Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
This SCG Open sure is making Legacy look appealing, with boring control deck with Brainstorm losing over and over again to slightly-less-boring aggro deck with Brainstorm and Tarmogoyf. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ungulateman posted:

This SCG Open sure is making Legacy look appealing, with boring control deck with Brainstorm losing over and over again to slightly-less-boring aggro deck with Brainstorm and Tarmogoyf. :barf:

Jeff Hoogland had a recent article which drew a lot of fire where he said Legacy wasn't worth playing because every deck was Brainstorm and Force of will.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oraculum Animi posted:

It just took forever and it felt like he was dead halfway through each game but just refused to die and then didn't even make a big come back, just whimpered.

He would have won game two had that Entreat resolved

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
^That's probably true but I just don't like the deck. Bias taints my words.

Angry Grimace posted:

Jeff Hoogland had a recent article which drew a lot of fire where he said Legacy wasn't worth playing because every deck was Brainstorm and Force of will.

He's not wrong. Rarely you see an elf, infect, or combo deck that doesn't rely on Brainstorming to get some answer to an answer your opponent is using to get you off a lone red source.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 4, 2014

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
High Tide is the deck with the most flavor if you think about it in terms of two wizards hurling spells out each other. One mage reads his spell book, slowly at first, then stops and thinks about what he's read, then starts back at the beginning and reads that part again but then reads a little further, then starts over again. Every time he thinks about what he's read, he grows a little more powerful. He reads and reads and reads until he's finished the book, starts it a final time, and he commands his opponent to read their spell book without stopping.

The opposing mage reads his spell book as commanded, but never stops to consider what it is he's reading. He reads the book too quickly. His mind can't process this kind of knowledge. Without realizing, he reaches the end of the book and closes it, but he continues to flip his hand through the air as if turning pages. His stare becomes unblinking and a small dribble of foam slips from his lip.

Sep 13, 2007

End of Life Guy posted:

High Tide is the deck with the most flavor if you think about it in terms of two wizards hurling spells out each other. One mage reads his spell book, slowly at first, then stops and thinks about what he's read, then starts back at the beginning and reads that part again but then reads a little further. Every time he thinks about what he's read, he grows a little more powerful. He reads and reads and reads until he's finished the book, starts it a final time, and he commands his opponent to read their spell book without stopping.

The opposing mage reads his spell book as commanded, but never stops to consider what it is he's reading. He reads the book too quickly. His mind can't process this kind of knowledge. Without realizing, he reaches the end of the book and closes it, but he continues to flip his hand through the air as if turning pages. His stare becomes unblinking and a small dribble of foam slips from his lip.

I've only seen Feline play High Tide on SCG and I've never seen her get very far.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Oraculum Animi posted:

I've only seen Feline play High Tide on SCG and I've never seen her get very far.

I stood over a guy at SCG Dallas today who took a 19 minute turn 1 of turns that won the game. It was like he was conducting a symphony. Really beautiful stuff.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I have to say that I am a little surprised at how crazy low the female representation is in the competitive Magic scene. Its basically Melissa DeTora and nobody.

Sep 13, 2007

End of Life Guy posted:

I stood over a guy at SCG Dallas today who took a 19 minute turn 1 of turns that won the game. It was like he was conducting a symphony. Really beautiful stuff.

I really need to just go to a big tournament and experience it. I've only been to LGS casual play stuff. Hell, I live relatively close between Richmond and Roanoke.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Twice, judges that were watching the game presented the match slip to the battlefield after they mistook a time spiral to a concession.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ungulateman posted:

Thoughtseize+Pack Rat or Rev+Verdict is infinitely more fun. Don't even get me started on how much fun it is never being able to tap out on turn 3 in modern because you'll probably just die to a combo. But man, those Deathrites sure were oppressive.

Any game with Miracles in it is going to be boring. Either they stop everything you do and you die to 5 instant speed angels after half an hour or they stop almost everything and you Shock them to death with a Deathrite. Miracles aside, I've never had nearly as much fun playing Magic as when I play legacy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I've always wondered how degenerate combos are handled at pro tournaments. Do they just say, "I'm about to go off on Scapeshift/Storm/whatever" or do they actually execute every single play?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Angry Grimace posted:

I've always wondered how degenerate combos are handled at pro tournaments. Do they just say, "I'm about to go off on Scapeshift/Storm/whatever" or do they actually execute every single play?

If it's a well-known combo finish, the opponent usually concedes once it resolves. Otherwise the combo player demonstrates how the combo wins the game, using shortcuts as appropriate.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

ungulateman posted:

If it's a well-known combo finish, the opponent usually concedes once it resolves. Otherwise the combo player demonstrates how the combo wins the game, using shortcuts as appropriate.
Or if you have doubts if they can actually win (Scapeshift) you can let them play it out.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I don't know what deck it was or what format, but my favorite story when it comes to combos was a guy winning several rounds in a tourney by pretty much saying "I do the combo and win. Next game?". One of his opponents decided to make him play the combo out, and it turned out he didn't actually know how to do the combo and lost. :v:

Sep 13, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

I don't know what deck it was or what format, but my favorite story when it comes to combos was a guy winning several rounds in a tourney by pretty much saying "I do the combo and win. Next game?". One of his opponents decided to make him play the combo out, and it turned out he didn't actually know how to do the combo and lost. :v:

That sounds common. When I run into an EDH that has an infinite combo and they're like "Okay I have infinite mana" I actually want to know what they're win condition is. Tell me how you are going to win don't just make the game unfun by playing a degenerative combo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Hulk Flash at GP Columbus. I forget who it was playing the deck but he had borrowed it from a friend and Owen Turtenwald makes him play it out

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

BUG Delver vs Counterbalance.

