Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
He might have stopped using torture so much (not that he really had any specific situation where it would have been really useful and decided not to), but he also stopped giving a gently caress. See: guy he punched in the face to get his car without saying anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Pretty sure he only regretted "torturing" Sansa Starkish because he pushed it too far and knocked her unconscious - thus delaying further questioning...and torture.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought it was kind of dumb that Adrian Cross just happened to be Navarro's contact. Did Cross know that Chloe was being held in the basement of the very building that Navarro worked at? Was it a coincidence? Or was Adrian Cross somehow involved in Chloe's capture?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I thought it was kind of dumb that Adrian Cross just happened to be Navarro's contact. Did Cross know that Chloe was being held in the basement of the very building that Navarro worked at? Was it a coincidence? Or was Adrian Cross somehow involved in Chloe's capture?

Chloe was at the CIA building so the first episode could open with an action sequence involving Jack breaking her out.

How did Jack know she was at the CIA building to begin with? Because the writers needed him to know.

Remember, he only broke her out so she could lead him to Open Cell's super secret hideout. Jack somehow knew Chloe was being held at the CIA location, was sure that he could break her out, and was sure that she'd immediately run back to Cross' location.

Think about how contrived that is. Or rather, don't, since it's :twentyfour:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always hated those answers "Why did this happen? Because the writer wrote it that way". Might as well tell the person to gently caress off.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I always hated those answers "Why did this happen? Because the writer wrote it that way". Might as well tell the person to gently caress off.

It's a legit explanation for why certain things happen in 24, though. The plots constantly rely on unlikely and/or unexplained events to keep the story moving. Something being unlikely is one thing, but 24 particularly thrives on unexplained plot points to keep things moving.

Hell, just look at the last handful of episodes from Live Another Day. Cross was prepared to use the override immediately despite having no idea he would ever come into possession of it. And then Cheng just happens to be in London at that very moment, prepared to take possession of the override AND use it immediately. That's a lot of coincidences involving a device that may not have ever made it out of the CIA's possession.

All of that unlikely and unexplained poo poo happens because the writers needed it to. :shrug:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

hypersleep posted:

It's a legit explanation for why certain things happen in 24, though. The plots constantly rely on unlikely and/or unexplained events to keep the story moving. Something being unlikely is one thing, but 24 particularly thrives on unexplained plot points to keep things moving.

Hell, just look at the last handful of episodes from Live Another Day. Cross was prepared to use the override immediately despite having no idea he would ever come into possession of it. And then Cheng just happens to be in London at that very moment, prepared to take possession of the override AND use it immediately. That's a lot of coincidences involving a device that may not have ever made it out of the CIA's possession.

All of that unlikely and unexplained poo poo happens because the writers needed it to. :shrug:

It was revealed the Cross designed the override from the beginning, and that he was making it for the Chinese. I guess you missed that part.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Cross actually liked her. Maybe Navarro had her taken in as leverage? Would have been nice to have that filled in.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Man, I've been rewatching 24 now that it's over (for the time being only, hopefully...) and on season 5 right now...Lassie from Psych shows up as a terrorist for a full episode attack the shopping mall! Kinda fun rewatching and paying a little more attention to the side/background actors.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It was revealed the Cross designed the override from the beginning, and that he was making it for the Chinese. I guess you missed that part.

I didn't miss that part. My post was in regard to both Cross' and Cheng's plans in the last few episodes being entirely dependent on the override making it out of the CIA's possession, something neither of them could've known was a sure thing.

Also, Cross creating the override for the Chinese doesn't explain how Cheng could've known to be in London at the exact time to take possession of the device from Cross. Neither of them could've known Navarro would successfully get the override outside of the CIA, so how the hell did Cheng mobilize so quickly?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That probably would have been a better time to make use of the timejump. As it stands the timejump doesn't really make any sense. Before the season started, I assumed that the timejump would be Jack on a plane back to America.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The fact that a bunch of drones had been hijacked was worldwide news, Cheng could have two and two together and headed straight to London to find Cross. Of course that'd make more sense if he waited for the threat to be over before turning up, which limits how much time he had to travel, but since he was employing Cross to make the override device it's not unreasonable to assume he was relatively close by anyway to keep tabs on him.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Cross made the device for the Cheng who worked on behalf of the Russians. The Chinese had nothing to do with its construction except I suppose Cross assumes incorrectly that Cheng works for the Chinese. Which is out of character for him.

As usual the plot makes no sense but when has it ever.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I saw Chloe O'Brian do stand up comedy last night it was awesome. She was so cute :3:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

I saw Chloe O'Brian do stand up comedy last night it was awesome. She was so cute :3:

When she's not making the Chloe face she's actually very attractive.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

I know. It's so weird.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

jscolon2.0 posted:

I know. It's so weird.

She's a method actor.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

She was raunchy too.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

movax posted:

Man, I've been rewatching 24 now that it's over (for the time being only, hopefully...) and on season 5 right now...Lassie from Psych shows up as a terrorist for a full episode attack the shopping mall! Kinda fun rewatching and paying a little more attention to the side/background actors.

Haha, I did the same thing a month ago when I was watching it. "Holy poo poo, it's Lassie!!" Then he dies :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chuck Tanner posted:

Haha, I did the same thing a month ago when I was watching it. "Holy poo poo, it's Lassie!!" Then he dies :(

Or in the first season when you notice one of Dennis Hooper's kids is Castiel from Supernatural.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Or, you know, Samwise Gamgee showing up in season 5 like he's a regular person.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Or, you know, Samwise Gamgee showing up in season 5 like he's a regular person.

