Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Zero_Tactility posted:

*Kougami remained 100% amazing the entire way through. I want to go back through the series and make a supercut of him shouting things. (I assumed this would be a thing that already exists, but Google turns up squat. What the heck)
You may already have seen this, but if not:

http://aesirsubs.wordpress.com/articles/cakeboss-archive/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So that latest episode of ToQger was pretty great. I was wondering exactly how much things would change after the wedding considering how it was built up, and I wasn't disappointed.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Twelve by Pies posted:

So that latest episode of ToQger was pretty great. I was wondering exactly how much things would change after the wedding considering how it was built up, and I wasn't disappointed.

I was really not expecting that. Although I guess that's because Noire's ability was never hinted at. I didn't think taking over the train would be so easy though.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Anybody catch NHK World's Godzilla/Ultraman tokusatsu special? All the behind the scenes on miniature work was amazing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
NHK? What is that?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Burkion posted:

NHK? What is that?

Japan public broadcasting. NHK World is all English with plenty of (hilarious) dubbing. It's mostly a news channel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I am pretty sure I chose the worst Kamen Rider to watch(only attempts at Black and Kiva years ago, quickly aborted due to a lack of interest with Black and lack of time with Kiva). I've seen nothing but hate for Wizard.

It kills me, because I collect and this figure for it is so badass.

Goddamn that's cool!

I watched The First instead. The Next, uh, next, and then Kiva. I still love Kiva's suit, opening theme, violin and vampire motifs, and it has an even cooler figure.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 4, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
God those figures always look loving terrible to me.

Like they're all super busy looking messes and look just never look any better than the actual suit design.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Those are the SIC figures right? For some reason I really like the Blade SIC figures, but none of the others.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

Those are the SIC figures right? For some reason I really like the Blade SIC figures, but none of the others.

Yup. If it's any consolation to y'all, unlike the Wizard figure above, the Kiva one is closer to the series, just with slightly darker and a little more muted colors.

Another that I think works well is Shin. I saw someone describe the line as adding more of an organic feel to the Riders, and for obvious reasons there's not much difference there for Shin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God those figures always look loving terrible to me.

Like they're all super busy looking messes and look just never look any better than the actual suit design.

Most of the SIC stuff looks to me like you took a nice figure and put it in the microwave or something.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Kabuto stuff is good because they go the other way with it and just do more detailing on the armor, making it look more like a suit of armor.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

WickedHate posted:

I am pretty sure I chose the worst Kamen Rider to watch(only attempts at Black and Kiva years ago, quickly aborted due to a lack of interest with Black and lack of time with Kiva). I've seen nothing but hate for Wizard.

Goddamn that's cool!

I watched The First instead. The Next, uh, next, and then Kiva. I still love Kiva's suit, opening theme, violin and vampire motifs, and it has an even cooler figure.

Just watch the last two episodes of Wizard. Great suit, lovely everything else, but the last two episodes are pretty good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Just watch the last two episodes of Wizard. Great suit, lovely everything else, but the last two episodes are pretty good.

I'm guessing you mean the last two episodes as the actual ending and not the horrible crossover that tried to paint Kamen Riders as "totally not heroes you guys".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm guessing you mean the last two episodes as the actual ending and not the horrible crossover that tried to paint Kamen Riders as "totally not heroes you guys".

...What? That sounds really bad.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

...What? That sounds really bad.

That's Wizard!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

WickedHate posted:

Goddamn that's cool!

Watching Wizard first buddies! :smith::hf::smith:

Hiatuses always suck for Toku, but hey, it's a fact of watching. In the meantime, I feel tempted to watch Kaiketsu Zubat on the reccomendations of Jivjov.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

Watching Wizard first buddies! :smith::hf::smith:

Sorry, you're on you're own. I watched The First to as an entry into the franchise after reading all the universal bashing of Wizard.

Is Kamen Rider on a hiatus? I thought Gaim was still going.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Sorry, you're on you're own. I watched The First to as an entry into the franchise after reading all the universal bashing of Wizard.

Is Kamen Rider on a hiatus? I thought Gaim was still going.

Gaim has arguably the best story in the last five/eight years of Kamen Rider, so of course it keeps getting preempted and goes on breaks and random episodes will just not be about Gaim what so ever and instead focus on something that is not Gaim.

Because, gently caress you, I suppose.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
You guys are so dumb, ugh

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Gaim has arguably the best story in the last five/eight years of Kamen Rider, so of course it keeps getting preempted and goes on breaks and random episodes will just not be about Gaim what so ever and instead focus on something that is not Gaim.

