Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

My standing assumption was that he's positioning himself for Schumer's seat when it opens up, but I guess he might go for a Congressional seat.

Also, are there any Portuguese speakers in the thread who can comment on Duolingo's Portuguese set? I feel like I'm learning stuff but I'm wary that it might be a crock of poo poo.

At some point in some thread, you replied to me with a YouTube link that I glanced at the title of and didn't watch because I was phone posting, but it got saved in my reading list and I just spotted it today. Turns out it was Kurgan in Highlander talking about burning out and fading away. Man, threads take weird turns.

Falo eu. What kind of questions do you have? I haven't looked at it. Also make sure it's using você and not tu, European Portuguese is for nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

R. Mute posted:

stop being such a goddamn sperg, man. it's a plot device. a film. did you heckle dumbo because - heh - clearly those ears wouldn't produce enough lift to get dumbo off the ground and besides elephants ears aren't that flexible! jesus loving christ

See, I get where you're coming from, but this isn't me sperging out about tactical realism or whatever; I'm fully capable of enjoying a movie with a dumb, half-baked sci-fi premise. Hell, I wrangled some kind of entertainment out of Wanted, short-lived as it was, and the only thought that went into that movie was "What if bullets, like, curved for no discernible reason?"

The issue I have with it is that it's not just some random plot or framing device; like a third of the movie is spent on the ins and outs of this incompetent mind erasure company, and it's sooo dumb. And I'm not talking about the fictional technology or whatever, I'm talking about a business model wherein they erase your memory, send postcards to all your friends asking them to please never mention it to you or the person you erased, and then just kind of hope for the best. How would this have not ended in disaster literally every time, and why does the movie expect us to take it as seriously as they do the actual main plot between Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet's characters?

Between that and it being babby's first independent movie I just consider the whole thing a wash :shrug:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

See, I get where you're coming from, but this isn't me sperging out about tactical realism or whatever; I'm fully capable of enjoying a movie with a dumb, half-baked sci-fi premise. Hell, I wrangled some kind of entertainment out of Wanted, short-lived as it was, and the only thought that went into that movie was "What if bullets, like, curved for no discernible reason?"

The issue I have with it is that it's not just some random plot or framing device; like a third of the movie is spent on the ins and outs of this incompetent mind erasure company, and it's sooo dumb. And I'm not talking about the fictional technology or whatever, I'm talking about a business model wherein they erase your memory, send postcards to all your friends asking them to please never mention it to you or the person you erased, and then just kind of hope for the best. How would this have not ended in disaster literally every time, and why does the movie expect us to take it as seriously as they do the actual main plot between Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet's characters?

Between that and it being babby's first independent movie I just consider the whole thing a wash :shrug:
it's literally tactical realism, you idiot. you get in on the premise that memories can be selectively erased but then you get pissy about how the tech's not made clear and how the loving business model is bad. that's the definition of tactical realism. even worse, it's like you failed to understand even the basics of the film - there's no third of the film dedicated to the technology. it's all a plot device. all of it. if they mention memory erasing, it's meant to drive the actual plot - which is about the relationship between joel and clementine - forward. the question is never 'what if we could erase our memory' it's 'would you?' the third of the film you talk about (which is more like a fifteen minute section at best) is about even if it works, you'll just end up making the same choices again, that we're more than just a collection of memories - that's not meant to be a criticism of the targeted memory erasing process - which does not exist, remember? - it a comment on humanity.

they literally put a cut in half disco ball on jim carrey's head and you're posting about index cards. are you going to watch guardians of the galaxy and complain that the loving rocket raccoon wouldn't be able to fire his gun because raccoons don't have opposable thumbs? look, you don't have to like the film. not everyone can have good taste in cinema. but at least dislike it for non-bullshit reasons. if need be, pretend charlie kaufman walks into your room every time you intend to watch it, he says 'let's pretend this whole memory erasing thing works, okay? that'll be our little deal.' and gives you a sly wink while shaking your hand.

christ.

e: also what the gently caress is that last line supposed to mean? you can't start your post with tactical realism and end it by pretending to be a film snob. the entire first part of your post makes me believe you're unable to watch films that aren't instructional videos for 3d printers, so don't come at me with that bullshit.

