Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

pangstrom posted:

Nobody cares but us but: all I know was when I watched the movie I found her to be a 2d-girl-written-by-a-nerd in a way I've seen a lot before and in a way that didn't help the movie and that part just came across as rear end-covering to me.
they were pretty consistent with portraying her as an actual human being, i found. i'm not really sure what was specifically 2d about her. i mean, i think i know the feeling you're talking about. i get that with a lot of kaufman's scripts - it feels like he puts a lot of himself into these, which y'know was the point in adaptation. a lot of writers tend to avoid doing this because it so easily devolves into just a personal fantasy. that was actually the main thing that prevented me from enjoying (500) days of summer - i'm usually not in the habit of giving up on films halfway through, but i couldn't get through that one. i gave it some time after the 'hmm is that the super obscure band the smiths i also enjoy them and am just what you want in a woman' elevator scene, but alas. it's a fine line to walk between a personal film and a personal fantasy, but i felt like eternal sunshine stayed on the right side of the tracks there.

it's weird, because i could have easily interpreted that smiths scene in (500) days of summer as 'well, that's super annoying but some people are just super annoying and it's actually these characters being super annoying, not the writer.' but that's not what i felt. in other films, like eternal sunshine or in linklater's before trilogy and in boyhood, i do automatically interpret the characters in that way. like in boyhood you have ethan hawke's character going on about bush in the most stereotypical american liberal during the early 2000's way. considering that those scenes were shot around that time, it's easy to interpret it as a statement by the director, but instead i saw it as just a part of hawke's character.

i think it's to do with how it's built up. both carrey and hawke have clearly been built up as essentially just being 'that guy' - being that guy fits with their character. meanwhile with Deschanel this was literally her introduction. here she is: (ugh) quirky. winslet, meanwhile, had a similar introduction where it's clear she's meant to be seen as quirky too. this is done less bluntly, however, and because up until then we've been following carrey's story rather than their story, you're dragged along with him and it's quickly made obvious that quirky wasn't the right term - she's extroverted, yes, but There's More. even in her introduction there were enough moments where the beat skipped enough to keep her interesting.

i dunno, i think that was a big part of the plot. the uneasy transition from infatuation to love, from dating to a relationship, getting to know someone better, facing reality about the expectations people have about each other, fully recognising the humanity of your significant other, etc. but i can obviously see that it's a very subjective thing and a lot depends on the quality of the writing. it convinced me, but it obviously didn't convince you while maybe you weren't turned off by the smiths scene in (500) days.

thanks for reading these words about movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

in another request for lists, have you ever been shocked by a movie? i mean, not like a jump scare or a 'drat, a serbian film', but more of a 'i'm involuntarily saying holy poo poo while wathing this'

mine are, off the top of my head: La piel que habito and Incendies. both managed to get me engrossed enough to prevent me from seeing what was going on until just before it's actually revealed - but you still have enough time to realise what's happening and i just started going 'no no no no no don't you dare that's messed up no no no' and then the scene hits. i dream of being able to write something like that, man.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

R. Mute posted:

in another request for lists, have you ever been shocked by a movie? i mean, not like a jump scare or a 'drat, a serbian film', but more of a 'i'm involuntarily saying holy poo poo while wathing this'

mine are, off the top of my head: La piel que habito and Incendies. both managed to get me engrossed enough to prevent me from seeing what was going on until just before it's actually revealed - but you still have enough time to realise what's happening and i just started going 'no no no no no don't you dare that's messed up no no no' and then the scene hits. i dream of being able to write something like that, man.

Arlington Road

It could literally ruin that movie just knowing the name, though. So it's hard to recommend without ruining the movie with the recommendation.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i dunno, unless it's a m night shyamalan type 'a truck hits you out of left field' twist, it should be fine, right? like in the films i mentioned, you go into them knowing that things will be coming to light before the end of it, but it's how it's presented and what exactly will be revealed that make it shocking - rather than the presence of a reveal itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know, between the Ebola outbreak, all the wars and rumors of wars and so on, Jack van Impe must be walking around with the hugest hardon.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/4/5967181/kentucky-state-university-president-minimum-wage

:toot:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

Fairly mild, but I watched Natural Born Killers with a friend without either of us knowing anything about it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Memento comes to mind.

Oh and Usual Suspects of course

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Oh yeah, Memento's a good one. Much better than Inception, by the way.

Another one that doesn't exactly fit the description of having a big shocking reveal, but was still plenty shocking was 'Come and See.' That's a film you watch in horrified silence and then end it off with a quiet 'drat.'

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The Big Hit, because my cousin took me to see it when I was young and I realized that I'd never get those two hours of my life back.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Grizzly Man is an example of a movie that is really good because the ending isn't at all shocking.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Grizzly Man is an example of a movie that is really good because the ending isn't at all shocking.
Also one of the few cases where narration isn't hammy nor imposing.

