Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a show with a talking cat who is a huge jerk.

I've seen Darker Than Black, Nichijou, and Natsume Yujin-cho. Don't suggest Nyan Koi.

Sketchbook kinda? The cats only talk to each other though. One of them is voiced by the guy who voiced Kotomine on Fate/Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've seen Darker Than Black, Nichijou, and Natsume Yujin-cho. Don't suggest Nyan Koi.

My first thought was Madoka Magica, but I'm not sure Kyubey is sufficiently catlike.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Silver2195 posted:

My first thought was Madoka Magica, but I'm not sure Kyubey is sufficiently catlike.

He would be, but I've seen it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nekojiru Gekijou.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm shocked and appalled that you guys didn't think of this before anything else! :colbert:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

I kinda assumed he'd seen it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blhue posted:

I kinda assumed he'd seen it.

Plus the cat isn't exactly a main character either. He's in all of maybe three or four episodes as minor appearances.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You have to admit the cat that keeps biting Sakaki's hand is a pretty big jerk, even if he doesn't talk.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Ghost Stories dub

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service is kinda a jerk. (and also Phil Hartman in the dub)

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
I made the mistake, again, of listening to Kotaku's Richard Eisenbeis' opinions and began watching Blade and Soul. I got halfway through episode 7 before I just gave up and left that dull trash behind and the the unreasonably large-breasted horse it rode in on (seriously, how is Eisenbeis just so consistently wrong?) That being said, Blade and Soul has got me in the mood for what it was trying, and failing to do. That is, is there anything out there that takes place in an interesting sci-fi/fantasy setting, features a strong female lead (with tasteful design) that exists as a well-developed character, and a plot steeped in intrigue?

Necronomoticon fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 4, 2014

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Twelve Kingdoms, Moribito and Magic Knight Rayearth are the first things that spring to mind.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Necronomoticon posted:

I made the mistake, again, of listening to Kotaku's Richard Eisenbeis' opinions and began watching Blade and Soul. I got halfway through episode 7 before I just gave up and left that dull trash behind and the the unreasonably large-breasted horse it rode in on (seriously, how is Eisenbeis just so consistently wrong?) That being said, Blade and Soul has got me in the mood for what it was trying, and failing to do. That is, is there anything out there that takes place in an interesting sci-fi/fantasy setting, features a strong female lead (with tasteful design) that exists as a well-developed character, and a plot steeped in intrigue?
Have you seen Bodacious Space Pirates already?

Depending on how exactly you define strong and well-developed, and how high a tolerance for Sunrise you have, you might also try Sora Wo Kakeru Shoujo.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Necronomoticon posted:

Birdy the Mighty and Ghost in the Shell: Stand-alone Complex are extremely good and they almost match all of your criteria; minus the tasteful design.

If you *need* all of your criteria matched, then there's Psycho-Pass; but I wouldn't rate it as highly on the whole as the other two.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I dunno about the intrigue since I only managed to catch the beginning of an episode, but Iria: Zeiram the Animation seems to fit those criteria pretty well.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Space Dandy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oh man, that's actually perfect. I'll probably watch that and Sketchbook. Thanks!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh man, that's actually perfect. I'll probably watch that and Sketchbook. Thanks!

As far as I know there are only a couple cat-centric episodes of Sketchbook, but yeah they're pretty awesome.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GorfZaplen posted:

I dunno about the intrigue since I only managed to catch the beginning of an episode, but Iria: Zeiram the Animation seems to fit those criteria pretty well.

Iria gets nostalgia points for being one of the first anime I ever saw, but honestly, I probably wouldn't recommend it. It's just a mess.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Necronomoticon posted:

That is, is there anything out there that takes place in an interesting sci-fi/fantasy setting, features a strong female lead (with tasteful design) that exists as a well-developed character, and a plot steeped in intrigue?

Kind of a stretch on the "fantasy" setting, but you should probably watch Revolutionary Girl Utena anyways!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That you're not already watching Space Dandy is a horrible crime. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm in the mood for something Black Lagoonish, watching Funimation's streams of Jormungand were alright, but that show has room for improvement. Either that, or a really weird scifi with good mood like Ergo Proxy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Have you seen Baccano!?

If not, see Baccano!.

If so, see Baccano! again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you want more Baccano but not Baccano having seen it potentially twice already, watch Durarara.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Have you seen Bodacious Space Pirates already?

That's not a joke answer by the way, it's a legit good show that seems to fit what you're asking for, except for the steeped in intrigue part maybe, although there definitely is some.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Also:

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
The thread gave me some pretty amazing recommendations last time around, so I defer to your wisdom once again.

This time I'm looking for anime/manga that centers around or prominently features family. Genre doesn't matter much to me, so anything from Yotsuba and Usagi Drop to Stardust Crusaders would fit the bill. Hinamatsuri is another example with the father-daughter relationship between the two main characters. Something with a bad rear end parent as the lead or the kid(s) setting out for the sake of their family would be pretty great, too!

I'd like to avoid anything horribly depressing like Grave of the Fireflies. And Oreimo. For the love of God nothing like Oreimo. :gonk:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Everyman posted:

This time I'm looking for anime/manga that centers around or prominently features family.

Evangelion. :v:

On a more serious note, Summer Wars and The Wolf Children Ami and Yuki are both very family-themed.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Everyman posted:

The thread gave me some pretty amazing recommendations last time around, so I defer to your wisdom once again.

