Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Can't remember who but someone requested a picture of the Firedrake terminators pre-construction to get an idea for weapon swaps or something. Behold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Balls. I was hoping it'd be easy to give them ranged weapons.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ultragonk posted:

Just wondering what advice you guys would have for a novice for either tactics, collecting, painting etc.., I'm in the UK if it makes any difference.

Far better painters than I have covered the painting aspect, so let me touch on one of the others.

Collecting

You live in the UK, where it's easier to find 40k minis than anywhere else in the world. The most convenient options involve going to the game store and buying what you want. Ask your mates and see where they buy their stuff. Depending on your transport capabilities and desire, you could also conceivably drive to Nottingham and visit GW's HQ. I'm told it has some nice exhibits and a big store. It's not a "what to do when I need one particular miniature" type of plan so much as maybe a weekend trip that's kinda cool thing, but it is an option. Unless you actually happen to live in Nottingham, in which case I guess you could do all your shopping there.

So the easiest way is Go to Store, Buy Stuff. That is not, however, the least expensive way. Indeed, short of buying pre-painted armies painted by professionals, it's the most expensive way to get into the hobby. Depending on your personal resource level, you may choose to go with convenience over price, and there's nothing wrong with that. One of my buddies who's making sick bank as a therapist doesn't blink an eye at dropping a couple grand on professionally pre-painted armies. What he doesn't have is the time (or inclination) to sit down and do the work himself. He just wants cool looking minis to play with. So he pays and is happy.

If you're not in that wealth category, there are cheaper options. EBay, for instance, usually has minis available on the cheap. Granted, these are often in poor shape or already painted (badly) or occasionally knock-offs from Eastern Europe, but if you want an army on the cheap, EBay is one way to get there. You can also sometimes find deals here on Something Awful in the SA Mart. A brief look at SA Mart right now shows a Goon selling off some Eldar and Imperial Guard stuff, for instance.

Most online retailers sell 40k stuff at a 10-20% discount. You'll want to do some comparison shopping and probably float the retailer here on the thread....some of them suck. Every now and again we get someone here with a online horror story about crappy service, bad products, late deliveries, and the occasional flat out rip-off. Before you order from a company you've never heard of, you may save yourself some cash and heartache if you check here to see if anyone's ordered from them before.

Finally, you should ask around in your group. With twelve or so other players, there's a pretty good chance that one or more of them has stuff they don't want and may be willing to sell to you on the cheap. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but a second hand army may be a nice starting point for you.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I've decided to out more work into my Knight and I wanted to do a freehand thorn and rose pattern on it. Does anyone know of any decent reference material for something like that?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Twisted posted:

I've decided to out more work into my Knight and I wanted to do a freehand thorn and rose pattern on it. Does anyone know of any decent reference material for something like that?

Biel-tan eldar use painted thorn patterns you could compare with.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Balls. I was hoping it'd be easy to give them ranged weapons.

How is it not? Terminator powerfists are on the left side of the model, so you can cut one loose and pop it onto that bare left shoulder/arm.

Put a storm bolter directly onto the right side hand, bada bing.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

zeal posted:

Biel-tan eldar use painted thorn patterns you could compare with.

Just what I needed. Thanks mate.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The storm shield hand on the Firedrakes is on the right hand, making that a bit more difficult.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fuegan posted:

The storm shield hand on the Firedrakes is on the right hand, making that a bit more difficult.

Chop off hand, replace with storm bolter hand.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lord Twisted posted:

A goon did a beautiful green/white Eldar color theme with a rose and thorn detail. There's pics throughout the thread of them, though they might be 30+ pages back at this point.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've had a bit of a look around eBay and seen that there is a lot to get on there, I'm not the best of painters so it will be good to use some of those Dark Vengeance cultists to practice on when I get some paints from GW.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A goon did a beautiful green/white Eldar color theme with a rose and thorn detail. There's pics throughout the thread of them, though they might be 30+ pages back at this point.

That was Boon, I think.

e: Yup: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=80465

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 5, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the reference guys!

