Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Toriori posted:

Why is it so difficult for ~Internet celebs~ to just say "my apologies if I offended anyone. It wasn't my intent, and my choice of words was poor so as an adult I will admit that, and will take this all as a learning experience."

That's a lot of self-awareness in that post though. You're requiring ~Internet celebs~ to be able to comprehend that it's not some nebulous PC Police deciding that they can't say these words anymore in an effort to make their lives more complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Idiots on Social Media: A Personal Vendetta Against Thought

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

RareAcumen posted:

That's a lot of self-awareness in that post though. You're requiring ~Internet celebs~ to be able to comprehend that it's not some nebulous PC Police deciding that they can't say these words anymore in an effort to make their lives more complicated.

Yeah, I love the whole "PC POLICE" :qq: argument as a deflection from just being an rear end in a top hat. Theres so many other words you can use without putting a group of people down.Maybe that fat slob should get a thesaurus, it's free online.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

kannonfodder posted:

OK? They played some dumb games? Jon and Arin did too. I just meant that Danny is much funnier (tells jokes that aren't just screaming and making funny noises), and having Ross mixes stuff up nicely.

eh. to each their own or whatever. gg died with jon, imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Which one of the fat manbaby Game Grumps was it that shat themselves on camera and didn't edit it out?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Excels posted:

eh. to each their own or whatever. gg died with jon, imo

True, it is all personal taste, but I just feel like the chemistry between the new cast is way better. There were a handful of episodes near the end of Jon's time where Arin seemed like he was getting genuinely mad at Jon, but kept his cool for the show.

Lol a black person makes more money than me. Racism is over.
VVVV

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Aug 4, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

anyway

this person goes on and on for some time

kirbysuperstar posted:

Which one of the fat manbaby Game Grumps was it that shat themselves on camera and didn't edit it out?

literally just posted that video dude.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Excels posted:

literally just posted that video dude.

I'm an idiot, apologies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The recent backlash over the word "retarded" is really dumb. Moronic, even, maybe even imbecilic.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hedera Helix posted:

Organic farming uses a shitton of pesticides and fertilizers, but they're ~natural~ ~organic~ ~Earth-friendly~ ~sustainable~ ~wholesome~ ~gluten-free~ ~chakra-balancing~ ~wholistic~ ~cures cancer, HIV, and depression~ pesticides and fertilizers, so it must be okay to not list them

So you're saying Organic Strawberry should have wads of poo poo listed as an ingredient?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

don't they just slap the word "organic" on everything now? like i don't even know what the word MEANS in terms of what the product can offer me anymore

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Excels posted:

don't they just slap the word "organic" on everything now? like i don't even know what the word MEANS in terms of what the product can offer me anymore

Pretty much. The word has zero actual value anymore.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

we probably pulled this out of dirt at some point. it is hella organic, poo poo is so organic it has seeds in it.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Excels posted:

we probably pulled this out of dirt at some point. it is hella organic, poo poo is so organic it has seeds in it.

I think organic basically means it was a carbon based life form at some point.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

M_Sinistrari posted:

If I remember rightly, a lot of the organic pesticides that get used are often more toxic than the synthetic pesticides.

I have a friend who works making pesticides and he gets sooooo mad about this stuff. Basically he and his coworkers spend their entire days dedicating millions of dollars in budgets trying to engineer the absolute safest, most specialized and frankly intensely over engineered chemicals on the planet only to have people turn around and curse them for their deadly chemical spraying. And while there are a shitload of problems with pesticides (see: the bee issue) its nothing like how bad it was back in the 1970's which is how most people think pesticides still are. DDT was a huge wakeup call for that industry because contrary to popular belief their goal is to not poison people because dead people or people who get sick from your chemically treated food rarely buy more of those things. I cant imagine what it would be like to be in another fast moving industry and still be judged based on how you did business 45 years ago (Gad dangit IBM, I cant load my Facebook with all these Punchcards!).

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

DemeaninDemon posted:

So you're saying Organic Strawberry should have wads of poo poo listed as an ingredient?

The ingredients list for the conventional strawberry consisted of pesticides and fungicides used on it*, so it would only be fair that the organic strawberry would have the ones used there. Although, even then, having them be listed as "ingredients", as opposed to "pesticides used in production", implies that the fruit consists entirely of pyrethroids and neonicotinoids. It would also help to have the total amounts used, and amounts per fruit, just as a comparison.

If the image maker is trying to say that nothing was applied to keep insects, pest animals, and blight away from the organic crops... they're either lying, wholly mistaken, or else these fields were decimated before harvest time.

*: No sources are used for what's standard for strawberry crops, so the list could have been invented whole cloth.

Hedera Helix has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Aug 4, 2014

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

"Kids died so I'm allowed to call a game console retarded"

The best (worst) thing is that this is what started the whole argument.

Politely asking someone to not use the word 'retarded' is a very radical statement, apparently.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Silly Voodoo posted:

The best (worst) thing is that this is what started the whole argument.

Politely asking someone to not use the word 'retarded' is a very radical statement, apparently.

