Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Genocyber posted:

Yes, dagger is better.
Manikin knife looks better so that one it is. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
For straight combat with a dagger - if it absolutely comes down to that - Mundane would be best, right? Going to be packing a rapier/mace/dagger combination buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I infused my ladle as mundane and it broke and still does 120 damage. Mundane op

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

For straight combat with a dagger - if it absolutely comes down to that - Mundane would be best, right? Going to be packing a rapier/mace/dagger combination buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Not unless your lowest stat is at least 20 or so. Otherwise normal is better.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
So I made a big mistake with my second character. I'm powerstancing maces right now and enjoying it but I tried to kill Licia. Unfortunately, she wipes the floor with me. Now, I can't progress the game. I just finished Lost Bastille and Sinner's rise but gave up on Belfry Sol ( i just can't pvp, i don't get it).

Any tips on how to take out Licia so I can continue playing?

EDIT: VVVV thank you both. Once I started using a shield it was cake.

nohopeindope fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 3, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

nohopeindope posted:

So I made a big mistake with my second character. I'm powerstancing maces right now and enjoying it but I tried to kill Licia. Unfortunately, she wipes the floor with me. Now, I can't progress the game. I just finished Lost Bastille and Sinner's rise but gave up on Belfry Sol ( i just can't pvp, i don't get it).

Slam your dick in a sliding glass door 40-50 times and then luck out and manage to kill her. Worked for me, that fight was some horseshit.

Or just cheese her, whatever your favorite flavor of cheese happens to be as long as it keeps her from healing half her loving health back in a quarter second.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

nohopeindope posted:

Get a shield, block her poo poo, backstab her into tiny pieces.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

Get a shield, block her poo poo, backstab her into tiny pieces.
+1
her WoG is physical instead of whatever it is normally so you'll definitely be able to block it with whatever awful shields you have right now.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hey guys I need some tips. I love Dark Souls but I only feel like I understand how to play it as a big tank heavy strength weapon kinda build. I want to start a new character and work my way through the game again so I can play the DLC but I'd like to use a new build. I was thinking about a 2h dex type build but heard dex wasn't really all that great in this game. I thought I might try a hex build or something but I really have no idea where to start, how to allocate my points, what sort of weapons to use, and just generally how to play that way.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Timett posted:

Hey guys I need some tips. I love Dark Souls but I only feel like I understand how to play it as a big tank heavy strength weapon kinda build. I want to start a new character and work my way through the game again so I can play the DLC but I'd like to use a new build. I was thinking about a 2h dex type build but heard dex wasn't really all that great in this game. I thought I might try a hex build or something but I really have no idea where to start, how to allocate my points, what sort of weapons to use, and just generally how to play that way.

DEX is still okay once you understand that you're giving up some of the damage from STR weapons for increased versatility and variety. Hex builds involve pumping INT FTH and ATN to about 40, and that's about it. Make sure you go to Huntsman's Copse once you have 20/20 FTH/INT to get some of the best Hex gear in the early game.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timett posted:

I might try a hex build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00g2ZbI3ung

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you have 13 strength you can two hand the Large Club and use it to smash Licia over and over because there's enough time to both get all your stamina back and smash her again before she gets up. You just have to hit her the first time and then you've basically won.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Timett posted:

Dex weapons are good, the scaling isn't. That means all the weapons are fine as long as you only get enough for the requirements, then just toss the rest of your points into vigor/endurance/adaptability or spells

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The best way to fight Licia is strip down, equip a 100% Phys shield, and a dagger, and very slowly stab her to death. Your stamina will regenerate faster than her attack animations, so you can safely and grimly shank her in the rotunda without any problems (other than, presumably, an aching arm).

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
uh
you can be invaded in the room between the bosses in the dlc
what

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Bogart posted:

The best way to fight Licia is strip down, equip a 100% Phys shield, and a dagger, and very slowly stab her to death. Your stamina will regenerate faster than her attack animations, so you can safely and grimly shank her in the rotunda without any problems (other than, presumably, an aching arm).

I used the moth set and a pair of +10 cestus, one of them poison enchanted. I basically just pummeled her until the poison set, switch to the other cestus, then repeated. It seemed to take her down well enough. I'm not sure if I was getting any benefit from the moth set really, and also, I am really, really, really bad at this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE PENETRATOR posted:

uh
what

Welcome to Thunderdome.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That lightning spear-to-affinity fakeout spell look hilarious. Dark Souls continues to secretly be the best comedy game series.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Invulnerable ambulatory poison-spitting statues, fighting ghosts on floors of spikes, damage sponge enemies; when do I actually get to enjoy the DLC? :qq:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I don't know if all those cast animations are going to be 1:1, since a couple of them look weird, the lightning spear -> affinity thing especially. Since these people are taking the new spells and popping them onto old spells, I wouldn't be surprised if those animations are being carried over to the new spells.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

That lightning spear-to-affinity fakeout spell look hilarious. Dark Souls continues to secretly be the best comedy game series.

