Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kazil posted:

Yeah, besides bad shooting, terrible inventory, copy and paste planets, the terrible buggy, convoluted plot and elevators, ME1 was perfect :rolleyes:

I don't understand why everyone thought ME1 had these rich space exploration side to it. Every planet was basically the same. At least ME2 had the decency to have good shooter mechanics.

The mileau, detail put into stuff like the codex, and the fact that story-related worlds were all really cool. It felt like you were actually exploring and tackling a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I've been playing with the SPERG mod and it adds so many little quality of life improvements. You can melt down equipment for crafting materials, the perk system's been reworked so most perks benefit your character in general instead of that specific tree, plus you can reset them at any time.

SPERG is really great. The speech tree is actually useful now because there's a set of perks that affect the strength and cooldowns of your Shouts, so there's actually a reason to bother with it. The only problem I have with it so far is that the "Bullettime" Block perk is completely hosed and should be avoided at all costs.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
Shining Force II: slade loving sucks

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

kazil posted:

Yeah, besides bad shooting, terrible inventory, copy and paste planets, the terrible buggy, convoluted plot and elevators, ME1 was perfect :rolleyes:

I don't understand why everyone thought ME1 had these rich space exploration side to it. Every planet was basically the same. At least ME2 had the decency to have good shooter mechanics.

I'm not going to pretend that the game isn't tedious, as far as combat goes I actually think ME3 had the best system. Exploration seemed like a total afterthought in the first game and once you finish the valuable minerals sidequest, the only reason to land on other worlds is to do "real" sidequests, which as you said, are basically a cut/paste.

ME2 and ME3 did manage to give nods to the faults of the previous games through dialogue, and it turned from something dragging the game down into something endearing. Then again, lots and lots of people invested hundreds of hours into the series, so I may just be looking at the bright side.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

People always rattle off poo poo ME2 cut out from ME1, as if everything they're listing wasn't padding and bullshit that made ME1 a loving slog of a game.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

dataisplural posted:

Shining Force II: slade loving sucks

Take time to promote him and Slade becomes one of the best in the game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I played through the 3 games as femshep and decided to do a manshep run on insanity(I've beaten them all on insanity so it's just for personal gratification). I played through the first game like 6 times over the course of 3 days for the free skill points and to max out my dude, then started my insanity run with the intent of playing all 3 games to completion. By the time I beat the first mission and started doing stuff on the Citadel, I was so burnt out on it that I put it down and haven't touched it again for like 3 months.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

They're mostly PC gamers, who confuse tedious drudgery with something that is not tedious drudgery. Just look at The Witcher, which is basically the patron saint of that type of thinking.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

People always rattle off poo poo ME2 cut out from ME1, as if everything they're listing wasn't padding and bullshit that made ME1 a loving slog of a game.

On the other hand, all of that stuff did make ME1 feel like it was a part of a larger world than ME2 (I never played three after feeling disappointed in that department by 2, as well as the immediate bad reception). I felt like ME1 was promising that the series would be a mixture of 'Star Wars' space opera and 'Star Trek' exploration. When ME2 hit the scene, the latter was set aside for interpersonal stories and a less grand adventure feel. This is not a bad thing per-se, but it wasn't what I wanted out of that series; which I why I prefer ME1's flawed but interesting mechanics versus ME2's polished but bland design.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
ME2 does most things better than ME1, except the dialogue, plot and the whole not showing you the stats on the guns you're equipping thing. Though I can't knock the plot of 2 too much, it's not 2's fault that 3 rendered so many of its plotlines utterly irrelevant. Dark Energy and all.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

im pooping! posted:

I played through the 3 games as femshep and decided to do a manshep run on insanity(I've beaten them all on insanity so it's just for personal gratification). I played through the first game like 6 times over the course of 3 days for the free skill points and to max out my dude, then started my insanity run with the intent of playing all 3 games to completion. By the time I beat the first mission and started doing stuff on the Citadel, I was so burnt out on it that I put it down and haven't touched it again for like 3 months.

