Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

You're hosed. As soon as you use that lens you're gonna convince yourself it's worth the $$

I've realized this. I'm hoping my girlfriend will intervene and keep me from making poor choices. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

NeuralSpark posted:

I've realized this. I'm hoping my girlfriend will intervene and keep me from making poor choices. :saddowns:

She's dating you. How sound can her judgment be? :v:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Almost any photographic equipment can pass the wife/girlfriend test if you use it to take really nice photos of them.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

Almost any photographic equipment can pass the wife/girlfriend test if you use it to take really nice photos of them.

Or of your kids. They eat that up too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

HPL posted:

Sadly my wife can't really tell the difference between good and bad photography, so this doesn't work :smith:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

triplexpac posted:

Sadly my wife can't really tell the difference between good and bad photography, so this doesn't work :smith:

This probably actually works out in your favor.:v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Yall need to take the red pill and tell your women to suck yo dilz and spend money erryday :420:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As I've gotten better, my wife has gone from "That thing costs HOW much?" mode to "You do what you think is best" mode, mostly because of pictures of our kid. Oddly, that kind of freedom somehow causes me to spend even less money.

I ... think my wife might be smarter than me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
hello wife i spent our vacation money on camera stuff because what is the point of taking a vacation if it is not able to be documented using the latest expensive photogear

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

hello wife i spent our vacation money on camera stuff because what is the point of taking a vacation if it is not able to be documented using the latest expensive photogear

Yes, but what is the resale value of a beach trip, huh?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Dren posted:

hahahaah if you dont have disposable income. but really, photography is expensive.

im an orange
Jun 24, 2005
As previously recommended in this thread, I am planning to purchase a used 70-300 mm Tamron for my Nikon D3200. I'm interested in taking pictures of the pigeons in this great city of New York. Also am interested in photographing random things throughout NYC though I'm guessing the 70-300 mm may not be good for this.

I'm curious though, besides birds, what is the 70-300 mm lens good for?

Perhaps there is another lens I should purchase instead

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
70-300mm is a lovely walkaround length, but it's good for portraits or decently lit sports. It's not a great bird length unless you can get decently close either, unless you pair it with a 1.5x teleconverter. If you're interested in birds on a budget it could work well enough, though you will be fighting noise once you get home.

edit: VV I thought I typed that here, oops. Pidgeons are slow and hard to scare so it'll work fine for them, just if you're interested in easier scared birds you'll be wanting the length from something bigger.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 31, 2014

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

70-300mm is a lovely walkaround length, but it's good for portraits or decently lit sports. It's not a great bird length unless you can get decently close either, unless you pair it with a 1.5x teleconverter. If you're interested in birds on a budget it could work well enough, though you will be fighting noise once you get home.

I don't know much about the lens, but he isn't trying to shoot some elusive wild animals, but NYC pigeons. I have taken close ups of those damned birds with my 50mm. Considering he is using a crop sensor, I don't see why 300mm on the long end would not be enough.

But if he wants to get into hardcore birding, I have no idea whats necessary.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten a lot of use of my 70-300 on domesticated birds. You can shove it pretty much up a duck's nose at the park, if you want. But shooting anything soaring, or up high, you're just going to get a black smudge.

Also, it's definitely the kind of lens you only take out with a specific purpose in mind. I've taken it on a few walks "just in case" and you end up regretting it. Mostly because you only see cool poo poo when you don't have a camera.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I bought the Tamron 70-300 to cover a bike polo game, I was really happy with it.

http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2014/06/21/ladies-army-6-international-bike-polo-tournament-is-in-toronto-now/

That's the only time I used it though, since I generally do portrait photography and find my 50mm a bit easier to lug around.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

im an orange posted:

As previously recommended in this thread, I am planning to purchase a used 70-300 mm Tamron for my Nikon D3200. I'm interested in taking pictures of the pigeons in this great city of New York. Also am interested in photographing random things throughout NYC though I'm guessing the 70-300 mm may not be good for this.

I'm curious though, besides birds, what is the 70-300 mm lens good for?

