Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

I want to be able to put goblin heads on pikes and have goblins get scared away.

It hardly seems necessary. A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived! The first goblin starts beating up a pig, the rest of them freak out and run away, breaking the siege state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Kommando posted:

Oh! My save game won't work because I removed royal jelly and I had some jugs full of it in a stockpile. Duh.

Replaced royal jelly, save still wont load. Still confused. Might just need to make a new fortress. Thats a shame. I was liking my layout.

---

ADVENTURE MODE!

Dont try to climb down a waterfall.

I pray to Cish Fatedphantoms the Fatal Crypt god of suicide to help me...
IM NOT DEAD! just floundering in the water with broken arms. :psydwarf:

----

Slowly swimming downstream to avoid becoming tired and drowning, ive floundered my way out of the chasm and onto dry land. I have broken arms and a smashed rib, bruising but otherwise alive. I have to leave the site of the goblin pits before i can march overland to the nearest town.

----

After dragging myself from the river i muster all my willpower to hustle up to a jog, then an run to make distance between myself and the goblin pits. I peel away from the river and up onto the plains and make it back to town.

Blessedly my broken arms healed along the way and i have but a sore ear to show for my tumble, it is now midday as far as i can rekon. What an eventful morning.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 3, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Angry Diplomat posted:

My guess: there were bones or other body bits in the refuse pile, the merchants became horribly afraid of them, the draft animals flipped out and dragged the wagons somewhere impassable, and the wagons exploded.

knowing Dwarf Fortress, it's probably more likely that the wagon itself got frightened and tried to leave

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Duckaerobics posted:

I'm not sure if it works against invaders, but I had dwarfs climb over block walls.
Well, I've had a lot of NPCs fail to climb block walls in adventure mode, and when fast travel plopped me on top of a building made out of them I fell down when I tried to climb down carefully.

Maybe they need to be 2 squares high?

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014
drat dwarf cut a tree full of dwarfs now halve of them are drowning in the river. Gonna restart.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DwarvenZombie posted:

drat dwarf cut a tree full of dwarfs now halve of them are drowning in the river. Gonna restart.

Should have left those elf sympathizers to drown.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The new trees and climbing are awesome. I just had a swordsdwarf see a giant langur across a river with no bridge. He proceeded to climb up a tree on his side of the river, jump across to a tree one tile away, jump down, then run at it full sprint and cut it in half. :black101:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

DwarvenZombie posted:

My dwarves embarked on the side of a mountain, destroying the wagon and scattering their goods and selves through about five different trees. Only way to get the horses down was to cut them down, then pick up their remains at the bottom of the cliff for emergency butchery. Fortunately the cat survived with only a pulped leg, landing this side of the terrible drop.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014

Pickled Tink posted:

My dwarves embarked on the side of a mountain, destroying the wagon and scattering their goods and selves through about five different trees. Only way to get the horses down was to cut them down, then pick up their remains at the bottom of the cliff for emergency butchery. Fortunately the cat survived with only a pulped leg, landing this side of the terrible drop.

The new trees have been a nice source of wood, plus in adventure mode, the ability to do a "leaping" attack is so badass.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm sort of overwhelmed by Masterwork. I've just been doing a vanilla layout through the first few waves of migrants, but I end up with living stone and relics and I don't know which animals I want and there are all these other workshops and what is research and :iit:

Is there an LP somewhere that's good?

(sawmills golems paint changelings stable ogod)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What happens to all the items when a fort is retired?

Could I theoretically retire the fort, start an adventurer there and pick up all the armor I've had forged by master smiths?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

What happens to all the items when a fort is retired?

Could I theoretically retire the fort, start an adventurer there and pick up all the armor I've had forged by master smiths?

They stay in the fort, but they might not necessarily be in the same locations (not sure on the mechanics for item scattering on retirE).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

There should be a tumbling skill so you can survive some falls.

I can just imagine that being legendary in tumbling, a dwarf jumps off a tower and slams into the ground like the hulk, completely unharmed.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 3, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

They stay in the fort, but they might not necessarily be in the same locations (not sure on the mechanics for item scattering on retirE).

They get strewn about semi-randomly with the distance they move being based on their weight. Lead poo poo barely moves at all. Almost nothing actually stays in its actual container so no you don't get to recover all your precious booze.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess after I break this siege I'll retire the fort and go item treasure hunting. I've got some adamantine armor pieces that will probably scatter to some place that isn't even accessible.

(the lair command would be nice right about now)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I'm sort of overwhelmed by Masterwork. I've just been doing a vanilla layout through the first few waves of migrants, but I end up with living stone and relics and I don't know which animals I want and there are all these other workshops and what is research and :iit:

Is there an LP somewhere that's good?

(sawmills golems paint changelings stable ogod)

I'd turn research off if I was you. Relics go in the Archeologist shop, they can be lots of cool things after they get worked. Sometimes mithril armor, weapons, and sometimes useless rusty iron things. Living stone can be turned into meat at a slaughterhouse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They get strewn about semi-randomly with the distance they move being based on their weight. Lead poo poo barely moves at all. Almost nothing actually stays in its actual container so no you don't get to recover all your precious booze.

