Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Monicro posted:

Wait what's wrong with 10 minute videos? Less content per update is a legitimate complaint I guess, but if I had less free time I would much prefer that length to 30-40 minute episodes.

A 10-minute time limit is very constraining. Because of that it can make for very sudden and intrusive cut-off points in a video.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monicro posted:

Wait what's wrong with 10 minute videos? Less content per update is a legitimate complaint I guess, but if I had less free time I would much prefer that length to 30-40 minute episodes.

People only brought it up because Youtube had a ten-minute video limit back then.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I still need to beat La-Mulana. The remake one. The problem is that I get stuck on some dumb puzzle looking for a solution, and there's no good guide that hints to where I should go and what I should pay attention to next instead of just giving me the solution. Does DeceasedCrab's LP do that?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I haven't watched his remake ones, but La-Mulana is one of those games that expect you to get lost and stuck repeatedly, and solutions to puzzles can be far removed geographically from the result of solving them. As a result, if you know what you're doing and you're trying to solve the game as efficiently as possible, it's going to look like you're just constantly doing strange stuff all over the place and then puzzles turn out to be solved somehow. It's really hard to give hints in video form for La-Mulana. You're probably better off just asking someone for hints to specific puzzles...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The thread in games is good for getting advice.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Suspicious Dish posted:

I still need to beat La-Mulana. The remake one. The problem is that I get stuck on some dumb puzzle looking for a solution, and there's no good guide that hints to where I should go and what I should pay attention to next instead of just giving me the solution. Does DeceasedCrab's LP do that?

I did an LP for the La-Mulana Remake that pretty much explains every puzzle. Might need to power through the specific area vid to find your solution, but I pretty much cover everything sans Hell Temple.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Monicro posted:

You seriously would prefer 100 parts of even the shortest LPed game? Because that's what you're asking, when you can just pause the video at 10 minutes and come back to it later.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Tae posted:

You seriously would prefer 100 parts of even the shortest LPed game? Because that's what you're asking, when you can just pause the video at 10 minutes and come back to it later.

I didn't mean it like that per se, I just misinterpreted Hyper Crab Tank's post as saying 10 minute videos are inherently bad regardless of imposed limits and I asked why because it didn't seem like a big deal to me.

e: but yes, as I said I would hypothetically prefer shorter videos that I could watch in one sitting to watching a longer one over multiple, but to each their own

Monicro fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 4, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's currently an LP of the La Mulana remake going on. The nice thing about this LP is that Agent355 explains where to find clues to each and every puzzle. Most players stumble upon solutions without ever getting the clues. Agent355 shows the clues are still there. However, the clues and the solutions follow each other quite fast in the videos, so it's not that useful as a hint system.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
The complaint about DC and 10-minute videos at the time was the accusation he wanted to be a YouTube celebrity, and that's why he wanted it as priority hosting.

DC argued that YouTube was so ubiquitous, there was a better chance that the hosting would never go away.

I have to admit to disagreeing with him at the time and thinking "why doesn't he just pick one other host to shut everyone up?" but he was right. You can argue the reasons, but it was true.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014
On topic about re-doing LP's, I know I'm re-doing almost everything on my channel due to a variety of reason. Mostly I want to redo since I've learned a lot over the years about commentary and video editing and quality so now when I look back at my older stuff I cringe and wonder how I ever thought they were even acceptable in any way, YouTube people tend not to criticize though since they eat almost anything which is probably why I kept uploading crap for so long. In terms of re-doing a game because of a new version I'm a little 50/50 on, I mean if done for the reason because you enjoyed the game enough and you see it as a liable excuse to play it again so be it I guess, It seems a lot more pointless at the moment though since most of these "updated" versions are just ports with higher graphic settings and no new content to talk about and if you aren't planning on improving the video quality itself for YouTube or what not to show how much nicer the game looks then why bother? Though search results seem more and more unreliable on the site especially recently since Google is constantly favoring established channels and tossing up certain videos in one category as "related" in every video in the same category and more or less snuffing out any results to anybody who doesn't already have a large following. At least this seems to be the case to newly uploaded videos.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Bluebomberimo posted:

Though search results seem more and more unreliable on the site especially recently since Google is constantly favoring established channels and tossing up certain videos in one category as "related" in every video in the same category and more or less snuffing out any results to anybody who doesn't already have a large following. At least this seems to be the case to newly uploaded videos.

