Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Yodzilla posted:

Eh, that's pretty weak.

Whatshisface in this thread did better.

The Council of Ricks sticker should have been the t-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

VideoTapir posted:

I enjoy my licensed t-shirts like I enjoy my sex acts: kind of vague, and you only understand what it's about if you're explicitly aware of the subject.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

VideoTapir posted:

You wanna hate on Robot Chicken some more see if you can find the Dino Stamatopolous's commentary on season 3 of Moral Orel.

God drat...Robot Chicken is still running?
Break it down for us

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

VideoTapir posted:

Whatshisface in this thread did better.

Aw, thanks dude....I think?

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 3, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Alan Smithee posted:

Break it down for us

As I recall he did a bit of bitching about how Moral Orel was getting shut down (right as it was getting good), and how it was a labor of love, meanwhile next door Robot Chicken production is going full steam ahead and no one really gave a poo poo about it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

As I recall he did a bit of bitching about how Moral Orel was getting shut down (right as it was getting good), and how it was a labor of love, meanwhile next door Robot Chicken production is going full steam ahead and no one really gave a poo poo about it.
You can't make an episode like "Alone" and then act indignant when you get cancelled.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You can't make an episode like "Alone" and then act indignant when you get cancelled.

I think making good television gives you a perfect license to act indignant when you get cancelled, especially when bad television is getting made right next door with the full support of the network you're on.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think making good television gives you a perfect license to act indignant when you get cancelled, especially when bad television is getting made right next door with the full support of the network you're on.
Counterpoint:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

VideoTapir posted:

They obviously have some kind of pact or deal going on with Seth and his bigger Seth on Family guy. McFarlane probably helped the guy out in exchange for syndicating his show 20 times a night on adult swim. I mean poo poo, they even syndicate and promote the Cleveland show.

Moral Orel was art, it wasn't always good, but it was art and I'm sad it isn't being made because it confused and upset a lot of people during a networks experimental and weird time to show non standard programming. I liked Frankenhole too, but mainly for the style.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The fact that he feels this way isn't so much a counterpoint as it is a depressing realization that the show would have run longer if Dino hadn't made it too good too quickly for AS to be comfortable with.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You're right, making one of the best episodes of anything and getting canceled for it, why would anyone possibly have a chip on their shoulder?!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The problem is, AS actually wanted it too. They saw how season two ended and gave him the greenlight to go heavier. Then they saw Alone and totally backpedaled on it, deciding it was too heavy, and cancelled the show.

I mean, that's the general attitude toward Hollywood these days. You can do something stupid and repetitive and without care and continue, or you can take the risk of actually doing something different and interesting and beloved, and might still get canned because certain people don't get it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe if they hadn't wasted two seasons on dogshit "lol xians" humor before deciding to actually become a good show it would have lasted longer.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Frungy! posted:

drat, even the commercials are amazing.

That was pretty entertaining. Is this show worth watching?

It is light-hearted fun. Occasionally with bonus Roiland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lXF82UHy9Q

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I hear him popping up more and more in other shows, that is pretty cool. One of the bummer things was when people asked like how Roiland got started or what Dan Harmon saw in him to make a show, the answer was basically "I know this guy, he is cool" cause they hang out all the time. So it makes me wonder what other great shows and concepts are never being picked up simply because people don't know the right people or have the right friends. I'm glad Roiland didn't have to burn as many bridges trying stuff out and Dino did, cause a lot of early Roiland stuff is just really, really brutal and not anywhere near the level of Rick and Morty and it would have been a shame if he had to explore that on his "big stage" like Dino did.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I just connected the dots regarding David Cross voicing the leader of the aliens uncomfortable with nudity. Also, did anyone else notice Summer dusting an Emmy in Something Ricked This Way Comes? :v:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw, but they didn't get nominated. :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah but the newest tmnt cartoon did

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
And Futurama, which wasn't all that good in its last season but will probably win anyway because it's now fully dead for good.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PostNouveau posted:

And Futurama, which wasn't all that good in its last season but will probably win anyway because it's now fully dead for good.

Still has one more cancellation to go before it beats Family Guy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rocksicles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEvIvNBu-Y

Summer/Spencer is a loving babe... dayyyymmm

I just watched this, I'm really excited that Summer is going to be featured a lot in season two. She's a cool character and plays off both Rick and Morty well.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

it's Saying "Hi!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Maximum Overdrive?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Meets Harry Potter.

