Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, shipped grain would store better and provide similar nutritional benefits in combination with local foods or supplements.

Maybe. Would be interesting to see how much grain you would be able to grow with changing climatic conditions. I think all estimates conclude that our ability to grow grain will be severely hampered. Obviously, poor countries that still have significant numbers of subsistence farmers will be the most affected, while countries like the US (the country most responsible for CC) will be able to get by just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So can we be honest and say Tight here mainly hates gmos because he's a farmer in the most loose sense and if the poor people around him had easier cheap food he'd be out of work?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So can we be honest and say Tight here mainly hates gmos because he's a farmer in the most loose sense and if the poor people around him had easier cheap food he'd be out of work?

I don't make a profit from the food I grow. I share it with the locals. Also, do you really think that corporations like Monsanto want people to have easier cheap food? Or to maximize their profits no matter what?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I don't make a profit from the food I grow.

So you grow plants for a living with zero profit?

(around and around and around)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't make a profit from the food I grow. I share it with the locals. Also, do you really think that corporations like Monsanto want people to have easier cheap food? Or to maximize their profits no matter what?

Their profits are maximized by making food cheaper and easier to grow

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

So you grow plants for a living with zero profit?

(around and around and around)

Exactly.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

Their profits are maximized by making food cheaper and easier to grow

How do you figure? Cost of food is rising. Their profits have never been higher.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Maybe, you loving moron.

Modern agriculture is one of the greatest contributors to climate change. I don't have an issue with GMOs, and I've said that many times. I think it's ironic that the people in this thread consider themselves to be bastions of scientific reasoning but fail to see how the very systems and corporations they are defending are literally endangering the survival every living thing on this planet.

:ironicat: I (and presumably many other posters) hate you precisely because people like you end up helping various assholes to literally endanger the survival of every living thing on the planet with stupid knee-jerk outrage.

Have you ever heard of a thing called land sharing vs. land sparing? Has it ever occurred to you that since even ~*~organic~*~ farms are biologically poo poo compared to any primary or even secondary ecosystem sparing lots of land and loving up the rest with intensive farming is less bad than covering everything with still pretty poo poo organic farms?

By the way, do you happen to know that eating one less day's worth of beef and dairy per week saves more CO2 emissions than buying from ~local farmers~ ever can?

e:
How do you afford plane tickets if you don't make any profit?

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 4, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I said I don't make profits from growing food. One can do something like have a productive finca and also make money on some other activity.

As for your other points, that's nice, but I'm still skeptical of handing over the reigns of our food systems to corporations. Not to mention that modern agriculture relies a lot on petroleum, which is a limited and non-renewable resource. And finally, chill out ya bish, maybe you need to do something to relieve your stress, like gardening. I used to be very angry but gardening has helped in this regard. Try it out :)

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

I grow plants for a living.

quote:

I said I don't make profits from growing food.

quote:

This is what they mean when they say GMOs remove biodiversity.

quote:

I don't have an issue with GMOs, and I've said that many times.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

On second thought, it's not even circular. It's just straight up habitual self-contradiction.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

quote:

Not to mention that modern agriculture relies a lot on petroleum, which is a limited and non-renewable resource.

Much like your regular flights to your parents' house in America with a Winn Dixie next door.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

It's hard to explain. I'm sorry if I seemed contradictory. GMOs can help people, but I don't think they will be used in any manner but for straight up profit.

Some of the details of my crops and how I make a living off them I can't share, because of legality issues. I'm sorry if I gave contradicting statements. I grow plants for a living, but only certain plants. The rest of my crops I either share with the people of my community or just give away part of my stock. I hope this clears things up.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

kapparomeo posted:

Much like your regular flights to your parents' house in America with a Winn Dixie next door.

Once a year isn't regular.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

It's hard to explain. I'm sorry if I seemed contradictory. GMOs can help people, but I don't think they will be used in any manner but for straight up profit.

Some of the details of my crops and how I make a living off them I can't share, because of legality issues. I'm sorry if I gave contradicting statements. I grow plants for a living, but only certain plants. The rest of my crops I either share with the people of my community or just give away part of my stock. I hope this clears things up.

