Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

platedlizard posted:

Did you at least tell him first that the CDC has had samples of Ebola in the US for decades before you unfriended him? I want to know what the conspiracy nut response to that is.

I dunno, I saw that Walking Dead episode when they were at the CDC and it confirms my theory that Obama is behind giving ebola to all the wealthy white landowners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Unfortunately I didn't ask him but I'd love to have known his response. He probably thinks I'm in on it all now or something.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

platedlizard posted:

It's a summer camp for rich and powerful old men. They put on a play, talk, and drink. I guess the campers might talk about important things but it's not like they couldn't talk to each other at other times either. Alex Jones thinks it's a meeting for the illuminati or whatever.

Not only that, I've had someone try to prove to me that they perform a yearly human sacrifice to a giant metal owl using some grainy Alex Jones youtube video. Said person also believed the WTC was hit by missiles or empty planes or some other stupid poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Not only that, I've had someone try to prove to me that they perform a yearly human sacrifice to a giant metal owl using some grainy Alex Jones youtube video. Said person also believed the WTC was hit by missiles or empty planes or some other stupid poo poo.

They do do this. Except it's a theater dummy and it's done in the context of the yearly play they perform, where the first few acts are written anew each year (because the charter of the club mandates having a bunch of bay area artists as members who attend), and the last act with the cremation of the effigy of Care is the same.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
Well holy poo poo, they were marginally less crazy than I thought.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jon Ronson went into the Bohemian Grove the same days Alex Jones did. The difference was Jon just walked in and acted like he belonged, and went around actually talking to the people there, while Alex Jones spent most of his time hiding in bushes and poo poo.

He writes about it in his book "Them" and he also discusses it in part 4 of the TV miniseries "The Secret Rulers of the World".

Basically it's a bunch of mostly old, mostly white rich people who camp out with some California artist types for a weekend and do a big high school theater crew type performance at the end of it (although it's a high school theater performance with major city orchestras and high end lighting and tech equipment available).

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

While Alex Jones is nuts there is a grain of truth to the Bohemian Grove stories. Not in the sense that it's full of illuminati lizard men but for a time at least it was major meeting ground for Republican leaders, particularly those in California. Herbert Hoover invited Richard Nixon to the Grove when Nixon was a young Congressman, which ensured Nixon's rapid rise through the Republican party. Nixon also publicly said that a 1967 speech he gave at the Groove was the most satisfying and important of his career.

It's kind of like Skull and Bones and Bilderberg, it's an organization that networks powerful people including national and world leaders. Because that's the obvious purpose of the organization though there really isn't any "conspiracy" to it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Does anyone know of any good video rebuttals to the whole "Loose Change" stuff? My Pop, in his retirements years, has taken to watching lots of documentaries and has for some reason taken a shine to the LC videos. Dunno why, he's usually more skeptical than that. Anyways, any links I could send him would be cool.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Barlow posted:

It's kind of like Skull and Bones and Bilderberg, it's an organization that networks powerful people including national and world leaders. Because that's the obvious purpose of the organization though there really isn't any "conspiracy" to it.

That's what makes Jones so silly. Rich and powerful people meeting up to talk about ways to become more rich and powerful isn't really all that unusual, so he's got to add some level of insanity and mystery to keep people listening.

The most absurd part of course being that only Jones knows all these secrets and is able to blast them out worldwide for three hours a day for like twenty years without anyone stopping him.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me

Nintendo Kid posted:

Basically it's a bunch of mostly old, mostly white rich people who camp out with some California artist types for a weekend and do a big high school theater crew type performance at the end of it (although it's a high school theater performance with major city orchestras and high end lighting and tech equipment available).

Barlow posted:

While Alex Jones is nuts there is a grain of truth to the Bohemian Grove stories. Not in the sense that it's full of illuminati lizard men but for a time at least it was major meeting ground for Republican leaders, particularly those in California. Herbert Hoover invited Richard Nixon to the Grove when Nixon was a young Congressman, which ensured Nixon's rapid rise through the Republican party. Nixon also publicly said that a 1967 speech he gave at the Groove was the most satisfying and important of his career.

Oh yeah, none of that surprises me. The whole thing happens right by my hometown and I've got friends who worked there growing up. They basically played a game of "identify all the ex-presidents." It was specifically the owl thing that I thought was insane. Turns out it actually happens (minus the actual ritual murder)!

