Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

KingLemming posted:

It's a brilliant block, if you're an electrical engineer. It's way the hell too obtuse if you're not.
It's a pretty simple block. Although I have a formal education in physics which probably falls under your "electrical engineer" clause. :(

The best way for the average person to use it is any time you see some nerd calling for some kind of redstone circuit design just go "I bet the prc has that function/setting" and it pretty much does. It's also a great central hub for redstone stuff. In one block you can have every redstone contraption you'd ever have. At the same time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Is there anything wrong with the Yogscast Complete pack? I'm thinking about switching to that since playing Agrarian Skies then going back to NST really makes me miss all the Ex Nihilo mods and some of the quality of life mods that AS has. I think the Yogscast pack integrates all that stuff, but I don't here anyone talking about it pretty much ever.

e: Also, does anyone know how to fix z-fighting with optifine? I get this with constant flickering on lots of objects when I move around:

Sumac fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 2, 2014

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, PRCs are pretty much my favorite redstone block but, uh... I work in / am studying engineering, so v:v:v

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I remember reading somewhere that in TConstruct you could replace specific components of a tool - is that accurate and if so, how do I do it?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Falcon2001 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that in TConstruct you could replace specific components of a tool - is that accurate and if so, how do I do it?

That's a feature of Iguana's tweaks, which is part of the Ag Skies pack. If you've got it, I believe it's just put the tool and the new component in a crafting grid.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Is there anything wrong with the Yogscast Complete pack? I'm thinking about switching to that since playing Agrarian Skies then going back to NST really makes me miss all the Ex Nihilo mods and some of the quality of life mods that AS has. I think the Yogscast pack integrates all that stuff, but I don't here anyone talking about it pretty much ever.

e: Also, does anyone know how to fix z-fighting with optifine? I get this with constant flickering on lots of objects when I move around:

I like it :shobon: It can be a bit laggy, especially when loading new chunks, but there's nothing wrong with it. There is an absolute poo poo ton of mods as well (200+ IIRC) so there's always something to do.

You can add Ex Nihilo in within the ATL launcher, I don't think it's included as default but it's in the pack already so it's fairly simple.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Serifina posted:

That's a feature of Iguana's tweaks, which is part of the Ag Skies pack. If you've got it, I believe it's just put the tool and the new component in a crafting grid.

Ah, dang. Oh well. Had a Fortune III Auto-smelting pick but I can replace it later.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

My girlfriend's been playing it a lot and my only complaint would be that there's a few mods in there that can really kill performance if you're unlucky, mainly DartCraft and Chocolate Quest

Also load times and RAM requirement are pretty bad because of the amount of mods in there

edit: One more complaint actually: I don't get the appeal of Metallurgy in the first place, but Metallurgy and Ex Nihlo is an awful combo unless you really enjoy making sorting systems

Threep fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 3, 2014

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The main problem I've had with the Yogscast Complete pack is crashes from the Better Dungeons/Chocolate Craft mod while wandering around, sometimes to the point where I can't even reload without it immediately crashing, and since I like to explore, it's happened a handful of times now. Now I make sure I make a backup of my player file before I head out for any long-range exploration, so if it happens again I can just restore that file and reappear back home.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I've been mucking about in single-player Yogscast for awhile. I'd second the comments about the heavy load due to the number of mods, but it otherwise seems to work fine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a mod in yogscast complete for panning for ores? I thought I saw that at one point but now I can't find it. I guess it would involve setting up some water and doing something with it. I believe it would take random ores out from underneath the immediate area when you did it. This is not the stuff in emasher's engineering toolbox, by the way.

I've decided the one part I hate about the game is running around in nondescript caves. I'm trying to figure out how to play more on the surface. I usually end up digging a Hobbit Hole and living in it for most of the rest of a singleplayer game. The pattern is getting boring.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Is there a way in Refined Relocation to match things like "Raw Rubber" but not "Rubber Sapling"? I can't seem to get spaces to work, and multiple wildcards in the same filter don't work either.