I think the casting animation is a byproduct of however they're hacking the game to be able to use those spells.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What do I have to input in cheat engine to get the monk-fu, because I want it right now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

argondamn posted:

I think the casting animation is a byproduct of however they're hacking the game to be able to use those spells.
A man can dream.

But looking at the .webms again, none of the other ones leap out as mismatched casting animations.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

AgentJR posted:

Invulnerable ambulatory poison-spitting statues, fighting ghosts on floors of spikes, damage sponge enemies; when do I actually get to enjoy the DLC? :qq:

The statue turtles aren't invulnerable, you can either shoot their turtley bits (at the bottom) with a bow and arrow or use heavy melee downswing attacks to do the same.
Those ghosts stop being ghosts if you attack their corpses.
Try stabbing in the back.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THE PENETRATOR posted:

uh
what

There's two invasion areas in the dlc: that tiny room, and every single other part of the dlc together (have fun finding the host!)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The best part of that room is that you can have a little NPC ganksquad that will even heal itself between fights.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I've tried to invade there a whole bunch, and I always "lose sight of world master" before I can actually get through. :(

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

uh
what

Fun fact: in Dark Souls 1 you could be invaded in the hallway leading up to the Sanctuary Guardian.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nahxela posted:

I don't know if all those cast animations are going to be 1:1, since a couple of them look weird, the lightning spear -> affinity thing especially. Since these people are taking the new spells and popping them onto old spells, I wouldn't be surprised if those animations are being carried over to the new spells.

Correct. They're just transferring projectiles right now I imagine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

uh
what

Probably a mistake, but it's not like it matters since you can just waltz through the fog door to the boss before they even spawn in.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

argondamn posted:

The best part of that room is that you can have a little NPC ganksquad that will even heal itself between fights.

I really should've exploited this to finally max out my bluebro rank, not that I'm a sperglord and a monster or anything

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One of these days I want to get invaded right by a fog gate, just so I can wave to the invader and then swan through the gate and waste their cracked red eye orb :owned:

I think there's an invasion entry point right in the Baneful Queen's approach corridor, so if you see your summon sign disappear (or soapstone grey out, w/e) then you can time it just right and wave to them as they're doing their materialise animation. Then they have two seconds to stagger you as you enter the door.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

One of these days I want to get invaded right by a fog gate, just so I can wave to the invader and then swan through the gate and waste their cracked red eye orb :owned:

I had this happen right before Covetous Demon so I dropped them 3 red eye orbs before I left. When I came back they had dropped 3 human effigies :3:

But for some reason the red eye orbs didn't disappear from the ground even though I clearly saw them pick them up.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I had this happen right before Covetous Demon so I dropped them 3 red eye orbs before I left. When I came back they had dropped 3 human effigies :3:

But for some reason the red eye orbs didn't disappear from the ground even though I clearly saw them pick them up.

Maybe he had 97 or more orbs already and couldn't carry them.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

This is very doable in the Belfry Luna once you've cleared out the enemies so they don't respawn.

See them pop up, throw down a 'hello' wood carving and walk through the gate.

It's pretty dickish and hilarious because you know they have to spend all that time loading/connecting.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I occasionally wave to blues as I step through the Cathedral fog gate, making them waste their orb. I'm a monster wretch.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can also invade in the Throne of Want

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can even summon people in the castle after killing the Dragonriders and Looking Glass Knight but before you get the King's Ring. You'd think they'd count it as a separate area.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

I think there's an invasion entry point right in the Baneful Queen's approach corridor, so if you see your summon sign disappear (or soapstone grey out, w/e) then you can time it just right and wave to them as they're doing their materialise animation. Then they have two seconds to stagger you as you enter the door.

I once shot a guy with a Alonne Greatbow right after he entered the OIK boss fight. He was even waving at me. If you're at the edge of the roof where you spawn in as an invader you have an angle to shoot the invader.

I like to believe he fell into the lava after I shot him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I haven't been invading anyone since I've been trying to get 30 medals for Sunlight Spear but for some reason I keep getting more and more sin. Is there really no way other than 1) invading as red 2) killing NPCs? The Lost Sinner's sword keeps getting worse and worse and I'm not even doing anything.

Tetracube posted:

You can also invade in the Throne of Want

seems like a pretty cool place to fight.