Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Azubah posted:

I really want to see his character sheet.

Funny thing about his stats comes about when Sinon asks what type of character he is and he says he is a Strength-Agility type. SAO only had Strength and Agility, so of course he lucked the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't most MMO players know about Kirito by this point? Wasn't the SAO thing like a major news event and something most gamers and would be aware about?

Edit: Totally called the Laughing Coffin poo poo. I suppose this is the leader of the guild? Interesting how he managed to sneak up on a guy who could hear a dude combat crawling like 50 yards away. I suppose he has a silent walking skill from SAO?

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 4, 2014

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Calling it now, the registration for BoB is how they're tracking down the victims in the real world.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

YouTuber posted:

Wouldn't most MMO players know about Kirito by this point? Wasn't the SAO thing like a major news event and something most gamers and would be aware about?

They know about the SAO incident, but they don't know the details of what happened inside it. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, they were just stuck in comas for a couple of years. No one really thinks of it as something that had a hero or anything.

Apparently someone eventually wrote a book about Kirito, but they changed the names to protect people's identities.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Azubah posted:

Calling it now, the registration for BoB is how they're tracking down the victims in the real world.

Kirito hitting Y when Sinon started walking over, leaving his personal information blank, is now a plot point. Fantastic writing right there :downs:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Kirito hitting Y when Sinon started walking over, leaving his personal information blank, is now a plot point. Fantastic writing right there :downs:

He was visibly hesitant to enter the info in anyway. As tempted by the prize as he was, if it wasn't an IRL one he would lose it as soon as he transfers back to ALO.
At least stuff's finally happening in the anime though, but there's only about 4-5 episodes' worth of content left of this arc so they might have to slam on the breaks again to make it last for 12 episodes.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Clarste posted:

They know about the SAO incident, but they don't know the details of what happened inside it. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, they were just stuck in comas for a couple of years. No one really thinks of it as something that had a hero or anything.

Apparently someone eventually wrote a book about Kirito, but they changed the names to protect people's identities.

You'd think the SAO survivors would be rushing to print their tell-all exposes of what went down in Aincrad before anyone else could. The gamers would obviously lap that poo poo up, but I figure pretty much everyone would be interested in what happened during the largest kidnapping/murder spree ever.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

They made a big deal about the dubious real money economy. You have to assume, therefore, that the prize for BoB includes a pile of real cash. Hence almost no one would skip putting in their RL info, since doing so would invalidate your ability to score the cash. Likely only Kirito and Death Gun left those spaces blank.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shyrka posted:

You'd think the SAO survivors would be rushing to print their tell-all exposes of what went down in Aincrad before anyone else could. The gamers would obviously lap that poo poo up, but I figure pretty much everyone would be interested in what happened during the largest kidnapping/murder spree ever.

...No they wouldn't. Most of them likely want to put it as far behind them and forget it as much as possible. For a real world example, exactly how many hostages of the Iranian hostage crisis were rushing to discuss their story with the press as soon as they were released? Hell, more than a few of the survivors likely have PTSD - for any number of reasons.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That and there's always an element of SAO pk'ers getting details and "finishing the the job" never mind families of casualties.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shyrka posted:

This really does kinda bug me every time I think about it. Even if most players didn't want to say a drat thing about it, you have to assume at least a couple of people would come out of the game and think to sell the tale, if only because two years in a videogame isn't exactly good work experience.

If nothing else it continues to shock me that almost no one recognizes Kirito by name. I could kinda/not really buy his sister not knowing because she didn't seem very bright to begin with and probably didn't want to ask too many questions about SAO, particularly if he didn't tell, but it seems impossible that the name of the guy who saved something like 6,000 people by clearing the game wouldn't be widely known among MMO players, if not the world at large.

Lord Koth posted:

...No they wouldn't. Most of them likely want to put it as far behind them and forget it as much as possible. For a real world example, exactly how many hostages of the Iranian hostage crisis were rushing to discuss their story with the press as soon as they were released? Hell, more than a few of the survivors likely have PTSD - for any number of reasons.

