Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I want the post-credits stinger to be Megan Fox laying a clutch of eggs and the 80s Turtles hatching from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

morestuff posted:

This Ain't TMNT (Unless You Mean Turtle Men, Naked, Thrusting)

General Ironicus posted:

I want the post-credits stinger to be Megan Fox laying a clutch of eggs and the 80s Turtles hatching from them.

Please don't post what you jerk off to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

General Ironicus posted:

I want to watch her gently caress a turtle.

Have you not seen TMNT Tijuana Bible or whatever that thing is called?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

General Ironicus posted:

I'm just assuming the studio bought that video of the duct tape turtles jerking off on a pizza and that will be the post-credit scene.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Alan Moore's Lost Turtles

e: It's pizza time (NSFW)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

weekly font posted:

One of my favorite trivia questions to give was name the Best Picture winners with animals in the title.

Slumdog Millionaire
Dances with Wolves
Silence of the Lambs

those are the easy ones.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Plot points presented in reviews for the new TMNT movie seem to be badly done to me. People fall back on "You only hate it because it's different from your childhood!" as their excuse.

While I think people go too far in ascribing particular motivations for opinions they disagree with, claiming that it's "bad writing" for characters to have a preexisting connection is a weird opinion and it is interesting to wonder what's actually going on when people make seemingly-nonsensical statements like that. Often, when people are sufficiently bad at explaining themselves, that's all you're left with since there's no meat in their comments to directly engage with.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There was a very small ad for TMNT that played before my showing(s) of GOTG which was meant to remind people to turn off their cell phones and to be quiet; it was the all the turtles repeatedly shushing each other for like nine or ten seconds, and it made me want to drown myself.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Giving characters a good reason to be around each other is a good thing. If they just meet in the street at random or unrelatedly fighting Shredder, it's more arbitrary.

In TMNT 2012 the reason they get involved with April at all being that Donatello immediately becomes crazy-obsessed with her. It's creepy and awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

While I think people go too far in ascribing particular motivations for opinions they disagree with, claiming that it's "bad writing" for characters to have a preexisting connection is a weird opinion and it is interesting to wonder what's actually going on when people make seemingly-nonsensical statements like that.

Yeah, not liking the busy, ugly turtle designs is enough for me, but I get what they're going for. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

There's a difference between seeing a trailer and reading someone else's review of the film, although both are equally valid means of deciding if a film is for you. (e: If you trust the critic?)

I wouldn't personally criticise the film itself if I hadn't seen it, disparaging it or whatever.

Are you claiming now that the trailer for Sucker Punch does not accurately represent the finished product, or that trailers generally don't? Like, this isn't a conspiracy. Films tend to have shots and stories in them that also appeared in some form in the trailer, and a lot of the stuff that wasn't can be intuited from trailers in forming an opinion about whether you'll see it and what to expect. Again, that's why they're made. That's what they taught you in film school.

They presumably also taught you to put two and two together. The film being similar to, or matching expectations created by, the trailer is not a coincidence. I can see two shots in a trailer of the focal characters in locations A and B and intuit that they at some point journeyed between those two places. I could be wrong, but discovering that I was right isn't some feat of genius or prejudice. It is trailers and the human mind working in tandem.

I would definitely argue that the trailer for Sucker Punch does not represent the film as a whole and that it not representing it is kind of the entire point with that movie. It makes the film look like generic hot girls fighting stuff movie when it is, in fact, a complete condemnation of that type of film and the people who would go see them.

And no, discovering you were right isn't some act of human genius, but going into a movie having already completely made up your mind about it either way is loving backwards, and you are going to discover you're right no matter what the truth is in most cases. It's putting the cart before the horse.

Trailers are, in most cases, nothing but advertisements for the films, put together by people who had nothing to do with the film itself, and will feature scenes put into completely different contexts than in the film itself, or even feature scenes that are not even in the final movie. It is really stupid to watch a trailer and make up your mind completely about what the film is, and I can't believe we're having this conversation.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It is really stupid to watch a trailer and make up your mind completely about what the film is

Well, sure, but is it being suggested that anyone is doing that? Having a guess at what a film is about isn't making one's mind up completely.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If there's one thing trailer's do pretty well, it's showing how a movie looks. The Avengers trailer was ugly, and the movie proved to be, in fact, quite ugly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, sure, but is it being suggested that anyone is doing that? Having a guess at what a film is about isn't making one's mind up completely.

