Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

One of my favorite trivia questions to give was name the Best Picture winners with animals in the title.

Man, I can't think of one.

weekly font posted:

I've been enjoying the lovely Shot of the Day but this is the first one I disagree with. That shot does make me feel uneasy and disoriented. So without any of the context, because I can't remember where that happens, the shot at least does SOMETHING which is a huge step up from everything else thus far.

It's a fun game to play, I want one to be posted that I will defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Do Stan Lee's cameos in the Marvel movies make him (technically) the highest grossing actor in cinema history?

According to The-Numbers.com his total box office is about $10 billion.

http://www.the-numbers.com/person/83860401-Stan-Lee#tab=summary

No, because I'm fairly certain SLJ and Frank Welker top him.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man, I can't think of one.

Spoiled for those trying to take a stab at it and apologies for derailing comics chat.

Silence of the Lambs
Deer Hunter
Slumdog Millionaire
Dances With Wolves
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

People will inevitably say "Dog Day Afternoon."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The only I could come up with was Dog Day Afternoon, but really the problem is that I just can't recall Best Picture winners before Forrest Gump without looking them up.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

weekly font posted:

Spoiled for those trying to take a stab at it and apologies for derailing comics chat.

Silence of the Lambs
Deer Hunter
Slumdog Millionaire
Dances With Wolves
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

People will inevitably say "Dog Day Afternoon."

I'm not sure I would count number 3

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheJoker138 posted:

"When you take away the context of this shot that heavily relies on what context it's in, it looks weird and bad!"

That's some grade A analysis right there.

Out of context, Thor looks hella drunk.

In context, Thor and the other characters are just being abnormally arrogant. They're not hallucinating.

"Bad on purpose" is a tricky game to play. A mistake, repeated deliberately, becomes a technique and all that. But in this case, none of the other shots are bad in the same way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Agreed, definitely never saw a dutch angle shot of Thor before.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

aBagorn posted:

I'm not sure I would count number 3

Yeah, I would count the other four for full points. Three is bonus and if you argue Rain Man because Man is an animal I like you and you get a point.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Out of context, Thor looks hella drunk.

See, I feel the opposite. The shot makes me feel like my world is going tospy-turvy while Thor is laughing about it. Like he just drugged my drink at a frat party.

In context, that's still not great.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 4, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm writing a pub film trivia quiz. If you've got a cinema question you'd like to see a drunk crowd tackle let me know and I'll put it in.

I recently read that the real answer to that question was Samuel L Jackson and that Gary Oldman might have overtaken him.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

TheJoker138 posted:

"When you take away the context of this shot that heavily relies on what context it's in, it looks weird and bad!"

That's some grade A analysis right there.

The shot should provide the context. This is called cinematography.

I assumed that shot was from an outtake where ThorMan fluffed his lines, or was impersonating the bruce campbell freakout scene in evil dead 2.

Similarly, a lot of other Avengers shots look like car commercials with people in front of them. The shots are lovingly arranged but not of the people, like they didn't block them in advance. I made this exact mistake a whole bunch of times and the only film I ever directed was Shrek 3.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed, definitely never saw a dutch angle shot of Thor before.

The angle alone is not what's under contention.

It's that the yellow wire is the most prominent part of the image. The composition would make a bit more sense if Thor were holding up some important object in front of the wire, or if the wire were a timebomb or other element of narrative tension to go with the visual tension. The composition, as it stands, strongly deemphasizes Thor's face, but doesn't emphasize anything else.

weekly font posted:

See, I feel the opposite. The shot makes me feel like my world is going tospy-turvy while Thor is laughing about it. Like he just drugged my drink at a frat party.

You're right; that's more accurate. Since his expression is deemphasized, it's the cameraman who appears drunk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

The shot should provide the context. This is called cinematography.

I assumed that shot was from an outtake where ThorMan fluffed his lines, or was impersonating the bruce campbell freakout scene in evil dead 2.

Similarly, a lot of other Avengers shots look like car commercials with people in front of them. The shots are lovingly arranged but not of the people, like they didn't block them in advance. I made this exact mistake a whole bunch of times and the only film I ever directed was Shrek 3.

I know what cinematography is you condescending prick. And that shot does give context when it is in the film. It is one of many Dutch angle shots that shows, through this magical cinematography thing I somehow missed in film school, that the staff is manipulating our characters. It is, in fact, a less over the top version of that Evil Dead scene.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 4, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I know what cinematography is you condescending prick. And that shot does give context when it is in the film. It is one of many Dutch angle shots that shows, through this magical cinematography thing I somehow missed in film school, that the staff is manipulating our characters.
Why is Thor only like the far right third of the shot? Why is that panel lit up more than anything else in there? Why does it look like the cameraman/viewer is on a gurney looking up at Thor like he's an EMT?

Not being an rear end in a top hat, I'd actually like to hear an explanation. This whole cinematography chat actually helped me enjoy Guardians more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You know I actually love Avengers. I rewatched it last night, and I think it's a great, fun movie with an excellent cast, a really smooth pace and a lot of very clever, snappy writing. But the cinematography really is very rotten for large parts of the movie. I think it's way worse in the first half - the entire opening scene where Loki steals the tesseract just looks atrocious. Here's a shot that really stood out to me:

This is the second shot of Hawkeye in the film, and the first one where he actually does anything other than just sit still. Why does it look like this? Why is it framed this way? Why is it so weirdly lit? What does this tell us about anything in the movie? That Hawkeye likes high places and he's good at rappelling down from stuff? You can't see it in this picture, but the camera slowly rotates as he's going down, and it's just confusing and nonsensical to look at. The cinematography doesn't so much look like TV-direction to me, it looks more like bad action direction from the 90s. Like Batman & Robin only without any of the camp or flamboyancy.