Well, see. You shouldn't really care about views and subs if you're doing LP as a hobby.

I mean sure. You'll want SOME audience, otherwise you might as well just look at the video on your computer yourself but it shouldn't be something to concern yourself with. You should instead just try to make good videos you'd want to watch yourself. Even if that's not what youtube wants to see. Certain types of LPs are more popular on different platforms, like here on SA or other LP forums anyway. (be careful here, a lot are crap. I'm from LPF which is good for getting feedback and all that jazz.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People who say "I do Let's Plays only for fun and I don't care about my viewer base" are liars. The whole point of it is to get people to watch it. There's a difference between wanting to have popularity so people watch your stuff and using popularity as a judge of your quality as an LPer. That's why it sucks that Youtube and I guess vicariously Google are weighted toward people who are already popular.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 4, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Not really. I started making videos no one ever watched. A lot of them had 0 views and I still had fun doing them and continued doing it despite no one watching my stuff.
But saying I don't care about the viewer base I have would be a lie, true.
Viewer base being different from those magic little numbers that youtube presents to you on your dashboard: the views and subscribers. Those numbers are no indicator for quality or people actually watching a video. I mean, sure, if those numbers going up make you a happier man I'm not gonna take that away from you but it shouldn't be your motivation for doing it because they mean very little.

E: ninja edited your post, you dick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IGgy IGsen posted:

E: ninja edited your post, you dick.

I prefer to call it 'reformatting'.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I would not post LPs if I were broadcasting into a void. They're too much effort. I would just do exactly the same thing without recording to it, and the jokes would be lost in the wind, like that movie, Last Samurai. It's nice to see cool stuff people make or funny things people post.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My point is that getting popular probably shouldn't be your main goal but pretending it's not an important part of it is not going to do you any favors.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, Youtube subscribed me to an LPer who I have never heard of before, never clicked on any of his videos, and certainly didn't click the subscribe button. What's the deal with that?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

my dad posted:

So, Youtube subscribed me to an LPer who I have never heard of before, never clicked on any of his videos, and certainly didn't click the subscribe button. What's the deal with that?

You didn't know you wanted to subscribe until they took the initiative for you.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

IGgy IGsen posted:

Well, see. You shouldn't really care about views and subs if you're doing LP as a hobby.

I mean sure. You'll want SOME audience, otherwise you might as well just look at the video on your computer yourself but it shouldn't be something to concern yourself with. You should instead just try to make good videos you'd want to watch yourself. Even if that's not what youtube wants to see. Certain types of LPs are more popular on different platforms, like here on SA or other LP forums anyway. (be careful here, a lot are crap. I'm from LPF which is good for getting feedback and all that jazz.)

Oh aye, I wasn't really referring to myself with that though, I just kinda miss seeing some variety in the recommended results since now for me it's always cluttered with the same five Minecraft people over and over. I don't really remember saying anything about my subs or views specifically because I honestly don't care about those numbers, since they are pretty overblown anyway.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
I know I'm late to the Youtube ad discussion we've had but I got this "ad" today:

This isn't even an ad; it's an entire LP episode longer than the video I'm about to watch! Shouldn't ads be trailers for other channels rather than entire episodes of other channels' LP:s?

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Samiz posted:

I know I'm late to the Youtube ad discussion we've had but I got this "ad" today:

This isn't even an ad; it's an entire LP episode longer than the video I'm about to watch! Shouldn't ads be trailers for other channels rather than entire episodes of other channels' LP:s?
I get those kinda ads every now and then as well. Surprisingly, some of them are actually locally made in my area, with one of them reaching 30 goddamn minutes! It's as if the people who make these imagine that every viewer thinks "I want to watch a video by [Channel Name], but I don't want to watch it now. I think I want to see it half an hour from now."

