Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

8th-snype posted:

I hope you wash your next batch of negs in a rogue wave.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Scheduled to go out shooting the Tetons with a local landscape photog, David Brookover, tomorrow morning at 5:30, hopefully that gives us enough time to get to a decent spot prior to sunrise.

I just went on a hike today though and my 5dmkii threw an err30 at me for the first time ever... Not good to see the day before going out early, hopefully I got it fixed by running a few manual sensor cleanings to lock up the mirror. Has anybody seen this error before?

I also picked up a MeFoto road trip tripod, my old tripod has a pretty terrible head on it and this one seems to be a substantial improvement.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Beo Crescent by alkanphel, on Flickr

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I love the southeast. Beautiful place.

Took this at a wildlife refuge in Hilton Head.
01-031.jpg by kgao1989, on Flickr

Mah city.
Atlanta at Night by kgao1989, on Flickr

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

This needs to be made into a massive print and shipped to me. Like, ASAP.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

sildargod posted:

This needs to be made into a massive print and shipped to me. Like, ASAP.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what the S&H would be like, but we could work something out if you're interested.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

351B3275 by francography, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Intersection, Bridgetown, July 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Boyup Brook, July 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Well, no clouds in the sky any of the mornings we've been in Jackson so I'm not about to win any awards but I should have a couple of shots worth sharing when I get home to process things.

Here are some phone+vsco previews. Anybody in the Wyoming area interested in taking some photos some morning soon?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Salvation Army Retirement Home by benruset, on Flickr

North along Webb by benruset, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A handful from Iceland:

More can be seen on my website. http://www.craigholloway.net/iceland/

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kujaroth posted:

A handful from Iceland:

Those are all good, but these two are bananas good.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
a landscape

by s d photo, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Kujaroth posted:

A handful from Iceland:

I guess I know where I am going next year (love all iceland photos in this thread).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

These are neat, that clock is killer.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Judging from this thread, landscape is a rather broad area of photography. Am I right on that assumption?

Laos 010 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Laos 009 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Hangzhou 002 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

El Laucha posted:

I guess I know where I am going next year (love all iceland photos in this thread).

I went last year and still want to go back. Hopefully next time I am back the weather is better...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This thread has made me want to visit the hell out of Iceland. This is probably out of scope for the thread, but when's a good time to go?

Content:

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

This thread has made me want to visit the hell out of Iceland. This is probably out of scope for the thread, but when's a good time to go?

There is no bad time to visit. It just depends on your photographic priorities and importantly, your budget.

Summer is great because you get 24 hour daylight, up to eight hours a day of golden light and fiery skies, puffins and access to the interior of the country. The downside is that Summer is ridiculously expensive (expect to pay up to double what you would pay in any other season for accommodation and car rental. And the off-season isn't cheap to start with.) Another downside is the punishing hours for good photographic light - the sun starts setting around 10pm and starts rising around 1am, depending on how far north in the country you are. But in reality if the weather is good, the light is amazing for photography from around 8pm-4am. I spent many nights shooting all night. Finally, there is no Aurora in Summer.

For every other season, virtually the opposite of the above. No interior access, no puffins, no 24hr daylight (as little as a few hours of semi-light in the middle of Winter), however it is much cheaper and you can see the aurora. The country also looks different with and without snow. Within the offseason (effectively Sept to May) there are pros and cons to each individual season, eg Ice cave access, in Winter many of the usual sites are inaccessible, how much daylight you get from season to season etc, but that's a broad summary.

I went in Summer for the record.

Huxley posted:

Those are all good, but these two are bananas good.

Cheers.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

This, together with most of the Iceland pics, is awesome.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
One of you guys posted some home developed Fuji 35mm maybe a year ago and I really liked the colors. Anyone know what I'm talking about and do you still have a link to the flickr?

maxmars posted:

This, together with most of the Iceland pics, is awesome.

Not Iceland!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Steel Bridge Tower by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Are building photographs considered landscapes?

I have plenty(although only a few I have actually had time & wifi to upload) during my current vacations in France & Poland.

20140803 Opera house_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

20140801 Eiffel 1_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Iceland could just about support its own thread and maybe make the rest of the planet feel less inferior by not having their nose rubbed in it all the time.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

GrandpaPants posted:

When I was there in February everyone told me I should have come in the summer. I thought it was very nice in the winter too, but outside of Reykjavik many of the roads are literal sheets of ice.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Kujaroth posted:

A handful from Iceland:

Great shots!

If you don't mind, roughly how long were the exposures in these? Also for Dyrhólaey and Gatklettur on your site.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Medieval Medic posted:

Are building photographs considered landscapes?

yes

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Splinter posted:

Great shots!

If you don't mind, roughly how long were the exposures in these? Also for Dyrhólaey and Gatklettur on your site.

Thanks. The very long exposures are generally 75-90s. That includes Hellnarkirkja, Dyrholaey and Gatklettur. The Bruarfoss was around 0.3s and Aldeyjarfoss around 2s.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Suicide Watch posted:

Not Iceland!

Sorry bad phrasing on my part, I meant that I liked that particular pic (which is not of Iceland) AND the Iceland pics.

This thread made me scan this. Wanted to contribute.

Leuca, Italy

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

maxmars posted:

Leuca, Italy

Literalism, HOOOOOO!

Nice shot.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Suicide Watch posted:

One of you guys posted some home developed Fuji 35mm maybe a year ago and I really liked the colors. Anyone know what I'm talking about and do you still have a link to the flickr?

Do you remember the subject of the shots at all?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
E Lower Wacker by TomOlson, on Flickr

Lake Shore East Park by TomOlson, on Flickr

UIUC by TomOlson, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Ho Swee by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 6, 2014

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Keep Out by TomOlson, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Loving these two shots. Especially RangerScum's. Those clouds are really tying the whole shot together wonderfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!