Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Freddy posted:

Sooo how do you get the string to the bottom?

Melt it all and dump it back into the jar, maybe shove it down with a chopstick or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why wouldn't you just buy a candle?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Oh FFS, really? Really? REALLY?

Oh, I saw this one posted to Facebook with a buzzfeed sort of title like "You've been using ketchup cups wrong your entire life." So, you know, this isn't a "hack". Rather, everyone who uses them without unfolding them is just doing it wrong and you can now be super-smug about it to them.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

A what?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The gently caress's a candle? That some weird new sex tip?

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

It can be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

It won't work with any other type of camera phone! What disappoints me most about this one is the example in the photo is a DVD of Following, "from the director of Memento." If he'd been holding up a DVD of Memento, that would have been meta enough to at least give me a chuckle.
Lifehack: tattoo a list of items you've lent to your friends on your body so you will remember down the road. John G. has my Following DVD. Will claim he gave it back. Don't believe his lies.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Found through twitter retweets. I'm afraid to look at the blog.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Yeah, go ahead and spasm a bunch while the doctor is shoving a tiny breakable metal tube into your body.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Croccers posted:

Jiggle the needle some more, it'll help

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Currently training to learn how to stick needles into people. Please don't loving do this.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Croccers posted:

I had to go check. It's apparently less lifehacks and more, uh

Well I guess that's cute?

Alright, sure, if you say so.

okay yeah no

They actually source their stuff for the most part, and some of the sources even seem somewhat reputable.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp
Lifehack: buy half of a Darth Vader mask to wear in public and at home instead of using the wall charger that came with your phone! Convenient!

Lifehack: skip eating your chips and getting gross crumby hands and get straight to sprinkling Doritos dust over all of your possessions!

:confused: What kind of nasty-rear end dish are you preparing that you'd grind up Doritos to use as seasoning? I tried searching and apparently people sprinkle it on popcorn and baked mac and cheese? Now that's just uncultured.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Robot Jelly posted:

:confused: What kind of nasty-rear end dish are you preparing that you'd grind up Doritos to use as seasoning? I tried searching and apparently people sprinkle it on popcorn and baked mac and cheese? Now that's just uncultured.

I guess it's that time again where this video gets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cppOojKBNko

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sagebrush posted:

Most supermarkets will somewhere have a pile of loaves of bread that come in paper bags instead of plastic and aren't sliced. These breads were baked that morning, have no high fructose corn syrup or preservatives in them, and only as much sugar as is needed to feed the yeast for the style. This is the kind of bread most of the world eats.

You will have to deal with slicing it yourself *gasp* and it will go hard after three days and moldy after five *gasp* because that's what bread does when it's not loaded up with propylene glycol and BHT.
The time it takes bread to go stale or mouldy depends on the climate and how it's stored.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Humans can also do this with babies, in fact!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Robot Jelly posted:

Lifehack: buy half of a Darth Vader mask to wear in public and at home instead of using the wall charger that came with your phone! Convenient!

Lifehackhack: Instead of thinking up a cool way to save time or effort, just make an unpaid ad for a product that solves a problem no one has.

I'm also reasonably sure that that mask is a student design project and not something real. If it is real I doubt that it would work very well, if at all.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wanamingo posted:

I had to go check. It's apparently less lifehacks and more, uh

Well yeah, it's named "ultrafacts" not "ultrahacks".

FutonForensic posted:

Can I replace the water with Dorito consomme while making the Dorito consomme to give it a Southwestern kick?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I think this one is actually pretty neat.

Sagebrush posted:

Humans can also do this with babies, in fact!

Cats can have kittens from multiple fathers IN THE SAME LITTER. Kitten A is from Cat A, Kitten B from Cat B, etc etc

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Robot Jelly posted:

I wonder if it is painful to remove the mask.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Cats can have kittens from multiple fathers IN THE SAME LITTER. Kitten A is from Cat A, Kitten B from Cat B, etc etc

So can humans, though it's really uncommon.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Fair dinkum, this one actually works. It only helps you tell "completely dead" from "at least somewhat charged/fully charged" but it's already been pretty useful for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRf9JTg3QwA

I was thinking about the Crisco candle thing - if it's soft you could feed the wick in using a straw (feed through straw, tie knot, push knot down, pull straw out) *lifehack*.

That doesn't answer the question of why you'd want a 45 day candle though.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

e X posted:

I wonder if it is painful to remove the mask.