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 4, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CD represent

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Rappaport posted:

'Homocide', too, hmm. Unless they are talking about gay bashing to death?

In movie-chat, going to see The Shining in a theater on Saturday :ohdear: I wonder if I should watch Room 237 before or after?

If you've already seen the shining, watch the documentary. If you've never seen it, I envy you and you should watch it without knowing anything about anything whatsoever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

it's literally tactical realism, you idiot. you get in on the premise that memories can be selectively erased but then you get pissy about how the tech's not made clear and how the loving business model is bad. that's the definition of tactical realism. even worse, it's like you failed to understand even the basics of the film - there's no third of the film dedicated to the technology. it's all a plot device. all of it. if they mention memory erasing, it's meant to drive the actual plot - which is about the relationship between joel and clementine - forward. the question is never 'what if we could erase our memory' it's 'would you?' the third of the film you talk about (which is more like a fifteen minute section at best) is about even if it works, you'll just end up making the same choices again, that we're more than just a collection of memories - that's not meant to be a criticism of the targeted memory erasing process - which does not exist, remember? - it a comment on humanity.

they literally put a cut in half disco ball on jim carrey's head and you're posting about index cards. are you going to watch guardians of the galaxy and complain that the loving rocket raccoon wouldn't be able to fire his gun because raccoons don't have opposable thumbs? look, you don't have to like the film. not everyone can have good taste in cinema. but at least dislike it for non-bullshit reasons. if need be, pretend charlie kaufman walks into your room every time you intend to watch it, he says 'let's pretend this whole memory erasing thing works, okay? that'll be our little deal.' and gives you a sly wink while shaking your hand.

christ.

e: also what the gently caress is that last line supposed to mean? you can't start your post with tactical realism and end it by pretending to be a film snob. the entire first part of your post makes me believe you're unable to watch films that aren't instructional videos for 3d printers, so don't come at me with that bullshit.

The opposite reading is true.

E: also raccoons do have opposable thumbs.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*sweats profusely*

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
smg is my friend and he will be posting here tuesday

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will make no comments on the quality of The Walking Dead but tactical realism is the sole arbiter of criticism in the TVIV thread about it, making it by far the dumbest thread on the forums and yes I'm aware Let's Play exists.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

zoux posted:

I will make no comments on the quality of The Walking Dead but tactical realism is the sole arbiter of criticism in the TVIV thread about it, making it by far the dumbest thread on the forums and yes I'm aware Let's Play exists.

I've long since stopped watching TWD with my brother and his friends because all they do is complain about how things aren't ~realistic~ enough. :cripes:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

N. Senada posted:

If you've already seen the shining, watch the documentary. If you've never seen it, I envy you and you should watch it without knowing anything about anything whatsoever.

I've seen both (movie several times), can't really remember that much about 237 and was wondering whether it'd be better to have that with me going in, or afterwards as an "oh, that's right". I'm expecting to be much more spooked in theatre than at home either way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you guys this show about existentialist dread in the modern world does not correctly show how a shotgun would be fired

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Hey, LP is useful if you want to see whether or not you'd like a certain game. I wouldn't use a TWD thread to decide whether or not to buy a specific shotgun.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also Rocket Raccoon was given his intelligence and bipedalism through genetic manipulation, so there's no reason to think he couldn't be given opposable thumbs.

Wait, I'm supposed to be angry.

Maybe his loving guns are built to be used by goddamn raccoon hands you immense loving cretin, Christ, why do you even watch movies if you're not good at it?

Is that about right?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

Falo eu. What kind of questions do you have? I haven't looked at it. Also make sure it's using você and not tu, European Portuguese is for nerds.

