Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBQqwKQX_I

Video of Mandarin Cortana, the guy also plays around with the live folders for a bit, and they look like make a fair amount of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Welp, it happened today on a hike. First time I've ever actually shattered a screen (dating back to the Treo 600 and OG iPhone). It was in a case. Did nothing, landed on that rock screen first.

Am I in for liquidating it for about $200 on eBay or will this work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310983195382

It will respond to touches...well, kind of. It works fine, but sometimes flies off the the handle and acts like I'm pressing all sorts of stuff (apps open, cortana opens, goes nuts in general).

gently caress Uinta Mountain hiking. Probably dropped it because we had been ascending for 3+ hours, straight up. Was exhausted.

Edit:

She took some pretty good photos, even after the fall.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 3, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
All 3 news apps I use, crash frequently on my 521. I'm wondering if it's a memory issue or bad luck picking apps. One is SimpiRSS, can't remember the other two. All crash every few minutes.

edit, the other two are Newser and News.

wormil fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 3, 2014

Zeq
May 19, 2014
How much of a pain is it to switch from using Google services on Android to Windows Phone?

I got a Surface a few months back and there were some annoying things like switching to Internet Explorer for touch browsing, I'm hoping Windows Phone would be easier.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zeq posted:

How much of a pain is it to switch from using Google services on Android to Windows Phone?

I got a Surface a few months back and there were some annoying things like switching to Internet Explorer for touch browsing, I'm hoping Windows Phone would be easier.

Contacts and calendar are a breeze, but not much else.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Internet Sharing on my WP won't work if the phone is connected to a WiFi SSID. Is there an app that will let my phone act as a WiFi repeater?

Only WiFi around me at the moment costs money but there's an ATT WiFi signal that doesn't if I join it with my phone, does with my laptop. I'd like to proxy through my phone if possible.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Internet Sharing on my WP won't work if the phone is connected to a WiFi SSID. Is there an app that will let my phone act as a WiFi repeater?

Only WiFi around me at the moment costs money but there's an ATT WiFi signal that doesn't if I join it with my phone, does with my laptop. I'd like to proxy through my phone if possible.

Not possible afaik. I believe speaking to two networks at once in a repeater fashion requires hardware support, which I doubt WP exposes interfaces for even if the hardware is capable.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just got the 8.1 update 1 notification, it's slowly installing on my dev preview 920 (lol AT&T)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Maneki Neko posted:

Just got the 8.1 update 1 notification, it's slowly installing on my dev preview 920 (lol AT&T)

Ditto for my HTC 8X in the UK. Looking forward to getting Cortana, even though I've moved to Android this last month.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is there anything else other than Folders?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Heh, folders isn't working for me and Cortana isn't there either. It's also telling me the Battery Saver and Lock Screen beta apps can't start, but updates might be available from the store. Nope.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Dr Tran posted:

A bunch of new APIs for developers. Mostly for enhanced notifications for accessories (Ex. Smartwatches) and media (Ex. The Xbox music live tile).

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Heh, folders isn't working for me and Cortana isn't there either. It's also telling me the Battery Saver and Lock Screen beta apps can't start, but updates might be available from the store. Nope.

Are you sure you actually have 8.1 Update 1? From what I know, the 8X does not actually have it yet. Only Lumia's.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Are you sure you actually have 8.1 Update 1? From what I know, the 8X does not actually have it yet. Only Lumia's.

OS version 8.10.12400.899? The update went live within the last 5 hours.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

OS version 8.10.12400.899? The update went live within the last 5 hours.

That's just 8.1. It was released a month ago to the dev preview.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I got an update on my phone this morning, but it doesn't seem to be the full 8.1 latest update. My OS version now shows as 8.10.14147.180.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Folders are neat, you can squeeze 4 apps with live tiles into a small tile, or 6 with the folder name into a regular sized tile. it looks like live tile notifications cause things to scroll around icon wise, and the tiles in the folder can be different sizes.

Still didn't fix the gmail delete issues that started with 8.1 though. :(

I'm on version 8.10.14147.180

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

That's just 8.1. It was released a month ago to the dev preview.

Strange, I checked for updates this morning and there was nothing there.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBQqwKQX_I

Video of Mandarin Cortana, the guy also plays around with the live folders for a bit, and they look like make a fair amount of sense.
Oh wow. Will English Cortana get the same sort of animations eventually? It's so hyperactive. I want it, dammit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Edit, sorry, pocket post

wormil fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 5, 2014

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

eh?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Not possible afaik. I believe speaking to two networks at once in a repeater fashion requires hardware support, which I doubt WP exposes interfaces for even if the hardware is capable.

What about using it as a USB WiFi adapter?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

Bluetooth internet sharing. Something called Apps Corner, which sounds like Kids Corner, but for adults?

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
My phone seems to be completely stuck on the update screen, the gears are turning but nothing else is happening. :toot:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Venusy posted:

My phone seems to be completely stuck on the update screen, the gears are turning but nothing else is happening. :toot:

For how long has it been sitting like that?

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Strange, I checked for updates this morning and there was nothing there.

