Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The thought that Top Gear doesnt do power laps for cars "tuned" for it's track is rubbish. McLaren did it, it's on the board. ALL car companies send out "hot" cars to journos and all of them are tailored for the conditions they let journos out in.

If you want proof of the tuning for power laps, look at the support staff most of the cars that get out there come with. They don't just tow the car out there and throw the keys at The Stig - it's transported with a team of techs ready to work and tune. And as for frowned on - if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

The thought that Top Gear doesnt do power laps for cars "tuned" for it's track is rubbish. McLaren did it, it's on the board. ALL car companies send out "hot" cars to journos and all of them are tailored for the conditions they let journos out in.

If you want proof of the tuning for power laps, look at the support staff most of the cars that get out there come with. They don't just tow the car out there and throw the keys at The Stig - it's transported with a team of techs ready to work and tune. And as for frowned on - if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya.
I think maybe the difference is that I get the distinct impression that Ferrari always want the car specifically set up for the given track and type of testing being done, and are utter dicks about it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cat Terrist posted:

The article I linked to mentioned putting stickier tires on their cars, of course car companies do their best to make sure they have every advantage possible, but the impression I got when trying to look up something only tangentially related is that Ferrari are over the top about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the LaFerrari that Top Gear get is from Chris Evans* and not the factory.

*I only name him because his LaFerrari has already been to the test track, could be anyone of course.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I think maybe the difference is that I get the distinct impression that Ferrari always want the car specifically set up for the given track and type of testing being done, and are utter dicks about it.

I'd be very surprised if it was more than anyone else. Car companies by the whole are dicks when it comes to the press and any hint of a actual fair review - the more expensive and exotic, the more dickish the company is. You basically bend over to them or you don't get access to cars, you don't say nasty things or they pull advertising to your publication. Much of what is said about traditional publications - and now increasingly Internet publications - being balls deep with car companies is 100% true because if you don't have access to cars or you don't get advertising? You starve. Even TG with it's media muscle isn't immune.

You want to be at the media junkets and get "EXCLUSIVE SCOOPS!!!!"? You want industry access? Well I hope you feel okay in typing utter hyperbolic dribble about Deathtrap XYZ and saying it's sunvisors ar ethe best in class, while privately regretting ever getting behind the wheel of this utter vehicle turd. When there is a car where there is no skin in the game, watch how the truth really comes out. Watch how God's Own Conveyance suddenly becomes How To Build A Shitbox 101.

Always has been this way, always will be.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 4, 2014

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
When Chris Harris made some bad comments towards Ferrari he got essentially blackballed from Ferrari press cars and could only find privately owned cars to do reviews in.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Powershift posted:

Netflix has most of them. In canada at least.

Not anymore - it's only season 15 - 19 now. The early seasons disappeared a few months ago (for me anyway?).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

G-Mach posted:

When Chris Harris made some bad comments towards Ferrari he got essentially blackballed from Ferrari press cars and could only find privately owned cars to do reviews in.

That's not actually unusual. A couple of my then journalists friends (I was having delusions of being a motoring writer in the late 80's) have been blackballed by Mercedes and Toyota. I still know a couple of them and they aren't welcome at a couple of manufacturers. Mercedes were absolutely legendary for it, reserving press cars for a small section of writers who they favoured and no one else. Say a bad word, you were done.

Lets just say any hope of a motoring writer career went out the window when I described some Mitsubishi as being pieced together with leftovers of an automotive abortion bucket.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

James may is doing a car thing that's not top gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVV_1fMRJiE

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Powershift posted:

Britain loves them a mini-series, looks like this is three hour-long episodes. Should be good.

Edit:

Episode #1.1 (10 Aug. 2014)
Episode #1.2 (17 Aug. 2014)
Episode #1.3 (24 Aug. 2014)

pik_d fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 4, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

G-Mach posted:

I thought he was banned from the Ferrari test track for reasons unknown.

