Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

This but unironically.

Or to put it in indiegamers.txt form: Actual investors don't do this poo poo because they have the mental capacity to know that if they trust a company with their money, they also trust the competency of those running the place and don't loom over them as a giant loving distraction.

You betray a lack of experience working on projects funded by investors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mutata posted:

You betray a lack of experience working on projects funded by investors.

Oh I'm used to thinks like having info for monthly updates, or weekly if there's been setbacks, but wanting some kind of livejournal of daily progress updates like gamers demand isn't something I've had to experience. Maybe some investors are micromanaging annoyances like that too though. :shrug:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Anyway, I suppose that's enough of that fun. Starbound!

I for one welcome admin commands. Also looking forward to floating dungeons. If I understand this correctly, does this mean there'd be things like space stations and space hulks etc on the map?

And I'm not going to shed a tear for sectors becoming regions instead of entirely separate maps.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Literally Kermit posted:

Anyway, I suppose that's enough of that fun. Starbound!

I for one welcome admin commands. Also looking forward to floating dungeons. If I understand this correctly, does this mean there'd be things like space stations and space hulks etc on the map?

And I'm not going to shed a tear for sectors becoming regions instead of entirely separate maps.

What's about floating dungeons?!

I swear, I already own Starbound but hearing about all the planned poo poo has me anticipating it like some game that hasn't come out yet that I haven't even played. :negative:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ToastyPotato posted:

What's about floating dungeons?!

I swear, I already own Starbound but hearing about all the planned poo poo has me anticipating it like some game that hasn't come out yet that I haven't even played. :negative:

From the dev blog a few days back:

quote:

Another bit of exciting news for the day is that Kyren has implemented floating dungeons. It might not sound like much, but what this means is we can now create dungeons that are situated in outer space without being tied to a specific planet or biome. Right now this functionality is being used for the gateway and outpost, but it could also be used for creating things like derelict vessels, space stations and instanced missions. Exciting possibilities to be sure!

I want to have my own space station! Screw planets, they just hold you back.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The thought of raiding stations and derelict ships is amazing.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

SPACE HULKS!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Feenix posted:

This is important to the relevance of Starbound:

Is Aatrek really a confirmed kiddy diddler?

He is, and as soon as Lowtax found out he was fired. Also, I don't think mods are paid, just admins/forums maintenance people, but I'm not one so I could be wrong.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Is there some kind of trick to getting the nightly builds to work or should I just assume it's always broken? It won't even load the game past the launcher :(

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

SPACE HULKS!

I feel as if there is not enough sorrow that this term does not refer to the Incredible Hulk in space.

:saddowns:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Catts posted:

Is there some kind of trick to getting the nightly builds to work or should I just assume it's always broken? It won't even load the game past the launcher :(

Saves for the nightly builds use the same folder as the ones for the normal game so delete the ones currently in your save folder and it'll work.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
And your config and universe files

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

Some fun things:

1) That powmod poster who was really taking us to task for having a secret forum made a twitter account explicitly for tweeting mollygos twice, the second time to literally post "what's wrong? SOMETHING AWFUL happen?" :allears:

Okay, that's pretty incredible :lol:

demanrisu
Aug 2, 2014

weh

MadBimber posted:

Okay, that's pretty incredible :lol:

So subtle.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Haha, so in response to Reddit finding out about a sub forum, it was deleted?

Really?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Who says it was deleted?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Arkitektbmw posted:

Haha, so in response to Reddit finding out about a sub forum, it was deleted?

Really?

You just aren't invited to the sub-sub-forum. Sorry.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Still no update?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

iuvian posted:

Still no update?

Loaded word. There hasn't been like a stable update in months. The unstable version and nightlies update all the Goddamn time but some how the blubberers never bring that up.

Also given the sheer number of mods available, etc, there's plenty of game to be played. All I ever needed was the Metroid mod, especially if we can have procedurally generated derelict ships now :buddy:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Literally Kermit posted:

All I ever needed was the Metroid mod, especially if we can have procedurally generated derelict ships now :buddy:

Ok, I haven't paid much attention since January, what is this? :allears:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I love how the posters here are so relaxed and actually talk about things, even stuff they dislike, in such an awesome way.
I hate myself for having stuck to the Steam forum for so long.. The people there are awful to say the least.

Anyway, anyone know a really good mod pack that I could use to keep myself entertained while we wait for the official stable update? And whats with this "secret SA goon sub forum" people keep mentioning over on Steam?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

iuvian posted:

Still no update?

No.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any hosting services that don't require a minimum of 10 players? I don't want to pay $10-12 a month just so a buddy and I can play together.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hamachi.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, I haven't paid much attention since January, what is this? :allears:

I actually got to look the Metroid one back up, it just had the armor and Samus' guns (power beam, ice, plasma, wave, light and dark and annihilator). All I do is make a little Samus Aran and I have infinite metroid! I uninstalled it to experiment with the nightlies, though.

The other thing involves them making "floating dungeons" ie dungeons not attached to a planet biome. So space stations etc.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Loaded word. There hasn't been like a stable update in months. The unstable version and nightlies update all the Goddamn time but some how the blubberers never bring that up.

Considering how big of a deal they made about "no more updates wiping worlds or saves" back around release, I don't think you can turn around and say those count, really.

