Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
There's a new Network Addon Mod for those using OSX.
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29777-network-addon-mod-nam-mac-installer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 653 days!

PowderKeg posted:

Haven't read the entire thread so maybe it's been addressed, and saw it wasn't linked in the OP, but I believe I've stumbled across the original goon gigapack on an old drive in my drawer. Should I upload somewhere?

Yes Please If You Havent Done So Already

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 653 days!

Keetron posted:

I found both these and can make them available somewhere.

You basically have to increase R$ demand by generating tons of low skilled jobs with IA and ID and allow these slums to be build by removing all that will increase desire to live somewhere such as parks, healthcare, education and police coverage. Like Detroit then and now...

Please Upload If Possible IF You Havent Done So Already

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 653 days!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

They mean this one. All it does is make programs large address aware.
Though I think you're going to have to run one hell of a lot of mods for SimCity 4 to require this; you're more likely to be bottlenecked by your CPU as the game is only stable when running it on a single core.

Use At Your Own Caution This App Broke My Game :(

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Figured I'd give you guys an update on my region. I've mostly been updating the West side of the map so I'll start with a progression of that:

The largest town as of right now is Ciabatta (NW corner). Panettone has more, or less been absorbed into Ciabatta. Scone is a new addition to the region:

Most of the map is still fairly rural, but here are the towns of Baguette and Boule. Just south of Ciabatta they are a bit more rural than others:

This is from the other side of the map. A trio of farming towns in the Kugelhupf area:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Its nice some of the modders now wrap up all there stuff thats needed into one file but you'd think by now someone would of done a super file of every dependancy for the popular stuff...

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

Its nice some of the modders now wrap up all there stuff thats needed into one file but you'd think by now someone would of done a super file of every dependancy for the popular stuff...

It's still an issue of the modding community. Most of the non-goon bundles you can get on places like simtropolis are only bundles of one modders stuff. If that same modder were to also bundle someone else's stuff into it then it's a shitstorm of idiotic "property rights" arguments. The whole modding community is just a giant quagmire of stupidity really.

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 4, 2014

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

HappyHelmet posted:

Figured I'd give you guys an update on my region. I've mostly been updating the West side of the map so I'll start with a progression of that:

This is neat; something I really liked about SC4, that seems lacking in SC5 or any of the earlier ones, is the ability to build these huge sprawling rural/suburban areas. I grew up in eastern Kansas, and the other SC games make it really difficult to model the kind of cities I'm used to. I built the town I live in now, a sprawling college town of ~100,000 people isolated from other major towns by about twenty miles of farmland, on one and half huge SC4 plots, and it hummed right along (at ~250,000 pop, but who's counting?)

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 4, 2014

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 653 days!

*PUNCH* posted:

Please do, I'll add them to the OP! My only concern with the OG goon gigapack is if the NAM can be updated... I remember it being DATpacked in with everything else, but that was years ago.

Just Bumping Again OP Please !!!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Christmas Present posted:

This is neat; something I really liked about SC4, that seems lacking in SC5 or any of the earlier ones, is the ability to build these huge sprawling rural/suburban areas. I grew up in eastern Kansas, and the other SC games make it really difficult to model the kind of cities I'm used to. I built the town I live in now, a sprawling college town of ~100,000 people isolated from other major towns by about twenty miles of farmland, on one and half huge SC4 plots, and it hummed right along (at ~250,000 pop, but who's counting?)

Thats because SC5 is a steaming pile of poo poo and EA just tried to revive another cash cow and failed. SC4 costs 1 buck less then 5 and it only came out last year. Never know, they might try make an effort if they do a 6.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Talking of NAM,can someone zip up the files for the recent one? I just want to be able to drag it into my plugins without using .exe installer. Not sure if it adds files elsewhere or not. It won't patch my game via the installer due :cough: to a modified sc4.exe not syncing despite it being the correct version.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

Thats because SC5 is a steaming pile of poo poo and EA just tried to revive another cash cow and failed. SC4 costs 1 buck less then 5 and it only came out last year. Never know, they might try make an effort if they do a 6.

Yeah, the two don't even really compare unfortunately. SC 5 could have been so much better if EA would have side-stepped that stupid corporate policy that ALL games must be multiplayer the old CEO came up with.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I couldn't be happier about this. The OSX port runs so goddamned well.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Is the GOG version of the game tweaked to run better on modern windows systems at all? I knew their thing used to be ensuring performance on modern hardware when they were Good ole' Games but I wasn't sure if that was still the deal or if there's much you can do to help SC4 at all.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It runs fine on modern systems though, dunno what GOG would do to improve that.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I built a hugeass region with nothing but the 4x4 tiles. After filling in the terrain to my liking I find that building the cities is challenging because I'll go from an obvious metropolitan center of 200k sims to some rural farming town with maybe 1k sims. Now I think I get why the map mixes up the city sizes.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

bobthedinosaur posted:

I built a hugeass region with nothing but the 4x4 tiles. After filling in the terrain to my liking I find that building the cities is challenging because I'll go from an obvious metropolitan center of 200k sims to some rural farming town with maybe 1k sims. Now I think I get why the map mixes up the city sizes.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to make rural towns look just right without trying to fill every square inch of it with farms. I think I'll actually try a bunch of medium-sized maps for my next region. As much as I love seeing a huge segment of the region with just one tile loaded up, the performance and load/save times does become an issue. And I want to see if I can try building up a giant region-wide city by "blending" a bunch of smaller tiles.

