Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The one shining moment in an otherwise forgettable and generally bad The Emperor's Gift is Bjorn being a curmudgeonly old man, yelling sense into some idiot Space Marines. I'm not a huge fan of Space Wolves (though I appreciate that others may be) but Bjorn is a cool guy and gets my approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I never got why the Ultramarines didn't inter Roboute Goulliman in a dreadnought. Also, Bjorn is basically space Granpa.

Played a cool game yesterday w/ all of my models, Necrons, my limited Daemons, and CSM and I didn't even proxy!!

Necrons and Chaos are best buds.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hollismason posted:

I never got why the Ultramarines didn't inter Roboute Goulliman in a dreadnought.

Primarch physiology is very different from Astartes physiology and may not follow the rules of nature at all (there are some books that strongly imply that Primarchs are warp entities bound to physical shells that don't actually have internal organs or blood or whatever). If that's the case, then not only would a mortal wound be a thing that Dreadnought interrment couldn't circumvent, but no one would know how to do it in the first place.

Also I really liked Emperor's Gift, though there were plenty of other ADB books I preferred.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HiveCommander posted:

Actually, look at Hormagaunts. They're 3" faster than Choppaboyz outside of WAAAAGH! turn, have higher initiative, the same base strength, are fearless within synapse range, have the same save and WS, get AP6 on their melee attacks (not really noteworthy, but at least they ignore the common Ork t-shirt saves), one less attack, one less toughness and no grenades, but are a point cheaper. Shrugging off pinning and leadership tests is huge for horde armies, and Hormagaunts can more reliably cross the battlefield without running off.
Uh... I'm not sure you want to be comparing Hormagaunts to Boyz, because that does not come out well for the Hormagaunts. Orks are T4, WS4, have Furious Charge, and come with an extra attack base; AP6 on melee strikes is laughably useless, especially compared to the option to put out some random shots with their pistols- or, you know, take Rokkits. Fleet is better than 'Ere We Go, but not by a ton, and when you factor in Waaaaaaaghs the Hormies start looking worse and worse. I5 is a nice stat, but it only works when you don't have to clip cover at all- and since both units inevitably come in huge blobs in order to do their job, the chances you will be able to move them all without touching any terrain is pretty small.

Basically, Boyz pay 1pt more to be better in melee both on and off the charge, have shooting options, have armor options, and be significantly tougher against many guns. Hormagaunts are faster, but that barely even matters when they die before getting to the enemy.

quote:

I could say that Marines don't need to be 2 points cheaper than they were in 5th, 16ppm was fine for them since they gained ~3 points' worth of wargear the same edition they dropped from 17ppm. Shoota boyz would've been alright if they stayed at 6 points, but Choppaboyz should've gone down to 5 points, especially after Furious Charge lost the initiative boost.
16pts wasn't really "fine"- it was still a pretty weak price compared to other stuff, that's why you almost never saw people bother taking full Tactical squads during 5E. Even at 14pts they aren't hugely exciting, even if they are at least decent at this point. I think 6pts for either type of Ork would've been fine if Choppa/Slugga Boyz got a bit of a boost comparatively- maybe only they get 'Ere We Go, or some other melee advantage. But even as it stands both types are wholly useable.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sulecrist posted:

Primarch physiology is very different from Astartes physiology and may not follow the rules of nature at all (there are some books that strongly imply that Primarchs are warp entities bound to physical shells that don't actually have internal organs or blood or whatever). If that's the case, then not only would a mortal wound be a thing that Dreadnought interrment couldn't circumvent, but no one would know how to do it in the first place.

Also I really liked Emperor's Gift, though there were plenty of other ADB books I preferred.

In the horus heresy book Prince of Crows they go into a lot of whats inside a Primarch as they're trying to put Curze back together after Johnson opens him up from shoulder to hip. The apothercaries are basically guessing at what half the poo poo in there does.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

PierreTheMime posted:

The one shining moment in an otherwise forgettable and generally bad The Emperor's Gift is Bjorn being a curmudgeonly old man, yelling sense into some idiot Space Marines. I'm not a huge fan of Space Wolves (though I appreciate that others may be) but Bjorn is a cool guy and gets my approval.

The Emperor's Gift is actually a really solid BL book and features an Logan Grimnar being a nice guy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I enjoyed the Emperors Gift and I liked the twist.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Big Willy Style posted:

The Emperor's Gift is actually a really solid BL book and features an Logan Grimnar being a nice guy.