Perhaps there is another lens I should purchase instead

It's a great lens for general wildlife.

e: And tele-landscapes.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 31, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
70-300mm on a crop sensor is a fine focal length range for lots of things - mostly things you want to get closer to but can't for whatever reason. Besides birds and general wildlife (NYC has many squirrels, doesn't it?) it's a really good range for tele-landscapes / tele-architecture, which NYC is ideal for.

Take pictures of buildings, is what I'm saying. That single occupied / non-curtained window in a big office building; just the top of the big tall tower; the line of doormen standing in front of their buildings down a long block; weird stuff on a balcony; etc. etc. etc. endlessly.

My walk-out-the-door-with-camera kit currently is my kit-zoom (18-55), my Sigma 100-300/darkness, and my 105mm macro (for when everything else fails, there are always bugs & flowers in the summer). I use all three lenses pretty regularly.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

Besides birds and general wildlife (NYC has many squirrels, doesn't it?)

Well, it DID.

Seriously though yeah, 70-300 is nice on crop and if you're outside the shameful aperture shouldn't bother you too much. I never found it an issue.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Musket posted:

Here is a solution. Rent them all. You forget the resale value of lenses is better than the resale value of bodies. You may throw 2200bux today, but in 4 years you can probably get 1800ish. Do not expect the tammy/sigma to retain value in the same manner.

Or buy it used and resell in five years for what you paid like a not retard.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

It's a great lens for general wildlife.

e: And tele-landscapes.

I pretty much never took off my 70-300 when I was on vacation in Iceland. It was great for long shots of mountains and glaciers, and I got some good (but admittedly non-pro looking) shots of birds.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I'm thinking about selling my barely used Nikon 105mm 2.8 micro VR, but am not sure of the best way to do so. I did think about amazon or eBay but since I'd be a first time seller of an expensive item I don't know how easy that is. I was also considering Craigslist. Does anyone have any advice about selling lenses? I didn't want to post in the gear selling thread as that seemed to be for people who were selling on SA and not asking for advice. I'm in the UK and that thread seems to be mainly for Americans.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 2, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Lady Gaza posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I'm thinking about selling my barely used Nikon 105mm 2.8 micro VR, but am not sure of the best way to do so. I did think about amazon or eBay but since I'd be a first time seller of an expensive item I don't know how easy that is. I was also considering Craigslist. Does anyone have any advice about selling lenses? I didn't want to post in the gear selling thread as that seemed to be for people who were selling on SA and not asking for advice. I'm in the UK and that thread seems to be mainly for Americans.

It's not like it hurts to try, at least not if you put your drat username in the picture.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
SoundMonkey's a little sensitve regarding the buy/sell thread, seems like every day he has to wrack his brain to create an "I'm an idiot" edit of various posters clumsy attempts to sell things without a username visible in the pictures. From what the grapevine has told me, shortbus is more mellow these days and provides fewer acerbic responses.

It costs nothing to throw it up in the Buy/Sell thread and while it's true SA is generally dominated by Yanquis, there are plenty of Brits and lots of others who might be willing to pay the shipping cost. At the very least you'll get some feedback on the price you're asking and the condition of the lens (and how well you've described that condition).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

SoundMonkey's a little sensitve regarding the buy/sell thread, seems like every day he has to wrack his brain to create an "I'm an idiot" edit of various posters clumsy attempts to sell things without a username visible in the pictures. From what the grapevine has told me, shortbus is more mellow these days and provides fewer acerbic responses.

Haha, actually vandalizing no-username posts is creative & fun and probably the least tedious thing I get to do modding Dorkroom.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SoundMonkey posted:

Haha, actually vandalizing no-username posts is creative & fun and probably the least tedious thing I get to do modding Dorkroom.

Yeah, that reminds me. I keep meaning to ask this question.

Has anyone ever changed their username to match the writing on the lens/camera? (Example: username "Nikon 105mm 2.8" for this lens.)
If so, would you let it fly?

I imagine no one would be this crazy, having to spend money to maybe sell a thing... But I am curious...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

No Gravitas posted:

Yeah, that reminds me. I keep meaning to ask this question.