Edit: alright yeah, ditching RR for now. This mod is a good idea in principle but in execution it's incredibly frustrating. There's no way to validate what you're matching, any conflicts shut down the entire sorting system, and the filtering is pretty lame.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 3, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
After lots of background cleanup and build process fiddling, here's the next stable version of Artifice http://build.technicpack.net/job/Artifice/272/artifact/build/libs/Artifice-1.7-1.1.4-272.jar

Limestone and also it depends on and is integrated into CoFHCore now do not neglect to have CoFHCore. Since 1.7 is still settling in, now is the perfect time to hammer out worldgen, at least in my eyes.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
RedNet is confusing the poo poo out of me, because I am a drooling idiot. Say I want constant current sent to three blocks, and all current stops if you push a button for, like, 3 seconds. How can I make that happen?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Shukaro posted:

After lots of background cleanup and build process fiddling, here's the next stable version of Artifice http://build.technicpack.net/job/Artifice/272/artifact/build/libs/Artifice-1.7-1.1.4-272.jar

Limestone and also it depends on and is integrated into CoFHCore now do not neglect to have CoFHCore. Since 1.7 is still settling in, now is the perfect time to hammer out worldgen, at least in my eyes.

Do they have the same kind of variants as basalt/marble do?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Shukaro posted:

Does this limestone also work for Chisel ?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

Do they have the same kind of variants as basalt/marble do?

Yep.

Tzarnal posted:

Does this limestone also work for Chisel ?

Maybe? Depends on how that uses the ore dictionary.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Having torn out Chicken Chunks, seems the particle accelerator and it just don't get along. It's fine if it's not installed. (Chicken Core has no issues.) Stuck using MFR chunk loaders but whatever.

Does anyone know if the Wither takes damage from cryotheum? I found out the hard way that single-block thick effector fields won't stand up to a thermobaric bomb and that Wither shots will sometimes glitch enough damage through to ignite TNT. Trying to build a better death trap.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just started messing around with Progress and I'm stumped. How are you supposed to move around power? There's no energy conduits or anything that doesn't require an absolute shitload of redstone. I just want to run a pulverizer and a redstone furnace off of an ExtraUtils generator. All I see are ExtraUtil's incredibly expensive energy stuff or EnderIO's cables.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

RedNet is confusing the poo poo out of me, because I am a drooling idiot. Say I want constant current sent to three blocks, and all current stops if you push a button for, like, 3 seconds. How can I make that happen?

Ok, while I am not an electrical engineer, I do have a basic understanding of the functions in the PRC and I should be able to help you.

First basic functions to be familiar with:

pass-through: passes the value through. Push a button, get a signal on this channel, that simple.

inverter: the opposite of pass-through, sends constant signal, unless it receives a signal in it's input, in which case, it turns off while receiving a signal.

pulse lengthner: here is the key one for your problem, this takes input, and extends it for a number of ticks. The first thing on the left for this function is it's input, and the second is (normally) a constant, or CNST as the PRC calls it. A constant is just that, a constant, unchanging number that the function refers to. In this case, it is a number of ticks to extend the signal by after the input stops sending a signal.

So, it sounds like the solution you want combines the second 2 functions, you normally want a signal to be sent to a few blocks, but when you push a button, you want that signal to stop for about 3 seconds. How do we combine that inverter and the pulse lengthener?

With variables.

To start, make a Pulse lengthener function as your first function on the PRC, maybe on the left side of the PRC on channel blue. Hook up a button to a cable coming from the left side of the PRC and change the color of the connection with a sledgehammer until it is blue. For the delay, use what feels right. This number will depend on if you are on a server or not and lag will have a very noticeable effect on the time ( I suggest starting at 50 or more). Next, for it's output, instead of it being whatever side and color the blocks you want to send the signal to, set the output to VAR 1. For your next function, make it an inverter function. For the input, use VAR 1, and set the output to whatever side and color you want to send your signal to.

