Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

I genuinely don't get this snobbish attitude that most of this thread reeks of. Who cares if people read silly pulp for their own enjoyment? Are you that insecure about your own intelligence and taste in book? Its like the people who get off on these literary circle-jerks are the closeted republicans of the written word.

I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Every one of your posts in TBB is worthless.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I think the problem is working itself out. For a while there was pretty much nothing but genre fic threads. But now people are beginning to post more threads about other work, classical and otherwise. As long as we keep doing that instead of blindly criticizing stuff, it's gonna sort itself out. But this thread should probably get a title change, since it's needlessly inflammatory and keeps bringing in people who angrily post without reading the discourse that has occurred throughout the thread (not pointing fingers).

I feel like the title has been helpful because this thread got more posts than the thread for talking non-genre books in a mere fraction of the time!

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
whatever I decided to be less snide

Sometimes you have to put some effort in to understand or learn to appreciate literature. If you're unwilling to do that, but instead spend time on somethingawful forums trying to justify not putting that effort in, you deserve to get made fun of a little bit.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 3, 2014

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I genuinely don't understand why you have such poor reading comprehension. I didn't say anything even remotely approaching what you're accusing me of here, and in fact said I was fine with it (edit: "it" being people who read pulp/genre, since like I said I am one of those people)!

I was specifically commenting on the lame excuse that the abundance of genre threads in this forum is due to all of these posters being beginning/weak readers who don't have the capacity to read something more challenging. That is insulting as hell to those posters, and if you agree with that assessment then I'm not the snob here pal.

My major point of contention with your posts is that you were arguing that reading simpler things doesnt help people develop better tastes later on. And that by extension, people who read those things will never read anything better unless they are forced to by external factors. This is not only clearly untrue, but is insulting to those readers by parading the superiority of your own tastes. In other words, snobbery.

^^^^^ See the post above for a perfect example.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr.48 posted:

My major point of contention with your posts is that you were arguing that reading simpler things doesnt help people develop better tastes later on. And that by extension, people who read those things will never read anything better unless they are forced to by external factors. This is not only clearly untrue, but is insulting to those readers by parading the superiority of your own tastes. In other words, snobbery.

^^^^^ See the post above for a perfect example.

So you've excused yourself from improving your ability to enjoy literature by saying that people who try and encourage others to do so are snobs.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Bundt Cake posted:

So you've excused yourself from improving your ability to enjoy literature by saying that people who try and encourage others to do so are snobs.

Don't mean to "truth is in the middle" here, but it seems to me like both sides of the argument are determined to avoid enjoying literature.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Don't mean to "truth is in the middle" here, but it seems to me like both sides of the argument are determined to avoid enjoying literature.

Personally I think its cool for anyone to read whatever they want. I like to read stuff that is challenging, because its fun to dig in to stuff, and writers put a lot of work into their writing, so its rewarding to uncover that. To me, it is boring to read something thats just about escapism, or however fantasy, etc. readers want to frame it. I enjoy reading all the time! but I do feel like the victim thing that people are doing is silly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I like to read all things, including cereal box tops. Imagine that!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

I wasn't arguing that reading simpler things doesn't help people develop better tastes, I fully agree with that logic. I was arguing first of all that the "at least they are reading something" argument suggests they are incapable/unwilling of reading at a higher level; it sets a very low standard. Secondly, I also find it highly suspect that the overwhelming majority of people on this site are at that level; I don't buy that at all. I have no problem with anyone who is at that level, or even people reading genre/pulp just in general.

Also I don't think the logic follows in your second and third sentences. Even if I didn't believe that reading simpler things built up reading experience, its a stretch to say that this implies that they would never read anything better. It is an even bigger stretch to say I was parading my own "superior" tastes, since I haven't called out anything I do read except Harry Potter and other genre stuff.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Blind Sally posted:

I like to read all things, including cereal box tops. Imagine that!

We're all reading this thread so obviously none of us are very particular

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
If reading great literature proclaiming it to be of higher artistic and personal merit then shlock is snobbery or elitism than so be it, I would revel in my elitism. Is anyone going to seriously argue that Tom Clancy and Harlequin Romance novels are somehow equal to Sophocles or Tolstoy? Even if we accept the argument of some posters here that bad popular fiction is mere training for better literature than the thread title is exactly right, reading the better stuff would be an act of "growing up."

Genre fiction can be fun and if you enjoy it by all means read it, no one will stop you from binging on Wheel of Time, Dan Brown or whatever else. Yet reading such work gains you little culturally and little personally. We rank artistic efforts in hierarchies all the time. To draw a comparison to film, Citizen Kane and Debbie Does Dallas are both films that people derive different kinds of satisfaction from watching, but I think someone would be willfully stubborn to not think Citizen Kane was a greater work even if they derive less, uh, immediate satisfaction.