Oh. OH! Carry on. :drugnerd:

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 4, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Heh.

But what about that climate change guys.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Heh.

Electric/synthetic gas/hydrogen tractors. Chemical reactions and charging powered by the mighty atom (or solar thermal if you really really want to spend money).

Vertical farming is also pretty cool.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Heh.

By flying almost 6,000 miles every year you're making a far bigger contribution to climate change than I ever could, certainly.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

kapparomeo posted:

By flying 6,000 miles every year you're making a far bigger effect on it than I ever could, certainly.

Are you sure? Do you have a car? Where do you live? What kind of light bulbs do you have at home? DO YOU GET YOUR PRODUCE FROM LOCAL SOURCES

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Are you sure? Do you have a car? Where do you live? What kind of light bulbs do you have at home? DO YOU GET YOUR PRODUCE FROM LOCAL SOURCES

In case you are serious, GETTING PRODUCE FROM LOCAL SOURCES hardly matters.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

Electric/synthetic gas/hydrogen tractors. Chemical reactions and charging powered by the mighty atom (or solar thermal if you really really want to spend money).

Vertical farming is also pretty cool.

Yes, vertical farming is interesting to me, because I am always trying to maximize the productivity of my gardens. But implementing it would e pretty difficult where I do most of my growing. Technology like this is not used and simple facts about biology are just not understood. For example, one of the campesinas in this place did not understand what the difference between a fungus and a type of gnat is. They thought the two organisms were the same thing, that the flies formed from the fungus and then took wing to infect the surrounding plants.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He is not a farmer, he is a hobbyist, which would explain his enthusiasm over being so ignorant.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

archangelwar posted:

He is not a farmer, he is a hobbyist, which would explain his enthusiasm over being so ignorant.

It's more like a vocation. Hobby would mean I spend my leisure time growing plants, which isn't the case.

And unlike most people in this thread, I have successfully grown tasty, healthy food from seed to give to the poorest people in my community, so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

It's more like a vocation. Hobby would mean I spend my leisure time growing plants, which isn't the case.

And unlike most people in this thread, I have successfully grown tasty, healthy food from seed to give to the poorest people in my community, so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Other people in this thread, myself included, have agricultural backgrounds so don't pretend that you have some sort of special knowledge or insight into this subject. You can successful grow a tomato and still know fuckall about large scale agricultural practices, and you have amply demonstrated your ignorance on this topic.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I read this as "One time I grew some beans in the backyard of the condo daddy bought me." Considering you have time for a "vocation" that doesn't do anything to support your lifestyle financially I'm just assuming you're a member of the idle upper class here to explain to us lowly peasants How Things Ought to Work from your throne of knowledge atop Trust Fund Mountain.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

archangelwar posted:

Other people in this thread, myself included, have agricultural backgrounds so don't pretend that you have some sort of special knowledge or insight into this subject. You can successful grow a tomato and still know fuckall about large scale agricultural practices, and you have amply demonstrated your ignorance on this topic.

I'm providing something that is needed to a very poor community. You can have a doctorate in agriculture, and not do a single good thing with that degree. Having a degree does not mean jack poo poo other than you having proof of completing college.

Large scale agricultural practices are one of CC largest contributors, so it inherently must change if we are to have a habitable planet not only for white, rich people in the US, but rather every living thing.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I read this as "One time I grew some beans in the backyard of the condo daddy bought me." Considering you have time for a "vocation" that doesn't do anything to support your lifestyle financially I'm just assuming you're a member of the idle upper class here to explain to us lowly peasants How Things Ought to Work from your throne of knowledge atop Trust Fund Mountain.

actually, I was born in a tiny fishing village in Ecuador, none of my family is wealthy. Nice try though. I would love to have a trust fund and be part of the upper class. I could help my community so much more!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

actually, I was born in a tiny fishing village in Ecuador, none of my family is wealthy. Nice try though. I would love to have a trust fund and be part of the upper class. I could help my community so much more!

And yet you can afford to fly to America and back every year.