:pwn:

I feel like these bits might be connected in some way that is totally independent of the games in question.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Chard posted:

:pwn:

I feel like these bits might be connected in some way that is totally independent of the games in question.

Ha, look a this guy who's never seen what happens when goon sperginess meets with a "branching" story line.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The coin in MK8 needs to loving go, or at least patch it to lower how often it shows up.

I'm trying to 3 star everything and I keep getting hosed over because of coins as I can't defend myself from the barrage of red shells the A.I gets.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

The coin in MK8 needs to loving go, or at least patch it to lower how often it shows up.

This. And also the blue shell doesn't play fair. I've had it target me when I'm in fourth or fifth place. I don't mean that it hits me on its way to the first place racer, but specifically does the orbit animation and blasts me while I'm already trailing the leaders.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

HairyManling posted:

This. And also the blue shell doesn't play fair. I've had it target me when I'm in fourth or fifth place. I don't mean that it hits me on its way to the first place racer, but specifically does the orbit animation and blasts me while I'm already trailing the leaders.

Were you in first at all relatively recently? The shell targets whoever's in the lead at the time it was thrown, so you may have changed places in the time it took to get to you. Failing that it might be lag if you're online and if you weren't then I dunno man.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

Ha, look a this guy who's never seen what happens when goon sperginess meets with a "branching" story line.

Its probably because its not a branching storyline

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Sardonik posted:

ME2 does most things better than ME1, except the dialogue, plot and the whole not showing you the stats on the guns you're equipping thing. Though I can't knock the plot of 2 too much, it's not 2's fault that 3 rendered so many of its plotlines utterly irrelevant. Dark Energy and all.

I agree. It'd been so long since I played ME1, I could almost see it with new eyes. I really loved the story and the reveal of the game universe. It was a lot better than 2 at this - 2 really felt like a caretaker episode where 80% of it was recruiting team members and helping them with their personal lives. We learned roughly what the Collectors were at the beginning and that they're working with the Reapers, and then almost nothing happens with that plotline until the end.

But yeah, game play, art style and execution were much better in ME2. ME2 doesn't have too many individual problems that will stop me dead in my tracks like ME1 did; and I thought that bar Afterlife was one of the coolest things I'd seen in a game at that point.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

Do the ME games not allow multiple saves, or...? Just reload and make a different choice, or youtube that poo poo. Or wait more than 12 hours before starting again :wtc: that was the part that threw me

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oxxidation posted:

They're mostly PC gamers, who confuse tedious drudgery with something that is not tedious drudgery. Just look at The Witcher, which is basically the patron saint of that type of thinking.

But I don't like The Witcher, precisely because it's tedious drudgery :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I gave up early on The Witcher as Geralt was more interested in playing Michael Flatley rather than hitting enemies with his sword. And why does he need two swords anyway?

A game that has exploration, but does it very poorly, is the original Baldur's Gate. There's miles and miles of empty countryside with samey enemies and only two or three notable things per map. I've sunk thirty hours into the game over three runs and I've never even gotten into the titular city. The sequel is fantastic but the original feels like a bad Wheel of Time novel.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Aug 5, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I gave up on The Witcher as Geralt was more interested in playing Michael Flatley rather than hitting enemies with his sword. And why does he need two swords anyway?

The steel sword is for humans while the silver sword is for monsters.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sardonik posted:

ME2 does most things better than ME1, except the dialogue, plot

This is just plain wrong, period. Mass Effect 2 has one of the best video game plots of all time from a design standpoint.