Every middle-class white guy on the Internet listened to George Carlin as a teenager and got convinced being an rear end in a top hat was a political statement.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The organic strawberry looks like it would glow that exact same colour in the dark.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

M_Sinistrari posted:

Here's some of the latest shares from the crazies on my facebook, sorry if any are repeats.

I want to make one of these, but instead of herbicide/insecticide/fungicide names, put the chemical names of the compounds inside the fruit itself, like so:

And then see how far it gets.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

The best part of this whole thing?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I want to make one of these, but instead of herbicide/insecticide/fungicide names, put the chemical names of the compounds inside the fruit itself, like so:
I honestly thought that's what it was and the poster didn't get the joke.

So clearly you have to make one with the compound list on the left and one on the right just saying "ingredients: apple"; same picture for both, just one mirrored and with the saturation turned up, and see where that pops up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I honestly thought that's what it was and the poster didn't get the joke.

So clearly you have to make one with the compound list on the left and one on the right just saying "ingredients: apple"; same picture for both, just one mirrored and with the saturation turned up, and see where that pops up.

it is.

There are also these:

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

Excels posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Organic has pretty specific definitions in terms of the food industry, and there are bodies governing who can call their food organic based on certification for their processes.

There are downsides too though. Organic certified dairy farms can't give their sick stock antibiotics, or don't allow them to be milked after being cleared of treatment. Generally speaking non-producing stock on dairy farms don't last long.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

LaserBaconMan posted:

The best part of this whole thing?

I used to think Ragny was an insufferable rear end in a top hat, but he just loving redeemed himself. Good god, that's amazing.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Hi, JonTron here. I'm not as bad as a literal genocide, and that's why you shouldn't criticize me, ever

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Yes I am sure internet fart superstar jobtrob actively advocates for complex and nuanced political topics in his day to day life, HOW loving DARE YOU

Edit: hahah if you want to have a good time check out her twitter, she spends at least an hour tearing this guy a new rear end in a top hat and it's great

pretty soft girl has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Aug 4, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Hi, JonTron here. I'm not as bad as a literal genocide, and that's why you shouldn't criticize me, ever

Not as bad as a genocide, but similar to Hitler.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Slickdrac posted:

Not as bad as a genocide, but similar to Hitler.

If you mean that a bullet in his head would make millions of people happy, yes

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh it has lots of value.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Buzkashi posted:

He is still going, basically using every "person who has no idea how to argue" trick in the book

Holy poo poo the girl who posted the article deleted the thread but the loving idiot messaged me:

quote:

Because Lily has closed the thread I will message you my response. The main issue with this conversation is that I have attempted to use reasons and evidence to make my arguments while you have relied on opinion and emotional appeals. Arguments are correct or incorrect based on the evidence supporting them. You can’t simply disagree, that is like disagreeing that 2+2=4. It does or it does not, there is no opinion. Arguments must be generally applicable to all industrialized men and women for them to be valid in this context. As soon as you bring you or me into the arguments personally, the argument is invalid. When you talk about my attention or my meaning, you are both attacking me personally and not making an argument. “Your posts drip with male privilege” this has no argumentative meaning and is only a personal attack on me. We can’t have a civil argument if you are attacking me personally. “You seem perfectly comfortable speaking for women so I didn't think it unreasonable to take your opinions to their logical conclusion.” If you recognize what I am saying as an opinion then you recognize that there is no argument present and therefor no need to evaluate or respond. "Women don't want this because they enjoy using their sexuality to manipulate men" is an argument. It is based on the evidence that women spend extensive time and money on enhancing their sexual appeal. Fashion, makeup, exotic hair, painted nails these are entire multibillion dollar industries dedicated to, and profiting from women’s desire to enhance their appeal. If the argument is flawed please explain how so.

How many logical fallacies are in this, jesus christ

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Apparently this guy is now trying to downvote nearly everything I've commented on.

Welcome to Imgur. I had to abandon my original account there because some dude I pissed off was downvoting all of my comments to -6 as soon as I would make them. For people who don't know how it works there, each account can only downvote a given comment or picture one single time, so this guy had at least eight ghost accounts to downvote people's content out of existance.

People take the internet way too loving serious.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
http://imgur.com/gallery/OGX2n

The title of the gallery is true, but not for the reason the poster thinks.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Labeled organic isn't much different from Kosher labeling requirements. Well except the strictness of a Rabbi coming in and auditing the facility.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

I want to believe :tinfoil:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Buzkashi posted:

Holy poo poo the girl who posted the article deleted the thread but the loving idiot messaged me:

How many logical fallacies are in this, jesus christ
Holy poo poo, how can you (not you) hate women so much?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Aphtonites posted:

I want to believe :tinfoil:

Isn't this one of the ships from independence day?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Colonel J posted:

Holy poo poo, how can you (not you) hate women so much?

This was my response

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/factsopinions.html

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Three days ago I made this lighthearted, funny status update about people who talk way too much about the Gaza conflict. Good times were had, Goatse jokes were made, we even made light of how hosed up the world is. All well and good, right?

hahahaha nope, here comes my psychotic, humorless libertarian friend from high school to poo poo things up while I'm asleep.

That talk about fashion is not a throwaway comment because this is his profile picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Did you intend to not censor the one person's name at all?

• Locked thread