Man, that sucks. I'm planning on Gaim after Kiva.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

You guys are so dumb, ugh

Twisty once more is the voice of reason here.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

WickedHate posted:

You know how in the Gundam thread of late, people were talking about wanting to watch SEED Destiny and AGE and such, and everyone was reacting with horror? You're doing that here.

Blaze Dragon posted:

A Sho Aikawa penned story isn't big on heroes? Say it ain't so! That said, I kind of feel like that is what he meant, because suggesting that somebody watch the actual climax of that show instead of the show itself just seems odd. This way it's just an epilogue to the non-story that is Decade.

Burkion posted:

Its ratings are utter garbage, so knocking it off to do some other dumb poo poo is super safe. It literally can't hurt at this point.

WickedHate posted:

Man, that sucks. I'm planning on Gaim after Kiva.

Assuming you live through Kiva to get to this point, it'll probably be about done by the time you start, so you'll miss out on all that fun anyway. It'll be fine.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AzraelNewtype posted:

You know how in the Gundam thread of late, people were talking about wanting to watch SEED Destiny and AGE and such, and everyone was reacting with horror? You're doing that here.
Man, seriously? :smith: In a row, that's two seasons I wanted to get into that everyone hates.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Assuming you live through Kiva to get to this point, it'll probably be about done by the time you start, so you'll miss out on all that fun anyway. It'll be fine.

Yeah, I was thinking that. It sucks more for people watching it as it airs.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ratings are still bad? Hopefully they switch time slots soon?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

AzraelNewtype posted:

Is Kiva really regarded that poorly? I thought that moist people thought that the worst Rider shows were Decade and Hibiki.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So what's up with the Jetman...fiction on the front page of GUIS?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Son Ryo posted:

Is Kiva really regarded that poorly? I thought that moist people thought that the worst Rider shows were Decade and Hibiki.

I'm glad Decade isn't liked, because every time I've seen that Rider, the grills(lines? Hard to tell if they are 2D or 3D) on the mask look really awkward and silly, and I was near afraid it'd be a beloved series I'd catch hell for ever disparaging.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Decade, Kiva, Hibiki after the retooling, Wizard, and some people violently hate any Showa but that's all a Golgom plot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

So what's up with the Jetman...fiction on the front page of GUIS?

Some one, somewhere, hates and despises me.

(It might be a translation of the novel(s) written based on Jetman.)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

WickedHate posted:

I'm glad Decade isn't liked, because every time I've seen that Rider, the grills(lines? Hard to tell if they are 2D or 3D) on the mask look really awkward and silly, and I was near afraid it'd be a beloved series I'd catch hell for ever disparaging.

Decade is liked by a few, including myself, but not for any defensible reasons. You're safer saying it's a crap show -- that's a more accurate consensus viewpoint.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Its ratings are utter garbage, so knocking it off to do some other dumb poo poo is super safe. It literally can't hurt at this point.

Do the producers even bother to find out why kids don't watch the show?

V-Men fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 4, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Decade was rad. Tsukasa owns.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

V-Men posted:

Decade is liked by a few, including myself, but not for any defensible reasons. You're safer saying it's a crap show -- that's a more accurate consensus viewpoint.

Do the producers even bother to find out why kids don't watch the show?

If it was Sentai I could answer that. Pokemon.

Dunno what plays against Rider though.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The answer is that streaming (and to a lesser extent, torrenting) is killing traditional ratings systems but the people in charge of networks are utterly hidebound, especially in Japan--but this has an effect everywhere.

In the case of the Super Hero Time block, ratings, regardless of the show's reception, have slid gradually down because people just watch TV on an actual TV less and less. A better metric of popularity is toy sales.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is toys or advertisements more profitable?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WickedHate posted:

Is toys or advertisements more profitable?

Toys and merchandise in general by far because it's direct profits as opposed to cut percentage.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

V-Men posted:

I was really not expecting that. Although I guess that's because Noire's ability was never hinted at.

After finding that out, it occurred to me her design might be meant to evoke a black widow, which is kinda neat.

(Might be a pointless spoiler at this point)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Decade owns, the show was a mess. Wizard was a mess, the show was a mess, the suit was cool though. Kiva is awesome, but runs to :hurr: from time to time. Double owns. Blade owns. Showa owns hard. V3 is the best.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Den-Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Decade is a show with an incredibly entertaining main character, a cool gimmick, some pretty neat monster designs, a secondary Rider who you're never sure what side he's on, another Rider who might as well not even be there, no story and even less of a proper ending.

Basically I didn't like Decade but I'm totally fine with Tsukasa appearing from time to time because I absolutely enjoy his snark.

• Locked thread