ME1 is a very typical "bop from plot point to plot point as the talking heads tell you what hoops you need to jump through next" video game plot. I guess it passes for good since most video games have a lovely talking-heads-hoop-jumping plot. ME2 gives you an objective: "Go through the Mass Relay of Doom, find out what the gently caress is on the other side", and then tells you what you need to do to achieve it: "assemble your team", and then it turns you loose to accomplish your mission. It puts the player in the driver's seat of the story and gives them a sense of agency most games don't even realize that they should be delivering.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

DStecks posted:

This is just plain wrong, period. Mass Effect 2 has one of the best video game plots of all time from a design standpoint.

ME1 is a very typical "bop from plot point to plot point as the talking heads tell you what hoops you need to jump through next" video game plot. I guess it passes for good since most video games have a lovely talking-heads-hoop-jumping plot. ME2 gives you an objective: "Go through the Mass Relay of Doom, find out what the gently caress is on the other side", and then tells you what you need to do to achieve it: "assemble your team", and then it turns you loose to accomplish your mission. It puts the player in the driver's seat of the story and gives them a sense of agency most games don't even realize that they should be delivering.

Yeah, you could argue that they were less ham-fisted delivering the plot in ME2, but I still think the plot in general is less interesting. It's supposed to be chapter 2 of a trilogy about Reapers and their repeating purge of the galaxy. Some plot tangents are great, but almost the entire plot is about your crew's personal problems. It felt like a "break" from the story rather than part 2.

Reminds me of one thing I hated about Arkham City. It starts with "Protocol 10", but then immediately turns into a Joker side-plot for the next 6 hours. Then you get a quick resolution of Protocol 10, and then back to Joker bull poo poo. Mass Effect 2 was like the Joker part - parallel to the plot without really adding a whole lot.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The issue with is that instead of Shepards Continued Campaign Against the reapers, you go deal with a bunch of new guys you know like nothing about and who are more or less concluded within the game. It Harbinger had played a larger, more direct role in things, maybe it wouldve made more sense, but i was more or less disinterested in dealing with the colectors, especially with cerberus and dead shepard and etc.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mass Effect 2 should have ended with Harbringer as the final boss, as he was the closest thing to a main villain in the game. It would have been fitting to kill him after his taunting you the entire time, especially since he appears in Mass Effect 3 with nothing to do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
As the resident person with The Wrong Opinions in regards to western RPGs (Oblivion is better than Skyrim, by the way), I will step up to bat for ME1. I got it at the same time as ME2 because I liked Dragon Age: Origins enough to see what else Bioware had on offer, and started 2 literally an hour after 1. I will say that I liked playing 2 at the time, but there was a vague feeling of disappointment that I couldn't quite figure out at the time.

It was replaying both of them in succession again a few years later in preparation for ME3 (which I didn't end up getting) that I put my finger on it. ME1 did everything I wanted to see it do, even if it didn't necessarily do all of it well. It's a big, grand Space Adventure, about going to all these amazing different planets and shooting up the joint, and even if they didn't do that especially well, I heartily enjoyed their attempt.
The gameplay had shooting, but I liked that it was still an RPG about it. I can't shoot for poo poo in games, but in ME1 I didn't need to since the guns were only part of a larger system. I could focus really heavily on the non-gun parts of my character, make that my primary force, and not even bother with a gun outside of an emergency pistol, and still turn out really strong. Every single tech and (especially) biotic power had this immense impact to them, too, it was so satisfying to whip them out.
The worldbuilding was really strong too, and aided the whole 'Space Adventure' feel. It really let you get a feel for the world at large around you, and get a feel for a galaxy where humans aren't necessarily the center of things. Every alien race is really interesting, and the game knows that and focuses on it. Hell, your six-man crew only has two humans, and one of them doesn't even survive to the end. The game knew we wanted to go 'humans are boring, let's hang out with the cricket cop, giant lizard brute, blue-skinned space babe and space gypsy' and then gave it to us.
And finally, it just looks and sounds like exactly what I wanted it to. Alien landscapes, copious amounts of bloom, electronic music, yes, this is exactly how you Space Adventure.