That should be it, play with the pulse lengthner number to find what feels right.

edit:

Echophonic posted:

I just started messing around with Progress and I'm stumped. How are you supposed to move around power? There's no energy conduits or anything that doesn't require an absolute shitload of redstone. I just want to run a pulverizer and a redstone furnace off of an ExtraUtils generator. All I see are ExtraUtil's incredibly expensive energy stuff or EnderIO's cables.

Use EnderIO conduits for energy.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Energy conduits from EnderIO are what you want, and they're cheap. You only need 3 redstone for 8 of them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just tried them out, they seem like they'll do the job nicely. Plus, they look really cool. Thanks!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Man, AE2. Hoping he cleans this up a little bit, but right now it's a pain in the rear end. For example, you can grow crystals from seeds - grind up certus/fluix/nether quartz and add sand, get two seeds for every original crystal. Drop seeds in water, wait a long time (or shorter time with an accelerator), get a 'pure seed'. The problem? His FAQ/Getting STarted guide indicates this lets you 'grow a huge amount from a small relative starting batch' - but you can't make seeds from pure crystals, hell you can't even grind them up. Not only does this mean that you can't do that exact thing he mentions, but you also can't do anything that needs quartz/nether/fluix dusts, further limiting this.

In general the ideas are interesting and I appreciate it being something more than the standard 'you make some weird components out of normal poo poo', but it basically has meant that getting AE2 off the ground is a gigantic clusterfuck, even though it's generally supposed to be a lot easier to get going since you can have ad-hoc networks/etc.

I guess it's still alpha/beta so hope he improves on this stuff, but right now it's been a day or two of playing on Progress (not on the main server, but on my small SMP thing) and haven't gotten beyond 'vibration engine + inscriber'. The basic concept is there but yeah, frustrating.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

axelsoar posted:

Ok, while I am not an electrical engineer, I do have a basic understanding of the functions in the PRC and I should be able to help you.

First basic functions to be familiar with:

pass-through: passes the value through. Push a button, get a signal on this channel, that simple.

inverter: the opposite of pass-through, sends constant signal, unless it receives a signal in it's input, in which case, it turns off while receiving a signal.

pulse lengthner: here is the key one for your problem, this takes input, and extends it for a number of ticks. The first thing on the left for this function is it's input, and the second is (normally) a constant, or CNST as the PRC calls it. A constant is just that, a constant, unchanging number that the function refers to. In this case, it is a number of ticks to extend the signal by after the input stops sending a signal.

So, it sounds like the solution you want combines the second 2 functions, you normally want a signal to be sent to a few blocks, but when you push a button, you want that signal to stop for about 3 seconds. How do we combine that inverter and the pulse lengthener?

With variables.

To start, make a Pulse lengthener function as your first function on the PRC, maybe on the left side of the PRC on channel blue. Hook up a button to a cable coming from the left side of the PRC and change the color of the connection with a sledgehammer until it is blue. For the delay, use what feels right. This number will depend on if you are on a server or not and lag will have a very noticeable effect on the time ( I suggest starting at 50 or more). Next, for it's output, instead of it being whatever side and color the blocks you want to send the signal to, set the output to VAR 1. For your next function, make it an inverter function. For the input, use VAR 1, and set the output to whatever side and color you want to send your signal to.

That should be it, play with the pulse lengthner number to find what feels right.

edit:

Use EnderIO conduits for energy.

You're awesome, I'll try that out tonight. Thanks!

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Falcon2001 posted:

Man, AE2. Hoping he cleans this up a little bit, but right now it's a pain in the rear end.

I was making some similar comments in the AE irc channel yesterday, but the developer(s) didn't seem phased. It looks incredibly useful, it promises to eliminate the tedium of figuring out which chest you left something in, but it's really confusing and resource intensive to do anything with it.