Yeah it's Brazilian Portuguese so that's good. I guess my question would have been more along the lines of "is this blatantly wrong and I'm just too ignorant to know it." The Spanish one is pretty good, I use it because I don't get to speak Spanish much in my day to day life anymore and I would like to practice some.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Also Rocket Raccoon was given his intelligence and bipedalism through genetic manipulation, so there's no reason to think he couldn't be given opposable thumbs.
hmm maybe like how if targeted memory erasing works, we can also assume all that other stupid poo poo that guy brought up works out in the end? it's almost as if my comparison took all this bullshit into consideration mmm yes fancy that mm mm mm hmm

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I still think 12 Years a Slave is a joke movie and was greenlighted for white liberal catharsis

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Targeted memory erasure sounds like a way dumber plot device than teaching a raccoon to talk and shoot guns.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

SedanChair posted:

I still think 12 Years a Slave is a joke movie and was greenlighted for white liberal catharsis

No poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well chattel slavery is one of those things white people should feel guilty about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

I've long since stopped watching TWD with my brother and his friends because all they do is complain about how things aren't ~realistic~ enough. :cripes:

i dunno people sitting around spitting boring bad dialogue at each other exhibiting unconvincing emotions for episodes at a time during the end of modern society is pretty realistic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you say TWD in the mirror three times, a TFR goon will appear and explain to you about headshots.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the problem with twd was that by the end of season 1 i was actively rooting for the zombies

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:unsmigghh: <--- most Americans within a couple weeks, probably

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

R. Mute posted:

the problem with twd was that by the end of season 1 i was actively rooting for the zombies

They aren't the protagonists?

Really though the show's perfect if all you want is a bunch of zombie parts flying all over.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

SedanChair posted:

It had Michael K. Williams in a brief cameo, though, so it couldn't possibly be a bad movie. :colbert:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And in spite of her amazing performance, Lupita Nyong'o's Oscar was awarded for the same reasons as Barack Obama's Nobel Prize

Oh it's a truth-telling day, today

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Walking Dead ending: don't click unless you want the entire plot to be spoiled

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

And in spite of her amazing performance, Lupita Nyong'o's Oscar was awarded for the same reasons as Barack Obama's Nobel Prize

Oh it's a truth-telling day, today
who should've won it then?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Hey look, a tumblr post managed to get into this thread.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

who should've won it then?

Lupita Nyong'o

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

They aren't the protagonists?

Really though the show's perfect if all you want is a bunch of zombie parts flying all over.

By the end of the pilot all I wanted was for the human characters to never talk but they hosed that right up

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
clickhole is firing on all cylidars today

Saturday’s Party At H.P. Lovecraft’s Pad Was INSANE

Amazing! Watch How This One Startup Is Changing The Way We Get Around

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Is this where I post how memory deletion is theoretically possible.

At least if Radio Lab isn't just making poo poo up and half the time I can't tell.

edit: link before someone asks

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
So has anybody watched "The Outlander" on Starz? Buzzfeed is claiming that it's The Feminist Answer To “Game Of Thrones” — And Men Should Be Watching It. Now obviously I know Buzzfeed is always right about everything, but what do you think, D&D Chat thread?

I know I enjoyed parts of "The White Queen," but was ultimately let down by how incredibly uninteresting its main character was.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah it's Brazilian Portuguese so that's good. I guess my question would have been more along the lines of "is this blatantly wrong and I'm just too ignorant to know it." The Spanish one is pretty good, I use it because I don't get to speak Spanish much in my day to day life anymore and I would like to practice some.

I think my cousin used http://livemocha.com/ when he was learning Italian, so that's probably got decent Portuguese. :shrug:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't really know what's un-feminist about Game of Thrones

e: oh the author of that piece is just saying "As a straight woman, I find this fantasy series much more erotic"

e: i couldn't read much further than that

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 5, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I would like to use this post to wish President Barack Hussein Obama a very happy birthday.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I don't really know what's un-feminist about Game of Thrones

Well, to be fair, the whole Cersei rape thing wasn't the most feminist thing I've ever seen. And I say this as someone who loves the show.

quote:

e: oh the author of that piece is just saying "As a straight woman, I find this fantasy series much more erotic"

Basically. That sort of poo poo happens way too often on feminist sites and blogs, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Well, to be fair, the whole Cersei rape thing wasn't the most feminist thing I've ever seen. And I say this as someone who loves the show.

yeah that was pretty messed up but i dont think it said as much about gender roles given that it was the most polite rape on the show thus far

• Locked thread