...Then Mass Effect 2 rolls around, and it's Gears of War with some RPG features.
Exploration didn't work, so they cut that out completely.
Gameplay is now extremely gun-centric, even for the non-gun classes. Tech and biotics were both toned down considerably to be more of a quick-fire aid, instead of high-impact tide-turners.
Liked the many different species and focus on the interesting different types of aliens from the original? Too bad, you're now working for the Human Supremacists group, your party now consists of professed space racists, a poor attempt at recapturing the best party member from the original, two different focused, emotionless killers, and two returning party members that spend the game doing a lot of not much. There are only two good party members that weren't returning characters, and one of them comes so late that you only get to spend three missions with him.
I'll grant that it tries for interesting landscapes, and succeeds rather often, but you get a lot of plain earthlike planets and storage warehouses. And they ditched the electronic music for orchestral; I like orchestral stuff, but the electronic music suited the setting so much more, and really let it stand out.

ME2 might be a better game than ME1 on objective metrics, but it did so by abandoning everything I actually enjoyed about the original except for being arguably prettier.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought 2 had a fine plot. Independent of the party member plotlines it revealed the end game of the Reapers, the fate of the Protheans, established how all the different factions were(n't) reacting to the Reaper threat, and provided closure for its main plot while still leaving stakes high for the sequel. That's really all you could ask for for the middle entry of a trilogy.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Mazerunner posted:

Were you in first at all relatively recently? The shell targets whoever's in the lead at the time it was thrown, so you may have changed places in the time it took to get to you. Failing that it might be lag if you're online and if you weren't then I dunno man.

Not playing online, so it can't be lag. I've seen it happen twice on 150cc and both times it was on the clock level. Maybe there's something screwy with the pathing on that level?? I'm also positive it wasn't me being in first, getting targeted by the shell, then dropping back a few places. Both times it happened I was somewhere around 3rd to 5th and the shell specifically targeted me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I took advantage of the sale they had for Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I'm not absolutely hating it, but I can I wonder why they went this route with this particular franchise.

Generally the Paper Mario games had very creative writing, unique areas and such, this one though is just a by the numbers Mario game stage wise, plains, desert, forest, water, winter, etc, the combat is limited by its sticker system since you feel like hoarding them for bosses, on top of that combat is largely pointless as you don't get exp anymore, just coins, lots and lots of coins, I have 600 coins at the end of 1-5 which seems like a shitload, course the game has a money sink in the form of slots you can use to be able to use more than one sticker, said slots are required for certain bosses as you can't hurt them unless you do 2 moves in one turn.

What little writing there is seems Paper Mario esque at least.

I can see why the game was so poorly received though, its a serious 180 from the previous titles.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Mass Effect 2 should have ended with Harbringer as the final boss, as he was the closest thing to a main villain in the game. It would have been fitting to kill him after his taunting you the entire time, especially since he appears in Mass Effect 3 with nothing to do.

I've read that Harbinger's almost complete absence from ME3 was executive meddling; like, "we don't want people who didn't buy the first two games to be confused, so don't use the villain you introduced in part two in any big way because it might alienate them." Not to say I believe it, but the game was such a mess I could see it as a plausible possibility.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

I've read that Harbinger's almost complete absence from ME3 was executive meddling; like, "we don't want people who didn't buy the first two games to be confused, so don't use the villain you introduced in part two in any big way because it might alienate them." Not to say I believe it, but the game was such a mess I could see it as a plausible possibility.

One of the advertising lines for ME3 was "A great jumping on point for the series" so chances are you are on the money.

It also explains why nothing you did in the other 2 games mattered or was mentioned.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

Cleretic posted:

...Then Mass Effect 2 rolls around, and it's Gears of War with some RPG features.
Exploration didn't work, so they cut that out completely.
Gameplay is now extremely gun-centric, even for the non-gun classes. Tech and biotics were both toned down considerably to be more of a quick-fire aid, instead of high-impact tide-turners.
Liked the many different species and focus on the interesting different types of aliens from the original? Too bad, you're now working for the Human Supremacists group, your party now consists of professed space racists, a poor attempt at recapturing the best party member from the original, two different focused, emotionless killers, and two returning party members that spend the game doing a lot of not much. There are only two good party members that weren't returning characters, and one of them comes so late that you only get to spend three missions with him.