And it still feels like a Morris documentary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol at someone saying Werner Herzog isn't hammy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There isn't even a need to create a parody of a hammy Herzog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y

I like his dramas better than his documentaries though. Aguirre is just too much fun, and a movie with a great ending.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

You didn't find Werner Herzog telling the lady to destroy the tape shocking?;)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
His documentary about burning oil fields in Kuwait is crazy, especially with that Wagner score.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a cool one where he goes into Siberia to follow how people live in Siberia. It's called Happy People.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

There isn't even a need to create a parody of a hammy Herzog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y

Ahahaha, holy God - Herzog distilled into two and a half minutes.

quote:

I like his dramas better than his documentaries though. Aguirre is just too much fun, and a movie with a great ending.

"Fitzcarraldo" is great because it's kind of like a drama and a documentary at once, since the animosity between Klaus Kinski and everyone else around him was 100% real.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The only Herzog I've ever been exposed to has come by way of Adomian.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Radbot posted:

The only Herzog I've ever been exposed to has come by way of Adomian.

Do you mean Paul F. Tompkins? I haven't heard Adomian do Herzog, although I wouldn't be surprised.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Adomian doesn't do Herzog, but his Hitchens is a thing of beauty.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
So, what's Preet Bharara running for and when?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

R. Mute posted:

in another request for lists, have you ever been shocked by a movie?

There were two scenes in Irreversible that did that for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

So, what's Preet Bharara running for and when?

I hope never because I can't take the punny headlines that will result.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Adomian doesn't do Herzog, but his Hitchens is a thing of beauty.

"gently caress you all, yes, gently caress you all."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

"The Great Preetinder"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

My standing assumption was that he's positioning himself for Schumer's seat when it opens up, but I guess he might go for a Congressional seat.

Also, are there any Portuguese speakers in the thread who can comment on Duolingo's Portuguese set? I feel like I'm learning stuff but I'm wary that it might be a crock of poo poo.

SedanChair posted:

"The Great Preetinder"

At some point in some thread, you replied to me with a YouTube link that I glanced at the title of and didn't watch because I was phone posting, but it got saved in my reading list and I just spotted it today. Turns out it was Kurgan in Highlander talking about burning out and fading away. Man, threads take weird turns.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 4, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I just saw on the twitters that Slate published an interview with Herzog today. It contains this:

quote:

When was the first time you refused a joint?

Oh, I do not refuse it. I just pass the joint on to the next and let them do it. It’s their business. I don’t want to do it. Actually, I was completely stoned once with the composer Florian Fricke in Popol Vuh. I was at his home and he had pancakes and marmalade. And I smeared the marmalade and he started chuckling and chuckling. And I ate it and it tasted very well and I wanted another one and took another good amount of the marmalade and the marmalade had weed in it. He didn’t even tell me. I was so stoned that it took me an hour to find my home in Munich. I circled the block for a full hour until finding my place. So I have had the experience.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

At some point in some thread, you replied to me with a YouTube link that I glanced at the title of and didn't watch because I was phone posting, but it got saved in my reading list and I just spotted it today. Turns out it was Kurgan in Highlander talking about burning out and fading away. Man, threads take weird turns.

Wait...how did you respond to me with a Highlander reference about beheading me and taking my power then :tinfoil:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

SedanChair posted:

Wait...how did you respond to me with a Highlander reference about beheading me and taking my power then :tinfoil:

Because I looked at the title and knew the reference, I just rediscovered the link today and was like "I remember where this link came from but not the context." I just actually watched the clip today.

Alternatively, who said that was a reference ...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh I thought about MRAs for a second and now I'm gettin irl mad...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Bastiat Institute. Because of course it's Libertarians who made that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The Bastiat Institute. Because of course it's Libertarians who made that.

What in the world MRAs have to do with libertarianism is beyond me. I mean, I know exactly where those Venn diagrams overlap, but it ain't politics.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

'Homocide', too, hmm. Unless they are talking about gay bashing to death?

In movie-chat, going to see The Shining in a theater on Saturday :ohdear: I wonder if I should watch Room 237 before or after?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I giggled at homocide. I'm literally 12. Spellcheck your poo poo when you try to make a point!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

100/0 Prostate Cancer smdh.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

What in the world MRAs have to do with libertarianism is beyond me. I mean, I know exactly where those Venn diagrams overlap, but it ain't politics.

You're taking Libertarians at their word that they really do mean individual liberty. That's probably not the case.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

I just saw on the twitters that Slate published an interview with Herzog today. It contains this:

This is my favorite thread, I just wanted to put that out there guys.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Joementum posted:

You're taking Libertarians at their word that they really do mean individual liberty. That's probably not the case.

Isn't quoting from your own book kind of gauche?

• Locked thread