Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

Pope Guilty posted:

I love Sneakers but Robert Redford is just so amazingly badly cast. He's a great actor but that was just not his role, you know?

It has been awhile since I have re-watched it so I'll defer to you assessment. My favorite character was Whistler because I was a bit of a phone phreak back in the day.

Christ I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counter-counter-counter-point: Five Guys Burger and Fries.

In & Out is superior to Five Guys.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

Are you from California?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Majorian posted:

I gotta agree with this. Five Guys was never especially great.

Whataburger is better than them both though :colbert:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Swan Oat posted:

was this the thread someone posted about charisma.com? i forget, i think i might have seen this in the UKMT or something. anyway, just so the stupid discussion thread has at least one post about charisma.com, they are good. electro rap from glorious nippon. here is a good song by them, thanks for reading my post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_IxpF0vNU

I am such a sucker for this kind of poo poo, thanks. :v:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Are you from California?

What gave it away? ;)

Wolfsheim posted:

I gotta agree with this. Five Guys was never especially great.

Whataburger is better than them both though :colbert:

Ooooh, you were doing so well!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counter-counter-counter-point: Five Guys Burger and Fries.

Six-string Samurai
SEVEN SAMURAI WHOOOAAA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have a confession to make: I've never eaten in either Five Guys or in In-N-Out, or Whattaburger. I just used Five Guys for the joke. :cry:

SedanChair posted:

Six-string Samurai
SEV7EN SAMURAI WHOOOAAA

Super-8. :getin:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have a confession to make: I've never eaten in either Five Guys or in In-N-Out, or Whattaburger. I just used Five Guys for the joke. :cry:

Super-8. :getin:

9 :yayclod:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Majorian posted:

Ooooh, you were doing so well!

I have never known greater pleasure than biting into a greasy bacon-double-cheese-whataburger at 2:30AM while almost too drunk to walk

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I have never known greater pleasure than biting into a greasy bacon-double-cheese-whataburger at 2:30AM while almost too drunk to walk

It probably doesn't have enough avocados for his Californian tastes

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
The A-1 thick and hearty burger is a national treasure.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Six-string Samurai
SEVEN SAMURAI WHOOOAAA

"Eight is Enough." A good show.

E: gently caress, beaten. "9 to 5."

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 4, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways.

Wait what are we talking about again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

It probably doesn't have enough avocados for his Californian tastes

Bitch please. Avocados are for poseurs. As are your curly fries and your jalapeños and what have you. All you need is the best motherfucking patty and ingredients you can get for a burger. That's how you match In & Out. And that is why you fail.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 4, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Curly fries are God's own fries choice.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Swan Oat posted:

The A-1 thick and hearty burger is a national treasure.

the only thing I genuinely miss about leaving Texas behind :(

EDIT: also that box they served with fried chicken strips, fries, and a huge vat of gravy

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Curly fries are so nasty. I like their shape though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

spoon0042 posted:

Dr. Strangelove

Page back, I got to see an analog print of Strangelove in theatre a few years ago. i
I had no idea Strangelove could be even better.

Ps: Sweet Potato Fries

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Fast food is bad, folks.

No one makes fast food for vegetarians so screw all of you :qq:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Move to Chi/NY/LA. Everyone makes fast food for veg/vegans.

There are probably dedicated fast-food outlets here for people who believe that they are non-human animals or even dragons.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
There are a couple of people on my FB who like to share pro-organic / anti-GMO / anti-Monsanto stuff. (And I know there is a thread about that which sometimes manages to stay roughly on the topic of GMO). I've noticed these same people have also started sharing a bunch of poo poo about artificial food coloring / dyes being *literally poison*

Is this considered an extension of the organic / anti-GMO craze or an even more fringe viewpoint? Trying to find the best thread to discuss it in because I know nothing about it... pretty sure it is inane drivel but I have nothing to back that up per se.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

Page back, I got to see an analog print of Strangelove in theatre a few years ago. i
I had no idea Strangelove could be even better.

Ps: Sweet Potato Fries
One theater or another generally shows a 35mm print of Strangelove every year or two in Seattle. I usually go.

Such an awesome movie.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

One theater or another generally shows a 35mm print of Strangelove every year or two in Seattle. I usually go.

Such an awesome movie.

