Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I played NES remix on a friend's Wii U the other day and had tons of fun with it. Maybe I'll pick up a second hand Wii U in Japan, would there by any downside to a Japanese version? Can I still create an online account or whatever even if I use it outside of Japan and it's second hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I played NES remix on a friend's Wii U the other day and had tons of fun with it. Maybe I'll pick up a second hand Wii U in Japan, would there by any downside to a Japanese version? Can I still create an online account or whatever even if I use it outside of Japan and it's second hand?

regional lockout

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gay skull posted:

regional lockout

Well that just applies to the games themselves, right? Or does it actually block foreign IP addresses?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can play and buy all the Japanese games you want, and you can use the Japanese eShop, assuming you have a Japanese credit card or a reliable source of eshop points from Japan. Obviously if you move you suddenly made all your games super expensive to buy.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Shibawanko posted:

Well that just applies to the games themselves, right? Or does it actually block foreign IP addresses?
Region lock only applies to the games, eShop and gamepad. It doesn't block IP addresses it just forces you to use the eShop for the region of the system.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I think I remember someone in this thread asking if they could disable the gamepad when playing NSMBU since it was distracting.

You can if you press the home button then go to controller settings. Of course it comes right back on if you press any buttons so you need to use a pro controller.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I find putting it on the lowest brightness setting does almost as well.

I got skyward sword today.... feels so good to be playing a zelda for the first time again

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

ethanol posted:

I got skyward sword today....

Any chance you found a deal and want to share?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the truth posted:

Any chance you found a deal and want to share?

I paid $50.... :smug:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I'm playing Skyward sword right now, I just wish there was a way to make it look a bit less lovely on WiiU.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Wait for the inevitable HD remake, I guess.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

dr.acula posted:

I'm playing Skyward sword right now, I just wish there was a way to make it look a bit less lovely on WiiU.

Just to check, you change the console settings to 480p before playing? I did that with brawl, and I can't remember what looked bad but it did. Then I changed the resolution on the console to match the Wii's and it looked like it would on the Wii.

Unless they changed that. Or you already did that and just mean it looks poo poo since it's 480p in which case yeah it sucks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You can use dolphin to put it in 1080p if you've got a great cpu... not sure if skyward sword is bug free or not

it does look pretty bad upscaled on the wii u

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Wii games on the Wii U run through a special mode which basically turns it into a Wii. Everything works as normal from there.

And you can play everything on the gamepad screen which is cool as gently caress.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kly posted:

And you can play everything on the gamepad screen which is cool as gently caress.

Worth adding that you can play on the screen, but not use the actualGamepad. It's essentially a mini TV screen.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dr.acula posted:

Weird, I thought it looked alright, but just alright. I've generally been pleased with the Wii U's handling of Wii games. Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, looks like total unplayable poo poo. Oh well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
EU dudes, Amazon Italy has the 8GB Wii Party U console bundle for 190EUR:

http://www.amazon.it/Wii-Console-Party-Bianco-Bundle/dp/B00FXOS1KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407106247&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+u

White 8GB console, Wiimote Plus, Wii Party U, Nintendo Land and a Wii U Karaoke pass.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I think people a lot of people who complain about the tablet controller try to grip it when it should really just kind of sit in your hands

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Skyward sword looks a lot better on the gamepad since it's much closer to standard definition. Also my mind is blown on how the wiimote seems to work without the sensor bar as I play it on the gamepad. Even if I'm pointing a different direction from it....

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ethanol posted:

Skyward sword looks a lot better on the gamepad since it's much closer to standard definition. Also my mind is blown on how the wiimote seems to work without the sensor bar as I play it on the gamepad. Even if I'm pointing a different direction from it....

That's because Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar at all (except for calibration), it's basically entirely controlled by the Wii Motion +'s gyroscope.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Jsor posted:

That's because Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar at all (except for calibration), it's basically entirely controlled by the Wii Motion +'s gyroscope.

No, it's because there's a sensor bar in the Gamepad. That long oval at the top that the camera is in also acts as a a Wii sensor bar.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fremry posted:

No, it's because there's a sensor bar in the Gamepad. That long oval at the top that the camera is in also acts as a a Wii sensor bar.

You can aim the slingshot pointing the wiimote at a wall though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fremry posted:

While this is true, Skyward Sword doesn't use IR for anything but calibration.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ethanol posted:

You can aim the slingshot pointing the wiimote at a wall though

Yeah, Skyward uses Gyro aiming, not IR pointing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

New trailer, in which a young anime beats monsters to death with a stick

edit: Link DLC trailer
Zelda DLC trailer

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lana is the best, even though I'm pretty sure she's just a reskin of Wang Yuanji (who is also the best). I want them to put her in a real Zelda game.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

ethanol posted:

Going to try this out, I forgot you could do this.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I've been catching up on the last generation and have been having some bizarre issues playing original Wii discs under the Wii menu. A couple of games I have been playing, Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros. Brawl are frequently crashing the console when I try to load them. The splash screen will appear as usual under the disc menu, but half the time I try to load the games the screen just goes black and the console crashes. No button inputs work (even the power button) and I have to unplug the console to get it unstuck. I called Nintendo's support number and was advised to disconnect the wi-fi, since, apparently, routers can sometimes cause some kind of interference with the console(wtf?). This seemed to work when I was on the phone with support, but when I tried the console later, it even crashed on the Wii Menu when going to "Options". I already tried cleaning the console with the Lens cleaner disc, and that didn't seem to help either. Anyone else have issues like this? Is it a firmware thing?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

You can play and buy all the Japanese games you want, and you can use the Japanese eShop, assuming you have a Japanese credit card or a reliable source of eshop points from Japan. Obviously if you move you suddenly made all your games super expensive to buy.

