Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Aaod posted:

I think my record was a six second difference between one of us dying and the game registering the other persons death. As it is now I fairly routinely die from shots fired two seconds ago when I am now in cover.

Yeah, I'm pretty used to that one. I can't count the number of times I've died 5 steps into the spawn shields. This was new for me, both of those trades were situations where I was ADSing and shooting them in the face (ie, they should die in ~0.5s) for 3-4 seconds straight before they killed me - then after that my bullets finally decided to register.

I just don't understand how you can release an FPS and then break the core feature of an FPS, bullets hitting targets. :soe:

How bad is AMD/ATI's raptr shadowplay rip-off? I'm tempted to start running it so I can record how idiotic the server issues in the game are and show them to Smedley on twitter daily until they're fixed.

edit: Does anyone have the IP address for Emerald? I'd like to look at latency along the path to the server.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Klowns posted:

There was a Galaxy hovering over the spawn today trying to keep us camped with bulldogs so I switched to a Heavy and pulled my Lancer to shoot him through the top shield. He had no idea where the shots were coming from and the bulldog shooters just started spraying the whole area around the spawn room.

I know a lot of people never look up but if people don't realize you can shoot through the spawn room ceiling they are going to be really surprised next patch when they open them up even more.

Shooting through the top of the spawn room onto the roofs at TI Alloys is a big part of how I managed to aurax the Gauss Rifle Burst

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Bull is awesome, it's at least as good as the NS-15M at the same general role. It's just way too expensive, is all.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

The Bull is awesome, it's at least as good as the NS-15M at the same general role. It's just way too expensive, is all.

If The Bull had 0.75x ADS like the 15M I wouldn't ever use another TR LMG. I really liked using it, My KDuR isn't quite as good as it is with the CARV-S (that +50RoF really matters) but it was really good at projecting damage out to midrange.

I had trouble with two guns when I was using the Bull, the Orion and the Anchor - everything else was pretty easy to take down.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Just started playing this a couple days ago, and have been having fun despite being terrible, probably gonna stick with it. Is the subscription worth it or should I just stay with a free account? Didn't see anything about it in the OP.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

Just started playing this a couple days ago, and have been having fun despite being terrible, probably gonna stick with it. Is the subscription worth it or should I just stay with a free account? Didn't see anything about it in the OP.

Subscription is worth it if you see yourself playing for a while. If you put down $75 for the six-month pack you're automatically bumped up to Auraxium level subscription, which means 50% extra XP (which stacks with other bonuses like boosts, squad boosts, and population bonus), 50% extra resources, and 48 higbycare certs a day, as well as 500 SC a month.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...
Skipping the wait for switching continents is totally worth the subscription fee.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010
The subscription is worth it if you're going to be playing this on any sort of regular basis. Benefits are outlined here:

https://www.planetside2.com/membership

tldr: priority queues, some smedbux, faster cert and resource gain, some random crap.

Pretty useful stuff, not necessary to play, but nice to have, and generally a good deal. Figure out how much you like and will play the game before grabbing it.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...
Waiting is for suckers.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I can't speak for Emerald, but on Mattherson and Connery I never had to wait more than ~5 minutes without a sub, and it was almost always under a one minute. Not really a huge deal.

I do find that my resources never run out ever since subbing though. That may become even more valuable with the upcoming resource changes. And the double exp weekends are a fantastic opportunity to occasionally spend a couple days poopsocking for a million certs. Killing one infantry dude and getting like 1800xp for it with double exp + booster + sub bonus feels so good. Even doing stupid poo poo like destroying terminals feels worthwhile. Over 100xp a tick for repairing a squad MAX? Hell yeah.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Come patch day your resource income will be 90 per minute instead of 60 if you are a max rank member. Been taking a break from the game until the new July update is out (in August).

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Tonight BAX was doing some really good room holds and generally making VS look like fools so when i killed a bax LA loving knifing a group of 6 VS to death i sent him a tell complaining about the horrible loving VS. I'm not sure but i think he took it as a rage tell haha. Theres nothing more frustrating then watching a loving line of BAX come in behind everyone while your stuck with a loving lasher trying to kill them while everyone ignores them.

Emerald VS has basically become TR, all the good VS outfits will be on the same cont while other conts are basically purple AOD. Watching 4 loving NC hold off 2 squads of VS because no one wants to loving enter the building is so goddamn annoying.

