Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
No one outside of PUA/MRA/Bitcoin/Ron Paul forums is going to get mad at you for bad mouthing people dumb enough to be libertarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

On the subject of terrible trope names, see if you can guess (before clicking the link) what Goldfish Poop Gang means.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

tacodaemon posted:

On the subject of terrible trope names, see if you can guess (before clicking the link) what Goldfish Poop Gang means.

quote:

The trope name comes from the Japanese idiomatic phrase kingyo no fun, which literally means "goldfish crap"
Of course it does.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

tacodaemon posted:

And what better example image than a panel from a lovely webcomic?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

A much more understandable trope name is Encyclopaedic Knowledge, which is in fact about characters who seem to know something about everything, but then it has this example near the bottom:

quote:

Many (if not the vast majority of) tropers on this very wiki would almost certainly qualify, purely by virtue of spending so much time learning so many different trivial details about so many different things for the lulz of it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tacodaemon posted:

A much more understandable trope name is Encyclopaedic Knowledge, which is in fact about characters who seem to know something about everything, but then it has this example near the bottom:

Example of Tropers' Encyclopaedic Knowledge:

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
Binders full of (young) women.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
You know I never looked at that chart long enough to realize the distinction between "realistic" and "nonrealistic" sizes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What would a T+ cup even look like anyway?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Conservatively speaking.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

A google search for T cup bra led me to this:

:haw:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Spalec posted:

That looks like something Madonna or Lady GaGa would wear.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Spalec posted:

That's legit awesome, though.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Annointed posted:

Conservatively speaking.

How fortuitously timed for Venn's birthday!

Real talk though, there's a somewhat famous specialty bra store in NYC called Linda's. They say that their new employees have to go through a three-month training program before they are allowed to do custom bra fitting for customers. And even that place only advertises up to N cup.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

How fortuitously timed for Venn's birthday!

Real talk though, there's a somewhat famous specialty bra store in NYC called Linda's. They say that their new employees have to go through a three-month training program before they are allowed to do custom bra fitting for customers. And even that place only advertises up to N cup.

I think Venn never intended to make his charts for discussing grossly disproportionate honkers :v:. But still, 3 months to learn how to fit bras? That's comparable to suit fitting as far as I know. Oh what would I do for a goon to open a tell thread on that.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Frank: You know about the cup sizes and all? They have different cups.
George: I-I know about the cups.
Frank: You got the A, B, C the D. That's the biggest.
George: I know the D is the biggest. I've based my whole life on knowing that the D is the biggest.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Boobs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I am so tempted to just go and randomly C/P from the introduction to one of their breast tropes now.

...gently caress it, it's Torpedo Tits time!

For reasons usually related to Rule of Sexy or Rule of Funny, a woman's chest area is sometimes chosen as the source for some projectile. It could be anything from a weapon to a light show, just that it's not something that should come out of breasts (or usually even the human body).

Named for a nickname kids in The Fifties and The Sixties gave the "Bullet Bra" (a brassiere whose cups had a distinct conical shape, designed to.. um.. 'bolster' a lady's look, whether she was wearing a sweater or a grand evening gown).
A Sub-Trope of Chest Blaster.

Compare Victoria's Secret Compartment.

Contrast Breast Attack (when the breast is the target instead).

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

The Internet claims that this is what an N cup looks like

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

tacodaemon posted:

How would such a person go about sleeping? Traction?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sweeperbravo posted:

Knowing how hazardous those size of breasts are to human beings?

VERY carefully and, if I remember, not flat on your back.

Seriously those are health hazards and can kill you.

AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT DUMB TROPE ABOUT USING BREASTS AS WEAPONS I MEAN LITERALLY THEY WILL KILL YOU, THE PERSON WHO OWNS THOSE BREASTS

gently caress Tropers

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Burkion posted:

Knowing how hazardous those size of breasts are to human beings?

VERY carefully and, if I remember, not flat on your back.

Seriously those are health hazards and can kill you.

AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT DUMB TROPE ABOUT USING BREASTS AS WEAPONS I MEAN LITERALLY THEY WILL KILL YOU, THE PERSON WHO OWNS THOSE BREASTS

gently caress Tropers

The only people I know to date to ruin boobs for me are goons pointing out that sometimes big is too big, and tropers saying "yours is as big as your head, no, we need to go bigger". Now it's just one more reason to not like Tropers.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Alouicious posted:

I'M THE KING OF THE SHITPILE
goddammit, I had to double-check that I wasn't reading the DA:I thread because of this

sweeperbravo posted:

in my extensive research of this question, I discovered that these exist:

It's a "Kush" breast supporter. Why would you make it those colors?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Stroop There It Is posted:

goddammit, I had to double-check that I wasn't reading the DA:I thread because of this

in my extensive research of this question, I discovered that these exist:

It's a "Kush" breast supporter. Why would you make it those colors?

I guess if you have to simulate soapy titwanks just to avoid discomfort, you might as well have a sense of humor about it. :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I am so tempted to just go and randomly C/P from the introduction to one of their breast tropes now.

...gently caress it, it's Torpedo Tits time!

For reasons usually related to Rule of Sexy or Rule of Funny, a woman's chest area is sometimes chosen as the source for some projectile. It could be anything from a weapon to a light show, just that it's not something that should come out of breasts (or usually even the human body).

Named for a nickname kids in The Fifties and The Sixties gave the "Bullet Bra" (a brassiere whose cups had a distinct conical shape, designed to.. um.. 'bolster' a lady's look, whether she was wearing a sweater or a grand evening gown).
A Sub-Trope of Chest Blaster.

Compare Victoria's Secret Compartment.

Contrast Breast Attack (when the breast is the target instead).

You have to love how many grand, sweeping tropes consist solely of bizarre, goofy nonsense that you'd only ever see in terrible animes (all of them). But no guys this is an important academic resource on all of human achievement.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Strategic Tea posted:

You have to love how many grand, sweeping tropes consist solely of bizarre, goofy nonsense that you'd only ever see in terrible animes (all of them). But no guys this is an important academic resource on all of human achievement.

You know, after actually reading through that thing I posted... This really stuck out to me:

Regalingualius posted:

It could be anything from a weapon to a light show, just that it's not something that should come out of breasts (or usually even the human body).

Do I even want to know what they meant by this? Because I'm now imagining stuck with "poo poo NIPPLES"

:barf:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

You know, after actually reading through that thing I posted... This really stuck out to me:

Do I even want to know what they meant by this? Because I'm now imagining stuck with "poo poo NIPPLES"

:barf:

You remember that part in Who Framed Roger Rabbit where one of the thugs reaches into Jessica's cleavage only to pull his hand back with a bear trap clamped on it?

That's what it means. Basically hammerspace only for cleavage.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

A trope page called "Bestiality Is Depraved" assures us: "Bestiality is also known as Zoophilia or Zoosexuality, and the Furry Fandom do look down upon it, just so you know."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

A trope page called "Bestiality Is Depraved" assures us: "Bestiality is also known as Zoophilia or Zoosexuality, and the Furry Fandom do look down upon it, just so you know."

Cause if there's one thing an alleged analysis site needs, it's to reassure its user base that furries aren't into bestiality. Although one could easily find that statement bullshit considering like every other article its uncredited to any sources so you don't have a voice of credibility to your case.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

tacodaemon posted:

citation needed

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

MinistryofLard posted:

citation needed

That'll never fly. There's no such thing as notability, don'tcha know?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

In the movie Seven Kevin Spacey kills a dude by making him eat a ridiculous amount of food and then kicking his stomach so it explodes.

I wonder if we can apply the same principle to this lady's tits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

In the movie Seven Kevin Spacey kills a dude by making him eat a ridiculous amount of food and then kicking his stomach so it explodes.

I wonder if we can apply the same principle to this lady's tits.

Luckily for you, TV Tropes has a page on that fetish.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

There is no force on earth that could make me click that

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

ActionZero posted:

There is no force on earth that could make me click that

TV Tropes posted:

Ryona
What is known as Ryona is a kind of fetish video that features several things: the fatalities of classic and modern Fighting Games, deaths from survival horror games, assaults on women depicted in various anime, or just the beatdown or shooting of a specific character in other game types.

The media always includes one or more characters beaten up, unconscious, or dead. But what defines Ryona is the one thing that all of these videos have in common: the recipient is Always Female — the Spear Counterpart, known as "Gyakunote -Ryona," exists mostly as a backlash and is extremely rare in comparison.