Where's Death and Taxes when you want it :sigh:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I guess the women of white are on their coffee break.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AgentSythe posted:

Hulk Flash at GP Columbus. I forget who it was playing the deck but he had borrowed it from a friend and Owen Turtenwald makes him play it out

Note: that guy won the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCgg8LGKyw8

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

IIRC there was a Dragonstorm combo deck that made top 8 without actually having any dragons in it. It turns out that adding an extra 4 slots of counters and anti-hate cards made the deck unbearably strong as long as nobody actually forced you to finish the combo.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC there was a Dragonstorm combo deck that made top 8 without actually having any dragons in it. It turns out that adding an extra 4 slots of counters and anti-hate cards made the deck unbearably strong as long as nobody actually forced you to finish the combo.

Seriously? I mean, you might as well see the fireworks go off for that combo at least. Nothing quite like landing four different dragons down and it's quick too.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Woo, a Floch win!

Must have been a pretty sweet PT experience overall for Cunningham too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lunsku posted:

Woo, a Floch win!

Must have been a pretty sweet PT experience overall for Cunningham too.

Except for, you know, this part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ueErB8bms&list=UU8ZGymAvfP97qJabgqUkz4A#t=45m

He's gonna hear about that one for a long time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Except for, you know, this part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ueErB8bms&list=UU8ZGymAvfP97qJabgqUkz4A#t=45m

He's gonna hear about that one for a long time.

I'm on my phone, describe it to me.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is a pretty famous story of LSV getting absurdly far in a tournament where he just completely forgot to put Tendrils in his deck. I think he t16 that one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Conversely, Modern is not worth playing because it does not have Brainstorm (or good filtering).

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mezzanon posted:

I'm on my phone, describe it to me.

qbert posted:

Cunningham attacks with Advent token with Selesnya Charm in hand. Ichikawa blocks with his 4/4 Scooze. He has the option to pump it to 6/6, but instead just pumps to 5/5 and passes priority. Cunningham Charms, trying to exile the Ooze. Ichikawa responds with Golgari Charm to give everything -1/-1, Selesnya Charm fizzles, he then pumps the Ooze to 5/5 again, beating the Wurm token.

Really great heads-up play by Ichikawa.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Has a date been set for the Khans prerelease?

As an aside, sixteen copies of Eater of the Dead showed up in the mail today. I am very confused.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Alris posted:

As an aside, sixteen copies of Eater of the Dead showed up in the mail today. I am very confused.

I've always thought that card had some awesome art. Shame about the power level. Actually, if not for the mana cost, it'd be a pretty legit ability in some circumstances. Seems like if they printed it today they could make it 3 mana, or even 2 mana at rare.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Niton posted:

Oh it's just that? I don't see why Cunningham will be hearing about that. It's not like he horribly misplayed, Ichikawa just made a sick nasty play.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

JerryLee posted:

I've always thought that card had some awesome art. Shame about the power level. Actually, if not for the mana cost, it'd be a pretty legit ability in some circumstances. Seems like if they printed it today they could make it 3 mana, or even 2 mana at rare.

Secret Phenax tech I guess...?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Alris posted:

Secret Phenax tech I guess...?

That would be pretty awesome if it was power rather than toughness or something, as it'd give you a decent chance at going infinite.

If mill wasn't bad and Eater was legal in any format where the decks would be mostly creatures. :v:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Ramos posted:

Seriously? I mean, you might as well see the fireworks go off for that combo at least. Nothing quite like landing four different dragons down and it's quick too.

When I play Dragonstorm you only need storm count of 2 before the original to be lethal. Bogardan Hellkite, Thundermaw Hellkite, Karthus Tyrant of Jund is 22 with very little chance of blockers. UR Dragonstorm has been my favorite deck in the game of Magic since it won Worlds.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Micromancer posted:

When I play Dragonstorm you only need storm count of 2 before the original to be lethal. Bogardan Hellkite, Thundermaw Hellkite, Karthus Tyrant of Jund is 22 with very little chance of blockers. UR Dragonstorm has been my favorite deck in the game of Magic since it won Worlds.

They're talking about the original tournament Dragonstorm deck, when it was some combination of Hellkites or Hunted Dragons for the win. Dragonstorm already wasn't a competitive deck in any format by the time Karthus came out.

(At least, I don't think so. Watch someone prove me wrong.)

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

JerryLee posted:

They're talking about the original tournament Dragonstorm deck, when it was some combination of Hellkites or Hunted Dragons for the win. Dragonstorm already wasn't a competitive deck in any format by the time Karthus came out.

(At least, I don't think so. Watch someone prove me wrong.)

Dragonstorm is definitely worse than Grapeshot storm, the hand sculpting necessary to prevent drawing dragons resorts to See Beyond and Telling Time. It can steal games if they don't Path your electromancer, but more often than not, you are T4.5 and vulnerable to even light disruption.

No one will prove you wrong :)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Alris posted:

Fall set pre-releases are always the last week of September iirc, a week before the set comes out in October.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niton posted:

It really sucked that he lost after that. It was just a bad matchup for his deck.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 4, 2014

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Alris posted:

20-21 september

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Since Liverpool jas had a GP announced for March, I'm planning on attending my first ever GP!

the question is: Do I attend and play, or do I apply to judge at the event?

• Locked thread