Nintendo is the only company around that accepts international credit cards from anywhere in the world on their eShop. You don't need a Japanese one.

The karaoke app may be IP blocked, IIRC, and the Japanese VOD services also are, but none of the games are.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

noirstronaut posted:

Should I go ahead and import Taiko?

As far as I know (and I don't know very much), there exists a browser-mode exploit but it doesn't do anything useful like allow access to the filesystem, and even if it did, nobody's familiar enough with how the WiiU works yet to actually make anything with it.

Edit: Here's the announcement:

quote:

Yesterday, MarioNumber1 updated the first big exploit on Wii U using the WebKit Browser to be able to handle the latest firmwares v5.1.0, but already developers have been working on exploring the userspace and finding more exploits and other things that can be accessed thanks to the 'Browser Exploit', we already posted over the last month videos of Mario Kart 8, but today we bring the first image of actual Homebrew App/Utility being dumped that when finished will able you to launch actual Wii U mode 'homebrew' and dump your needed unique 'keys' that are needed to enable devices like ODE's to work, and also other great future homebrew apps, etc.

A picture they say is worth a thousand words, and this one is worth millions I think, it was given to me by developers that wish to remain for now 'uncredited' and don't ask for ETA, but its been worked on daily, and we will post more good news regarding the growing Wii U scene over the next few weeks, so stay tuned for some ball-busting amazing action found right here only on MaxConsole UnderGround.

The upshot is that that image is pretty much definitely a text string being displayed through the browser exploit and not some magic breakthrough which just so happens to include the three things everyone most wants an exploit to be able to do plus an advert for a website. Don't hold your breath for actual homebrew for a long while.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Space Harrier posted:

I've been catching up on the last generation and have been having some bizarre issues playing original Wii discs under the Wii menu. A couple of games I have been playing, Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros. Brawl are frequently crashing the console when I try to load them. The splash screen will appear as usual under the disc menu, but half the time I try to load the games the screen just goes black and the console crashes. No button inputs work (even the power button) and I have to unplug the console to get it unstuck. I called Nintendo's support number and was advised to disconnect the wi-fi, since, apparently, routers can sometimes cause some kind of interference with the console(wtf?). This seemed to work when I was on the phone with support, but when I tried the console later, it even crashed on the Wii Menu when going to "Options". I already tried cleaning the console with the Lens cleaner disc, and that didn't seem to help either. Anyone else have issues like this? Is it a firmware thing?

That sounds like an issue specifically related to dual-layer Wii discs, my old Wii had the same issue. There aren't many of them - those two plus Metroid Other M, Xenoblade, Last Story and a few others - but they're known to cause a lot of disc read errors. I'm not sure there's a lot you can do to fix the problem on your own... if you're still under warranty, your best bet might be to call back ad explain the dual-layer thing and hope they're willing to fix it for free.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cross-post from the Zelda thread:

JordanKai posted:

So here's a bit of interesting news: The Nintendo Network is going to be down for scheduled maintenance right around the time the Hyrule Warriors direct will be airing.

Could it be that they're going to announce a demo A V A I L A B L E N O W during the direct? :holy:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/nintendo_network_maintenance_scheduled_for_just_before_the_hyrule_warriors_direct

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Why is she not Saria? Wouldn't that moveset work perfectly for some sort of Kokiri character?

Also I don't get it, what's this DLC now? Just costumes or weapons?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Why is she not Saria? Wouldn't that moveset work perfectly for some sort of Kokiri character?

Also I don't get it, what's this DLC now? Just costumes or weapons?

Dlc is just costumes for Link and Zelda (and gossip of Ganondorf but more sketchy on that)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skyward Sword Zelda beating people up with the Wind Waker (and having it make the combat sound effects from TWW)? Sure why not, game looks cool as heck.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Geez the direct is at 11 PM and not AM? They've always been in the morning until now. I wonder what's up with that.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The wii u gamepad has a built in sensor bar so you can play games that use the wiimote on it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
How on earth are people playing Wii games using the gamepad screen? Are you just setting it up on the dinky stand and using it exactly like a tiny TV? Why?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I tried playing a little Xenoblade on my GamePad once. The resolution had this weird sort of blurriness I can't quite put words to, and it was pretty unpleasant. Usable, technically, but not something I'd do unless I had some other dire need of my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Stan Taylor posted:

How on earth are people playing Wii games using the gamepad screen? Are you just setting it up on the dinky stand and using it exactly like a tiny TV? Why?

I've played a few wii games on my gamepad when I've been sick and just wanna lay in bed. Or just lazy.

• Locked thread