One of the movies that spurred me to study nukes in grad school.:ussr:

(the other big one was "Hunt for Red October," because gently caress you if you don't love that movie)

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I remember Sneakers was on HBO the summer Edward Snowden dumped his archive. I think Enemy of the State was too, but I might be remembering what I want to. Would of been great if they had dug up a license for The Conversation.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nutranurse posted:

Fast food is bad, folks.

No one makes fast food for vegetarians so screw all of you :qq:

Move to Portland.

Don't move to Portland.

Also, I get why people hate on avocados and how odd it is that they end up in everything, but they're honestly pretty great. Not on burgers. I don't get why people put them on burgers. Maybe I've never had a really great avocado burger.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Avocados don't always add anything except texture. Mushrooms, grilled onion always taste like something.

vvvvvv
Well guacamole is a lot more than mashed-up avocados. Well, it's a little more than mashed up avocados. There is a ton of space though between good and mediocre guacamole.

I'm always getting home tired from work and peeling myself a warm avocado to eat. And I've never said anything but, "Huh. That sure was food". And then I just hit myself for not putting it in something or making a damned omelette.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 4, 2014

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

On the other hand, avocados are gross and taste like I'm eating butter. Guacamole is good though. No contradiction there. None.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Avocado or tomato chunks with salt is a nice afternoon snack

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gotta say illrepute that you can be both civil with D&D and GiP is amazing. I used to be army but people are way the hosed up there.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Chantilly Say posted:

Move to Portland.

Don't move to Portland.

Move to Portland if you already have employment lined up, and would support water fluoridation if it were to be brought up again in the future.

It won't be, and there are no jobs.

edit: also, if you have kids, they need to be vaccinated because herd immunity has collapsed here

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 4, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Sardines, mashed avocado and a bit of vinegar and salt on toast is pretty delicious and almost healthy for you in the 'good fats' kind of way.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Avocado is pretty good on burgers. It melts like a thick hunk of cheese.

An extension to movie chat, if you ever get a chance to see Copenhagen in a theatre (preferably in the round or 3/4 round), do it. It's a wonderful play about a meeting between Heisenberg and Bohr in Nazi-occupied Copenhagen about the atom bomb. I saw it when it came through the local theatre back when I was in high school, and loved it.

The BBC did a TV movie of the play in 2002. I haven't seen it all the way through, but it brings back good memories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGAq2kc6u0

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Oh awesome, hadn't realised it was all on youtube; was having trouble tracking it down.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I didn't even know they made a movie until I started looking into it tonight. It was a very pleasant surprise.

:edit:
Watching it now, but probably won't finish it tonight. It's still not as good as seeing it live. The scenery is a bit of a distraction. When I saw it in high school, it was in a 3/4 round and a very sparse stage. It was great watching them lap the stage doing their dialogue and having the gobos change depending on the subject of the conversation.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 4, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Hedera Helix posted:

Move to Portland if you already have employment lined up, and would support water fluoridation if it were to be brought up again in the future.

It won't be, and there are no jobs.

edit: also, if you have kids, they need to be vaccinated because herd immunity has collapsed here

Seattle is like Portland in that it's forward thinking and veg friendly, but there are also jobs and people who grew out of being a teenager. You could probably eat out all three meals for a week in Seattle, while vegetarian, and not go to the same place twice.

Although I'd recommend going to Yard House at least twice in that week.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I know the point of the movie is "relationships, huh?" but I hate that instead of treating the memory-eraser as something to be hand-waved away for the sake of letting the protagonist go on a visually-surreal emotional journey they actually keep it at the forefront. And then, a major plot point depends on a character realizing near the end of the film that erasing a huge chunk of someone's memory might cause problems unrelated to getting over a bad break-up. It basically gives itself props for inventing a bad thing and then pointing out that it would be bad.
haha what? that's your criticism of the film? what are you even talking about, man?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

R. Mute posted:

haha what? that's your criticism of the film? what are you even talking about, man?
Yeah I love that movie but I think the legit criticism is 'manic pixie dream girl' or 'Jim Carrey'... the premise as a meditation on memory/relationships and the visual execution is loving solid. It's not a polemic on the evil of memory erasure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all ever had four thousand dollar egg salad?

The police blotter in the Hamptons. I thought more interesting stuff happened up there, per Revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm more worried that Alex Jones may be loose on Shelter Island :ohdear:

• Locked thread