Also it's pretty eyerolly to call people "blubberers" for not following weird experimental builds and instead waiting for actual official updates through the client they purchased it in! No one's screeching for refunds or dumb poo poo, just asking perfectly reasonably questions about an Early Access game!

edit: finally brought this custom title back to the thread it was birthed in

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Varinn posted:

i still can't imagine how much of a goddamn goon someone had to be to buy that title for you

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
The drama's good, but I'm desperate for a stable build update. Hopefully the devs can take some time off from adding new features to refine what they've already got in.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've also been waiting for a new stable update, and have a feeling that I'll be waiting for a while yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I went back to the stable build because ore loss on death made the game no longer fun for me. I am a dirty casual. :(

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Varinn posted:

Considering how big of a deal they made about "no more updates wiping worlds or saves" back around release, I don't think you can turn around and say those count, really.

Also it's pretty eyerolly to call people "blubberers" for not following weird experimental builds and instead waiting for actual official updates through the client they purchased it in! No one's screeching for refunds or dumb poo poo, just asking perfectly reasonably questions about an Early Access game!

Oh, sorry man, I wasn't calling out anyone in here for that. We just got over watching 4channers sprout a massive collective boner discovering a secret goon forum that we barely even used, writing rape fiction, and literally contacting british authorities on Chucklefish on possible fraud charges over not getting their video game in a timely manner.

I'm dyed-wool Dwarf Fortress player, so I'm really not the best judge of "updating in a timely manner", but I really do understand frustration of people. What I don't get is why they would do poo poo that would actively hinder that development with petty, vulgar bullshit. That's not reasonable at all.

I am sorry, though, that crack about blubbering was not directed to anyone here.

I am also actively trying to remove the term "giant pussies" out of my vocabulary, and "blubberer" was all I had.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah. I mean, I think it is awesome that there is all this work being done, that people can see happening in bonkers night unstable land. Since so many things are changing so fast, I can see how a stable build would not work out until they decide what features they even want to KEEP for more than two minutes. Even if I would like something to show for it on the stable end sooner rather than later. Though I still find it a pleasant surprise I have no doubt an actual finished product to enjoy will come out of all this, considering how a lot of things go on the internet. If in no small part from how well the dev team is sholdering the burden of the Average Fanbase.

Hardly anyone (Hi red Text man, I kind of agree with you about wanting to start with more than a manipulator and broken sword) on this board is the sort of super defensive sperglord who when you say "Hey, my jump button stops working during part of X boss fight.", will jump in telling you that is OBVIOUSLY intended and you should get good because indie games are perfect.

On that note, Freedom Planet was a surprisingly decent Sonic style game for most of it. Except the final boss is a bit off (Whooo, stunlock combod for my entire health bar!) despite the predictable pattern, and a chunk of bosses feel poorly balanced for the secondary character due to their lack of double jump attack/on demand super dash. One boss was still not even a threat, but 90% of the fight you can't even hit them compared to "Double jump into their face whenever".

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Literally Kermit posted:

Oh, sorry man, I wasn't calling out anyone in here for that. We just got over watching 4channers sprout a massive collective boner discovering a secret goon forum that we barely even used, writing rape fiction, and literally contacting british authorities on Chucklefish on possible fraud charges over not getting their video game in a timely manner.

Wait wait wait.

:psyduck: This is a thing that actually happened? :psyduck:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i still can't imagine how much of a goddamn goon someone had to be to buy that title for you

8 hours before the beta came out a video of some one streaming the game was on youtube so I linked it here and one of these losers PMed me trying to give me poo poo about posting it and telling me to edit the link out.

it was probably that guy.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The latest nightly is

e: My regards to the peeps behind the new subterranean soundscapes, niiiiiiice

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 5, 2014

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I wonder if there are any plans in the ore revamp to put other fuel ores besides coal in the deep early planets. It flusters my inner sperg to use coal as starship fuel, but it's something I can live with. I guess on that note, I hope there are plans to allow a craftable device to return to the surface or your ship while deep in the underground. I did love how freeing the Magic Mirror made exploration in Terraria.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Cernunnos posted:

Wait wait wait.

:psyduck: This is a thing that actually happened? :psyduck:

Yes, happening. Some anon wrote to the people in charge of investigating that sort of thing in UK companies. They already got a polite form reply that they're getting right on that.

They've burnt through 3 or 4 starbound general threads since uncovering our Goon Illuminati Forum. Anytime anyone suggests this is kind of unhealthy behavior gets that person called either Tiy, Omni, or Goon.

On the other hand, the Space Engineers and Dwarf Fortress generals seem nice so I'm just going to lean towards sbg being full of stupid idiots.

fake edit: stupid idiots who fully support rape-fics of actual people, because that's also cool and healthy!

Reminds me of this rear end in a top hat I used to be friends with back at school.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's frankly amazing the amount of poo poo Mollygos has/had to put up with from 4chan (to a less extent Reddit/twitter) over Starbound.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's frankly amazing the amount of poo poo Mollygos has/had to put up with from 4chan (to a less extent Reddit/twitter) over Starbound.

Don't want to bum you out or anything here, but knowing a few female game devs myself thanks to a friend, it has all been par for the course. The sheer volume is considerably more because she's a public face on a much bigger project than they work on, but It's the same sort of abuse from the same sorts of people.

She should carry a tazer or whatever self-defense items are allowed In Ye Olde, being stalked and harassed in real life is a loving thing that's going to be a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hey devs I heard from an elite goon poster you get a literal star when you preorder so can I have zeta reticuli 2 please thankyou

On a serious note, I really want space hulk style derelict stations in the game. I mean, surely the random monster generator can make something like a genestealer.

• Locked thread