Rudy was unable to use that underdog spirit to help him survive the gas.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I'm on Ep 20 of S5 re-watch right now...the full 24 episode season reminds you of how much stuff they can cram into a season. I had forgotten all about the shopping mall and Mark Sheppard by this point and I just posted about it a few days ago.

I should probably skip re-watching S6.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

movax posted:

I should probably skip re-watching S6.

Honestly yeah. I'm loving 7 but 6 was just boring as hell.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Even the Amazon Prime episode descriptions for season 6 suck rear end. This one for 7 just made me laugh though.

e: attachments broken?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 4, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Its crazy how films and roles stay with you. I swear I thought Astin's character would get of it somehow, but there was no reason really to believe that, he was pretty much done for. But he's Rudy so I just had to believe he could. The ghost of Rudy helped the Samwise character too; I felt that Frodo was very safe and that their journey would succeed, because Rudy doesn't fail.

Same thing happened when Kiefer went and made those movies The Sentinel and Mirrors. My brain kept telling me he would Jack Bauer his way out of the situation at any moment.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Its crazy how films and roles stay with you. I swear I thought Astin's character would get of it somehow, but there was no reason really to believe that, he was pretty much done for. But he's Rudy so I just had to believe he could. The ghost of Rudy helped the Samwise character too; I felt that Frodo was very safe and that their journey would succeed, because Rudy doesn't fail.

Same thing happened when Kiefer went and made those movies The Sentinel and Mirrors. My brain kept telling me he would Jack Bauer his way out of the situation at any moment.

It's pretty :smith: in the episode when the red shirt's like "we're OK! we're gonnna be OK :unsmith:" and then 5 seconds later violently convulses and dies on the floor.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HOly poo poo the actress who plays Chloe is so terrible I couldn't even take this show seriously. I checked out a few "Best of" lists to find out if there's a consensus on the best season and it was Season 5 by a wide margin. SO I watched that, and she's JUST AS BAD. Years later and she speaks her line with absolutely no gravity, and appears to be looking to someone just off-camera to show her how to move her face to portray the emotion she should currently be expressing. I wish she took that bullet instead of the constant love interest. Is she related to Sutherland or a big time producer in real life? How did she remain employed since season one?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I think I'm going to brave Season 6 after finishing 1. Or maybe I'll do 3 first. I've never actually finished S6 before, I just got tired of it about two-thirds of the way through, so I figure I at least ought to watch it all once so I can complain about it properly.

a cop posted:

Even the Amazon Prime episode descriptions for season 6 suck rear end. This one for 7 just made me laugh though.

e: attachments broken?

The Amazon Prime descriptions are just weird. Season 5's spoil just about every plot point in an episode. On the other end of the scale, we have Season 2 with things like "Jack finds an object that will help him in his search" for the episode where he finds the nuke.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

homo punching bag posted:

HOly poo poo the actress who plays Chloe is so terrible I couldn't even take this show seriously. I checked out a few "Best of" lists to find out if there's a consensus on the best season and it was Season 5 by a wide margin. SO I watched that, and she's JUST AS BAD. Years later and she speaks her line with absolutely no gravity, and appears to be looking to someone just off-camera to show her how to move her face to portray the emotion she should currently be expressing. I wish she took that bullet instead of the constant love interest. Is she related to Sutherland or a big time producer in real life? How did she remain employed since season one?

No and she was there only from season 3. That is also her character and she does and really good job at it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

You seem to think your opinion is the normal one and we are all crazy. I assure you that this is not the case. If you really can't stand Chloe then you might as well give up now because she's the leading female role of the entire show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You seem to think your opinion is the normal one and we are all crazy. I assure you that this is not the case. If you really can't stand Chloe then you might as well give up now because she's the leading female role of the entire show.

I don't think anything of you, it's just my first time being exposed to the character in a long time and I don't remember her being so grating. Like everyone else is a professional actor and they plucked her out of a highschool play. I enjoyed the new season and season 5 was really good on Netflix, minus Chloe. You may continue your normal thread now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
In all fairness, Mary Lynn Rajskub is a terrible actress with the delivery of a text-to-speech program. We only really like her because she's the one person who stuck by Jack all these years.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Chloe is an aspie. Her emotional stuntedness and inability to make eye contact are deliberate.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's okay i'm gay too

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Chloe was as annoying as hell until she machined gunned that dude.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
She was pretty normal on Californicaton

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Season 3 Chloe was worse than Season 3 Kim.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's interesting, watching S1 episode 13 (the last episode of the original show order) and imagining what it would be like if that were the last episode of 24 we'd ever gotten.

In some ways, it plays itself as a very good ending point: Jack is reunited with his family and they fly off into the day, Palmer decides he's going to win the election once and for all so he can deal with Carl and his associates, Tony and Nina are free, Gaines is dead, Rick runs off to get a second chance. On the other hand, none of the Serbian plot has paid off, and we don't know why Andre Drazen wants Palmer dead or why it's personal with Jack. I don't know if the last "there's a second shooter" scene would have been in there if the show were ending at that point either.

Teri would still be alive, Sherry and David would still be married, Sherry would be just slightly untrustworthy rather than Lady Macbeth, and Nina would be a good guy. (In fact, as I recall, Nina was decided to be the second mole right as they started writing the second half of the season; so this is in a sense the last episode where she's not the mole.) There would basically be no long term consequences to the day (not that there would be a long term if it were canceled...). It would be an interesting little experimental show about a guy who saved his family and killed some bad dudes, the end.

Oh, there would be no onscreen torture in the entire series. Now that's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you didn't like her on It's Always Sunny then I don't want to know you

• Locked thread