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I really think they should have a time limit on videos for ads. if your video is say over 5 mins, it is ineligible to be used as an ad.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

mateo360 posted:

I really think they should have a time limit on videos for ads. if your video is say over 5 mins, it is ineligible to be used as an ad.

See, that's where I can't tell if it's an ad or that FanFinder thing I was talking about. It might've been some dumb user not realizing exactly what it entailed.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Eligible or not, videos that long are skippable so that's just what people are going to do. What's bizarre isn't so much that you can do it, it's that someone decided it would be a good idea to do it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Eligible or not, videos that long are skippable so that's just what people are going to do. What's bizarre isn't so much that you can do it, it's that someone decided it would be a good idea to do it.

Actually Google reports that skippable ads are more engaging than unskippable ones. I guess it makes sense in a weird way: you get that "subconscious" recognition of the product without the negative consequence of being annoyed by the ad.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I suppose that makes sense for products you might have encountered in other contexts. I'm not so sure on the "30 minute Let's Play as interstitial ad" thing, though...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I suppose that makes sense for products you might have encountered in other contexts. I'm not so sure on the "30 minute Let's Play as interstitial ad" thing, though...

I meant skippable ads in general Super long ads, yeah, I think that's just dumb on the advertiser's part.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I figure if you're gonna try to put a video of yours out as an ad (assuming you're a Let's Player) then just do a highlight/comedy reel or something easy that would actually make people want to see your lovely videos. Not a loving 20 minute video. No one wants to see that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

I figure if you're gonna try to put a video of yours out as an ad (assuming you're a Let's Player) then just do a highlight/comedy reel or something easy that would actually make people want to see your lovely videos. Not a loving 20 minute video. No one wants to see that.

And I've seen LPers do those, though never anything really appealing. So many of the bigger name LPers are practically clones of each other.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

And I've seen LPers do those, though never anything really appealing. So many of the bigger name LPers are practically clones of each other.

Nah man, there's a lot of individuality and intricacy. For example, DSP's fakey death shrieks are a slightly different pitch from DC's.

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013
This just in, JonTron calls someone else retarded and the internet is a shitstorm because there's literally nothing else anyone could be doing right now other than trying to tell someone else to not use the word retarded. It is currently the best use of everyones time and I refuse to believe otherwise.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

KamenZero posted:

This just in, JonTron calls someone else retarded and the internet is a shitstorm because there's literally nothing else anyone could be doing right now other than trying to tell someone else to not use the word retarded. It is currently the best use of everyones time and I refuse to believe otherwise.

No, the issue is that the dude was a jackass about it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I like the idea people have that when you take offense to something you stop everything and all you do is crusade instead of just taking five minutes to call out bullshit.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

KamenZero posted:

Defending an internet celebrity's right to use offensive language is a much bigger waste of time.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Maltose posted:

I like the idea people have that when you take offense to something you stop everything and all you do is crusade instead of just taking five minutes to call out bullshit.
Yeah, same.

(this post took about a minute that I used to type instead of helping darfurian war orphans.)

((I was never going to help darfurian war orphans.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, same.

(this post took about a minute that I used to type instead of helping darfurian war orphans.)

((I was never going to help darfurian war orphans.)

Look if you're not tackling the biggest problems plaguing mankind don't even bother loving around with anything, okay.

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

Saith posted:

Defending an internet celebrity's right to use offensive language is a much bigger waste of time.

I'm not defending it, I'm just.. Like, I think he should apologize, but at this point it's obvious he's not, so, it seems like it would be more productive to just kind of.. walk away and watch someone else instead.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Just walk away, and there will be an end to all the live streams. Just walk away, and I promise you safe passage through the internet."

-xXLORD_HUMUNGUS_420Xx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The thing about internet shitstorms is that it's basically a thousand people taking a minute to call someone a bad name. Hell, it gets so repetitive because nobody bothers to read anyone else's comments.

• Locked thread