One funny thing i learned tonight is the best way to kill medic balls is to throw 4 AV nades but stagger them, the first 1 kills someone, the 2nd kills the medics, the 3rd kills the rez nade and the 4th kills the other medics. I did this today to bax repeatedly and would follow up with a lasher to the roof and get even more kills.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Lagchat: Since the merger, I've quizzed a few, and the Eurogoons in GOKU are definitely feeling the lag more. It's usually when you're trying to flee being shot, because you know if you take the time to locate the enemy, you'll die, but you make it to cover then die anyway slightly afterward. The other common one is instagibbing as you hear the weapon.

It becomes especially prevalent fighting shielded heavies, to the point I'm just changing my playstyle to accomodate and spending a lot more time as Medic or ambush LA.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate that I can't use shotguns as an infiltrator. I can use SMGs, why not shotguns. Same principle.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I hate that I can't use shotguns as an infiltrator. I can use SMGs, why not shotguns. Same principle.

People would get really mad if they were one-shot by a recently uncloaked infiltrator with a shotgun.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Vargs posted:

I can't speak for Emerald, but on Mattherson and Connery I never had to wait more than ~5 minutes without a sub, and it was almost always under a one minute. Not really a huge deal.

Even after the Emerald merger I've never been deeper then 16th in queue for a jump without having membership, and that's basically enough time to jump to an Amp station and repair a turret or two. Since I work weekends I don't get to partake in the monthly double XP events, though I'll probably pick up a six month booster next time they are half off.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Cloaking infantry who can put out motion trackers with 1HK weapons in a game with client-side hit detection?! Woohoo! It'd make them 1 v 1 murder machines, especially with the new detector dong.
The SMGs aren't bad at all anyway.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

o muerte posted:

So, game performance:

Yeah, great server performance there SOE. Real fun. Both of those kill trades should have been slam dunks for me about 3s before the opposing party scored a kill. SOE decided that my bullets shouldn't register for a full 5s, and that other guy should finally take full damage 2s after he's killed me. Quality hit registration right there I tell you. (No, I wasn't running a high ping or losing packets.)

Has this been much more prevalent for anyone else recently? Hit reg has been really, really screwed up for the last couple weeks for me.

In 48:48 fights the last couple of weeks the only thing I really bother doing is medic/pocket engi or sniper shitter because the shonky hit detection on top of my already "meh" ping makes winning any kind of 1v1 fight basically impossible.

Dumping half a mag into someones head and still losing the fight and having the death screen show the other guy as having full health has not been an uncommon occurrence.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 4, 2014

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Erata posted:

Cloaking infantry who can put out motion trackers with 1HK weapons in a game with client-side hit detection?! Woohoo! It'd make them 1 v 1 murder machines, especially with the new detector dong.
The SMGs aren't bad at all anyway.

I mean, SMGs kill from point blank in like .5s anyways, is it just a stigma with a 1HK because they have loving 1HK sniper rifles.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I mean, SMGs kill from point blank in like .5s anyways, is it just a stigma with a 1HK because they have loving 1HK sniper rifles.

I'm not sure. For me, it's more an issue with the detection ability than it is the cloaking ability.
I'd be ok with seeing how it actually played out, but afaik, in CQC, there's just enough lag that if you know where someone is coming, you'll murder them with your shotgun without taking a scratch.

On their screen, they'll see you begin to pass the corner as they die, since you shot them already with your automatic shotgun or whatever. At least that's how it generally works, but sometimes lag will be so horrific that it's a toss-up.

It is confusing at this point though, huh? Especially since they'll be adding the Aurax SMG for NC use, which might as well be a shotgun with better range.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Because if you're playing with any sort of latency, Infiltrators already open fire before the model decloaks anyway, so adding a Shotgun to the mix would actually make them effectively able to murder you from cloak. Yes, it's a variance of degrees, but it's an important degree.

In fact, flip it around; If SMG's kill so quickly it's irrelevant anyway, why would you want/need the Shotgun? :v:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Let's be honest, if an infil jumps you with a Blitz or Sirius while you're reloading or switching guns, they're almost guaranteed a kill if they can put their crosshair sort of on you. Any other gun would be empty, leaving them reloading after spraying wildly.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

So both Ceres and Woodman lost both their smashes?

I am clearly bad, that's where my two highest ranked characters are

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arghy posted:

Tonight BAX was doing some really good room holds and generally making VS look like fools so when i killed a bax LA loving knifing a group of 6 VS to death i sent him a tell complaining about the horrible loving VS. I'm not sure but i think he took it as a rage tell haha. Theres nothing more frustrating then watching a loving line of BAX come in behind everyone while your stuck with a loving lasher trying to kill them while everyone ignores them.