I didn't really care for it. Perhaps it was just the mood I was in, but I felt it was a bit all-over-the-place and some of the character's actions bugged me. I did appreciate the Space Wolves in the book far, far more than the Grey Knights. All the GK felt like aggressive idiot man-children while the Space Wolves, of all chapters, came off as more level-headed and heroic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Spoil the twist, honestly haven't read a 40k book in a while not since like The Blood Company i think it was called came out.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
All this talk of assault cannons makes me hungry for some in my army. What's the ideal Space Marine unit/model for maximum rear end cannon utility? I'd assume it would be the Razorback, but I'd generally prefer to be able to transport larger squads than that, so I was thinking Stormtalon.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hollismason posted:

Spoil the twist, honestly haven't read a 40k book in a while not since like The Blood Company i think it was called came out.

The main Grey Knight is the kid from the Eisenhorn trilogy

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Finished some more Blood Angels but I think I might go back and change the trim color on the tacs to black rather than scarlet. Plus I just noticed that the Sarge's trim is a bit brighter than everyone else. Also, old metal dreadnaught is best dreadnaught.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

serious gaylord posted:

The main Grey Knight is the kid from the Eisenhorn trilogy

Ah okay that's not really that big of a twist now is it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Did a quick painting of Krom Dragongaze as a gift for my niece's upcoming birthday:

I have four nieces and nephews ranging from 8 to 14 and they all play 40K. It's cute and somewhat weird. :3:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

I didn't really care for it. Perhaps it was just the mood I was in, but I felt it was a bit all-over-the-place and some of the character's actions bugged me. I did appreciate the Space Wolves in the book far, far more than the Grey Knights. All the GK felt like aggressive idiot man-children while the Space Wolves, of all chapters, came off as more level-headed and heroic.

I think a big point of the book was to show that the Grey Knights are just that, children with unimaginable power stuck in an astartes body where the space wolves had a chance to actually live their lives a little before becoming space marines, and they don't throw away their humanity and culture after the fact. Its a pretty common theme in BL books but ADB explores it a lot I feel. His depiction of the Night Lords and even the Gal Vorbak in the HH books is much more human this his depiction of the Black Templars, for example.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PierreTheMime posted:

Did a quick painting of Krom Dragongaze as a gift for my niece's upcoming birthday:

I have four nieces and nephews ranging from 8 to 14 and they all play 40K. It's cute and somewhat weird. :3:

This person is a great uncle/aunt ; This person is also probably hated by his sibling.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Big Willy Style posted:

I think a big point of the book was to show that the Grey Knights are just that, children with unimaginable power stuck in an astartes body where the space wolves had a chance to actually live their lives a little before becoming space marines, and they don't throw away their humanity and culture after the fact. Its a pretty common theme in BL books but ADB explores it a lot I feel. His depiction of the Night Lords and even the Gal Vorbak in the HH books is much more human this his depiction of the Black Templars, for example.

ADB and Abnett are the only two authors that really 'get' the difference between Heresy era Marines and Modern marines. They give their characters far more emotion and humanity, which is right. Its only after the codex astartes is written that Marines are trained in culture of robotism. Heresy was caused by ambition after all, it cannot be allowed.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

All this talk of assault cannons makes me hungry for some in my army. What's the ideal Space Marine unit/model for maximum rear end cannon utility? I'd assume it would be the Razorback, but I'd generally prefer to be able to transport larger squads than that, so I was thinking Stormtalon.

Stormtalon is great, as the cannon it has is 360 degrees, so you can scoot past an enemy flyer and still shoot it in the butt.

vvv: drat it man! Let them live normal, non-destitute, unhammed lives!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 4, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

I have two little nephews who are ALMOST old enough to get into this terrible hobby. My wife hates the idea. Maybe in a Christmas or two I'll send them a starter set, although Dark Vengeance is maybe a little too mature for them. Battle for Macragge would've been perfect.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Sulecrist posted:

I have two little nephews who are ALMOST old enough to get into this terrible hobby. My wife hates the idea. Maybe in a Christmas or two I'll send them a starter set, although Dark Vengeance is maybe a little too mature for them. Battle for Macragge would've been perfect.

How about Assault on Black Reach? Seems like a good fit.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ugly John posted:

How about Assault on Black Reach? Seems like a good fit.