SMG had written paragraphs about what he believed Sucker Punch to be before it came out. And everyone here is getting mad at Jamesman for doing exactly what you just said, which is the normal thing to do, reading reviews and watching trailers and deciding if you think it sounds dumb. He's never said it 100% is dumb, just that it seems like it's going to be, and he's not interested in. Even if he was, the complete disconnect of one poster doing it being totally ok and another doing it and being ridden out of the thread on a rail is crazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Actually, Jamesman didn't post his own opinion. He posted the reviews opinion.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Actually, Jamesman didn't post his own opinion. He posted the reviews opinion.

He posted the reviews opinion and said that, from it, he agreed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this was not his only exposure to anything around the TMNT movie and it was just one of many things that led him to reach the conclusion he arrived at. Even if not, that's the entire point of reviews, so it's still not worse than judging only by the trailers.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Even if he was, the complete disconnect of one poster doing it being totally ok and another doing it and being ridden out of the thread on a rail is crazy.

People are being judged on the reasons they give and that's not limited to "watched the trailer" and "read a review." It's the difference between "I'm judging based on these examples from the trailer and this from the director's history," with specific conclusions that make sense, and the inanity of it apparently being inherently bad writing for characters to have an interconnected backstory.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I read the review and found nothing of substance, so I want to know what he thought seemed so stupid. Got no answer.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jamesman posted:

If you want, I could... discuss the Oedipal Complex of the turtles wanting to gently caress their "mother" if that makes you feel better about me talking about this.

That would be way more interesting and substantive at least.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Even if he was, the complete disconnect of one poster doing it being totally ok and another doing it and being ridden out of the thread on a rail is crazy.

Is this something SMg did in this thread or in the Sucker Punch thread 4 years ago? Because that might explain why people are attacking Jamesman and not SMg.

(and yeah I know someone made a wisecrack about SMg actually watching the movies he reviewed but once again I am going to appeal to say a 3 year statute of limitations on this one, unless you have a more recent example)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Also, the Avengers Captain America suit is still the best and you're all crazy. :colbert:

We're breaking up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's pretty weird, but cool, that people are still debating the good and correct posts I wrote nearly half a decade ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

Is this something SMg did in this thread or in the Sucker Punch thread 4 years ago? Because that might explain why people are attacking Jamesman and not SMg.

(and yeah I know someone made a wisecrack about SMg actually watching the movies he reviewed but once again I am going to appeal to say a 3 year statute of limitations on this one, unless you have a more recent example)

He did it with Avatar iirc (and it was basically 100% correct).

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's pretty weird, but cool, that people are still debating the good and correct posts I wrote nearly half a decade ago.

Welcome to the literary canon.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
The posts that have survived through the ages are undeniably of high quality, even if they were originally about He-Man like characters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The fact that anyone calls any reading of any film "100% correct" shows how insane this forum can be.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

The fact that anyone calls any reading of any film "100% correct" shows how insane this forum can be.

Shut up you tool nobody cares

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm almost certain SMG says poo poo like that to piss off people like you.

Anyway, what are trailers for, if not to be the film equivalent of the sample tables at a Costco? You try a little paper cup of the ravioli and it is enough to know whether you might want to buy a gigantic package of it. Film trailers function the same way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spatula City posted:

Anyway, what are trailers for, if not to be the film equivalent of the sample tables at a Costco? You try a little paper cup of the ravioli and it is enough to know whether you might want to buy a gigantic package of it. Film trailers function the same way.

I bought those tiny hot dogs because the sample was really good but when I got them home they were terrible.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I read the review and found nothing of substance, so I want to know what he thought seemed so stupid. Got no answer.

According to what I've been reading, the turtles and Splinter were April's childhood pets, and also test subjects for a project run by April's father and Shredder I guess? Something happens, April's father sets fire to the lab, and April sets them all free in the sewer. They grow up and learn to be ninjas.

Many years later, The Foot is a terrorist group wrecking hell unchallenged through New York, until one day some mysterious warriors fend off an attack in a subway. April, curious plucky reporter, investigates and happens upon the teenage mutant ninja turtles. She just... happens to be the one to discover the turtles, who are the same turtles she kept as pets in her father's lab. It seems like such a contrived coincidence and something that doesn't need to be part of a story.