I got .899 today to on my 8x too, must have been some conciliation prize for those of us who need firmware updates:

http://www.wpcentral.com/some-devices-needs-oem-driver-updates-windows-phone-81-update-1

Hope HTC doesn't take too long, was looking forward to having L2TP VPN as an option.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For how long has it been sitting like that?

An hour or two. I did try a battery pull at some point to see if it'd go back to 8.1, but it went right back to the gears. Guess I'll leave it overnight and see what happens in the morning.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Folders are cool. I wish you could tap anywhere outside the folder to close it, instead of just on the folder and the black space it makes on the start screen when expanded.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm sure there used to be a 'never' option for screen timeout. Has that disappeared in one of the updates?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

I'm sure there used to be a 'never' option for screen timeout. Has that disappeared in one of the updates?

It is there for me, under lock screen and timeout . Bottom option.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

benitocereno posted:

I got .899 today to on my 8x too, must have been some conciliation prize for those of us who need firmware updates:

http://www.wpcentral.com/some-devices-needs-oem-driver-updates-windows-phone-81-update-1

Hope HTC doesn't take too long, was looking forward to having L2TP VPN as an option.

Well, poo poo:

"There are a small set of devices for which we aren't offering the latest build of the Developer Preview program due to an identified problem that requires mobile operator or OEM driver updates. These will be offered when the official update for your phone is available."

Disappointing.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Is Cyan worth the trouble of downgrading my 1520 to get, before updating to 8.1 Update 1?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I keep reading that you don't need to downgrade when cyan comes out, because firmware and OS updates are separate, just bundled.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I keep reading that you don't need to downgrade when cyan comes out, because firmware and OS updates are separate, just bundled.

I think you're right about that, I'm just thinking I might as well downgrade for the Cyan update since it's out for my version of the 1520 (att) but then again I'm impatient so I'll probably update it to Update 1 tonight. If I really want to put Cyan on it I could still downgrade for it another time, if they don't have the fix out before I feel like going through all of that.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Dr Tran posted:

Something about changes to IE to make it load websites properly/faster.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just picked up my new Lumia 930, in white. So far so good.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Venusy posted:

An hour or two. I did try a battery pull at some point to see if it'd go back to 8.1, but it went right back to the gears. Guess I'll leave it overnight and see what happens in the morning.

No change, the battery drained overnight, and it's now right back to the gears screen.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You have an Lumia right? If nothing is happening, you'll have to use the Nokia recovery tool (you need a windows machine I think) for your region. Luckily 8.1 backups quite a bit, including the start screen, so you can use that to downgrade to 8.0, upgrade up to 8.1 update 1, then sign in and get your apps back. You might have to sign back in to some of your stuff and I hope you don't play a lot of games because your progress might be lost.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
The recovery tool couldn't detect my Lumia 820. Thankfully, I've now figured out that taking the Micro SD card out at least allows it to boot back to 8.1 with no problems. If I reinsert the micro SD and try to update again, the same thing happens. If I try to update without the Micro SD inserted, the gears only display briefly, and the update then fails with error 80188308 (which seems like it's happening to a lot of people).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My thoughts so far using the 930.

I find I'm no longer using the smallest size of live tile; it's just too small. The larger screw and higher resolution means I still get heaps more tiles on the screen at once though. I can now see all my important information displaying tiles without scrolling down.

I like having data sense.

Phone looks and feels great. 4g seems to be faster - perhaps the 920 was being a bottleneck, or maybe Telstra just made some improvements in my area, but I'm getting download speeds of 120 megabits.

They've changed the colour of the cobalt accent colour - it's more purpley now. I don't know if this is a windows 8.1 change; or if this phone just displays colours differently.

The notification screen is useful for seeing the exact percentage of battery life remaining. Now I don't need to get an app just for that.

Picking the right background photo is hard. It needs to be dark, and not too busy otherwise the text on the transparent live tiles becomes too hard to read.

I love having a 1080p screen. I feel as though I finally no longer need to use the mobile version of websites - landscape orientation provides plenty of space now for the whole thing.

They've significantly reduced the volume of 'sound effects' for typing, plugging in your charger, etc. This is a godsend.

Phone speaker seems to be quieter compared to 920, I guess because they moved it to the back. It's not a big deal though.

The phone doesn't get as hot in use as the 920 did, and the battery doesn't rattle when you move the phone around. A+ on build quality.

I really wish Microsoft would figure out that Australians need a US keyboard layout but with UK spelling. At the moment I have to choose between having a UK keyboard, and correct spelling auto correction, or a more useful US keyboard that can't spell check properly.

For the time being I've switched to Drastic Action's Forums app. I like the live tile, and it seems to take advantage of the increased resolution, unlike bootleg robot's app. I'd prefer an option for white text on a black background though. I also like having an emoticon list.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My 920 keeps offering to download the update but I see the gears for about 30 seconds before it restarts and aborts with error 0x80188308. So far the only solution I've seen online is using Nokia's tool to wipe and reset the phone. Are the other options? Am I stuck waiting for Cyan before I can get the new OS?