I can try to get some pics when I get a chance, maybe tomorrow. Here is the only one I still have on my comp:

Edit: Woh, it's weird seeing an archive of all of your own posts like that. Ha

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 5, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm still amazed by those gradients you achieved without an airbrush. Combined with the freehand roses and the sunbursts, I'd have burnt out and given up long ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How unique are the arms for the Sanguinary Guard? I kind of want to get a box and use them as gunslinger vanguard veterans.

Vvvv Sorry, I meant how out of place would it look if I used regular marine arms since they'll be packing two pistols.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 5, 2014

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How unique are the arms for the Sanguinary Guard? I kind of want to get a box and use them as gunslinger vanguard veterans.

They're pretty sweet. They have huge flare cuffs for the artificer armour, and their (left?) wrists have Angelus Boltguns built in...
Edit: gw http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Blood-Angels-Sanguinary-Guard has sprue photos

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Completed my Tyrannofex:

Now it's just swarms upon of gaunts left to finish painting :v:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Chop off hand, replace with storm bolter hand.

It's doable but it's worth noting that the wrist also comes with a moulded attachment for the shield, so it'd need a bit of sculpting work to remove that and tidy that area up.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I've taken an entirely new outlook on running boyz in my lists. Objective Secured pretty much guarantees the mob will be shot to poo poo and helping their attackers along the way, particularly when a friend who plays guard is calling 3 pinning orders a turn. I've turned instead, inspired by a post in this thread, to running just one enormous murderblob detachment led by a warboss around the table--that one that gets HoW and whatnot. Do detachments like that besides Green Tide run around and count as a single unit? I ask because it'd be way funny to throw the Big Bosspole on it and go to town.

e: The Greenskin Horde formation, specifically. Green Tide says as much.

e: Just figured out I don't care: 'ardboyz mob led by a Painboy is 340 points for a 4+ 5+FNP mob of assholes.

Have people been running their huge mobs with lucky stick warbosses for the WS5 boys?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Fuegan posted:

Maybe there's some detail I can't see about the stormshield hand, but it looks awesome from this perspective. Is there a giant chunk of resin for the shield to mount on on the other side?

Even if that is the case it doesn't seem like a big deal to shave it off. Resin is annoying but it's far easier to cut than pewter or even plastic.

Soulfucker posted:

Now it's just swarms upon of gaunts left to finish painting :v:

Purple supremacy again. :syoon:

And I feel bad for you, saving the mass units for last. That's tough.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

Have people been running their huge mobs with lucky stick warbosses for the WS5 boys?

stick that boss in mega armour and watch him tank all the non ap2 fire with his 2+ rerollable save.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

This is the silliest rule. I hate how 100 boyz can hide behind one megaboss.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Orks must really hate volkite culverins

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ignite Memories posted:

Buy a Thunderfire and giggle maniacally.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Buy a Thunderfire and giggle maniacally.

Alternatively laugh as they can't run and have limited WAUUUGH.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Vvvv Sorry, I meant how out of place would it look if I used regular marine arms since they'll be packing two pistols.

They should match fine. The Sanguniary Guard legs and torsos are some of the best in the entire line; as far as I know its the only kit with a bunch of the "ab armor, high collar" artificer torsos. Most of the arm detail comes from their shoulder pads and their weapons (which are attached to the arms) so if you wanted to use "plain" arms it would look perfectly nnormal. There is a lot of BA iconography on the legs and torsos (wings, tear drops, wreaths, etc.) which would probably look little out of place in an army of Black Templars or Salamanders but if you are playing BA it would be fine.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 5, 2014

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
When it comes to painting I have been following a few of the Ultramarine tutorials from youtube and have been pleased with the results. Having never painted any of these before I have found the edge highlighting to the most frustrating thing out of the whole lot. I also failed utterly at putting script lines of the purity seals, but I wasn't to torn over it. I don't ever expect to have an army as sexy as some of them out there, but the guys at the store seemed to think what I have achieved so far is above tabletop standard. I'll post some pictures later when I have a decent camera.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ignite Memories posted:

I think it's awesome and as fluffy as any of the weird wound allocation rules they've had in the last four editions or so. The shooters are all like "gently caress me here's the chance to cut the head off the loving serpent, best shoot at that prick like I learned watching The Patriot" and the chief's all like "gently caress you guys I'm immortal and I'm leading this poo poo from the front like the stories say."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
One of my side projects at the moment is trying to convert up some more Heresy-looking marines on the (relative) cheap. One of the biggest sticking points is the backpacks, as the distinctive look of the Heresy backpacks with the chevron shapes on the lower half and the associated lower vent designs is something that I'd really notice was off if I just tried to use the modern backpack styles. And unlike many of the other parts, no third party seems to make a backpack that's even close to on-model. As a last resort I can pick up Forgeworld backpacks on ebay, but it might be good to keep that to a minimum.

So I got the idea for a conversion. The inspiration was realizing that Khorne Berserker backpacks are an in-production source of that old-school, tubes and chevrons look, in plastic. So I slice off the extended Chaos upper vents, and put on the ones from a standard Mk VII pack. The result is, I think, pretty plausible as a variant/customized Mk IV-V pattern pack.

Thoughts? Obviously this one has some fuzz I'd trim off before painting, and the alignment isn't perfect if you look at it super close, but I can fix those as I go along. Does the concept work for you folks? Any suggestions?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Sulecrist posted:

"gently caress you guys I'm immortal and I'm leading this poo poo from the front like the stories say."

Yeah, this totally sells the "forging the narrative" angle of things in a unironically cool way. Heroes of every army charging forward, screaming and leading the assault while their minions die in droves to stray fire (Look Out, Sir!).

Took a better photo of Krom when I got home:

Not the best angle, but I only had use of the lightbox for a minute.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, this totally sells the "forging the narrative" angle of things in a unironically cool way. Heroes of every army charging forward, screaming and leading the assault while their minions die in droves to stray fire (Look Out, Sir!).

I don't know if you did this intentionally, but you have his shoulder pads backwards. Also you're missing the chest emblem.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't know if you did this intentionally, but you have his shoulder pads backwards. Also you're missing the chest emblem.

The shoulder mix-up is pretty noticeable. The pelt leads up to his right shoulder and I think that's supposed to be its head.

I hope it's easy to change despite being painted. Something like that would bother the hell out of me. :ohdear:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 5, 2014

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
One of you glorious bastards posted a great link to painting lightning effects that I used for the first time today. I think my duder turned out OK:

This is also the first time I've painted such a hard contrast between the recesses and the highlighted ork skin. I like the much brighter look it produces.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

One of you glorious bastards posted a great link to painting lightning effects that I used for the first time today. I think my duder turned out OK:

This is also the first time I've painted such a hard contrast between the recesses and the highlighted ork skin. I like the much brighter look it produces.

I like it. The lightning effect is neato, though I have to say that it looks like an intimidating model to paint.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PierreTheMime posted:

Drill yer barrels!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Does anybody else just not even put models together until they're already at least partially painted? I found out early on I don't have sufficiently steady hands to hit small details around bodily obstacles without a ton of trouble.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Does anybody else just not even put models together until they're already at least partially painted? I found out early on I don't have sufficiently steady hands to hit small details around bodily obstacles without a ton of trouble.

Really depends on the model. I've started dry fitting weapons then painting them separately when possible, for example. Doing bikes and riders separately is also almost always the better idea.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

I paint my models almost completely disassembled now. It makes the painting process easier for me and it motivates me to actually finish painting models so I can get them on the table. If I know I can't use it until it's completely done I'm far more likely to power through the painting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I actually paint from sprue. Then assemble. I just find it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They can work reasonably well, but one caveat is that the SG arms end at the wrists, which have their fancy Bolter/special weapon things mounted on top of them, so you'll likely have to chop those off and find some hands of your own to put on. It's certainly not undoable, however.

Ignite Memories posted:

Unless, you know, you move your guns slightly to the left or right so that the Warboss is no longer the closest model.

• Locked thread