So it's the same as abandoning, then? I was hoping retiring would keep poo poo in place.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sometimes when I fast travel, wounds cure themselves. Sometimes they don't. Will those ever recover because they don't seem to after a couple weeks of play.

How do I apply crutches/splints? Do they help wounds recover faster or do they simply give me a little more speed?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think using DFhack you can mark an area as a lair and the items won't get strewn about when you retire/abandon.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Met posted:

Sometimes when I fast travel, wounds cure themselves. Sometimes they don't. Will those ever recover because they don't seem to after a couple weeks of play.

How do I apply crutches/splints? Do they help wounds recover faster or do they simply give me a little more speed?

Bones can't heal if you don't set them. I also can't think of any way to do healthcare-y things in adventure mode yet.

A splint does the same thing as a plaster cast - it temporarily does the job of the broken [STRUCTURAL] tissue in that limb and lets you use it normally. A crutch replaces a completely destroyed STANCE part and lets you walk with only one leg. As the Crutch Walker skill goes up, you get to the point where you're as fast as before the injury.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angela Christine posted:

The human caravan just got so scared that their wagons exploded.

What? Why? How?

:stare:

Although an explanation has been provided, I like to imagine this is exactly what happened.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never rode out a full development cycle before. How long do we expect it to be before Toady stops putting out new patches every week or so? As excited as I am for the new version, I have avoided playing while waiting for some of the big bugs to be fixed (everyone being terrified of everything for example) and for the version to stabilize.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

I've never rode out a full development cycle before. How long do we expect it to be before Toady stops putting out new patches every week or so? As excited as I am for the new version, I have avoided playing while waiting for some of the big bugs to be fixed (everyone being terrified of everything for example) and for the version to stabilize.

A few months. The previous version was released on the 14th of February and its final bugfix on the 4th of June. I'm not sure where in all that the most crippling bugs were fixed, though, or even if there were many crippling bugs.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

A few months. The previous version was released on the 14th of February and its final bugfix on the 4th of June. I'm not sure where in all that the most crippling bugs were fixed, though, or even if there were many crippling bugs.

Does Toady care at all about the everyone-is-scared-of-their-shadow bug, or the bug that conquering armies always win? Hasn't he not even acknowledged those bugs? I'm worried he considers them "working as intended."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

reading posted:

Does Toady care at all about the everyone-is-scared-of-their-shadow bug, or the bug that conquering armies always win? Hasn't he not even acknowledged those bugs? I'm worried he considers them "working as intended."

The morale bug is something he's working on. Making morale work well isn't exactly an easy task, particularly when you consider everything a creature AI needs to take into account. It's a small wonder that it works at all, as is. He's been tweaking it since the new version was released, so hopefully it will be goon enough soon enough.
However, he mentioned that the 'conquering armies always win' thing is a placeholder until he can make a working battle system for post worldgen history. Which might actually be something left for another release, unfortunately.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

my dad posted:

The morale bug is something he's working on. Making morale work well isn't exactly an easy task, particularly when you consider everything a creature AI needs to take into account. It's a small wonder that it works at all, as is. He's been tweaking it since the new version was released, so hopefully it will be goon enough soon enough.
However, he mentioned that the 'conquering armies always win' thing is a placeholder until he can make a working battle system for post worldgen history. Which might actually be something left for another release, unfortunately.

Couldn't he just do a simple placeholder battle system where whoever has more dudes=winner or something like that?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Couldn't he just do a simple placeholder battle system where whoever has more dudes=winner or something like that?

It depends on what the placeholder is for. He might have not implemented the consequences of a defender winning.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One of my miners was down several z levels "looking for a small creature". Then a trade caravan showed up and distracted me, but the next time I looked he was dead. There's no report of what happened. It seems he just starved or thirsted to death in his search.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

He was hunting for rats in his starvation.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah, that would at least be SOMETHING. Right now there's no point in even retiring anything if your civilization is at war - You'll just immediately lose it, anyway.

Toady needs to overcome his aversion against incremental improvements to placeholder mechanics, because this perfectionism is sometimes really dragging the game down. But that sentence is pretty much df_problems.txt.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Gimmick Account posted:

Yeah, that would at least be SOMETHING. Right now there's no point in even retiring anything if your civilization is at war - You'll just immediately lose it, anyway.

Toady needs to overcome his aversion against incremental improvements to placeholder mechanics, because this perfectionism is sometimes really dragging the game down. But that sentence is pretty much df_problems.txt.

Yeah, the idea of genning an awesome world and filling it with your own civilization sounded awesome. But doesn't work too well when some asshats with some pillows and a comfy chair can knock over a fort. I really didn't expect that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gimmick Account posted:

Here's the problem: Without access to source code, we can't know how difficult a "just add X" request is. Things that sound really easy to implement can sometimes be absolute nightmares.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

my dad posted:

Here's the problem: Without access to source code, we can't know how difficult a "just add X" request is. Things that sound really easy to implement can sometimes be absolute nightmares.