The survivors had a ticker tape parade through New York City when they arrived back in the states, and roughly a quarter of them did some form of national news interview for which they were paid. Also, unlike the hostage crisis there seemed to be a decent number of people who didn't absolutely hate Aincrad, the old man in the fishing episode as just one example.

Caros fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 4, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Caros posted:

This really does kinda bug me every time I think about it. Even if most players didn't want to say a drat thing about it, you have to assume at least a couple of people would come out of the game and think to sell the tale, if only because two years in a videogame isn't exactly good work experience.

If nothing else it continues to shock me that almost no one recognizes Kirito by name. I could kinda/not really buy his sister not knowing because she didn't seem very bright to begin with and probably didn't want to ask too many questions about SAO, particularly if he didn't tell, but it seems impossible that the name of the guy who saved something like 6,000 people by clearing the game wouldn't be widely known among MMO players, if not the world at large.

The survivors had a ticker tape parade through New York City when they arrived back in the states, and roughly a quarter of them did some form of national news interview for which they were paid. Also, unlike the hostage crisis there seemed to be a decent number of people who didn't absolutely hate Aincrad, the old man in the fishing episode as just one example.

Considering skeevy government guys involvement, the special school they set up for the survivors, the medical treatment and facilities running over the course of those three years, and how damaging some of the darker details coming out would be to the major corps behind this technology, I kinda figure the survivors ended up in pretty ridiculous NDAs or something along those lines and have probably been hushed up. Consider a game like GGO with the real money attribute, not to mention the dozens of other games that sprung up after the fact, and the nervgear and all as well; there's obviously ridiculous amounts of money to be made there and being made, and the people at the top are going to protect that. Allowing leaks about how people got trapped in the game thanks to it's designer and were murdered virtually which resulted in them dying in real life would have absolutely insane backlash.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also, the players know of a Kirito, but they don't know his real name. The only reason Kirito found Asuna was because that government guy gave her information.

The only people who know that Kazuto is Kirito are his group of friends/cousin.

That's also why, the Death Gun guy was asking "Are you the real one" when referring to Kirito, wondering if this character was just someone trading on the Kirito Name or the actual Kirito.

Plus, Very few people know what happened at the end of SAO anyway. Unless they were in the final Battle, the players who stuck to towns and away from the game clearing raid groups probably don't know any more than what the government released.

All they know of is rumors that probably got circulated.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And rumors mutate astonishingly fast. Half of them probably say Heathcliff was the one who defeated the final boss.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Shyrka posted:

Actually one of the ALO side stories mentions about this, it's the one involving Silica. Apparently the vast majority of the players just stayed in the starting town and never left it so the whole thing was a terrible ordeal of waiting for them. So of course they would rather have forgotten about that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watched the full episode. I'll never get tired of Kirito dorking around. If his whole Lupin voice thing becomes a regular comic staple that'd be great.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Even if Kirito was famous, that would just mean there would be tons of imitators or people who want to use his name a la Goku.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let us please not put Kirito as low as Goku, he is far above such childishness.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dessel posted:

^
| Pfft, proper binaural processing (sound card/in-game) with actual honest-to-good stereo headphones is better than any "surround sound" headset. :colbert: (I think I've seen reasoning for this like how it's impossible to reproduce a proper spatial environment for surround sound within the enclosed space of a headphone or something).

I got surround sound headphones and lower center and front and turn up sides by 50% and rear by 75%.

I can hear behind me better than in front.

I'm glad the story is underway and the laughing coffin reveal was pretty good.

If this was a real mmog that first opponent would be posting how op energy swords are on the boards

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 5, 2014

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Zettace posted:

Even if Kirito was famous, that would just mean there would be tons of imitators or people who want to use his name a la Goku.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Those seem to be heavily lacking in numbers and extremely cool letters, though at least they capture the darkness of MMO names quite well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Sadly, most MMOs don't allow numbers or symbols in names these days.

EDIT: 215 Kiritos in WoW, out of about 255 servers. Lower than I thought it would be.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 5, 2014

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

EDIT: 215 Kiritos in WoW, out of about 255 servers. Lower than I thought it would be.