Emerald VS has basically become TR, all the good VS outfits will be on the same cont while other conts are basically purple AOD. Watching 4 loving NC hold off 2 squads of VS because no one wants to loving enter the building is so goddamn annoying.

One funny thing i learned tonight is the best way to kill medic balls is to throw 4 AV nades but stagger them, the first 1 kills someone, the 2nd kills the medics, the 3rd kills the rez nade and the 4th kills the other medics. I did this today to bax repeatedly and would follow up with a lasher to the roof and get even more kills.

Yeah, this is kind of what I've been noticing.

It seems that the VS being top dogs for so long has convinced a whole bunch of people to swarm the faction to be the winners. Cue the quality of the faction as a whole dropping dramatically, especially when you add in the Waterson merge.

The quality of pubbies between each side is drastic. On NC you'll get rezzed, ammo will be thrown for you, people will try to set up chokepoints, we have pubbie guilds in orders literally asking GOON where to bring their zergs, etc. On my VS I never get rezzed, never get ammo, never see tanks/ESF unless it's an outfit, and it's usually loving Cert Farmers bringing in useless PPAs to farm rather then trying to get rid of the Vanguard zerg.

If DA/GOKU took a week off, the Vanu would probably be gated daily, especially with how much sheer cultural hatred the NC have towards the VS due to the hacking sprees at launch/smash/ZOE/PPAs.

It's kind of why I secretly wish GOKU choose the TR to switch to after stuff happened. DA/GOKU by itself is a tough group to beat but it's doable. DA plus GOKU turns in to a farm and we might as well leave, which is currently the Vanus only real way of stopping any other group with how bad it's pubbies are. So if GOKU had rolled TR, and DA was Vanu? Each faction would have a strong outfit able to counter each other, and presumably the fights would be far more intense fun. Whenever GOKU rolls their FRZA guys the map tends to show this to, with everyone suddenly getting stuck in a much more fun war of attrition near the middle.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 4, 2014

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rookersh posted:

It seems that the VS being top dogs for so long has convinced a whole bunch of people to swarm the faction to be the winners. Cue the quality of the faction as a whole dropping dramatically, especially when you add in the Waterson merge.

The quality of pubbies between each side is drastic. On NC you'll get rezzed, ammo will be thrown for you, people will try to set up chokepoints, we have pubbie guilds in orders literally asking GOON where to bring their zergs, etc. On my VS I never get rezzed, never get ammo, never see tanks/ESF unless it's an outfit, and it's usually loving Cert Farmers bringing in useless PPAs to farm rather then trying to get rid of the Vanguard zerg.

If DA/GOKU took a week off, the Vanu would probably be gated daily, especially with how much sheer cultural hatred the NC have towards the VS due to the hacking sprees at launch/smash/ZOE/PPAs.

It's kind of why I secretly wish GOKU choose the TR to switch to after stuff happened. DA/GOKU by itself is a tough group to beat but it's doable. DA plus GOKU turns in to a farm and we might as well leave, which is currently the Vanus only real way of stopping any other group with how bad it's pubbies are. So if GOKU had rolled TR, and DA was Vanu? Each faction would have a strong outfit able to counter each other, and presumably the fights would be far more intense fun. Whenever GOKU rolls their FRZA guys the map tends to show this to, with everyone suddenly getting stuck in a much more fun war of attrition near the middle.

Waterson brought a lot of pants on head retarded VS outfits. Pop data from when the VS starts to get the highest percentage showed that TR and NC just quit, they didn't switch factions.

With enough people that there are large fights on 3 continents at a time you'll get these perfect storms where all of the worst (insert faction here) outfits are on the same continent together. See VS on esamir last night.

What's driving me mad are the waterson outfits that have command muted and loving /tell each other. I guess I just need to use the text part of the command channel now but it's annoying to try and type while shooting space men. OPSEC is reallllly important guys! If we're sneaky we can outmaneuver the outfits that have VS spies in command but are unable to read a heat map! (I know they probably just got sick of trolls in command but it's easy enough to mute them one by one)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Its all about outfits, if the VS is in an outfit theres a chance they are above average players but if they're randos holy crap its pants on head stupid. GOKU usually has good players and outfits fighting alongside us so what you have is a concentration of skill and coordination while in some other battle its make AOD look good day. I've been noticing this from the other sides to, we'll either fight abuncha idiots and wipe the floor with them or a familiar outfit will show up and the fight will get hard.

