Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

My opening night crowd wasn't bad, everyone laughed at the jokes and the only random applause happened when Thanos first showed his face. There was a large dude sitting alone near me who kept pulling out his phone and filming parts of the movie through his 3D glasses, but he stopped when I asked him to.

There was zero reaction for Howard the Duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lotish posted:

I dunno. Lots of people have favorite songs they don't really listen to the lyrics of.

Like the shrek song about meth

I sae this late afternoon on Sunday, and I was honestly really surprised at the turnout. It was a totally packed theater, and there were alot of familys and groups of little kids there. I thought it would be strictly the comic book/ scifi male demo, but I was wrong. I think the ads with the cute little racoon and the talking tree really did wonders bringing in a whole separate demographic.

Ive heard several people reference it as a comedy as well, so I think the movie is drawing in a wide crowd. I love scifi, but never got into marvel comics but I thought all the characterization was solid. They failed a few times with show dont tell, but its an origin story for totally new characters so I dont have a problem forgiving that. It was a hell of a ride l all the way through. I wish some more world building would have occurred, but thats just me being a sucker for scifi.

Some thoughts

The celestial was super cool

I didnt get the howard the duck scene but in hindsight thats pretty great fan service.
I really wish they had used Del Torro more. His Collectors character seemed like there should have been so much more to him.

Wanna see Cosmo talk

Wish they had explored knowwhere more.

I just started reading the comics and im confused as gently caress. Seems like they drop you into the middle of an arc.

Is Groots stuff worth reading as stand alone? If so what would you recommend?
Can someone explain the marvel like universe, multiverse and how all this cosmic poo poo fits together? I read the wiki but I was just like :catstare:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Same

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Like the shrek song about meth

I sae this late afternoon on Sunday, and I was honestly really surprised at the turnout. It was a totally packed theater, and there were alot of familys and groups of little kids there. I thought it would be strictly the comic book/ scifi male demo, but I was wrong. I think the ads with the cute little racoon and the talking tree really did wonders bringing in a whole separate demographic.

Ive heard several people reference it as a comedy as well, so I think the movie is drawing in a wide crowd. I love scifi, but never got into marvel comics but I thought all the characterization was solid. They failed a few times with show dont tell, but its an origin story for totally new characters so I dont have a problem forgiving that. It was a hell of a ride l all the way through. I wish some more world building would have occurred, but thats just me being a sucker for scifi.

Some thoughts

The celestial was super cool

I didnt get the howard the duck scene but in hindsight thats pretty great fan service.
I really wish they had used Del Torro more. His Collectors character seemed like there should have been so much more to him.

Wanna see Cosmo talk

Wish they had explored knowwhere more.

I just started reading the comics and im confused as gently caress. Seems like they drop you into the middle of an arc.

Is Groots stuff worth reading as stand alone? If so what would you recommend?
Can someone explain the marvel like universe, multiverse and how all this cosmic poo poo fits together? I read the wiki but I was just like :catstare:

There is no Groot solo stuff in the comics. He was a monster from Marvels old 50's stuff who showed up a couple times as a villain but never regularly till 2008.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw it opening night at the Alamo, and everyone got it. A perfect audience. IMAX? Not so much. I don't think anyone expected it to be funny, so they were all like "WTF" during the opening credits. And this couple next to me kept asking questions through the whole movie and rubbing each other. :jerkbag:. Every time I go to that IMAX, someone always fucks it up for me. During Godzilla, an entire Asian family :words: through the entire loving movie. THE ENTIRE MOVIE. FROM THE PREVIEWS UNTIL THE END. I don't yell at people that are close to me, so it sucked.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

The only reaction I heard (Saturday night) was an angry "I could have been in the car!" from somewhere, pretty chill crowd otherwise.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

It's weird now I think about it, but pretty much everyone who stayed laughed at that for me! Quite a few people staed too - I doubt they were all super nerds, but from the laughter and guffaws most got it. I live in the UK too, weird.

Then again it was London so all the hipsters probably got it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't know if its just great word of mouth or good advertising, but somehow this movie has convinced my 63 year old mother to step into a movie theater for the first time in like 15 years.

So good job Marvel.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 4, 2014

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
I know people keep comparing it to Star Wars, but I feel the closest comparison is Ghostbusters. I think of Ghostbusters as a comedy first, and a supernatural/scifi movie second.

My theater laughed the hardest at the black light joke.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Deathwing posted:

The only reaction I heard (Saturday night) was an angry "I could have been in the car!" from somewhere, pretty chill crowd otherwise.

My crowd was largely pissed that they sat through the credits for that. The woman in front of me said "Howard the Duck? I hated that movie."

Which is what sold the scene to me. You can't put a price tag on a good cinematic troll like that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I really liked the design of the Milano and the other Ravager fighters. Birdlike, but not so birdlike it looked stupid.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Waroduce posted:

Basically your "universe" in superhero comics is a place where there is only one iteration of a given entity, whether an object or a person or a plane of existence. In other words, it's a continuity. These universes generally include a number of subdimensions, such as the Nine Worlds (where Midgard is "our" known world, including what we would call the "universe").

