Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

That was a real accent.
Yeah.

You guys know that Ubisoft is a French company, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

G-Prime posted:

It was announced at $40 retail, $30 digital for PS4/Xbone, and $30 retail, $20 digital for PS3/360. They dropped the price of the physical copies for PS4/Xbone to $30 before release, but nothing else changed.

For the record, I'm in :canada: and I could have sworn it was $40 ps3/$50 ps4 at launch. I could be wrong though.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

robodex posted:

For the record, I'm in :canada: and I could have sworn it was $40 ps3/$50 ps4 at launch. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Nvm, G prime said exactly what I wanted I wanted say

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

robodex posted:

Yeah, sorry, I should have specified that was American funbucks and I didn't remember what it was elsewhere.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm one of those people who didn't like The Last of Us much. I'm giving it a second shot with Remasterd to see if it'll change my mind. I'm expecting to be good, but still massively overrated.

I did think it was strange they added telekenetic soldiers to Remastered.

They gave Riley superpowers also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkIz3U_mew

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Rogue Legacy is too drat addicting. "Okay, just one more hero..."

Still haven't beaten a boss, but having a lot of fun. Worth the purchase. Looking forward to it being 50% off in a couple months. :v:

Regarding Destiny: I've been considering going with a digital pre-load of the game, but previous digital experiences have made me wary, including not being able to re-sell the game if I get tired of it. Other than that, are there any indications Destiny digital is going to be any different than the physical copy in terms of loading times, installation times, etc.?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

All games install directly to the hard-drive, whether digital or disc, so performance should be identical.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Other than that, are there any indications Destiny digital is going to be any different than the physical copy in terms of loading times, installation times, etc.?

Playstation 4 disc based games are installed entirely to the hard drive. It's just a delivery mechanism and physical DRM now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not on PS4, no.

vvvvv Sorry, that was in response to a shameful boehner before I was beaten by 2 other posts.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

Not on PS4, no.

Yes on PS4? All games are required to fully install now, and only use the disc for a game bootup check. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Amazon preorder, you don't pay until it ships :c00l:
So it's still a huge mystery

FWIW then I got my launch PS4 from them the same way, so I'd feel confident they'd get the white ones out. Amazon will stop selling preorders when they run through their supply.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

a shameful boehner posted:

Rogue Legacy is too drat addicting. "Okay, just one more hero..."

Still haven't beaten a boss, but having a lot of fun. Worth the purchase. Looking forward to it being 50% off in a couple months. :v:

Regarding Destiny: I've been considering going with a digital pre-load of the game, but previous digital experiences have made me wary, including not being able to re-sell the game if I get tired of it. Other than that, are there any indications Destiny digital is going to be any different than the physical copy in terms of loading times, installation times, etc.?

Loading times will be identical because disks are just used for installation. I imagine installation time is very dependent on your internet connection but the disk is undoubtedly faster 99% of the time. I got it digitally because I'm getting everything digitally these days and just renting titles that I know I will sell back after beating. Since Destiny seems like a game with a lot of expansions set for it and decent multiplayer and I know I already enjoy the gameplay, getting it digitally seemed like a no-brainer.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
The Last of Us photo mode is surprisingly cool, not bad for a last-gen port (these are in-game, not cutscene):

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If Starbound ever comes to PS4 I think I would never leave my house again. It's the kind of game that I could see Sony offering for free with PS+ day one and my life would just be over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

If Starbound ever comes to PS4 I think I would never leave my house again. It's the kind of game that I could see Sony offering for free with PS+ day one and my life would just be over.

Does anyone know what is up with the PC version? It seems like development came to a halt about a month after the beta released.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Loading times will be identical because disks are just used for installation. I imagine installation time is very dependent on your internet connection but the disk is undoubtedly faster 99% of the time. I got it digitally because I'm getting everything digitally these days and just renting titles that I know I will sell back after beating. Since Destiny seems like a game with a lot of expansions set for it and decent multiplayer and I know I already enjoy the gameplay, getting it digitally seemed like a no-brainer.

Thanks for this, this was my thinking as well. I was a little concerned about differences but it seems like they're pretty minimal at most.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone know what is up with the PC version? It seems like development came to a halt about a month after the beta released.