I wouldn't call it an ugly movie, but it's not very exciting or creative to look at, and it mostly coasts by on budget alone. Despite all these crappy shots, it still manages to not look cheap for the vast majority of the movie, and that's probably the best thing I can say about the cinematography.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 4, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

Why is Thor only like the far right third of the shot? Why is that panel lit up more than anything else in there? Why does it look like the cameraman/viewer is on a gurney looking up at Thor like he's an EMT?

Not being an rear end in a top hat, I'd actually like to hear an explanation. This whole cinematography chat actually helped me enjoy Guardians more.

TetsuoTW posted:

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm on my phone at work but if no one else answers these by the time I'm off I'll give my thoughts on all of them when I get to a real keyboard.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Its because the director was like, this shot has to be weird, because something weird is happening, so lets move the camera to a weird place. thats it. the lighting is weird because it wasnt adjusted from the wide shot

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Reading a review of the new Turtles movie. Not surprising it's a bad movie, but I'm always surprised by just how bad a movie can be. Sometimes I feel like Hollywood is just a place where people try to one-up each other with dumb ideas.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Reading a review of the new Turtles movie. Not surprising it's a bad movie, but I'm always surprised by just how bad a movie can be. Sometimes I feel like Hollywood is just a place where people try to one-up each other with dumb ideas.

so...... you didnt see it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jamesman posted:

My review for this review of a review: 0 stars

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Everyone knows reviews are the objective truth, duh.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jamesman posted:

I don't know what you're thinking, but the past two years have been awesome for comic book movies, mainly thanks to Marvel. It only adds to Michael Bay's shame that he's surrounded by so many movies showing how to do comic book properties well.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Why do people keep referring to TMNT as though Michael Bay directed it?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

Everyone knows reviews are the objective truth, duh.

It's not about if the reviewer liked the movie or not, but what the reviewer shares regarding the content of the movie, and that is objective truth.

Unless they're just making the stuff up, but unless there was a hoax and advance screenings were a joke movie, or all the journalists are lying about the turtles and Splinter being April's pets that were part of a experimented on by April's father and Shredder, then yeah this movie sounds kinda dumb to me.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Why do people keep referring to TMNT as though Michael Bay directed it?

Because the studio did a hosed job at presenting this movie properly, so Michael Bay is the only one who gets any recognition.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jamesman posted:

Unless they're just making the stuff up, but unless there was a hoax and advance screenings were a joke movie, or all the journalists are lying about the turtles and Splinter being April's pets that were part of a experimented on by April's father and Shredder, then yeah this movie sounds kinda dumb to me.

Who could possibly care?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Jamesman posted:

It's not about if the reviewer liked the movie or not, but what the reviewer shares regarding the content of the movie, and that is objective truth.

Yeah that sounds dumb. But how is it any dumber than any other TMNT origin?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Who could possibly care?

You guys have been spending dozens of pages entertaining SMG's Avengers fetish. I think I'm allowed to call out a movie for some stupid storytelling and not have anyone point fingers about caring too much about things.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jamesman posted:

You guys have been spending dozens of pages entertaining SMG's Avengers fetish. I think I'm allowed to call out a movie for some stupid storytelling and not have anyone point fingers about caring too much about things.

Oh no, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' incredibly important origin story has been ruined.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm pretty sure in the current comic the turtles and Splinter were subjects of experiments that April was helping to work on and were her de facto pets.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oh no, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' incredibly important origin story has been ruined.

Yep they removed Matt Murdock.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

This is the second shot of Hawkeye in the film

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice Hawkeye in the shot until you pointed it out! This is the focal character in the scene!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jamesman posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo what you think about a movie you haven't even seen.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Guys the new TMNT's origin story is ridiculously stupid. Instead of a trained ninja being turned into a rat and training his pet turtles as ninjas, he

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Donatello wears goggles like some kind of drat nerd. 0/10, childhood ruined.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also I believe in the comic they are reincarnated Japanese warriors. So stupidity is kind of the name of the game when it comes to TMNT.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's not about MY PRECIOUS CHILDHOOD. It's about how dumb it is. April can run into and befriend the turtles, and the turtles can fight Shredder, without them all needing some mysterious past connecting them all through destiny or some poo poo. That's bad writing. That's all I'm talking about here. Posting in the comic book movie thread about a comic book movie, and how this sounds dumb because it is dumb.

If you want, I could go all SMG and discuss the Oedipal Complex of the turtles wanting to gently caress their "mother" if that makes you feel better about me talking about this.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo what you think about a movie you haven't even seen.

I think I've seen you in YouTube comments before.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jamesman posted:

If you want, I could go all SMG and discuss the Oedipal Complex of the turtles wanting to gently caress their "mother" if that makes you feel better about me talking about this.

Is this what SMG does?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this what SMG does?

I tune in and out. I just remember something about Jurassic Park and Dr. Manhattan's penis or something?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Interesting, I hadn't realized that characters having a shared backstory was inherently bad writing. Guess you learn something every day.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Interesting, I hadn't realized that characters having a shared backstory was inherently bad writing. Guess you learn something every day.

At least he agrees that the Avengers sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this what SMG does?

He is into psychoanalysis.

Jamesman, perhaps you could post a link to the review you read, and then we could all decide for ourselves how dumb the movie sounds.

• Locked thread