Ryona tends to focus on powerful male characters defeating or dominating female ones. Less common are scantily-clad women fighting the unfortunate victims in something akin to Girl on Girl Is Hot.

Ryona is not limited only to videogames — sometimes it is also includes scenes from other media such as anime, comics, TV and movies that include battering, abusing or otherwise killing women.

Compare with Stuffed into the Fridge, Break the Cutie, Kill the Cutie, Screaming Woman, Monster Misogyny, Straw Misogynist.

Luckily, there are no examples.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Swan Oat posted:

This changed my opinion on media and violence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

watho posted:

This changed my opinion on media and violence.

I agree. There needs to be more violence employed against certain kinds of media.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Swan Oat posted:

Ahahaha because the admins decied to remove them. Look at the talk page and pretty much everyone thinks the page is garbage but can't delete the page because of reasons. Anyway I went into the history to find some examples back when they had them.

quote:

The ''JusticeLeague'' episode 'Panic in the Sky' features a fight between Supergirl and Galatea that is particularly brutal for a children's television show. The enjoyment that Galatea gets from pummeling Supergirl (and making her defeat as long and painful as possible) could even be seen as a direct acknowledgement of this trope.
:tvtropes: Why yes, the animators were definitely acknowledging our obscure japanese internet fetish

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Well, turns out the tropers have a "Headscratchers" page for Fallout 3. And they have a lot to say about Little Lamplight. A lot.

:downs: posted:

Okay, so when the children in Little Lamplight reach the age of 16, they get kicked out and have to make their way over to Big Town. Where has Little Lamplight been getting replacement kids for the last 200 years? I don't recall anyone in Big Town mentioning having kids and taking them back to Little Lamplight either.

:tvtropes: posted:

Teenage pregnancies, anyone?

:words: posted:

There's no real reason for Little Lamplight to exist the way it does, except that the Developers just wanted a town full of nothing but children (every settlement is entrenched in Fantasy to some degree - for instance, Tenpenny tower is full of rich people who are there just because they say they're rich, Megaton is a town built around a nuclear bomb, Rivet City is a city inside a wrecked aircraft carrier). The real simple question with no answer is: why, in 200 years, did not one of these kids simply beat up the mayor and say "I'm mayor now and I'm changing the rules, I'm not leaving and neither is anyone else" - 200 years of anarchy and poor education is a long time for everyone to follow a rule like "You're 16 now, get out!" simply because the previous adults left to try and find help. Child Cruelty be damned be damned, at some point, these kids have probably taken shots at each other over dumb arguments. Why hasn't anyone over the age of 12 matured to the point where they think of something better? They have the resources to bring back more kids and more food, but they enforce the rule that they have to kick out adults with the only reasoning being "we don't have the room or resources" - food is required for adolescents far more than at any other time of life, except for pregnant or lactating mothers - yet they bring more children into Little Lamplight, enough weapons to fight off super mutants (and sell to complete strangers), produce enough food for the entire population with enough to spare the Lone Wanderer, and then there's plenty of room in their gigantic cavern, with some intact buildings outside which they could pull apart for more supplies.

Okay I'm done here.

Some other highlights include "Why is cannibalism evil?", "Why is slavery evil when killing is just SO much worse?" And "Man, the fact that I can't save a psychotic old man from laying in the bed he shat in means Bethesda is sadistic!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Look at the talk page and pretty much everyone thinks the page is garbage but can't delete the page because of reasons.

Is that what you see when you look at the talk page? Because what I see is this:

Pretty sure this has been posted before but who cares it's worth posting a hundred times posted:

I think that this highly Freudian fetish is deeply misunderstood not only by its critics, but by many of its fans as well. Despite appearing to be naught but simple misogyny at first glance, it is actually a rather complex and nuanced mental exercise, incorporating elements of:

Sadomasochism: There's an obvious sadomasochistic edge to it. In Ryona, the masculine is synonymous with violence, and the feminine with the property of being beholden to that violence. The more helpless or imperiled the victim, the more pleasure the audience receives. However, one does not necessarily need to be a sadist to enjoy the genre. One may perhaps try to step into the victim's shoes, thus embodying the feminine/masochistic aspect rather than the masculine/sadistic one. Nevertheless, it is very clear that domination/submission plays a key role in the fetish.