If there was a middleman in there, that would make more sense. Something that puts an idea in her head that, hey, maybe her pet turtles from her childhood survived in the sewers and something happened to them as a result of her dad's lab experiments and maybe she's curious to check that out. Maybe that IS what happens and I'm totally not getting that. But how it's coming off in these reviews is "Oh wow, I was just coming down to this subway and my old pet turtles were here. How weird and convenient is that?"

That's what I think is dumb writing.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So I wanted to bring up a theme I noticed in MoS: immigration and national identity, specifically into America. Superman is an adopted/naturalized American. This is evident in the character's long history and in MoS in particular, ie "yo, Kansas, general" as said the super powerful alien demigod. Nothing really controversial there. What's interesting is what Zod & co. represent in relation to Superman: immigrants/refugees who doggedly cling to their old culture in derision of the culture of their new home. Zod rejects Earth and Earthlings as beneath him, and attempts to enact Krypton in their place. Krypton (and Zod) represent the Old World, with all its sectarian hatreds and baggage, whereas Superman represents the Coming to America ideal of peaceful assimilation and coexistence. Superman destroying the penisship is his rejection of his place of birth's baggage, and of the concept of ethnic chauvinism itself. In a way, Zod represents the difficulty of assimilating into a new culture, whereas Superman represents the ease of assimilating at a younger age.
As a side note, I don't really buy the whole USA turning into Krypton theory (tenuous at best) but MoS does have this theme of chiding us for elevating nationalism above coexistence.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatula City posted:

I have no doubt that SMG is a troll, yeah.

And no, film trailers function the same way as a commercial for ravioli does. It might make ravioli look awesome, and all the people in it (critic quotes) might be loving that ravioli, but it does not actually show you what the whole film is going to be like. It is designed my marketers to be as appealing as possible to as many people as possible, and there will often be alternate trailers an ads to play in front of different movies to appeal to that target demographic. The fact that all of them aren't completely misleading is the weird thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SMG is a troll in the way half the internet apparently uses the word to mean "person who disagrees with me."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That is a terrible analogy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chef Boyardee Presents: The Avengers

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Avengers tastes like a TV dinner.

That is a terrible analogy.

It works in the sense that looking at a trailer and being able to tell that the movie will contain martial-artist reptiles or address the representation of women in popular media is about as difficult as looking at an ad for ravioli and determining that they will contain cheese. What you can't tell is whether or not it does a good job with those elements, which is where disparaging a movie based on a review goes wrong.

Though, of course, movies are a visual medium advertised via a visual medium instead of loving food.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jamesman posted:

According to what I've been reading, the turtles and Splinter were April's childhood pets, and also test subjects for a project run by April's father and Shredder I guess? Something happens, April's father sets fire to the lab, and April sets them all free in the sewer. They grow up and learn to be ninjas.

Many years later, The Foot is a terrorist group wrecking hell unchallenged through New York, until one day some mysterious warriors fend off an attack in a subway. April, curious plucky reporter, investigates and happens upon the teenage mutant ninja turtles. She just... happens to be the one to discover the turtles, who are the same turtles she kept as pets in her father's lab. It seems like such a contrived coincidence and something that doesn't need to be part of a story.

That may be the case, it could just be bad creative writing but it just seems so minor to dwell on, and that's the problem with that review. It's just a very slight, unconvincing disagreement.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

If there was a middleman in there, that would make more sense. Something that puts an idea in her head that, hey, maybe her pet turtles from her childhood survived in the sewers and something happened to them as a result of her dad's lab experiments and maybe she's curious to check that out. Maybe that IS what happens and I'm totally not getting that. But how it's coming off in these reviews is "Oh wow, I was just coming down to this subway and my old pet turtles were here. How weird and convenient is that?"

That's what I think is dumb writing.

If part of it is that they're a reincarnated family from Feudal Japan or some such then I wouldn't be so opposed to this. Fate, mysticism, family of a different sort coming together. It can work if handled right.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

What a crazy coincidence that the rat of a dead sensei would end up in a sewer and become mutated by ooze and raise four similarly mutated turtles to fight the murderer of the dead sensei who happens to be running a crime ring/arcade/skate park(?) in the same town!

That reminds me, the Foot hideout in the first TMNT looked awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Chef Boyardee Presents: The Avengers

Not the Avengers but

• Locked thread