Even skipping over the process of finding the meteors in the first place, to do the most basic thing possible -- connect a storage bus and a terminal to a vanilla chest -- requires...
  1. make 2 pistons
  2. make 1 sticky piston
  3. combine nether quartz, charged certus quartz, and redstone to make fluix crystal*
  4. grind fluix crystal until you have 2 dust
  5. grind nether or certus quartz until you have 8 dust
  6. smelt 3 quartz dust into silicon
  7. inscribe 3 gold ingots into 3 printed logic circuits
  8. inscribe 3 silicon into 3 printed silicon
  9. inscribe 3 printed logic circuits, 3 redstone dust, and 3 printed silicon into 3 logic processors
  10. craft 2 nether quartz, 2 fluix dust, and 2 logic processors into 4 annihilation cores
  11. craft 4 iron ingots, 2 glass, and 2 annihilation cores into 1 ME interface
  12. craft 1 ME interface, 1 sticky piston, and 1 piston into 1 ME storage bus.
  13. craft 5 quartz dust and 4 glass into 4 quartz glass
  14. craft 1 iron ingot, 2 glowstone dust, 1 redstone, and 3 quartz glass into 3 illuminated panels
  15. craft 1 illuminated panel, 2 annihilation cores, and 1 logic processor into 1 ME terminal.

Ignoring really basic steps like making planks and smelting ore, that's 12 steps just to make an ME storage bus, which you're going to need several of if you want to do anything meaningful with this system, plus 3 more to make a terminal. Oh, by the way, you're going to need power and some cables, too! It's a shame because the finished, working system looks really slick, well-programmed, and useful, but that crafting process... :(

* btw, regarding the dust and crystal seeds, I suspect what you're supposed to do is grind all your crystal into dust, then use a crystal-growth-accelerated growing pool to make exactly the number of crystals you need when you want to craft something. The whole mess between crystal, dust, seeds, and fluix crystal just adds additional, unnecessary confusion to the whole thing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Goncyn posted:

* btw, regarding the dust and crystal seeds, I suspect what you're supposed to do is grind all your crystal into dust, then use a crystal-growth-accelerated growing pool to make exactly the number of crystals you need when you want to craft something. The whole mess between crystal, dust, seeds, and fluix crystal just adds additional, unnecessary confusion to the whole thing.

Yeah, that does seem to be the case, wish it worked like that. The end result is so useful that I'll probably stick with the mod either way and just significantly up the spawn rate of quartz, but daaaaaaaamn son.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goncyn posted:

I was making some similar comments in the AE irc channel yesterday, but the developer(s) didn't seem phased. It looks incredibly useful, it promises to eliminate the tedium of figuring out which chest you left something in, but it's really confusing and resource intensive to do anything with it.

Even skipping over the process of finding the meteors in the first place, to do the most basic thing possible -- connect a storage bus and a terminal to a vanilla chest -- requires...
  1. make 2 pistons
  2. make 1 sticky piston
  3. combine nether quartz, charged certus quartz, and redstone to make fluix crystal*
  4. grind fluix crystal until you have 2 dust
  5. grind nether or certus quartz until you have 8 dust
  6. smelt 3 quartz dust into silicon
  7. inscribe 3 gold ingots into 3 printed logic circuits
  8. inscribe 3 silicon into 3 printed silicon
  9. inscribe 3 printed logic circuits, 3 redstone dust, and 3 printed silicon into 3 logic processors
  10. craft 2 nether quartz, 2 fluix dust, and 2 logic processors into 4 annihilation cores
  11. craft 4 iron ingots, 2 glass, and 2 annihilation cores into 1 ME interface
  12. craft 1 ME interface, 1 sticky piston, and 1 piston into 1 ME storage bus.
  13. craft 5 quartz dust and 4 glass into 4 quartz glass
  14. craft 1 iron ingot, 2 glowstone dust, 1 redstone, and 3 quartz glass into 3 illuminated panels
  15. craft 1 illuminated panel, 2 annihilation cores, and 1 logic processor into 1 ME terminal.

Ignoring really basic steps like making planks and smelting ore, that's 12 steps just to make an ME storage bus, which you're going to need several of if you want to do anything meaningful with this system, plus 3 more to make a terminal. Oh, by the way, you're going to need power and some cables, too! It's a shame because the finished, working system looks really slick, well-programmed, and useful, but that crafting process... :(

I will hand-rewrite all that poo poo and re-release it if I have to.