Apparently the company was doing some restaffing and moving offices so that's slowed development but it's still being worked on.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PantsBandit posted:

Apparently the company was doing some restaffing and moving offices so that's slowed development but it's still being worked on.

Yeah, they haven't made a lot of progress in the meantime, but that's because they're going from a bunch of nerds all over the world working on this game out of their respective basements to an actual organized team with centralized offices and stuff like that. I imagine progress will shoot off once they've had time to settle in and figure out their next step.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I said come in! posted:

A little reluctant to believe that map. Similar claims and evidence were presented for Watch Dogs and it turned out to be totally inaccurate. UBISoft has not said that the world is to scale with the real Paris from that time period either, just that certain landmark buildings are a 1:1 scale.

The Access Animus thing seems to imply too that this is a similar virtual reality premise to Black Flag, which I am okay with.

Actually right in this video around :420: 4:20 :420: they say the city is at a one to one scale itself. http://youtu.be/wzBJPOcmke0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Actually right in this video around :420: 4:20 :420: they say the city is at a one to one scale itself. http://youtu.be/wzBJPOcmke0

Well poo poo, that's pretty crazy.

I still want the co-op stuff to allow character customization and to be bigger then it supposedly is (only certain missions?).

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

It's still set for a vita release, they just have to finish it before porting it, so... maybe in a year or two?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Come to think of it, how would a game like that even really work without a mouse? Since so much of it revolves around placing/destroying blocks in an area around you on a 2D plane I feel like the controls wouldn't translate very well.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I can't seem to find the dedicated PS3 thread so I'll ask here: is there anything I should do with my bricked PS3? It was a 80gb launch model that after 6 years refuses to turn on but it feels like a shame to just throw it out. Is there is a guide to restoring functionality or a place that would buy it? Same question with an original PSP.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

MZ posted:

The Last of Us photo mode is surprisingly cool, not bad for a last-gen port (these are in-game, not cutscene):

Gorgeous.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

PantsBandit posted:

Come to think of it, how would a game like that even really work without a mouse? Since so much of it revolves around placing/destroying blocks in an area around you on a 2D plane I feel like the controls wouldn't translate very well.

Mouse nothing, sans mods the game is boring as hell. Maybe the final form will be something special, but I would say it is a good year from that now. I have played it a fair bit, but not being able to get rid of the really tedious stuff like the sedated sloth like early game mining is a deal breaker. For the record though, Terraria played very well with a controller, so getting it to play nice with a DS4 is not something to be concerned about.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I said come in! posted:

Well poo poo, that's pretty crazy.

I still want the co-op stuff to allow character customization and to be bigger then it supposedly is (only certain missions?).

I'm hesitantly optimistic about Unity but from what they've shown so far it looks like they're getting the right bits right. I used to be the biggest AC fan though and never finished Black Flag, so we'll see how this goes.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. I love the photo modes and share feature. Even if I am just annoying my friends I assume it's better than their chain-share images about how Obama is trying to steal their thoughts or something.

Playing Black Flag, the ship combat is just way too good. I'm glad it got its own game, it seriously put the first assassins creed game that I would actually remember fondly and want to go back to play again. Kenway is just so excited!

I hope Destiny gets a photomode, even if it doesn't freeze the game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Underwhelmed posted:

Mouse nothing, sans mods the game is boring as hell. Maybe the final form will be something special, but I would say it is a good year from that now. I have played it a fair bit, but not being able to get rid of the really tedious stuff like the sedated sloth like early game mining is a deal breaker. For the record though, Terraria played very well with a controller, so getting it to play nice with a DS4 is not something to be concerned about.

The early game is definitely rough and I think that's a deal-breaker for a lot of people. It's also a game that I absolutely need to play with friends or I can't get into it at all. That said, other than minecraft I can't think of a game that makes the hours disappear like Starbound. And the ability to jump in a ship with a bunch of friends and hyperdrive from one planet to another is just too cool to ignore.

If there was a dedicated goon server on PS4 I would be seriously addicted.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I swear I'm the only person incredibly hyped on this game. I dig everything I've seen and read about it.