Speaking of building up a region-wide suburban monstrosity, I decided to spruce up my region over the weekend.

This is probably the densest city I've built in quite some time. I almost always prefer building loose suburbs because why wouldn't you? :911:

Turns out it's pretty difficult trying to eyeball the bigger picture while preoccupied with mass transit routing.

First try at setting up elevated rails: Somewhat successful. Most of that red and blue is woefully underused, but I can't complain. A good portion of the population either gently caress off to the adjacent city or are high-wealth assholes and wouldn't use any of it to begin with.

Also guess where I decided to finally give up on hand-drawing streets and just let the zoning tool do the work for me. :shepface:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Samopsa posted:

It runs fine on modern systems though, dunno what GOG would do to improve that.

Can the processor affinity issue be fixed without a massive overhaul of game code?

And generally speaking, it doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest the game could use some optimization. It's literally been over 10 years, any remotely modern system should be able to handle it without problems yet it seems there's nearly as much discussion about getting the game to run normally as there is about gameplay.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 6, 2014

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
^^^Edit: Your basically talking about a new game if you want to go that far. We were all hoping SC5 would deliver something like that, but alas...^^^

bobthedinosaur posted:

I only use the large tiles myself. You can have a fairly large city, and a rural farm town on the same tile with both of them looking good often times. The real issues are when you have to overlap across the border of one tile onto another. Getting things to match up properly without being able to see the other tile can be frustrating. If you use smaller tiles your just going to run into that problem more often.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

HappyHelmet posted:

^^^Edit: Your basically talking about a new game if you want to go that far. We were all hoping SC5 would deliver something like that, but alas...^^^

I only use the large tiles myself. You can have a fairly large city, and a rural farm town on the same tile with both of them looking good often times. The real issues are when you have to overlap across the border of one tile onto another. Getting things to match up properly without being able to see the other tile can be frustrating. If you use smaller tiles your just going to run into that problem more often.

That's probably the biggest hurdle I'm bumping into- having cities' borders match up.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Typically what I'll do is build road connections in the areas where expansion is overlapping to give myself some kind of guideline. It still sucks though because in the end you end up spending a lot of time waiting for loading screens while you bounce back and forth between the two making sure things look right.

Jugderdemidiin
Oct 6, 2013

HappyHelmet posted:

Our only real hope for that would be if EA declared the game freeware and allowed an OpenTTD style community to develop the game further which is something I really, really want to happen :(

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
It will never happen. EA isn't in the business of allowing games like SC 4 go full freeware, and sadly they aren't in the business of making realistic simulations either. So basically Sim City is dead as a franchise.

The only real hope is that some other developer steps up and tries to make a game similar to it for the modern era, but no one seems to want to step up to the plate. So all we get are resource generators like Tropico/Banished/Anno. Not to say those are bad games, but they are not the same as Sim City.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

HappyHelmet posted:

It will never happen. EA isn't in the business of allowing games like SC 4 go full freeware, and sadly they aren't in the business of making realistic simulations either. So basically Sim City is dead as a franchise.

The only real hope is that some other developer steps up and tries to make a game similar to it for the modern era, but no one seems to want to step up to the plate. So all we get are resource generators like Tropico/Banished/Anno. Not to say those are bad games, but they are not the same as Sim City.
Do check out Citybound. It's a pretty ambitious project and seems to be coming along quite well. The developer is very responsive and posts in the thread quite regularly. He's actually doing a development stream right now!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, I thought that project got put on hiatus for some reason. It does look promising though, I'll have to start following it.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Hmm, any ideas what would cause water pumps/towers/etc to not actually pump water? The area directly around the base of the pumping stations is fine, and the pipes are connected, but the waters just not going into them.

Its a new install, with the OldFashioned pack dumped into the plugins folder.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Tindahbawx posted:

Hmm, any ideas what would cause water pumps/towers/etc to not actually pump water? The area directly around the base of the pumping stations is fine, and the pipes are connected, but the waters just not going into them.

Its a new install, with the OldFashioned pack dumped into the plugins folder.

I think that pumps will shut down if there's too much pollution in the area.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Sam. posted:

I think that pumps will shut down if there's too much pollution in the area.

Theres no pollution around, at least not yet anyway, it's a new map.

Edit: Weird, its only that one map it does it in though. Its working fine in others. Bizarre! Anyway, I'll just download a different region and start afresh on that.