Has anyone ever changed their username to match the writing on the lens/camera? (Example: username "Nikon 105mm 2.8" for this lens.)
If so, would you let it fly?

I imagine no one would be this crazy, having to spend money to maybe sell a thing... But I am curious...

No, but two cases come to mind, someone reported Star War Sex Parrot for no-username so I just mspainted his username into the picture (I mean he mods SA-Mart, I'm pretty sure you can trust him not to screw you over), and the person got all pissy about it.

The other is when I page-snyped by changing 8th-samurai's name to 8th-snype in an emptyquote, which he didn't notice, called out my snype for being shameful, had it pointed out to him, then changed his username to 8th-snype for like six months so it would still look like a shameful snype.

Ah, forums.

edit: wait, that's STILL his username? holy poo poo that's a long gimmick.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 2, 2014

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

If I did put it in the thread I would post my username in the pic, don't worry :) the reason I haven't is because the SA mart rules say not to make posts to gauge interest. I'm just looking to find out more about the best way to sell a lens, it doesn't have to be on here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lady Gaza posted:

Ebay is pretty easy for lenses and seems to generate a lot of interest. The only downside is the cost: what with both ebay and paypal taking their cut.

I don't think people care too much if you have a strong buyer history, but not a strong selling one. Just make the effort with the description and photos.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

edit: wait, that's STILL his username? holy poo poo that's a long gimmick.

Go big or go home

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone listen to any podcasts about photography? Is that even a thing? I checked out a podcast that was typically about an hour long and the first ten minutes, at least, of the podcast, they rambled on about nothing really relevant to photography in my opinion. The podcast in question was This Week In Photography. Should I try again and check out another episode?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I have a bunch of these, way better than a podcast:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

deaders posted:

I have a bunch of these, way better than a podcast:

:thumbsup: Do they convert each picture to 1,000 words?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

huhu posted:

Does anyone listen to any podcasts about photography? Is that even a thing? I checked out a podcast that was typically about an hour long and the first ten minutes, at least, of the podcast, they rambled on about nothing really relevant to photography in my opinion. The podcast in question was This Week In Photography. Should I try again and check out another episode?

I listen to On Taking Pictures, http://5by5.tv/otp. It's not gear or technique oriented though so if that's what you are looking for don't bother.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-snype posted:

I listen to On Taking Pictures, http://5by5.tv/otp. It's not gear or technique oriented though so if that's what you are looking for don't bother.

They're very much worth listening to, I have a backlog of eps but I can't listen to more than one a week, due to Bill's complete self absorption and his scoffing at anything analog.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

huhu posted:

:thumbsup: Do they convert each picture to 1,000 words?

nope they just read the essays at the start/finish and the captions.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

They're very much worth listening to, I have a backlog of eps but I can't listen to more than one a week, due to Bill's complete self absorption and his scoffing at anything analog.

Bill isn't too bad the more you listen. He definitely has that "digital era" pro outlook in regards to film. Lots of dudes don't get why I'd rather use Portra than PS to set my color palette, I just shake my head and sigh.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think on some episodes he's far more scathing than others, like recently he's been making a portrait background and realising its fun to things in an analog way, but still doesn't put the two ideas together when it comes to making an image and why some people prefer film. Having said that, he asks great questions and provides good answers, and they are definitely a part of my podcast schedule.

Jeffrey's recent meltdown was pretty interesting/alarming.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

I think on some episodes he's far more scathing than others, like recently he's been making a portrait background and realising its fun to things in an analog way, but still doesn't put the two ideas together when it comes to making an image and why some people prefer film. Having said that, he asks great questions and provides good answers, and they are definitely a part of my podcast schedule.

Jeffrey's recent meltdown was pretty interesting/alarming.

The OTP G+ group is also literally the only reason to use G+. It's not as good as a community as we have here (I can't believe I just said something nice about you fucks) but it's not straight up terrible like most places photographers congregate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Same here for G+, I only have a look at the group every now and then, and sometimes post alt process stuff. At one point I was getting a little sick of this one lady posting heaps of lovely street photos (tautology?) though.