Huh. I thought it was just that someone misremembered the name for Helldivers. Had no idea that a game called Hellraid was even coming out. The website is the most loving 90's metal thing I've seen since probably the 90's.

That said, can't wait for Helldivers. If it's even half as fun as Magicka is, it's going to be awesome for coop.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I can't seem to find the dedicated PS3 thread so I'll ask here: is there anything I should do with my bricked PS3? It was a 80gb launch model that after 6 years refuses to turn on but it feels like a shame to just throw it out. Is there is a guide to restoring functionality or a place that would buy it? Same question with an original PSP.
You could try a reflow to get it operating again. Otherwise there are kooky nerds out there that will pay for even a bricked BC PS3. Remove the HDD and try selling on Craigslist or ebay. To do the repair yourself, look up tutorials on YouTube. It does require some technical savvy but goons have done it successfully.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Rogue Legacy sure gets a lot harder on NG+.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SLOSifl posted:

I can't beat the forest boss. I'm lv. 32, maybe I'm underleveled?

e: On regular new game. :(

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Soul Glo posted:

I can't beat the forest boss. I'm lv. 32, maybe I'm underleveled?

e: On regular new game. :(

Keep trucking on. Not only is your character getting better with every life, but you are as well. Don't feel too bad if you just have to go explore more of the castle over.

I'd say NG+2 is where the real hardcore challenge lies, but after a few NG+s the challenge is in the castle, not in the bosses. There'll always be surprises.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

SLOSifl posted:

Just wait until NG+2. Every single enemy is turned the mini-boss variety.

Which is actually good training for the Thanatophobia trophy, the basic castle is so drat simple in comparison to the bullet-hell nonsense it turns into in the later playthroughs.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Ularg posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. I love the photo modes and share feature. Even if I am just annoying my friends I assume it's better than their chain-share images about how Obama is trying to steal their thoughts or something.

Playing Black Flag, the ship combat is just way too good. I'm glad it got its own game, it seriously put the first assassins creed game that I would actually remember fondly and want to go back to play again. Kenway is just so excited!

I hope Destiny gets a photomode, even if it doesn't freeze the game.

You can take screenshots on any game. Last of Us just allows you to freeze the game and manipulate the angles...so since Destiny is an online only persistent world, the answer is probably no dedicated photo mode because there wouldn't be a way of freezing gameplay.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whoa, not sure when this happened, but Kingdom Hearts 3 is listed on the Japanese PSN. On top of having a release date (February 25th, although likely a placeholder), :siren: it specifically says it will be downloadable, making it the first ever Kingdom Hearts game to offer a downloadable version. :siren:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

G-Whizard posted:

You can take screenshots on any game. Last of Us just allows you to freeze the game and manipulate the angles...so since Destiny is an online only persistent world, the answer is probably no dedicated photo mode because there wouldn't be a way of freezing gameplay.

Oh I know that, how else did I get those Black Flag screenshots you quoted? I would just like a camera mode in Destiny where I can turn off the hud and move the camera a bit and mess with the FOV to take some wonderful environment shots. Lore reason I'm taking vacation photos with my Ghost. Postcard "Wish you were here" sent to The Speaker.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

univbee posted:

Whoa, not sure when this happened, but Kingdom Hearts 3 is listed on the Japanese PSN. On top of having a release date (February 25th, although likely a placeholder), :siren: it specifically says it will be downloadable, making it the first ever Kingdom Hearts game to offer a downloadable version. :siren:

Definitely want this. Hopefully by then I'll have had my fill of FFXIV and I can actually start playing all these other awesome games I've got waiting.

Sooooooooo hooked on FFXIV. :sigh:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

univbee posted:

I don't think they have much of a choice with current gen digital requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I have a bunch of Best Buy credit, and I think this might be a good time to buy a PS4. I have $20 in rewards, a 10% off movers coupon, and the $25 off 250 Amex credit for there, so I think I might jump. I wanted to get the Destiny bundle, but the Amex credit stops 9/1 and I think they won't charge it until it ships.

Thinking about getting a standard PS4 and TLOU:R. Didn't have a PS3 and never played it. Good move? Or wait?

• Locked thread