Extremely.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

FutonForensic posted:

hahaha :wtc: When insane people cook.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

pretty sad that a page later this wasn't shopped into goatse

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Rad Tad posted:

pretty sad that a page later this wasn't shopped into goatse

where's the onion ring

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My parents' previous dog was the only black-and-white Border collie/spaniel-type dog in a litter of wholly unremarkable sandy brown pups. Many full and happy years later, when she had died of old age and my parents were adopting a Border puppy, they were told that dog litters can have multiple sires. :ms:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Squish posted:

Fair dinkum, this one actually works. It only helps you tell "completely dead" from "at least somewhat charged/fully charged" but it's already been pretty useful for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRf9JTg3QwA

I was thinking about the Crisco candle thing - if it's soft you could feed the wick in using a straw (feed through straw, tie knot, push knot down, pull straw out) *lifehack*.

That doesn't answer the question of why you'd want a 45 day candle though.

Or why you would want a candle with a flammable container

Edit: That crisco is a metal tin, usually its cardboard

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Ewan posted:

Yes, but it is marketed as "OMG Whole Foods 100% Sugar Free!" and still has a 20-long list of ingredients including either a sweetener or a sugar substitute. Whereas over here, it's difficult to find supermarket bread with sugar in it and they have like 5 ingredients.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nature-39-s-Own-100-Whole-Grain-Sliced-Bread-16-Oz/10449995 has maltilol as its third ingredient, which has 90% sweetness of sucrose and is commonly used as a sugar sustitute
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mrs-Baird-s-Whole-Grain-Wheat-Sugar-Free-Bread-20-oz/10403383 this one has malt extract (which is like sticky sweet syrup)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Healthy-Life-Sugar-Free-100-Whole-Grain-Wheat-Bread-16-oz/10318687 and this one is loving sweetened with Splenda.

Wtf is it with you guys and sweet bread. I can understand in some recipes the use of sugar to speed up the fermentation of the yeast, but what possible reason is there to take out the sugar and replace it with a similar sweetening substitute??

Your challenge: find me some supermarket American bread that doesn't have sugar, HFCS or a sweetening agent in it.

Every single grocery store around here (Price Chopper, Hannaford, Walmart, Shop Rite, Price Rite, Aldi) has multiple varieties of bread that don't have sugar in them, and virtually all of them sell local bakery bread like Pereccas or Matriantonios that have little or no sugar. This really isn't an issue unless you're a basement ridden goon who has never actually BEEN to a grocery store. I mean you would have to go right to the wonder bread to find something actually that bad, and if you're incapable of getting past the first loaf you see before you make your decision, then you really shouldn't be doing the shopping.

lifehack: actually go the grocery store rather than assuming you know what's in there based on a huffpo article about HFCS

Pauline Kael has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Aug 4, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pauline Kael posted:

Every single grocery store around here (Price Chopper, Hannaford, Walmart, Shop Rite, Price Rite, Aldi) has multiple varieties of bread that don't have sugar in them, and virtually all of them sell local bakery bread like Pereccas or Matriantonios that have little or no sugar. This really isn't an issue unless you're a basement ridden goon who has never actually BEEN to a grocery store. I mean you would have to go right to the wonder bread to find something actually that bad, and if you're incapable of getting past the first loaf you see before you make your decision, then you really shouldn't be doing the shopping.

lifehack: actually go the grocery store rather than assuming you know what's in there based on a huffpo article about HFCS

No, it's vegetables goons don't know anything about, not bread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Choco1980 posted:

I don't really understand how you're supposed to get the string in there without making a huge mess...

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
#LifeHack Don't go to the store to buy your bread. Order it online!
http://www.amazon.com/NATURES-OWN-WHOLE-WHEAT-BREAD/dp/B0082WYA5E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1407162908&sr=8-9&keywords=bread

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

You know what? I don't care if you are stationed in Afghanistan, paying $18 for a loaf of bread is stupid as poo poo.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Karma Monkey posted:

You know what? I don't care if you are stationed in Afghanistan, paying $18 for a loaf of bread is stupid as poo poo.

But if you read the reviews, it appears to be marked down from $27. What a steal!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

I can't claim to know how terrible shipping is for the Army of Marines, but if I'm ordering bread when on deployment. The Navy will have likely smashed or lost the order to the point to where if I were ever receive said bread, it'd be a flat, hard, expired loaf of wasted money.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Squallege posted:

flat, hard, expired loaf of wasted money.

Amazon has that too!

Uh, can someone please explain this one?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
There was some youtube of a guy that claimed you could use the bones in your head as an antenna to increase the range of your car fob.

Then someone demonstrated that it actually worked because holding it up to your head meant you were holding it higher than before except this way you can be really smug and stupid about it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I would think you don't want to be too far away from your vehicle when you unlock it, lest some uninvited passengers sneak in before you get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Karma Monkey posted:

Amazon has that too!

Uh, can someone please explain this one?

http://www.remcom.com/examples/keyless-entry.html