This time I'm looking for anime/manga that centers around or prominently features family. Genre doesn't matter much to me, so anything from Yotsuba and Usagi Drop to Stardust Crusaders would fit the bill. Hinamatsuri is another example with the father-daughter relationship between the two main characters. Something with a bad rear end parent as the lead or the kid(s) setting out for the sake of their family would be pretty great, too!

I'd like to avoid anything horribly depressing like Grave of the Fireflies. And Oreimo. For the love of God nothing like Oreimo. :gonk:

Have you been recommended Clannad and Clannad After Story yet? Because Clannad and Clannad After Story are pretty terrific family based series, hell most of the story is focused on parents and children. There is also a hilariously badass dad and although he's not a main character, he's one of the most important supporting characters.

This is your introduction to him.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

I actually had a friend discuss the entire plot to both with me just last week. :v: I'll likely give them a shot once I start to forget the details.

Paracelsus posted:

Evangelion. :v:

On a more serious note, Summer Wars and The Wolf Children Ami and Yuki are both very family-themed.

You joke but I'd seriously watch Eva again over Oreimo. I still can't believe someone honestly pitched that to me as a show about "complex sibling relationships". :gonk:

Your actual recommendations sound exactly what I'm looking for though. I hadn't even considered films, thanks!

Everyman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 8, 2014

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Everyman posted:

The Eccentric Family is a drama centered around a tanuki family that has fallen out of favour with society. It was one of my favourite shows from last year.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kyousougiga works too.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Everyman posted:

Kyousougiga sounds right up your alley.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Everyman posted:

I actually had a friend discuss the entire plot to both with me just last week. :v: I'll likely give them a shot once I start to forget the details.

You joke but I'd seriously watch Eva again over Oreimo. I still can't believe someone honestly pitched that to me as a show about "complex sibling relationships". :gonk:

I want to find out just who actually thought that Oreimo made for a good recommendation on any front. The only scene that I remember liking that I almost felt could make the show bearable was the scene on the third episode of the first season where the dad punches the poo poo out of the main character.

Regarding Clannad:
  • The family themes are really handled well.
  • Try to watch the show in small sittings.
  • The dad being talked about, Akio Furukawa, is voiced by Ryotarou Okiayu, who's basically using his super hot-blooded, robot-piloting voice whenever he's able to. He's one of the funniest dads in anime and it makes me glad that I watched this show.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Everyman posted:

my girl is usagi drop without weird stuff, oyaji is about a tough dad. try cooking papa too

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is the rest of the Cyber City OEDO dub as good as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ or should I go with subs?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The dub is superior

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

muike posted:

The dub is superior

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would normally never ever say this but..... Watch the dub. Make sure you get the version with the re-done soundtrack as well, it's way better.

Edit: If the opening is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZakDfseyo you're good.

If it sounds like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C8u6KKv5BM skip it and find the better one.

Actually the original opening isn't bad, but the rest of the soundtrack is much worse.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Everyman posted:

Here's some random ones off the top of my head. I take the "family" theme a little abstract sometimes but you'll find something good in here I bet.

Currently Airing

Barakamon
It's more of an older brother/younger sister type of deal but the show so far is pretty good. I haven't read the manga so I can't give any advice about that. Basic summary is that an arrogant rear end in a top hat calligrapher ends up living on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere and has amusing adventures and interactions with the locals. More of a "chosen family" sort of thing but I'd rate it as similar to Usagi Drop so far.

Drama/SoL

Aka-chan to Boku
A classic manga/show about a brother trying to live his life while dealing with the pressures placed upon him by his mothers death. It's been praised by many people for how realistic and well written the characters are. I personally prefer the Manga but the show is good if a bit dated animation wise.

Showa Monogatari
One of my favorite shows. A sort of low key historical drama about a Family during the Summer Olympics. Has a very good representation of the time period and of family dynamics.

Ie Naki Ko
1970's adaptation of the classic French novel Sans Famille. It can be depressing at times but a lot of people consider it a classic. It's about a wandering kid searching for family, both real and metaphorical. If animation quality is a dealbreaker for you, just skip this one and buy the book for ten bucks on amazon or something.

Kemono no Souja Erin
A drama show about a daughter aspiring to become like her mother. The fact that it takes place in a fantasy world filled with giant monsters is sort of secondary. It's cool to have a show that takes place in a fantasy setting but is primarily about normal people.

Comedy

Salaryman Kintaro
A famous biker gang leader honors his wifes dying wish to give up his violent ways and raise their child as a normal Salaryman. Things do not go according to plan. Anime is decent but manga is better IMHO.

Hanada Shounen-shi
A story about a kid living in small village who is a total rear end in a top hat to everybody until he gets run over by a truck and can see ghosts. It's way better than that description makes it sound. It's goofy, funny, sometimes a little serious and even a bit touching at times.

Action

Michiko to Hatchin
Sort of like Black Lagoon meets Samurai Champloo, or maybe Desert Punk if it didn't suck. Anime directed by women are unfortunately rare, and this is one of those that really captures the kind of relationship two sisters have (even if the characters aren't related). They made a choice to get two fairly well regarded dramatic actresses to voice the main characters and they do an amazing job. Also the setting is pretty unique outside of Gungrave (psuedo post apoc South America) which is a plus.

FMA:B
This show is, at its core, about family. It's certainly a driving theme of the entire thing, from the pair of brothers as the main characters to their relationship with their distant father, to the family ties and dynamics of the villains it sort of permeates everything about the show.

Comedy Option:
Just the Chimera episode of FMA:B

• Locked thread