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Seventh Arrow posted:

Does anyone know of any good video rebuttals to the whole "Loose Change" stuff? My Pop, in his retirements years, has taken to watching lots of documentaries and has for some reason taken a shine to the LC videos. Dunno why, he's usually more skeptical than that. Anyways, any links I could send him would be cool.

http://www.debunking911.com/

That one's pretty well done. It's not a documentary, but it's something.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Barlow posted:

William Domhoff has an interesting article on the Bohemian Club. I also suggest the one on rule by the upper class.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Seventh Arrow posted:

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/

This is a good review of Zeitgeist which tries and extrapolate a much larger conspiracy but Act 2 is all about 9/11 with similar talking points to loose change, so the site does similarly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

The History Channel teamed up with Popular Mechanics a couple of years ago to do a debunking documentary special.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

The History Channel teamed up with Popular Mechanics a couple of years ago to do a debunking documentary special.

Is that the one where they did a bunch of experiments showing people what happened, but the CTs rebutted by saying "Yea, but that doesn't disprove my theory!".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Poison Jam posted:

Unfortunately I didn't ask him but I'd love to have known his response. He probably thinks I'm in on it all now or something.

Against better judgement I told a Facebook friend's brother that he doesn't have to worry about the black helicopters or people coming for him because I passed along word that he's too stupid for anyone to take seriously. He's full on Chemtrail and Fukishima-is-super-Chernobyl and NWO so I'm probably on some kill list for them now.

Seventh Arrow posted:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=911_morons ?

twistedmentat posted:

Is that the one where they did a bunch of experiments showing people what happened, but the CTs rebutted by saying "Yea, but that doesn't disprove my theory!".

This could apply to everything that debunks their stupidity, so yes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nintendo Kid posted:

They do do this. Except it's a theater dummy and it's done in the context of the yearly play they perform, where the first few acts are written anew each year (because the charter of the club mandates having a bunch of bay area artists as members who attend), and the last act with the cremation of the effigy of Care is the same.

Somehow none of this has any surprise or shock value to me, not after watching people worship, praise and kiss the feet of a cardboard image of George Bush.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/

This is a good review of Zeitgeist which tries and extrapolate a much larger conspiracy but Act 2 is all about 9/11 with similar talking points to loose change, so the site does similarly.

I can't help but highly recommend reading the Part 1 debunking, too, if only because it points out most (but not all) of the various oversimplifications and manipulations of historical mythology the filmmakers used to justify their "point", such as it was. It alone makes for a great case against the rest of it, and hammers home the idea that the people spreading these statements aren't above literally revising history to fit their narrative.

Just to clarify the "but not all" above, there was a particular statement made in Part 1 that I can't remember the exact details of, but it was more or less a quote from a 19th century Egyptologist repeated as fact - never mind that the guy's work itself has been debunked as little more than amateur-level guesswork and handwaving about what he thinks certain things mean, despite the scholarly consensus of the time having already agreed that a lot of what he was saying was wrong. They don't even check to see if their own sources are credible, so why should they be credible themselves?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SocketWrench posted:

Somehow none of this has any surprise or shock value to me, not after watching people worship, praise and kiss the feet of a cardboard image of George Bush.
I think it's hilarious. I would totally come along, take pictures and photoshop in various conspiracy theory stuff just to drive the nutters crazy.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

William Domhoff has an interesting article on the Bohemian Club. I also suggest the one on rule by the upper class.

Alright yeah, skimming through this, I think my original impression was more or less correct: it's a gathering of the rich and powerful, but short of them all being put in the same prison it's probably the least harmful gathering of the rich and powerful imaginable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Late, but this is my favorite TOYS ARE SATAN video from the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnjdq32u-MU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I can't help but highly recommend reading the Part 1 debunking, too, if only because it points out most (but not all) of the various oversimplifications and manipulations of historical mythology the filmmakers used to justify their "point", such as it was. It alone makes for a great case against the rest of it, and hammers home the idea that the people spreading these statements aren't above literally revising history to fit their narrative.

Just to clarify the "but not all" above, there was a particular statement made in Part 1 that I can't remember the exact details of, but it was more or less a quote from a 19th century Egyptologist repeated as fact - never mind that the guy's work itself has been debunked as little more than amateur-level guesswork and handwaving about what he thinks certain things mean, despite the scholarly consensus of the time having already agreed that a lot of what he was saying was wrong. They don't even check to see if their own sources are credible, so why should they be credible themselves?

I will never not find Jesus = Ra funny as hell. Aside from them making some stuff up about Ra wholesale the entire thing hinges on a pun that only works in English.

Son of God = Sun God!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

16:25. SKELETOOOOR

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I will never not find Jesus = Ra funny as hell. Aside from them making some stuff up about Ra wholesale the entire thing hinges on a pun that only works in English.

Son of God = Sun God!