That's probably just because its western and doesn't get the Japanese audience. There's some image showing like 1200 of them in the latest Dragon Quest or something.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Kirito needs to score a Dorito's sponsorship. I imagine him shouting "snack strong!" while gutting fools would earn him some cash.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

For whatever reasons, the light novel is pretty clear that Kirito and others were super secretive about their involvement with SAO. They basically never told anyone outside of family, close friends, and those they knew from SAO itself.

Likewise, as we'll soon see in the upcoming episodes, there are other reasons Kirito kept this a secret. (Barely a LN spoiler)Dark things did happen in SAO -- better left forgotten.

Regarding Asuna, she was one of the very few players that used her real name. In SAO, after they were married and had been together a while, they told each other their real names so they could find each other after the game ended. Kirito did get help finding her, but note how lots of them are together in RL now too. The weird thing is they had fake names but real faces. So, it's quite possible to recognize someone from SAO but not know their real name.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Sindai posted:

Add another 223 for Europe, out of ~270 servers. Given that names are unique per-server, the servers that don't have a Kirito are probably the ghost towns that've been abandoned by most of their population.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Caros posted:

There is literally a school for VR-imprisoned youth in the novels to help fast-track people through the years of schooling they missed, or in the case of older people like Klein, give them a brief heads-up on what's significantly changed in the real world.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

HiveCommander posted:

There is literally a school for VR-imprisoned youth in the novels to help fast-track people through the years of schooling they missed, or in the case of older people like Klein, give them a brief heads-up on what's significantly changed in the real world.

That was in the anime, too, though I guess they didn't go into that much detail on it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

XboxPants posted:

That was in the anime, too, though I guess they didn't go into that much detail on it.

Oh right, I completely forgot it was mentioned so I spoilered it anyway. The lack of detail explains why I didn't remember it

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I just caught up on episodes on hulu, does anyone know the day new episodes are added each week?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hardawn posted:

I just caught up on episodes on hulu, does anyone know the day new episodes are added each week?

Sundays. I have no idea what time on sunday however.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Crunchyroll says Saturdays at 11:30. Might be different in the US.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Don't forget that only about 20 or so people were there for the final battle. Outside of that room, nobody would know how the game was cleared. Anyway, this is another of those things that gets covered in the light novels yet gets skipped over by the anime. I would like to rant about some of those things, but I'll wait until the season is done.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, I guess they skipped the PK hunt in the first series so they could flashback to it here.

Also the most unrealistic thing so far is that half the players aren't wearing Death Gun's rad skull mask. You know everyone would be all over that thing.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't drag the qualifier battles into five separate episodes or something lazy like that. I haven't read the light novels (are there any decent translations? I'm new to this) but I'm hoping the main tournament won't last long either and I'll get to see more sides of GAO..

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yen Press has the license for the SAO LNs, and I hear they're pretty good. They're way behind the BT translations of course, but those are not exactly what I'd call quality.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Yen Press has the license for the SAO LNs, and I hear they're pretty good. They're way behind the BT translations of course, but those are not exactly what I'd call quality.

How fast are they planning on putting them out? I hardly mind buying official versions, but the fan translations on the new round of licenses like SAO, AW, and Index were so far along it seems like they'd never manage to catch up to the Japanese novels.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Bakanogami posted:

How fast are they planning on putting them out? I hardly mind buying official versions, but the fan translations on the new round of licenses like SAO, AW, and Index were so far along it seems like they'd never manage to catch up to the Japanese novels.

3 novels a year (every April/August/December). Progressive v1 is also being released this upcoming April. Index will have 4 novels a year to catch up.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ultimatemegax posted:

3 novels a year (every April/August/December). Progressive v1 is also being released this upcoming April. Index will have 4 novels a year to catch up.

So it'll be 4 years till I get to read more SAO, and even longer to catch up to where the JP releases will be at that point. Assuming Yen Press even still exists in 4 years, at the rate anime localization companies are dying these days. Hooray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Bakanogami posted:

So it'll be 4 years till I get to read more SAO, and even longer to catch up to where the JP releases will be at that point. Assuming Yen Press even still exists in 4 years, at the rate anime localization companies are dying these days. Hooray.

You could learn Japanese. 4 years should be enough to slowly get through light novels. It's how I finally got to read Please Save My Earth!

• Locked thread