So a universe is a largely predefined set of various planes of existence. In comics terms, these universes/continuities tend to be known as "Earths", because Earth is where interdimensional fuckery happens 99.9999% of the time, so it functions as a constant. There's a functionally infinite number of them, they're all different, and have their own numerical designation. There's also a supercontinuity abocve these continuities, because they can all cross over with each other. This is the Multiverse.

The setting of GotG is pretty basic: its known space, or "Midgard" in Thor terminology. This is the playground of alien empires, cosmic conquerors, and a small blue planet of outlaws.

The main universe of Marvel Comics is Earth-616. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is Earth-199999. Its most notable difference from Earth-616 is the absence of many franchises heroes and villains, such as X-Men and Spider-Man. They were seemingly lost as the universe was realigned during the Great Restructuring of 1996.

:goonsay:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 4, 2014

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

hcreight posted:

Which is what sold the scene to me. You can't put a price tag on a good cinematic troll like that.

Oh yeah, my feeling exactly. And plus, you had dancing baby Groot beforehand, anyone that could still get angry after seeing that probably deserved to be trolled anyway.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know if its just great word of mouth or good advertising, but somehow this movie has convinced my 63 year old mother to step into a movie theater for the first time in like 15 years.

So good job Marvel.
Was the last time for "The Phantom Menace"? Cause maybe she just really wanted another good space opera. Sad that she had to wait 15 years.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

hcreight posted:

My crowd was largely pissed that they sat through the credits for that. The woman in front of me said "Howard the Duck? I hated that movie."

Speaking of trolls. That fukken scene with Yondu opening the orb was so great.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Away all Goats posted:

So good job Marvel.

Same, only my dad, who is a bit crotchety and hates movies of all kinds in general. I think the last movie he willingly saw was Man in the Moon, and that's because his sister wrote it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Naet posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it sounds like your wife's marriage to a comic nerd gives her a greater-than-average comic awareness.

For sure, but she doesn't appreciate them at all. And even she's not immune to the charms of "hey that thing I've seen before is up on screen now! Cool!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's something going on with the Marvel "shared" Universe approach. Seeing these characters crop up across movies seems to tap something primal in the brain. I'm wondering if old Greek myths didn't include the gods to hype the audience up. "Oh yeah, Zeus is here! We know that guy from the Perseus story! Kick his rear end, Zeus!" Whatever it is, people respond to it.

I believe there's a myth where Hercules just shows up to say "Hey I'm Hercules", defeat the monster in front of the heroes, and then leave.

Maybe it was Jason & the Argonauts.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vishass posted:

I don't think he had a vintage Hi-Fi in his backpack when he was abducted. I assume the stereo and the anachronistic reference(s) are plot holes, but my No Prize guess is he did go back to Earth once.

I just figured he's naturally on the lookout for whatever random Terran flotsam and jetsam shows up on random space sidewalk vendor's blanket. I want to say there's even a scene from the comic where something like this happens, but it's a half memory that I might be conflating with something.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

computer parts posted:

I believe there's a myth where Hercules just shows up to say "Hey I'm Hercules", defeat the monster in front of the heroes, and then leave.

Maybe it was Jason & the Argonauts will be Thor 3.

About time the Olympians appear in the MCU.

I thought the gem would be the Time gem, but the director has stated that this is the Power gem.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Or maybe the compact cassette was truly a universally adopted format.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Anyone else think Nebula reminded them of Jack in Mass Effect?

Infinity Gem spoilers

So we know the location of 4 of the 6 right? Loki's staff (hydra has it). The Tesseract (on Asgard). The orb (on Xandar). The aether (with the collector). People have been saying Adam Warlock has the 5th in his head and the last we haven't seen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Gunn posted:

How does Quill get batteries for his Walkman?
This one I don't get at all. They've mastered anti-gravity. I think they can figure out a power source for his Walkman.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I really wish they would've gone with this version of that gag. Having bird-flipping detection software is a way funnier concept to me.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Dogeatdog posted:

I know people keep comparing it to Star Wars, but I feel the closest comparison is Ghostbusters. I think of Ghostbusters as a comedy first, and a supernatural/scifi movie second.

My theater laughed the hardest at the black light joke.

I thought of Galaxy Quest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There needs to be some kind of ongoing memo on top of each page or something explaining that Loki's staff has not been confirmed to be the mind gem in any way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

There needs to be some kind of ongoing memo on top of each page or something explaining that Loki's staff has not been confirmed to be the mind gem in any way.

It's not confirmed, but it's our best bet until told otherwise.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

As someone mentioned, in Avengers it was stated that the staff was actually powered by the Tesseract. It ends up being a pivotal part of the plot, in fact, when Black Widow uses it to stop the Tesseract.

Of course they could handwave that very easily if the staff does end up being the gem, like, "Ah, it wasn't actually powered by the Tesseract, it simply uses the same kind of power because it's the same kind of artifact!" but, again, it's not been stated yet. I doubt Marvel Studios themselves know for certain yet, and wouldn't know until they cement the fact in future scripts.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a movie made of this much pure unadulterated fun. I feel it was a mistake not seeing it in 3D though, gonna have to drag my dad in tomorrow and fix that.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

And I would kill for an avatar-sized version of this...