Also I'd forgotten just how outright frustrating RHW on-ramps and their associated puzzle pieces could be to use at times.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 11, 2014

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Tindahbawx posted:

Also I'd forgotten just how outright frustrating RHW on-ramps and their associated puzzle pieces could be to use at times.

Pretty much every non-standard non-draggable pieces are frustrating to use, but RWH really takes the cake. Every time I get the "realism" fever and try to mold it to the terrain, I end up giving up and using the default highways instead. It's just not worth it.

As for the pump issue - what kind of pump was it? Sometimes you have to demolish the pipes connecting to it and rebuild it by dragging from the pump connector and into the actual pipe network itself.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

It indeed happens sometimes, but I found that dragging a pipe over the pump will fix it every time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

RHW is for insane people and you shouldn't bother with it really. With a texture mod the regular highways look just fine, especially if you add a few simple custom intersections and curves from NAM. I don't care how many lanes my highway has, as long as it works.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Brotato Broth posted:

Pretty much every non-standard non-draggable pieces are frustrating to use, but RWH really takes the cake. Every time I get the "realism" fever and try to mold it to the terrain, I end up giving up and using the default highways instead. It's just not worth it.

Shibawanko posted:

RHW is for insane people and you shouldn't bother with it really. With a texture mod the regular highways look just fine, especially if you add a few simple custom intersections and curves from NAM. I don't care how many lanes my highway has, as long as it works.
RHW does indeed seem to be for people who are, shall we say "enthusiastic", about creating realistic junctions. I just kept fiddling with it last night until I figured it out, finally managed to make a highway that doesn't take up an obscene amount of space for every on-ramp and off ramp intersection, once I discovered these new FLEX pieces. They're only getting the 4 lane stuff, Frankly I don't care to expand on that.

Is regular normal highway still affected by the modifications NAM makes to the game?

Brotato Broth posted:

As for the pump issue - what kind of pump was it? Sometimes you have to demolish the pipes connecting to it and rebuild it by dragging from the pump connector and into the actual pipe network itself.
Cant remember the name of the piece, however I'm using it on this new map and its working just fine.

----------------------

One more question, anyone know of any guides or similar that give tips on how you can break up the grid structure of the game, so everything doesn't look like it was drawn on graph paper? I'm plopping down the plots individually be sure to get different sized buildings, but I feel there's more I could be doing.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Tindahbawx posted:

RHW does indeed seem to be for people who are, shall we say "enthusiastic", about creating realistic junctions. I just kept fiddling with it last night until I figured it out, finally managed to make a highway that doesn't take up an obscene amount of space for every on-ramp and off ramp intersection, once I discovered these new FLEX pieces. They're only getting the 4 lane stuff, Frankly I don't care to expand on that.

Is regular normal highway still affected by the modifications NAM makes to the game?
The normal highways function just fine with NAM. No need to worry about using RHW

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tindahbawx posted:

One more question, anyone know of any guides or similar that give tips on how you can break up the grid structure of the game, so everything doesn't look like it was drawn on graph paper? I'm plopping down the plots individually be sure to get different sized buildings, but I feel there's more I could be doing.

I just use the curve pieces and try to avoid making a box or rectangle for zoned areas. Also, not letting the game auto fill streets works a lot to break up the graph paper looking map. Ultimately its using the nice curves from NAM that will do the job and taking it further in the zoned areas with nice things like roundabouts or tiny parks at inter sections and all the while, the linking roads between towns/villages/cities aren't just dragging a road straight to the next place. Go around a hill, maybe add a small gas station with a dinner and a few ploppable houses next to it and a 2x1 or 1x1 car park. The agriculture mod from...someone is great. Lets you add farm related stuff like metal tanks, barns, farm houses etc (ploppable). I made a small national park in between two major towns on one of those monster region tiles. Grabbed a few trail park mods, snow capped mountains and made myself a oak forest with winding trails, a water park, car park, snack bars at various places along with random park pieces that fit well in there. All the Oak trees were seasonal too so they changed colour throughout the year.

Probably should of been some paragraphs in there...

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 653 days!

Keetron posted:

It indeed happens sometimes, but I found that dragging a pipe over the pump will fix it every time.

Wheres the mods friend?

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 653 days!

Keetron posted:

Wheres the mods friend?

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Leaving empty spaces where they belong (low-density areas, between different types of zones, et al) really helps with making it look less like graph paper and more like an actual city as well.

Honestly, just ripping the look from your own town's satellite imagery does wonders too. :v:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

black goku posted:

Wheres the mods friend?

Oh, completely forgot, sorry. Will look into it when I am home tonight.

black goku
Jan 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 653 days!

Keetron posted:

Oh, completely forgot, sorry. Will look into it when I am home tonight.

Tyvm, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It is still uploading and this might take a while. Upload started when I posted this and expect it to take about a day (slow upload speed)

When it is done, you can find the Killhour pack and the original Goon Megapack here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8MRLuBKvsOTTUVlYXlpZkRMQzA&usp=sharing

• Locked thread