Really? Even just a 'the side with more soldiers wins automatically'-sanity check so that situations such as those unstoppable handful-of-men-armies don't occur anymore?

I cannot imagine this being so challenging to implement for the guy who already constructed the game we have all been playing for years now.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Given the complexity of the whole Dwarf Fortress project I'd be a little hesitant to make assumptions about the simplicity of anything. Remember that if Dwarf Fortress were a sensible project designed by a sane programmer it would have ended development years ago as a 2d digging-and-fighting game.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Gimmick Account posted:

Really? Even just a 'the side with more soldiers wins automatically'-sanity check so that situations such as those unstoppable handful-of-men-armies don't occur anymore?

That's easy (and it's how world gen battles already work). The hard part is what happens if you show up there as an adventurer while it's happening.

Also: :siren: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.06 Released :siren:

quote:

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Another bug fix release.

Major bug fixes
(*) Fixed a problem causing certain jobs to become stuck when their paths were interrupted
(*) Stopped dwarves from starting conflicts with led creatures
(*) Stopped led creatures from wandering away from leader
(*) Made buildings with burrows require a connectivity check when searching for items
(*) Made dwarves forbid webs that are "accessible" but require pathing through unexplored areas
(*) Reduced number of automation jobs created
(*) Made some jobs respect fish/vermin amount when producing products
(*) Make potash from lye respects lye stacks
(*) Made jobs requiring several e.g. bones not need many individual stacks
(*) Made thread spinning job not use up all of a stack of wool
(*) Stopped decoration job from consuming entire stacks
(*) Stopping using entire stack of meat to bait animal trap
(*) Stopped reactions from consuming way too many raw materials from stacks (ag), though reactions that use very small amounts still use at least 1 item from a stack
(*) Stopped mining of root from removing the tree

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Stopped announcement of theft of hidden reclaimed underground objects
(*) Stopped birth announcements for hidden creatures and separated wild/tame animal birth announcements
(*) Stopped hidden/forbidden buildings from being listed in lever link menu
(*) Stopped hidden/forbidden buildings from appearing in room list
(*) Stopped hidden items from appearing in military equipment lists
(*) Made trees update indoor/etc. settings properly upon removal
(*) Made building/stockpile menus to respect different window heights
(*) Made hunger/thirst/etc. indicators display properly in travel
(*) Made vision arc display turn off for blinded creatures
(*) Made scarred over wounds to broken functional layers continue to impair function
(*) Removed requirement that a creature have a baby/child state to breed
(*) Fixed plant growth consumption preferences (Quietust)
(*) Fixed display of tree roots designated for mining
(*) Fixed reversed display of zone sizing controls
(*) Made random creatures only spit liquid spittle
(*) Fixed state token for mud creature tissues (Quietust)
(*) Stopped traders from bringing unspecified "liquid" from bloodsucking animals (Quietust)
(*) Fixed problem causing multiple plant listings in stockpile
(*) Made jobs properly cut away pieces of corpses for use (so that reanimation etc. respects partial use)
(*) Made reactions count up and trim away body component materials properly
(*) Added wound description for partially butchered parts
(*) Made globs stackable
(*) Fixed unretire message on linux/osx
(*) Stopped dwarven forges in world gen sites from using thrones instead of anvils
(*) Fixed message for being caught in a cloud of vapor/dust (Quietust)
(*) Removed special materials from dwarf prefs
(*) Clarified generated items in stockpiles (can't remove yet)
(*) Fixed adjectives for randomly generated blowdarts/bolts (old saves still broken)
(*) Made burrow indicator show over hidden areas
(*) Fixed broken language selection for certain names
(*) Can copy basic item type/subtype with reagent using GET_ITEM_DATA_FROM_REAGENT:<reagent token>:NONE

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 3, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, dag!

What's that about stackable globs? I mean, really stacking globs?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Gimmick Account posted:

I cannot imagine this being so challenging to implement for the guy who already constructed the game we have all been playing for years now.

How do we know that the issue is that he couldn't program a placeholder battle system? For all we know, a "defenders win" scenario may cause certain issues that we aren't aware of yet. I think the fact that it seems like Toady could have easily fixed this problem is more evidence for there issues with the code that we aren't aware of. He wouldn't leave such a gaping oversight without a good reason.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

"drat, you so ugly I better make an eternal pact with you so that everyone can see and laugh."

e:

Holy poo poo.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 3, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

"drat, you so ugly I better make an eternal pact with you so that everyone can see and laugh."

e:

Holy poo poo.
Necromancer turned Night creature. Can she still have apprentice, go to a tower or write books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

scamtank posted:

Oh, dag!

What's that about stackable globs? I mean, really stacking globs?

is that explicitly a item "glob" or is it a word to describe all the items that dont stack when they get picked up? cause the latter would be a pretty awesome change