Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

sry interrupting outlook chat

edit: pop-up title added in screencap for emphasis

whenever i see charts like this does saying "windows 8" also include 8.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
sorry we need to also include windows 8.1 update 1 on the chart too

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

whenever i see charts like this does saying "windows 8" also include 8.1?

i'm guessing yes since according to this they both have ~13% of the market.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its probably just going off UA ?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

fleshweasel posted:

how badly do you have to gently caress up to make your uptake drop on the latest version of your OS

I'm guessing its about the same amount you need for "downgrade rights" to be a major vendor advertising bullet point

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol and each coach is swapping through that many tablets too because windows is such a terrible os on battery
i'd be pissed if i opened the lil gatorade fridge on the sidelines and it was full of tablets. smashin that poo poo.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
im currently working on a project with a guy that totes around a surface rt and a 9 lb 18" asus laptop (he had to buy a special backpack for it)

hes also the only person i know irl that has a xbone

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

homo punching bag posted:

i'd be pissed if i opened the lil gatorade fridge on the sidelines and it was full of tablets. smashin that poo poo.

pour it over the winning coach's head

make it hail tablets

Beeftweeter posted:

hes also the only person i know irl that has a xbone

does he carry that in his custom backpack too?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

does he carry that in his custom backpack too?

no mere backpack could hold the awesome power brick of the xbone

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

notice hte loose power cables, which means that these don't slide in and dock for easy recharging; you have to attach the fiddly power connector (which is still fiddly even though its magnetic) before putting the thing into the box

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/496129844355555328

quote:

Doug Marrone says his tablet did not work in first half tonight. NFL implementing that technology on sidelines beginning tonight.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

surprise!

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

if it's a 5 year deal i wonder if they'll ever actually get new tablets or just use the same ones in 2019

they're probably the rts they wrote off too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it's a specific simple embedded application, they'd be foolish not to use RTs

i bet they're top of the line surface 3s

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

hobbesmaster posted:

much like any vendor would on a high-profile product application

but microsoft figured out how to gently caress it up as per usual

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

article said surface pro 2

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
probably running some lovely app that requires internet explorer 6 in a vm too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

every paragraph is a gem

http://english.caixin.com/2014-07-30/100710968.html

quote:

(Beijing) – The country's commerce regulator announced on July 28 it is conducting an anti-monopoly investigation into Microsoft Corp. because the U.S. software giant was suspected of breaking trade rules, a sign the company's links to the government are fraying.

The State Administration for Industry & Commerce (SAIC) sent teams to Microsoft's offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Chengdu, in the southwestern province of Sichuan. They seized documents and computers.

The SAIC said Microsoft's senior employees should come to it if they had inquiries, its statement said.

Microsoft's subsidiary in China said in a statement it will cooperate with the authorities on the inquiry.

In June 2013, companies in China complained that Microsoft did not release information about Windows operating systems and Office software, and the lack of information caused compatibility problems with other software. Companies also griped they had to buy the entire Office package as one, instead of being able to separately purchase Word and PowerPoint, for example. There were also complaints that Internet Explorer and other software had to be installed along with Windows.

The regulator said that after investigating for one year it could not dispel suspicions that Microsoft's behavior violated the country's Anti-Monopoly Law.

Microsoft set up an office in Beijing in 1992 and had a good relationship with the central and local levels of government, industry sources said. The deteriorating relationship was concerning to investors, the sources said.

Microsoft shares closed at US$ 43.88 on July 29 on New York's Nasdaq Stock Market. This was down 0.19 percent from the previous day.

Microsoft said last year it would stop providing updates for the 13-year-old Windows XP on April 8, 2014. It also stopped selling Windows 7 and raised the price of Windows 8 late last year. Windows 8 now sells for 888 yuan.

China has about 200 million computers running Windows XP, and most are in state-owned enterprises and government departments.

China is flooded with pirated software, but most government computers use genuine operating systems, said Zhang Qunying, a senior IT commentator. Microsoft's refusal to provide preferential policies to the Chinese market caused the tension between the company and the government, she said.

Officials from the country's copyright authority asked Microsoft in late 2013 to set prices according to China's situation, improve its services and consider the interests of the country's users of its software.

On May 16, the Central Government Procurement Center, which is in charge of buying items government departments need, published a notice saying government computers should not use the Windows 8 operating system.

The government said it was concerned about the safety of information because Windows 8 allows users to share content on a cloud, an analyst specializing in U.S. stocks said, referring to data stored on servers that users access via the Internet.

If Microsoft could not improve its relationship with Chinese government, it would encounter more problems, the analyst said. "The relationship has become very bad. If Microsoft does not change things, the situation will deteriorate. The worst outcome is that Microsoft will have to suspend its businesses in China."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol all this fallout over windows xp. jfc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
this is the first step to them legalizing windows piracy

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

this is the first step to them legalizing windows piracy

so, changing basically gently caress-all, in other words.

windows piracy is already quasi-legal there, microsoft had a deal a while back for china where if you brought them a convincing-looking pirated copy (like, disc had an actual hologram and poo poo like that) they'd give you a legit license in exchange

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
aren't the chinese government switching to linux anyway

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
2014 year of the linux on the chinese government desktop

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

which is ironic because an operating that is supposed to be the most 'open' is being appropriated by one of the most closed nations in the world

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Metrication posted:

aren't the chinese government switching to linux anyway

i think they're switching to red star os for solidarity with their nk juche bros

oh, and its latest version resembles macos so it's already outdoing windows

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that's the north korean one

also is that just a modified OS X?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

p sure it's a linux with a macos skin of some kind

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

[img-shaggar-signal.png]

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

that's the north korean one

also is that just a modified OS X?

yes its Linux

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

judging by the state of those dock icons and the nation itself i find it easier to believe they modified OS X wrote their own Finder and About this Mac and unified menu bar.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the giveaway that it's not os x is the 500mb of ram

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah or maybe the kernel name right in the goddamn screenshot

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
It kind of looks like LXDE to me, it can be themed and extended in a lot of crazy ways to resemble OS X.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

[img-shaggar-signal.png]

Shaggar posted:

yes its Linux

thats quite a response time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

engage full-on desperation mode

quote:

Gamescom is just days away, and Microsoft could be using the German expo as a platform to announce another Xbox One price cut.
At the time of writing, the mobile version of the Spanish Xbox One site shows the console listed with a new price of €349.99 for the sans-Kinect version, down from €399.
That's a significant slash, making Xbox One €50 cheaper than the PS4's current price.
While it's only showing on the Spanish site right now, it's possible that it'll be a global price cut, possibly bringing the Xbox one down to £300/$350 if it's going to undercut the PS4 in other regions. Or it may just be European-wide for now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
holy lol if they drop it $50 again i can't wait to see the xbox faithful explode demanding they get a price adjustment, free game, or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The government said it was concerned about the safety of information because Windows 8 allows users to share content on a cloud, an analyst specializing in U.S. stocks said, referring to data stored on servers that users access via the Internet.

ON A :yayclod:

• Locked thread