selection of bread to choose from than the liquor store people are apparently doing their grocery shopping at.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Lifehack: Too many friends? Cull the herd by being an rear end when they borrow something.

Oh FFS, really? Really? REALLY?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

Life Hack: You can order things at restaurants that are slightly different from how they are on the menu. Mind blown!

Aha, my boyfriend works at Chipotle and he says this is the worst thing to ever order. It takes forever and costs about 11 bucks. It'd be cheaper just to order a burrito and customize it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Meatwave posted:

Wait, whats the point of this? Disposable razors come with handles.

Lifehack: Don't like waiting in line? Just walk up to the counter beside the line and demand to be served. The minimum wage slave in a dead in job with serve you next just to get rid of you!

When I worked retail i'd get people doing that one every once and a while

When shopping, look for things that are mispriced, even if you don't want it you can still get it for cheaper!

Don't dirty dishes when making spaghetti, just eat the pasta from the pot and take swigs of sauce from the jar every once and a while #Billhacks

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Aug 4, 2014

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Karma Monkey posted:

Lifehack: Too many friends? Cull the herd by being an rear end when they borrow something.

I almost did this once, but I didn't have an iPhone, so I stopped

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Stalin McHitler posted:

I almost did this once, but I didn't have an iPhone, so I stopped

It won't work with any other type of camera phone! What disappoints me most about this one is the example in the photo is a DVD of Following, "from the director of Memento." If he'd been holding up a DVD of Memento, that would have been meta enough to at least give me a chuckle.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Make bearded men sad that they ever trusted you by proving that you don't trust them!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, I know. That's why I was pointing out how stupid it is. The scenario requiring you to instantly do a tiny short-lived touchup on a piece of furniture while you have nothing at all at your disposal except a walnut is nonexistent outside of Dear Heloise.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Karma Monkey posted:

That's loving scary.

I don't really understand how you're supposed to get the string in there without making a huge mess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Karma Monkey posted:

That's loving scary.

Sooo how do you get the string to the bottom?