I don't understand why mod creators get it into their heads to ~~balance~~ their mods by just amping up the tediousness. It happens all the time and it may as well be gregtech.txt. It happened to Thaumcraft, it happened to IC2, it happened to forestry, its happening right now to AE2! They listen to crazy people who whine endlessly about how powerful something is and they think "oh boy, i need to slow this down, this is too good". No poo poo its good, that's why you made the mod in the first place.

Its like before you make a mod, you write yourself a letter, then you give it to a courier so that it will be delivered 2 years from now. Then, when you are big and famous Mr. mod maker, you get this letter from you. It tells you to stop being a giant twat and make the mods for your original goals: making everyone's lives easier in a game that, by definition, to do anything big is always hard.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nonsense like the AE2 stuff is why things like minetweaker exist.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Whats up with NEI in progress, I can't seem to get it into utility mode

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Two questions:

What would be the best way to get some serious power generation going in the Progress pack? I'm having a hard time running TE machines for any appreciable length of time with generators and EnderIO Stirling Engines. I'm spoiled by Big Reactors and Mekanism from the Yogscast Pack.

Secondly, is there a reason Mekanism won't retrogen ores? I set the flag in the config after I added it to Progress, but I can't seem to find any in old chunks. I could just not be seeing it, but osmium is usually pretty common.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I don't understand why mod creators get it into their heads to ~~balance~~ their mods by just amping up the tediousness. It happens all the time and it may as well be gregtech.txt. It happened to Thaumcraft, it happened to IC2, it happened to forestry, its happening right now to AE2!

You know all these mods are still great in 1.2.5.....just saying :twisted:

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Hagop posted:

Whats up with NEI in progress, I can't seem to get it into utility mode

You've probably got NEI in 'Global' mode, and you have to switch it into 'World' mode to make any of your option changes actually affect your currently loaded game. It confused me for a while, too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Two questions:

What would be the best way to get some serious power generation going in the Progress pack? I'm having a hard time running TE machines for any appreciable length of time with generators and EnderIO Stirling Engines. I'm spoiled by Big Reactors and Mekanism from the Yogscast Pack.

Secondly, is there a reason Mekanism won't retrogen ores? I set the flag in the config after I added it to Progress, but I can't seem to find any in old chunks. I could just not be seeing it, but osmium is usually pretty common.

You can upgrade the stirling generator with capacitors. Beyond that, there's the zombie head generator (awesome), and the combustion generator, which both run on fluids produced by the vat - most of which are produced from farmable resources (animals or plants). Extra utilities also has a variety of interesting generators, most of them are pretty weak but they can run on unusual things.

As far as retrogen, you're better of doing that from the COFH worldgen configs, you'll get much more consistent results.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
How do you do COFH retrogen?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any other decent 1.7.10 modpacks, or is Progress about it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is the latest 1.7.10 tinkers construct supposed to be missing the ability to make tool rod stencils or did it move or whats going on?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rutibex posted:

You know all these mods are still great in 1.2.5.....just saying :twisted:

I absolutely love AE2 in 1.2.5...

I get that it's your gimmick and all, but there was no proper storage sorting and access (in sheer scale like AE has) in 1.2.5

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It looks like gas-burning generators are terrible in Mekanism v7. I can't even run an Electrolytic Separator off of one.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 4, 2014

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

mechaet posted:

I absolutely love AE2 in 1.2.5...

I get that it's your gimmick and all, but there was no proper storage sorting and access (in sheer scale like AE has) in 1.2.5

BC crafting and RP push/pull sorting or logi pipes can be used to do basically all of what AE 1 can do, in terms of item crafting and storage. Its just way more complicated to setup and requires like 10x10 chunk base full of the machinery to get working.

Its really fun to setup, or would be if 1.2.5 had the modern crafting table upgrades. Not being able to drag drop stuff in a crafting table makes 1.2.5 unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Hagop posted:

BC crafting and RP ... requires like 10x10 chunk base full of the machinery to get working.

AE does all of that in 3 blocks. Not chunks, blocks. It's scale thing, also from a server-runner perspective hugely tick-friendly.

• Locked thread