Barlow fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 4, 2014

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Every one of your posts in TBB is worthless.

I am sorry you feel that way, and I preferred your old avatar if you were the guy with the asparagus wearing sunglasses.IF not, I am merely sorry.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

If eating vegan and proclaiming it to be of higher nutritional and personal merit than Big Macs is snobbery or elitism, then so be it, I would revel in my elitism. Is anyone going to seriously argue that pig butt and chicken parts are somehow equal to broccoli or kale? Even if we accept the argument of some posters here that factory-farmed murder is mere training for better eating, then the thread title is exactly right, eating the better stuff would be an act of "growing up."

Jack in the Box can be fun and if you enjoy it by all means eat it, no one will stop you from binging on factory-farmed chickens, tortured cows, or whatever else. Yet eating such food gains you little nutritionally and little personally. We rank grub in hierarchies all the time. To draw a comparison to film, Citizen Kane and Debbie Does Dallas are both films that people derive different kinds of satisfaction from watching, but I think someone would be willfully stubborn to not think Citizen Kane was a greater meal even if they derive less, uh, immediate satisfaction.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, I thought it was funnier when people were comparing reading books to weight-lifting, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What I take away from this argument is that y'all probably chew the covers of your books.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Blind Sally posted:

Ha, I thought it was funnier when people were comparing reading books to weight-lifting, though.

Bro, do you even lit?

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

If eating vegan and proclaiming it to be of higher nutritional and personal merit than Big Macs is snobbery or elitism, then so be it, I would revel in my elitism.

Not a vegan and I would unironically agree with this. Kale is kickass.

Barlow fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 4, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

inktvis posted:

Bro, do you even lit?

Haha, mods, please change the subforum name to this, tia.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Bundt Cake posted:

First of all, encouraging people is one thing, telling people that they're reading poo poo and need to grow up is entirely different. Someone struggling with math won't be helped by calling him stupid or slow. I dont have a problem with the message that people should try to expand their reading horizons, but rather the snooty way with which some people try to deliver it.

Second, I have a problem with the assumption that people who read pulp are somehow inferior as readers. For example, my current phase of work involves reading up to a dozen or more technical and academic papers a day. Because of that, when I finally get home and want to read something to relax I like silly books about space-pirates. When my work-related reading is not as taxing, I usually read more high-brow stuff in my free time like history or philosophy. Given the large amount of posters in this forum who are students or work in academic/technical fields I would wager that my situation is not at all uncommon.

Guy A. Person posted:

I wasn't arguing that reading simpler things doesn't help people develop better tastes, I fully agree with that logic. I was arguing first of all that the "at least they are reading something" argument suggests they are incapable/unwilling of reading at a higher level; it sets a very low standard. Secondly, I also find it highly suspect that the overwhelming majority of people on this site are at that level; I don't buy that at all. I have no problem with anyone who is at that level, or even people reading genre/pulp just in general.

I think you've misunderstood what posters like Raskolnikov and myself are saying in regard to this point. We are not saying "at least they're reading something" like we're pitying someone with a disability. Rather, we are saying that since they're at least reading something they have an opportunity to develop their taste further. By contrast, if they aren't reading anything at all, they may simply think that reading isn't for them. Likewise, if you throw them into the deep end too early, they may decide that they just aren't smart enough to appreciate it and never come back. Good literature is highly rewarding to read, but we should be more inviting to those who haven't gotten there yet, instead of deriding their current reading habits.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

I think you've misunderstood what posters like Raskolnikov and myself are saying in regard to this point.

Yeah I am going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe I misunderstood you because you never made those points and instead spent a lot of time calling me a snob.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I am going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe I misunderstood you because you never made those points and instead spent a lot of time calling me a snob.

The snob thing was aimed more generally at all the posters acting high and mighty in here because they dont read about spacemen and goblins. My apologies if I've ascribed that to you unjustly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not gonna pick on you here (or anyone in particular), but I just wanna make an observation that I hear the line about only reading pulp and genre due to having a busy workload so often that it feels like a second cousin to the nerd line about liking all music genres "except rap and country".

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Srice posted:

Not gonna pick on you here (or anyone in particular), but I just wanna make an observation that I hear the line about only reading pulp and genre due to having a busy workload so often that it feels like a second cousin to the nerd line about liking all music genres "except rap and country".

that line of thought boggles my mind, it's like these dweebs have got it into their heads that good literature can't be entertaining or fun to read

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Also how is 6 times a 1000 page epic more economical with time than Notes from the Underground

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

ulvir posted:

that line of thought boggles my mind, it's like these dweebs have got it into their heads that good literature can't be entertaining or fun to read

Of course it can. But it can also be mentally taxing, which after a full day of mentally taxing work is not the ideal way to relax. Also, way to be a douchebag about it.