Powershift posted:

Woohoo!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
drat. As awesome as that looks to be I was really hoping for more Man Lab.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cat Terrist posted:

I'd be very surprised if it was more than anyone else. Car companies by the whole are dicks when it comes to the press and any hint of a actual fair review - the more expensive and exotic, the more dickish the company is. You basically bend over to them or you don't get access to cars, you don't say nasty things or they pull advertising to your publication. Much of what is said about traditional publications - and now increasingly Internet publications - being balls deep with car companies is 100% true because if you don't have access to cars or you don't get advertising? You starve. Even TG with it's media muscle isn't immune.

You want to be at the media junkets and get "EXCLUSIVE SCOOPS!!!!"? You want industry access? Well I hope you feel okay in typing utter hyperbolic dribble about Deathtrap XYZ and saying it's sunvisors ar ethe best in class, while privately regretting ever getting behind the wheel of this utter vehicle turd. When there is a car where there is no skin in the game, watch how the truth really comes out. Watch how God's Own Conveyance suddenly becomes How To Build A Shitbox 101.

Always has been this way, always will be.

I read an editorial in TG Magazine where they said that TG was unique in that is was immune to the pressure from the car companies and that it was pretty awesome to be in that position.

Because of The Unique Way The BBC is Funded (tm), they get zero money from the car companies (in fact, they are prohibited from doing so) and so the PR companies have no pressure to apply.

As for withholding access, they seem to have taken the attitude that the car companies need them more than they need the car companies. Certainly, when TG gave the famously scathing review of the Vauxhall Vectra and Vauxhall shut off PR, TG' response was 'meh' - they had plenty of other material to fill their viewing schedule.

Now they are so big, this is defintely true and it is fun to watch the car companies flail.

Withdraw the press car on the day of filming an overseas road test?
gently caress you, Chrysler, we'll buy one for cash from your dealer and use that.

Pull the press car the day before a road test?
gently caress you Bentley, we'll take a used Yugo and call it a Mulsanne and slag it off throughout the test.

Works both ways too:
Hey Noble, remember that we've always said your cars were just 'okay', but you should buy a Porche instead? Can we borrow one for a long trip and if it breaks, we'll show the presenter stranded by the side of the road, show the car on a recovery lorry and show the part that failed catestrophically.
Yes? Okay, enjoy being compared favourably to a Lamborghini Aventador and a McLaren MP4-12C

Bristol Motors, still think we are dicks and refuse to talk to us? Yeah, anyone able to name one of their cars?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am, but that's only because I'm a loving nerd.

Cat Terrist posted:

Lets just say any hope of a motoring writer career went out the window when I described some Mitsubishi as being pieced together with leftovers of an automotive abortion bucket.

To be fair, that might have had more to do with the quality of your metaphors than your unwillingness to fluff an advertiser's car. :v:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 4, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Did anyone watch James May's Cars of the People?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somewhat expected, but it's more of a history show than a car show, focusing on sociological stuff that centered around certain cars rather than the cars themselves.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Just finished the first episode; kind of interesting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah I just finished the first episode and I quite like the show. James May can talk about anything but about the social and economic reasons for automobiles existing is right up my alley.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
What's it called? Cars of the People? I'll have to look into it tonight.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Daric posted:

What's it called? Cars of the People? I'll have to look into it tonight.

"James May's Cars of the People" is the full title and there is only 1 episode out right now, the pilot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pik_d posted:

Did anyone watch James May's Cars of the People?

It was pretty interesting. I liked the use of Spinal Tap's "(Listen to the) Flower People".

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I watched it today and really enjoyed it. It's very James May.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Loved the episode, glad May is doing it instead of Clarkson as I don't think we'd have gotten the segments about Italy or Russia, just an extra 40 minutes of nazi jokes.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I liked the use of Spinal Tap's "(Listen to the) Flower People".

I liked the use of Hell March from C&C Red Alert

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I really like him as both a bloke and a presenter, but I can't help getting the feeling that his show is basically a series of wikipedia articles with some good presentation.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

spog posted:

I really like him as both a bloke and a presenter, but I can't help getting the feeling that his show is basically a series of wikipedia articles with some good presentation.

One of his other shows "Things You Need To Know" is pretty much James May reading Wikipedia articles over infographics with the occasional literal talking head as they just show their heads in on-screen pop-ups.

Still, they're not nearly as bad as any Richard Hammond show. Richard Hammond, who put his name on "Should I Worry About... Sausages?"