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not confirmed, but it's our best bet until told otherwise.

It's certainly not an outright dumb idea like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch literally being time and reality, but I don't buy it. The staff was wildly less powerful than the other gems we've seen so far, and also if it was a gem, Loki had two in his possession during Avengers. Considering Ronan felt comfortable telling Thanos to gently caress off when he only had one, I think Loki would've gotten a lot more mileage out of his plans if he had two. I can't remember any lines to back this up but especially considering they were the same color, I got the impression the staff's power was somehow derived FROM the Tesseract.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Honestly, have we had anything approaching confirmation that the cinematic universe Infinity gems follow the same time-space-mind-soul-reality-power mold as the comic ones? I think it's a bit silly to tray to match them up when they could just as easily be called tesseract-ether-sunshine-up-down and fred. I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar powers to the comic book ones to give comic readers something to ID but are never defined into the set categories on-screen one way or another.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Didn't Loki get the staff from Thanos' dude? It doesn't necessarily make sense that he would just lend one out, but that could obviously be handwaved/ignored.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Basically your "universe" in superhero comics is a place where there is only one iteration of a given entity, whether an object or a person or a plane of existence. In other words, it's a continuity. These universes generally include a number of subdimensions, such as the Nine Worlds (where Midgard is "our" known world, including what we would call the "universe").

So a universe is a largely predefined set of various planes of existence. In comics terms, these universes/continuities tend to be known as "Earths", because Earth is where interdimensional fuckery happens 99.9999% of the time, so it functions as a constant. There's a functionally infinite number of them, they're all different, and have their own numerical designation. There's also a supercontinuity abocve these continuities, because they can all cross over with each other. This is the Multiverse.

The setting of GotG is pretty basic: its known space, or "Midgard" in Thor terminology. This is the playground of alien empires, cosmic conquerors, and a small blue planet of outlaws.

The main universe of Marvel Comics is Earth-616. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is Earth-199999. Its most notable difference from Earth-616 is the absence of many franchises heroes and villains, such as X-Men and Spider-Man. They were seemingly lost as the universe was realigned during the Great Restructuring of 1996.

:goonsay:
In the recent GotG series they start with a sort of meeting of galactic powers commiserating about how much of a fuckup Earth is and how it may be a threat to them in the coming generation after they develop proper spaceflight and whether a 'first strike' is in order.
Freyja makes it clear that the "Earthly realm" literally refers to the Sol system when declaring it off limits to conquest to the rest of the space empires present.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
in the stinger for Winter Soldier Hydra sure feels like they have something. Aren't they controlling Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

Why wouldn't it be one?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Zoe posted:

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a movie made of this much pure unadulterated fun. I feel it was a mistake not seeing it in 3D though, gonna have to drag my dad in tomorrow and fix that.

And I would kill for an avatar-sized version of this...

Someone did make an avatar sized version in the comic book movie thread if I remember right.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Samara posted:

in the stinger for Winter Soldier Hydra sure feels like they have something. Aren't they controlling Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

Why wouldn't it be one?
Avengers 2 spoilers: apparently Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch volunteered to be there of their own volition. They hate the Avengers for some reason, no mind control necessary.

It could be the mind gem. It could very well end up being the mind gem. But nothing from the films or from any producers' lips has stated so, probably because they don't wanna chain themselves to that concept if they have to change their minds about it later on in the process.

Personally, I think it'd be kinda dumb if the only thing that could control someone's mind in this universe is an Infinity Stone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Avengers 2 spoilers: apparently Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch volunteered to be there of their own volition. They hate the Avengers for some reason, no mind control necessary.

Not too surprising, there's plenty of people on this forum who hated The Avengers.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Ah yes such famous boning songs as Hooked on a Feeling and Spirit in the Sky. And those dirty loving Jackson 5, always singing about loving.

I think I was just reacting to the lyrics/meaning of Go All The Way, I'm not in love, Fooled around and fell in love, Cherry Bomb, and Escape in reference to a 10 year old. I know it isn't like he did that dance battle with Ginuwine's Pony

edit: I'm just saying he should listen to less secular music and perhaps the group could have bonded over a rousing chorus of Father Abraham. :catholic:
Could have sworn one of the songs was a bit more suggestive.

Vishass fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 4, 2014

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's too bad Gunns humor had to be blunted by the PG-13 rating. His other work,Tromeo and Juilet in particular, was pretty dark and kinda gross.

Still, this was the best space opera movie I've seen in a long drat time and probably by favorite comic book movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

It's too bad Gunns humor had to be blunted by the PG-13 rating. His other work,Tromeo and Juilet in particular, was pretty dark and kinda gross.

Still, this was the best space opera movie I've seen in a long drat time and probably by favorite comic book movie.

He adapted pretty well to the PG-13 though. I didn't feel like for a second he was being held back. He snuck into some gross rear end jokes in this movie too, I mean, that Jackson Pollack joke was pretty blatant.

• Locked thread