Please tell me the code to save Aeris, dude.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And yet you can afford to fly to America and back every year.

Please tell me the code to save Aeris, dude.

How rich do you think the majority of people who use air travel are? I don't want to discuss this further, because I've already divulged way too much info on these forums. If you take a look at my post history you'd understand how I am able to scrape by. I'm not rich by any means.

Also, missed this news story this weekend, looks like some of the Great Lakes are seeing large toxic algal blooms due in part by the increased chemical fertilizer run off. Hundreds of thousands of people are left without a water source.

We should totally use more fertilizers to increase our bushels per acre... Water supplies be damned. Yield is all that matters in the end. Not how much of it gets to people, or how environmentally harmful it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...b747_story.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Also, missed this news story this weekend, looks like some of the Great Lakes are seeing large toxic algal blooms due in part by the increased chemical fertilizer run off. Hundreds of thousands of people are left without a water source.

We should totally use more fertilizers to increase our bushels per acre... Water supplies be damned. Yield is all that matters in the end. Not how much of it gets to people, or how environmentally harmful it is.

References to GMOs in that article: zero.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

How rich do you think the majority of people who use air travel are? I don't want to discuss this further, because I've already divulged way too much info on these forums. If you take a look at my post history you'd understand how I am able to scrape by. I'm not rich by any means.

What does this have to do with GMOs, if anything this should lead you to think, say, we would want to make crops that require less things like fertilizers, right?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

If someone wants to make a go at a more general thread on sustainable farming, the environment, ways to improve conventional farming, ways to improve organic farming, large-scale vs. local, feeding the world, feeding the country, etc. then I'm throwing in my support for that.

This thread has been focused from the beginning on fighting pseudoscience, rather than talking about agricultural practices per se, and I'm always reading it with that in mind, so I'm skeptical of the intentions of people who make good points w/r/t problems in conventional farming. Every post is met with "what does this have to do with GMOs" so I'm clearly not the only one.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

References to GMOs in that article: zero.

I'm case you haven't read any of my posts, I'm all about the whole modern agricultural system, rather than just the single facet of GMOs. These are all related things though. I bet many of the fields that were responsible for the run off had at least some GMO crops or used some fertilizer provided by a large corporation like Monsanto or any of the other ag corps.

E: but this is not a thread for either GMOs or the sustainability of agriculture, but rather fighting scientific ignorance. If you guys want to talk about how awesome GMOs are for everyone, and can't stand any dissenting voices, then I guess I'll bow out again.

white sauce fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 4, 2014

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Actually, my crops are of excellent quality, and any person who has tried them has been impressed by the quality of it. Also, everyone I know has a disdain for the lovely taste and quality of intensively farmed produce. So we get lovely tasting food, in addition to climate change. Not a good deal if you ask me.

Actually, studies show that people are unable to taste the difference between organic and gmo foods of equal age. So great anecdotal evidence that your friends are being polite to you.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually, studies show that

Hmm yes I see.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually, studies show that people are unable to taste the difference between organic and gmo foods of equal age. So great anecdotal evidence that your friends are being polite to you.

First, link it. Second, it's really unlikely his friends are getting the results of a nicely controlled experiment. His crops get individual attention and are delivered at their peak; with increasing scale, maintaining quality becomes an larger engineering problem. Anyone who has ever had a vegetable garden can tell you that you can pretty easily outperform supermarket produce, but the person with the vegetable garden is looking at each plant every day.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HootTheOwl posted:

Sorry dude, you really can taste the difference between a normally grown tomato and a tomato that picked when it was green and then artificially ripened. You should try some real food sometimes. Much like wild shrimp is so much better than it's farmed counterpart. They are both shrimp and they are both tasty, but the wild variety tastes so much better.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah. In the winter, the hothouse tomato tastes like a tomato, while the "normally grown" tomato tastes like nothing because I can't eat it.

And I live in a climate band where we actually have a decent growing season! If I still lived in the north, it'd be a lot more of the year where I couldn't eat vegetables!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Growing your own vegetables owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
A lot of naturalistic fallacies going on ITT (in this thread)

• Locked thread