Meets Herbie the Love Bug.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The other half is on holiday with a friend who turns out to know Justin :swoon:

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

They are Hiring at the Canadian Studio for Layout Artist/Background Painter. Any Canadians want to work on Rick and Morty? You get to draw all the reverse angles of the living room all day. and color in all the horse paintings that Beth hangs on the walls.

http://www.canadiananimationresources.ca/?p=10321

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I started this a while ago, maybe posted it, but never finished it. Watching the show again kinda made me want too.

The Council of Rick's ship when viewed straight looks like a vagina.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 9, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Typical posted:

They are Hiring at the Canadian Studio for Layout Artist/Background Painter. Any Canadians want to work on Rick and Morty? You get to draw all the reverse angles of the living room all day. and color in all the horse paintings that Beth hangs on the walls.

Let me know when you open a Michigan studio! :D

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Typical posted:

Do you guys switch up the angles a lot? I know I was watching the first season of American Dad and noticed the characters didn't stay on model the whole time, they animated very fluid and the angles and shots of the house would reflect this, you would get a lot of interesting angles and perspectives, but then in the newer ones it all looks like they are standing in static pre-rendered backgrounds and retain their same 2D perspective. Is that just a cost cutting measure?

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

The production methods were different when american dad first started. it was hand drawn back then, so the the animators drew each scene slightly different. They also had to draw by hand each additional background based on the storyboard. so it didn't really track like a camera going around a real room. and it wasn't really any extra work to draw new backgrounds at crazy angles. because they were already doing it constantly.

Now a days in prime time animation, characters are built out of pre made puppets, so they stay on model all the time unless the screen direction calls for some really weird angles. most audiences don't enjoy looking at hand drawn animation for adult cartoons. so things naturally got really rigid and overly stock. The backgrounds are still hand drawn in most prime time animation. but they are done on a computer. so its a lot easier to match up the angles and get them to feel really real. Some times they model a 3D version of the room or background, which you then trace and it keeps things pretty believable. Most of the time its better to hand draw it though because animation is all smoke and Mirrors. they cheat all the angles and the perspectives to make the rooms bigger and to make composition read more clearly so that the story flows.

Do they change up the angles a lot? yes. sort of. it really depends on the screen direction. if the family is sitting at the table doing nothing. then there is no reason to draw an interesting angle. But if aliens break in and start shooting up the place, that's when you pull out the big guns and draw all the dynamic shots.

Its an interesting compromise between stream lining the art digitally and trying to keep everything still feel very hand made and imperfect. you have to walk a very thin like in keeping things drawn well. but also not turn into a computer and keep some of the hand made aspects in the characters. The imperfections is what makes it appealing.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I started this a while ago, maybe posted it, but never finished it. Watching the show again kinda made me want too.

The Council of Rick's ship when viewed straight looks like a vagina.

That is awesome!

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
You don't even know how happy I am that butterbot is in there. Nicely done sir.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Butterbot owns.

Thank you guys!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

CelticPredator posted:

Butterbot owns.

Thank you guys!

Did you make that for the show or something? It looks like a legit poster, like they should have been handing those out at Comic Con instead of that shirt that looked weird and awkward.

Man, I'm going to print my own if it ain't available anywhere, you got a higher res?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aw poo poo. Thanks man. No, just for fun.

Here's the highest rez.

http://i.imgur.com/0VR2vrV.jpg Print away good sir.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 10, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Wish you had posted that a few days ago before I left my job, so I could print up a 3mx1.6m version

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is the council of rick's vagina ship in the poster or did you just mention that for us to look forward to some yonic symbolism in a future episode?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Has this been posted yet?

http://bigadam.tumblr.com/post/85407561193/forgot-to-post-these-here-made-a-butter-bot-from

He made a Meeseeks box as well:

Krinkle posted:

Is the council of rick's vagina ship in the poster or did you just mention that for us to look forward to some yonic symbolism in a future episode?

I assume CP meant this:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 10, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I didn't even see it and then dismiss it as not being vagina-like enough. I was looking for ships but only saw the small ones in profile. My brain glossed over it because it was in the spot where a t-shirt logo would be and therefore couldn't possibly matter as I pored over every other part of the poster. The brain is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You're never going to earn your vagina spotter badge if you keep this up

Edit: more things! Post all the things!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 10, 2014

• Locked thread