Yeah, when Zeitgeist originally made the rounds I heard people talking about it and started to watch it. I turned it off when they got to the "Son=Sun" thing because someone who says that isn't worth the time.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Son of God = Sun God!

Oh god. It revolves around a Star Trek plot?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

Well they started doing it because it's what a group of overgrown fraternity bros thought would be totally rad and spooky back in the 30s/40s.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I wonder what the venn diagram would look like between Alex Jones/911 Truther...and people who fully believed Y2K was going to usher us into a full on Nuclear Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WkGyAqVmCk

BTW, Here's Alex Jones on December 31, 1999.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wonder what the venn diagram would look like between Alex Jones/911 Truther...and people who fully believed Y2K was going to usher us into a full on Nuclear Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WkGyAqVmCk

BTW, Here's Alex Jones on December 31, 1999.

Wow, that made me think tho.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hahaha, I was in a Facebook comment argument and someone linked Globalresearch.ca. When I called them on it, they linked a loving PressTV article as backup. For people who rail about government lies all the time, conspiracy theorists sure are willing to drink them up when it's a government saying a lie they want to be true.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Brian Dunning of Skeptoid has been sentenced to 15 months in prison for wire fraud. The prosecutor said that they were tough on him to show they aren't soft in white collar crime.

Because of this, every single skeptical thing he's ever said is false so therefore all conspiracies and pseudoscientific claims are true.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

twistedmentat posted:

So Brian Dunning of Skeptoid has been sentenced to 15 months in prison for wire fraud. The prosecutor said that they were tough on him to show they aren't soft in white collar crime.

Because of this, every single skeptical thing he's ever said is false so therefore all conspiracies and pseudoscientific claims are true.

Why is the NWO shutting down the guy pretending the NWO doesn't exist? Clearly they're playing 12-dimensional chess (11 is not enough) :tinfoil:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

He is kind of a poo poo though for saying that he relies entirely on donations for his livelihood, though this may in fact be true now that he's been caught.

On the other hand, he did teach me how to beat a lie detector a few weeks ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack Gladney posted:

He is kind of a poo poo though for saying that he relies entirely on donations for his livelihood, though this may in fact be true now that he's been caught.

On the other hand, he did teach me how to beat a lie detector a few weeks ago.

Yea, That was the big thing I noticed that people were really upset at.

Oh god, check out his defense (as torn apart by the brilliant and hilarious Dr Rebecca Watson)
http://skepchick.org/2014/08/a-critical-analysis-of-brian-dunnings-explanation/

It sounds like he was pretty much copying Free Republics model. Just that him being in a rational community, he got caught. She also mentioned Ben Radford falsifying data, which probably explains why I haven't heard him on Monstertalk in a long time.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 7, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

He wasn't copying freep's model. Freep takes willing donations from suckers, Dunning was using malware.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RagnarokAngel posted:

He wasn't copying freep's model. Freep takes willing donations from suckers, Dunning was using malware.

I should had specified that I meant using his family as employees and paying them a stupid amount of money.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, That was the big thing I noticed that people were really upset at.

Oh god, check out his defense (as torn apart by the brilliant and hilarious Dr Rebecca Watson)
http://skepchick.org/2014/08/a-critical-analysis-of-brian-dunnings-explanation/

It sounds like he was pretty much copying Free Republics model. Just that him being in a rational community, he got caught. She also mentioned Ben Radford falsifying data, which probably explains why I haven't heard him on Monstertalk in a long time.

You also haven't heard him lately because he harassed and groped Karen Stolznow, which also explains why she hasn't been on Monstertalk in a while either, though she has been back recently.

http://skepchick.org/2013/08/ben-radford-accused-of-sexual-harassment/

Expect a guilty verdict for Radford too once he gets a day in court.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

Socially acceptable schizophrenia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I didn't realize Dunning had blackmailed the other guy. I hope he gets his skull cracked on a toilet bowl while he's in there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack Gladney posted:

You also haven't heard him lately because he harassed and groped Karen Stolznow, which also explains why she hasn't been on Monstertalk in a while either, though she has been back recently.

http://skepchick.org/2013/08/ben-radford-accused-of-sexual-harassment/

Expect a guilty verdict for Radford too once he gets a day in court.

Ah, that explains why Monstertalk was on hiatus for like half a year, and Dr Stolznow wasn't on it for a long time after it came back.

Again, the really annoying thing is conspiracy theorists will point to that stuff as proof of the untrustworth and immoral people that make up the skeptical community, while they are all moral and upright and would never do those terrible things. Now let me tell you why Jews are running the world banks and causing wars with Iceland and some :biotruths: about why women get raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The skeptical community has a pretty huge problem with biotruths and rape too, I'm afraid.

• Locked thread