ME2 is a great game, but seriously gently caress thermal clips and universal cooldown on powers.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

So I took advantage of the sale they had for Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I'm not absolutely hating it, but I can I wonder why they went this route with this particular franchise.

Generally the Paper Mario games had very creative writing, unique areas and such, this one though is just a by the numbers Mario game stage wise, plains, desert, forest, water, winter, etc, the combat is limited by its sticker system since you feel like hoarding them for bosses, on top of that combat is largely pointless as you don't get exp anymore, just coins, lots and lots of coins, I have 600 coins at the end of 1-5 which seems like a shitload, course the game has a money sink in the form of slots you can use to be able to use more than one sticker, said slots are required for certain bosses as you can't hurt them unless you do 2 moves in one turn.

What little writing there is seems Paper Mario esque at least.

I can see why the game was so poorly received though, its a serious 180 from the previous titles.

This was a direct result of Miyamoto's meddling.

Alteisen posted:

One of the advertising lines for ME3 was "A great jumping on point for the series" so chances are you are on the money.

It also explains why nothing you did in the other 2 games mattered or was mentioned.

Almost every mission directly involves a previous party member and is different based on your relationship with them, whether or not they survived the previous games, or even if you never met them in the first place. ME3 had a lot of mis-steps but they did a pretty good job throwing in a lot of throwbacks, even if it wasn't the ridiculously impractical pipe dream of completely different storylines and gameplay that people spent so much time dreaming up that reality could never hope to compare to it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It always seems like 90% of the criticisms of ME2 are "It wasn't what I thought it would be/ isn't what I think it should be". Which is exactly as legitimate a criticism as saying "Inglouruous Basterds was awful because it should have been an action movie".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

DStecks posted:

It always seems like 90% of the criticisms of ME2 are "It wasn't what I thought it would be/ isn't what I think it should be". Which is exactly as legitimate a criticism as saying "Inglouruous Basterds was awful because it should have been an action movie".

I think it's fair enough to criticize ME2 from being too big a departure from the original. I liked ME1, a lot, and was hoping for another game like it, which isn't really something that exists. Instead I got Gears of War with RPG elements, and while it might be good at being Gears of War with RPG elements, that isn't what I expected, nor what I wanted.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I think it's fair enough to criticize ME2 from being too big a departure from the original. I liked ME1, a lot, and was hoping for another game like it, which isn't really something that exists. Instead I got Gears of War with RPG elements, and while it might be good at being Gears of War with RPG elements, that isn't what I expected, nor what I wanted.

This is pretty fair imo. I liked both ME1 & 2, but aside from the lore, they really did feel like two different franchises.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DStecks posted:

Maybe if Roger Ebert wasn't so good at trolling gamers more of them would adopt his philosophy of reviewing things for what they are rather than what you wish they were.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Mass Effect 2

Mining minerals is dumb and tying it in to the survival of my crew is dumber.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Saints Row IV
Any mission that requires the use of telekinesis on specific objects. God drat I heard the same dialogue from the sportscasters like 50 times trying to get that gold.
e: haha holy poo poo they were just talking about these on the last page, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Maybe if Roger Ebert wasn't so good at trolling gamers more of them would adopt his philosophy of reviewing things for what they are rather than what you wish they were.

When you call a game "Mass Effect 2" it's fairly reasonable to expect it to be rather similar to its predecessor, considering that's the reason it's called that.

Even if you want to make the comparison to film, saying you were disappointed with Terminator 2 because it wasn't very much like The Terminator, despite being a very good film in its own right, is a realistic and reasonable point of view.