Schadenfreude: The audience may place themselves under the false impression that the feminine represents a state of undeserved protection from harm or loss, whether physical, emotional or financial in nature. Part of the... "enjoyment"... (to use the term loosely) of the genre comes from a perceived reversal of this trend. The key is that the audience must create a fantasy world within his or her own mind where the real-world status quo is either irrelevant or does not exist. The viewer must create the illusion that women are over-privileged and deserve to be knocked down a peg from whole cloth. This is the "negative" interpretation method.

Compassion: The audience may desire to experience strong feelings of sympathy towards the victim. They may wish to view a helpless person being brutalized so that they may picture themselves in the role of a rescuer or savior. They may further imagine the victim turning the tables on their tormentor and getting revenge for whatever act provoked the sympathetic response in the audience in the first place. The fetish may seem bizarrely contradictory in that it can embody unrestrained male chauvinism one moment and then amazon feminism in the next, with the dichotomies reversed at the audience's leisure. The part that most people don't understand about the fetish is that partaking in a sort of postmodern, surrealistic act of contradiction is a very important part of the whole experience. The fetish is - itself - highly contrarian and elitist in nature to begin with. This is the "positive" interpretation method.

Extremes: The audience derives pleasure from deeply-juxtaposed and paradoxical representations of human behavior. Their mind internalizes a complex dichotomy of the masculine versus the feminine, the chaste versus the obscene, the normal versus the abnormal, the real versus the unreal. The fetish necessitates that the audience see things in black and white, with little deviation from this formula. Under those conditions, it is only natural that the "victim" role be played by a woman. To the audience, the feminine represents a state of submission. With a few exceptions (see "Compassion" above), attempting to reverse this trend by putting a male individual in the victim role is like pulling a block out of the foundation that the fantasy is built upon. The audience's meticulously-built Jenga tower comes crashing down all around them. It's important to keep in mind that the feminine and masculine are reduced to mere symbols under the precepts of this fetish. The victim and tormentor are not "persons". They are far too two-dimensional for that. Rather, they are simply viewed as manifestations of the audience's own psyche.

Exoticism: The audience has tricked themselves into believing that they're the only ones in the world who possess this fetish/complex, disavowing the existence of like-minded individuals who possess it also. An analogy would be a wealthy millionaire who purchases a Ferrari, convincing himself of the delusion that he is the only "real" Ferrari owner in the world and that all others are illusory. Ryona is likewise highly solipsistic in nature, exploring and deconstructing the very nature of gender roles in fiction. This is a key element of the fetish; one must constantly be in a state of denial about real-world circumstances, constructing deep fantasies about gender relationships that may or may not have a basis in fact.

Ryona isn't so much a genre or a trope as it is a very specific way of interpreting certain events in a fictional context, thus deriving emotional or sexual stimulation from them. It is possible to perceive elements of this fetish or complex in works of pretty much any genre that combines physical conflict with female characters. Books, superhero comics, monster movies, exploitation flicks, video games, tokusatsu shows, etc.

Manifestations of this fetish or complex could perhaps be diagnosed as a form of neurological or psychological disorder, depending on whether or not the individual who possesses this complex suffers any ill effects from it. It could be most closely linked to sadistic or masochistic personality disorders, or even gender identity disorders. The conditions and disorders that underlie Ryona as a fetish may become pathological if the audience extends their simplistic perceptions of fictional characters to the real world (i.e. "It's okay for me to hurt this person because they're not real. They're in my head.")

So, when you tell a Ryona fan that he's sick in the head and that violence against women is commonplace, now you know why he (and it's usually a he) is so quick to lash out in response. He doesn't WANT to think that he's experiencing something common. Real-world violence against women does not interest him or dissuade him in the least. It may even repulse him. Rather, he simply wants to maintain the illusion that violence against women is uncommon and that he is experiencing something exotic and unusual by partaking of fiction that contains violence against women.

Don't take my word for it, though. I'm no psychologist. This is just my own little attempt to analyze the genre as deeply as I can and clear up any misconceptions that some people might harbor over it.

Getting off on watching women being beaten: a complex and nuanced mental exercise.

In the page's edit history, though, we see the TvTropes staff hard at work making their japanese misogynistic violence fetish page less creepy. TvTropes admin FastEddie removes the line "Please do not list any examples. This page is Squicky enough as it is," while TvTropes moderator removes the potholed link to the Humans Are Bastards page for not being objective.

• Locked thread