After spending a day in AOD i quickly realized that joining AOD is no better then lone wolfing it unless you actually bother to get on voice coms. They need to add incentives to join outfits and actually succeed as an outfit. Make being a PL worth a gently caress ton of certs so more people want to step up and lead, add a cert pool so joining a good platoon gives you an exp bonus. A ghost capping platoon would give no exp bonus while a platoon that keeps a better then average SPM has a 10% exp bonus--bounce that poo poo up to 20-30% if they are doing drat good.

Give the PL a personal exp boost for filling up his squads/platoon, add a little assist thing like pilots have so for every kill your platoon makes the PL gets 20-30 exp. You want PLing to be crazy good as in everyone wants to loving be a PL but if the platoon is doing poo poo then no one would want to stay so he wont get exp. A democracy where players are encouraged to join a good platoon and PL's are encouraged to keep the platoon busy and entertained.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shockeh posted:

Because if you're playing with any sort of latency, Infiltrators already open fire before the model decloaks anyway, so adding a Shotgun to the mix would actually make them effectively able to murder you from cloak. Yes, it's a variance of degrees, but it's an important degree.

In fact, flip it around; If SMG's kill so quickly it's irrelevant anyway, why would you want/need the Shotgun? :v:

Sometimes in bio-labs, I'll hunt down a Light Assault as an Infiltrator and while they're sitting behind some cover lining up a shot or something, I'll decloak behind them and just brutalize them like I'm Predator. I suppose SMGs are more visceral compared to a shotgun so I'm cool wit it

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Well, at that range probably the quickest kill is Commish/Knife, which will kill them before they even hear the gunshot.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I don't get where these outfits find enough members they can field a couple of squads at 11am euro time on an american server.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shockeh posted:

Well, at that range probably the quickest kill is Commish/Knife, which will kill them before they even hear the gunshot.

Knife got nerfed to 500dmg so the combo only kills Infiltrators now, sorry. Use the crossbow or get good at Rebel headshots.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

hemale in pain posted:

I don't get where these outfits find enough members they can field a couple of squads at 11am euro time on an american server.

Probably because they're European players.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shockeh posted:

I have a 150 ping to emerald and every time I end up in a 1v1 with an infiltrator, I hear the decloak noise, take a shitload of damage from them while they're still invisible to me, then they flicker into existence just in time for me to fall over dead.

If infils had shotguns I don't think I'd ever see another one again.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Thats not really a ping issue so much as it is the really bad hit detection right now. Damage stacking and all is very bad, its server side, not client side. Earlier I unloaded on a guy and killed him without him ever breaking the sprint animation. 5 seconds later while I'm walking away I hear "pingpingping" and get killed by him.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Hit detection is atrocious and may eventually be what drives me away from the game. I understand it's a massive game and all that but 20-40% of bullets people fire should not just be disappearing. Seriously go try out any gun in VR and then see how well firing the same amount of bullets works against an actual player. Even accounting for COF and movement there's clearly something hosed there.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

NihilCredo posted:

Knife got nerfed to 500dmg so the combo only kills Infiltrators now, sorry. Use the crossbow or get good at Rebel headshots.
Psssst, channel your inner Elusive1 and use the Ghost/SAS-R/TSAR and knife combo at point blank range. It's basically like having a pump, and the decloak-shoot-knife combo doesn't even require you to ADS! :ssh:

Aaod
May 29, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

With enough people that there are large fights on 3 continents at a time you'll get these perfect storms where all of the worst (insert faction here) outfits are on the same continent together. See VS on esamir last night.

As one person described it watching two people magdump each other reload and then try it again before one of them dies. Agreed on the VR to live comparison. In VR I am all wait... the person is dead already? But I only fired 3-5 shots? On live it is more like 5-9.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gaghskull posted:

Probably because they're European players.

Well yea, but I'd hope europeans are usually busy at 11.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

Socialism, baby. And it's a bank holiday in the UK today.

Edit: No Goon TR presence on Emerald? Shame.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 4, 2014

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Hav posted:

Socialism, baby. And it's a bank holiday in the UK today.

Er, what? No it isn't.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shockeh posted:

Er, what? No it isn't.

Apologies, I think my calendar is screwed up. I'm not in the UK, but I maintain a (bad) calendar of vacations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah it's around the time they have morning sex.

• Locked thread