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

RillAkBea posted:

Richard Hammond, who put his name on "Should I Worry About... Sausages?"
...yes?

Sky News posted:

Sausage Linked To Denmark Listeria Deaths

Contaminated sausage has been linked to an outbreak of listeriosis that has killed 12 people in Denmark. Health officials said a further eight people have so far tested positive for the disease, which kills around a quarter of those who contract it.

It is thought they all ate rolled pork sausage supplied by Danish company Jorn A Rullepolser, whose products have now been withdrawn from sale. The outbreak of listeriosis began last September but gained momentum in recent months, with 15 new cases reported since June. All those who contracted the disease were aged 43-89 with underlying health problems and the Danish state health agency SSI said the outbreak is believed to be under control.

Listeriosis is a food-borne infection caused by the bacterium listeria monocytogenes, with meat, smoked fish and soft cheese among the most high risk foods. Cancer patients, pregnant women and those with diabetes or blood disorders are particularly susceptible to the disease. Symptoms include fever, weakness, diarrhoea and vomiting but an incubation period of up to 70 days can make it difficult to find the source of any infection.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

But.. but.. Hammond told us they were safe. :ohdear:

It was just a general interest show that spent the entire program indulging first world problems then adding at the end that you probably needn't worry after all. The chances are if they had taken the time to make an episode about it, you needn't worry about it. Except sausages, apparently.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

So by summer Top Gear UK really means we'll see the special a week into fall right?

I mean I guess September will still count as summer for a bit. :v:

edit: I should stop being ungrateful for Top Gear because I will be super sad when it ends some day.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 16, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay, any show which has a Renault 4L get shot by an RPG is fine by me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah last night's episode was great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Watching James May quote John McClane, then light up a French hatchback with a machine gun to the strains of Ode To Joy, is not a bad way to relax after work.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
BBC says Clarkson is not "untouchable"

Normally, I'd say something like this would be a publicity stunt, but neither Top Gear nor Clarkson need publicity.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Normally, I'd say something like this would be a publicity stunt, but neither Top Gear nor Clarkson need publicity.
I'm honestly pretty surprised by some of the language he gets away with. Wonder if this is one if the main reasons the June series got pushed to November.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

The suggestion that the laferrari-p1-918 comparo won't happen because ferrari doesn't lend top gear cars.

I don't think it's just Ferrari; I can't imagine any of the three would really be up for a triple test and that's why none of the car mags have done one (closest so far is Evo where Dickie Meaden drove the P1 and 918 on the same day), so it's not just a Top Gear thing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 238 days!)

Mister Kingdom posted:

I agree to disagree. "Oh, look, we're poo poo stirring! Teehee, teehee!"

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

The suggestion that the laferrari-p1-918 comparo won't happen because ferrari doesn't lend top gear cars.

I would agree. Didn't they need to borrow an Enzo because Ferrari wouldn't lend it to them?

Also the Ferrari FXX timed lap was driven by Schumacher and Top Gear took the time down when they realized Ferrari had slipped racing slick tires on.

I assume Mclaren and Porsche wouldn't appreciate the direct comparison either. All three of them have come up with extremely similar cars that were supposed to be unique at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just the P1 and 918 is good enough. I honestly don't care about the La Ferrari. I really liked the 458 but I haven't really cared about any other Ferrari.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

I would agree. Didn't they need to borrow an Enzo because Ferrari wouldn't lend it to them?

Also the Ferrari FXX timed lap was driven by Schumacher and Top Gear took the time down when they realized Ferrari had slipped racing slick tires on.

I assume Mclaren and Porsche wouldn't appreciate the direct comparison either. All three of them have come up with extremely similar cars that were supposed to be unique at the same time.

I think the FXX wasn't exactly stock either from recollection there was something about it being Michael Schumachers personal car.

I'm not sure McLaren or Porsche would care too much at this point because they've probably sold all of their planned production runs already.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The FXX quite simply isn't a road car in any shape or form.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Clarkson got Ice Bucket Challenged...rather, his kids gently caress with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU6pB7s7rtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That's worth it just to hear him yell at the end.