Srice posted:

Have you considered that you might be hearing it a lot because it could be true for many people?

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 4, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mr.48 posted:

Of course it can. But it can also be mentally taxing, which after a full day of mentally taxing work is not the ideal way to relax. Also, way to be a douchebag about it.

Have you considered that you might be hearing it a lot because it could be true for many people?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Considering your grown up reading habits, you guys sure get into some childish loving arguments.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bondetamp posted:

Considering your grown up reading habits, you guys sure get into some childish loving arguments.

No one's getting in an argument, we're having fun discussion amongst friends. Are you my friend? Would you like to join in the discussion?

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Mr.48 posted:

I think you've misunderstood what posters like Raskolnikov and myself are saying in regard to this point. We are not saying "at least they're reading something" like we're pitying someone with a disability. Rather, we are saying that since they're at least reading something they have an opportunity to develop their taste further. By contrast, if they aren't reading anything at all, they may simply think that reading isn't for them. Likewise, if you throw them into the deep end too early, they may decide that they just aren't smart enough to appreciate it and never come back. Good literature is highly rewarding to read, but we should be more inviting to those who haven't gotten there yet, instead of deriding their current reading habits.

I really don't care what other people read and I read a good mix of 'highbrow' lit and genre stuff so I don't throw stones in case someone hits my glass house with a catapult. However, I'd much rather we have a thread like this one than having people poo poo all over genre threads and the reading challenge thread. People should be able to talk about "good" books, and now they have a place to do so. Also: there have been people who have only read genre for a really long time who have actually wandered in here and said they picked up something a little heavier upon reading about it in this thread, so win/win. If they don't want to read anything heavier then they can stay in their genre threads, no one is forcing them to come in here and have their delicate sensibilities offended.

Anyway this thread is pretty funny. It doesn't matter how highbrow you think your reading selections are, there's always someone who is going to come and criticize what you're reading and tell you it sucks. Also, when that guy wandered in here all butt-hurt and then said that he'd try something new based on his enjoyment of Steinbeck and someone said 'hey, read some Chaucer!'

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, this thread has been pretty good about filtering out people who were being dicks in other threads and actually getting them to engage in meaningful discussion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

To be honest I believe that the people who talk about liking all genres besides rap and country just haven't given anything on those genres a fair shake.

Or for another line in the same vein, "I can't exercise because it hurts my knees"

I guess what I'm getting at is, to me it just comes across as an excuse that tries to save face instead of sounding honest. I'm sure there are legit cases but I just have my doubts about the majority of them!

Also

ulvir posted:

Yeah this, lots of hella fun stuff that has zero spaceships or wizards or whatever in them.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Srice posted:

Sometimes when I've had a lovely 12 hour day listening to people bitch and whine at me because of their half million dollar project going sideways because of Acts of God that are beyond my control, all I want to read is escapist fiction about wizards saving Chicago. It happens, I believe it.

I balance this by reading heavier stuff when things are going smoothly, but not everyone gets a break.

Darlan Flame
May 18, 2006

SAVE THE B33R!
This thread got me to finally read Gravity's Rainbow, so I will always love it. You never really know what you are missing with a book like that until you dive in and read it. Something like Gravity's Rainbow might seem daunting and a little boring, but it's much more pie in the face and down right funny then you'd expect. Really books that are considered literature are considered good for a reason, and most of them can blow you away if you give them a chance. It's just easy to read a bunch of genre fiction all the time but this thread is just trying to tell you how you never did the kenosha kid.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I don't think the issue is that people are reading pulp fiction at all, just that TBB as a whole is ridiculously overemphasizing the pulp.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Yeah, something like 80% of the threads on TBB are about genre and pulp books. A little variety would be nice. That Arctic book thread for example, that's awesome.

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 5, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chamberk posted:

Yeah, something like 80% of the threads on TBB are about genre and pulp books. A little variety would be nice.

Then post a thread.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Srice posted:

I feel like the title has been helpful because this thread got more posts than the thread for talking non-genre books in a mere fraction of the time!

Sounds like you've got a Dickensian attitude towards quality. (Seriously though, gently caress Great Expectations. The rest of Dickens I read was fine but gently caress Great Expectations.

Smoking Crow posted:

No one's getting in an argument, we're having fun discussion amongst friends. Are you my friend? Would you like to join in the discussion?

Come off man. It's a shitshow and it's 100% a shitshow because of the thread title and the first post. That sure makes it enjoyable but it makes this thread Twilight to the English prof A/T. Sure it's fun, but lets not pretend we're not masturbating to vampires our egos here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

the JJ posted:

It's a shitshow and it's 100% a shitshow because of the thread title and the first post.

LIterally judging a book by its cover here in The Book Barn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Is this real literature, or pulp fiction?