Yeah, that'd work too.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
What's with everyone suddenly painting Krom Dragongazes for peoples birthdays and how come they all own?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ANAmal.net posted:

What's with everyone suddenly painting Krom Dragongazes for peoples birthdays and how come they all own?

Its a legit cool as gently caress model.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I don't like double-headed axes but yeah it is quite good-looking.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Orks aren't the only race that didn't get a points drop on their basic model. IIRC, Guardians and Fire Warriors both went up a point.

Dire Avengers went up 1 point to 13, Guardians are still the same though their unit requirement increased from 5 to 10.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
He reminds me of one of the older codex covers with the two Space wolves and the ork. Just with more bling.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also that converted captain with the Minotaurs chaplain head was one of the most well posed models i've seen in years congrats goon that did it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've never really played 40k, I played Space Hulk a couple of times when I was young but never really went onto the table top game itself however, recently my fencing group has also formed a gaming group of around 12 people who have played 40K quite regularly. This afforded me the opportunity to borrow an army and play a couple of games, I lost badly in both but had a fun time and I'd really like to get into it a bit more seriously. I've decided to build a chaos army (Emperor's Children) because that seems to be the only army missing and I was given 2 Dark Vengeance Chaos sets and like the look of them.

Just wondering what advice you guys would have for a novice for either tactics, collecting, painting etc.., I'm in the UK if it makes any difference.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

I've never really played 40k, I played Space Hulk a couple of times when I was young but never really went onto the table top game itself however, recently my fencing group has also formed a gaming group of around 12 people who have played 40K quite regularly. This afforded me the opportunity to borrow an army and play a couple of games, I lost badly in both but had a fun time and I'd really like to get into it a bit more seriously. I've decided to build a chaos army (Emperor's Children) because that seems to be the only army missing and I was given 2 Dark Vengeance Chaos sets and like the look of them.

Just wondering what advice you guys would have for a novice for either tactics, collecting, painting etc.., I'm in the UK if it makes any difference.

In terms of painting, take baby steps. Your first goal should be to apply neat, uniform solid base coats that stay in the lines. This is pretty much the foundation to all painting. Don't worry about any other techniques until you have this down. There are people who want to try to paint object source lighting where they can't even stay in the lines and put down a basecoat properly and the end results are always poo poo. Space marines are pretty forgiving to paint with chaos maybe being a little more difficult but you will have more interesting things to paint. Slaaneshi marines will be fun because you can use lots of loud colours if you like and nothing is too ridiculous.

When you have your base coats down, you're thinning your paint, giving models a light prime before painting and looking after your paints and brushes properly start looking at new techniques to learn. Because you've just been doing solid basecoats you now have models to practice these new techniques on. I would suggest the next things to learn would be drybrushing and using inks and washes. These are the techniques that are pretty easy and give great results for the amount of time you spend doing them. I use these techniques on litereally every model I paint. Even if it is just drybrushing sand on bases.

After you have those sorted out start learning about layering, edge highlighting and glazes. Then move onto blending and non metallic metal or whatever else tickles your fancy.

Also, learn to use an airbrush early. Even if you just use it for priming and laying down a 1 colour basecoat you will save money and time.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Ultragonk posted:

As far as what comes in the Dark Vengeance set, the Cultists are a definite keeper. I get good use out of the Helbrute included and you could have fun with the Helcult Formation if you wanted to. The Chosen models in the kit are gorgeous, but the selection of weapons is a little wonky. There's enough bolter Marines (in the same pose) to use for four standard CSM and one of the other weapon types as the Aspiring Champion, but it depends on your plans.

What kind of points levels are you all thinking of playing and what kind of budget would you be looking at to expand your current selection?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I'll break up the trend of Kroms with a Librarian I knocked together then.

I really don't like how the wrist came out, at all. It looks a bit like he's got a tumour growing there. Should I just replace it with a bolt pistol?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

For general thoughts and tactics you could do worse than 1d4chan.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/6th_Edition_Tactics/Chaos_Space_Marines

When it comes to collecting models, Ebay is your friend. You can pick up common units, tactical squads etc pretty cheap. Stripping paint isn't that hard. Sometimes whole armies are sold for a good deal. Just keep an eye on things and don't overbid, there'll always be new offers.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Also, choose simple color schemes that follow the natural lines and breaks in the models. Try to pick just 3-5 colors (primary, secondary, metallic, leather) rather than having a mix of red and yellow and green and black and blue and white on every model.

If I were a brand new painter doing Marines, here's how I'd do it:

1) Prime the entire thing from head to toe.
2) Basecoat the entire thing from head to toe (except the base). If you're doing Emperor's Children, it should be some kind of pink or purple.
3) Paint the details (including the metal parts) black.
4) Paint the metal parts metal.
5) Add a wash or two. (Brown or black over the whole thing, or purple on the purple stuff and black everywhere else).
6) Take a break! You probably won't like the result at this point, but this is way better to play with than bare plastic.
7) Clean it up. This basically boils down to doing steps 2-4 all over again, but leaving the existing paintjob in the cracks and recesses, and using a lighter tint of pink/purple.

When you're feeling more confident, you can go back and add more details and fix mistakes, but at the beginning it's best to just get on with it and crank through the first squad as fast as you can, imo.

Edit: somewhere on the Internet there is a video for each one of these steps that explains and shows very clearly exactly how to do it. Each step is kind of a different technique, so don't feel like you need to learn how to do everything I said right at the beginning. Like Big Willy Style said, focus on basecoating first and laying down thin, even coats of paint that don't obscure detail.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Chance II posted:

Finished some more Blood Angels but I think I might go back and change the trim color on the tacs to black rather than scarlet. Plus I just noticed that the Sarge's trim is a bit brighter than everyone else. Also, old metal dreadnaught is best dreadnaught.

You could do with having your paint thinned. The big big BIG problem with red is that if your coats aren't smooth, it will be blindingly obvious. Red overall can be a tricky color, so I recommend using a red primer that matches your main color as close as possible; it'll do half the work for you and ensure that things look a lot smoother overall. Army Painter has a good red primer, if a bit expensive for a rattle can. Whatever you do, don't do red over a black primer, it is easily the biggest pain in the rear end.

ANAmal.net posted:

I dunno man but I kinda want someone to commission me to paint one up, he looks fun as gently caress to do.

Sykic posted:

I'll break up the trend of Kroms with a Librarian I knocked together then.

I really don't like how the wrist came out, at all. It looks a bit like he's got a tumour growing there. Should I just replace it with a bolt pistol?

First, that green is sexy. The whole model is, really.

Second, the hand looks a little limp-wristed, like maybe he broke it at the joint and it's just flappin' about. I'd try it again, maybe making it a bit more vertical and do without the lump there; glue it to the end of the forearm then smooth out any gaps with greenstuff. It may not look quite as natural, but it'll look better overall. Look at the DV librarian as an example.

Finally, I'd suggest some sort of glow coming from the palm, so it looks like he's about to summon some dreadful psychic power. Orange and yellow would contrast well with the blue and green. Keep it subtle. I did the same thing with my Libby, although I had the aid of an airbrush.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ultragonk posted:

We also have a pretty awesome painting thread for all your more specific painting questions:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I've taken an entirely new outlook on running boyz in my lists. Objective Secured pretty much guarantees the mob will be shot to poo poo and helping their attackers along the way, particularly when a friend who plays guard is calling 3 pinning orders a turn. I've turned instead, inspired by a post in this thread, to running just one enormous murderblob detachment led by a warboss around the table--that one that gets HoW and whatnot. Do detachments like that besides Green Tide run around and count as a single unit? I ask because it'd be way funny to throw the Big Bosspole on it and go to town.

e: The Greenskin Horde formation, specifically. Green Tide says as much.

e: Just figured out I don't care: 'ardboyz mob led by a Painboy is 340 points for a 4+ 5+FNP mob of assholes.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 4, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Boon posted:

Dire Avengers went up 1 point to 13, Guardians are still the same though their unit requirement increased from 5 to 10.

Nah, guardians also went up a point to 9, and their minimum unit size has been 10 since 3E.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

serious gaylord posted:

ADB and Abnett are the only two authors that really 'get' the difference between Heresy era Marines and Modern marines. They give their characters far more emotion and humanity, which is right. Its only after the codex astartes is written that Marines are trained in culture of robotism. Heresy was caused by ambition after all, it cannot be allowed.

The Codex Astartes is for pansies and smurfs. :colbert:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, guardians also went up a point to 9, and their minimum unit size has been 10 since 3E.

Ah, well, never mind then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Y'all niggas ain't got anything on Captain Warhead. :downsrim:

:vomarine: 7thBatallion where are you? :vomarine:

I sent an email but received no reply.

• Locked thread