Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Woah WOAH WOAAAAH Just found the other unreleased 0.24 trailer! turn your speakers down seriously.

Photosensitive epilepsy warning, jesus christ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Keiya posted:

Photosensitive epilepsy warning, jesus christ!

I died at :2bong: pott manley :2bong:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Welp, playing around with Jebediah Kerman's RCS during an EVA on Minmus, managed to slam him into a side of a cliff at probably 50 m/s. Now I have to send a one way ship with a pilot to bring back all the sweet, sweet science I have sitting on the surface. I've had stranded Kerbals before, but never a stranded ship.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there a way to play this game without all the... math?

Also holy poo poo I can't even get anything into orbit without sticking 10 solid rocket boosters onto my vehicles.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

So I made this interplanetary probe hub that I liked. Then, I extended the solar panels.

Welp.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FISHMANPET posted:

As someone who landed two kerbals on Duna and made it back to Kerbin safely without ever using a calculator and/or any mods, yes.

Just be prepared to abuse the crap out of save/load and lots of missions where you make the trip all the way to Duna only to realize you can't actually lift off from the surface and other fun trial-and-errors. But hey, I just figure that was part of the learning process.

Also don't forget that sometimes less is more. Try launching with just 2 boosters first and see how high you can get, then try 3 , then 4, then 6, etc

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

FISHMANPET posted:

Also holy poo poo I can't even get anything into orbit without sticking 10 solid rocket boosters onto my vehicles.

Yeah, just put as much fuel as you can in a ship, and fiddle with the maneuver node until you get the trajectory you want. As long as you are using NERVAs the fuel will go a long way.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

FISHMANPET posted:

You've already figured out how to play without math. :jeb:

Get mechjeb or kerbal engineer for the basic information like TWR and dV. There isn't much you'd need beyond that. Just have fun blowing up kerbals while figuring out how to do stuff.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

FISHMANPET posted:

Figure out how to Asparagus Stage, and you won't need math anymore.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Arsonide posted:

Had a random forumgoer (KeenGuitar) submit some more art for the EVA contract. Should be able to work with this. (Most of this will be underground.)

Important question: Can you grab it with the claw?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

This seems to be what happens if you spawn an anomaly where a rover iswas parked.

The great thing is that while I'm testing things, I just quit out by closing the program, meaning it doesn't save, and this happens every single time I come back. No two explosions are quite the same. It's Sherbert Kerman's personal hell.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 5, 2014

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
I'll admit not being a huge fan of that art asset. Call me lame but I like KSP to be kept PG. :colbert:

Also, man blender is hard. I'm trying to figure it out but it doesn't let me do poo poo with the mouse. I just wanna make a stockalike Gemini-ish pod :saddowns:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Synnr posted:

For some reason I can't find the docking port pack I remembered in the ksp forums, blah.

Anyone using uh..debrefund, when is it actually worth even putting parachutes on stages, or am I just reading the refund popup wrong? Even under 5m/s it doesnt seem like I'm even getting my parachutes price back when I drop the first stage almost ontop of the launchpad.

And do those parts not aerobrake when up high? Looking at the last sub-orbital stage return, it seems like the number of parachutes I stuck to it to test would have been sufficient for a big empty tank, but it impacted at a pretty high speed.

I know the pack you meant and I don't think I've seen it since the start of the year. It was also rather buggy in that you could get things stuck in multiports. Personally I put different sized ports round my craft and use aviationlights to colour code which one is which so I can move to the right side on approach.

Ditch debrefund and use StageRecovery. It does all the same things, works fine and it tells you the mass to drag ratio each piece had in the message so you can add/remove chutes as necessary.

FISHMANPET posted:

Get MechJeb or Engineer to do the maths for you. Then you only need to learn what numbers it shows you = good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I'm building a giant gently caress-off station. Any suggestions for the best camera mod? Trying to focus in on specific tiny parts is now impossible thanks to the constant re-centering of the camera.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I used to use HullCam: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46365-0-23-5-Hullcam-VDS-Converted-DEA-to-MU-Updated-7-Jun

Not sure if its working with .24 but it should be.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lansdowne posted:

So I made this interplanetary probe hub that I liked. Then, I extended the solar panels.

Welp.

World War II would've been funnier if Hitler had been childish enough to make really everything in the shape of a swastika.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tried it out, managed to discover all it does is show you camera angles from wherever you attach the camera. I'm just looking for less restrictive boundaries or some way to re-orient my camera around my craft so it's centered on the parts I need centered w/o having to EVA a Kerbal to do the focusing. Is there some specific camera in HullCam that can achieve this (judging by the mod's OP, no) or some other mod that can do it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DaveKap posted:

Tried it out, managed to discover all it does is show you camera angles from wherever you attach the camera. I'm just looking for less restrictive boundaries or some way to re-orient my camera around my craft so it's centered on the parts I need centered w/o having to EVA a Kerbal to do the focusing. Is there some specific camera in HullCam that can achieve this (judging by the mod's OP, no) or some other mod that can do it?

Kerbcam might be able to do this.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Ratzap posted:

I know the pack you meant and I don't think I've seen it since the start of the year. It was also rather buggy in that you could get things stuck in multiports. Personally I put different sized ports round my craft and use aviationlights to colour code which one is which so I can move to the right side on approach.

Ditch debrefund and use StageRecovery. It does all the same things, works fine and it tells you the mass to drag ratio each piece had in the message so you can add/remove chutes as necessary.

Yeah I just usually paint the rondelle I stick the ports on a different color depending on the type (larger port, larger wavelength(nerd)). I just remember that pack being sort of nifty and getting frustrated when I realize one shielded port doesn't quite like up like I thought it would.

As to StageRecovery, I thought folks were making GBS threads on it earlier in the thread? I'll snag it though, since debrefund doesn't seem to really give me any worthwhile returns anyway.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Synnr posted:

As to StageRecovery, I thought folks were making GBS threads on it earlier in the thread? I'll snag it though, since debrefund doesn't seem to really give me any worthwhile returns anyway.

DebRefund caused a brief bit of drama by including an (undocumented?) auto-updater built in. It's opt-in now, but it was originally written in as opt-out.

It wasn't a huge deal but came across as another example of the Majiir-style attitude to users on the official forums.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Synnr posted:

The other way around. Debrefund put in version checking at a bad time without it being in the release notes initially.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Hremsfeld posted:

The entire craft can be a single subassembly, all it means is that it is a perfect sub-set of itself. This is only the case if the root part has at least one attachment node open.

As for docking ports, does anyone know what has to be changed in the large docking port's config file to allow it to be the root part?

A root part has to have at least one connection node (The green spheres) as well as allowing surface attachment. Docking ports fail the latter test.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

DelphiAegis posted:

A root part has to have at least one connection node (The green spheres) as well as allowing surface attachment. Docking ports fail the latter test.
Normal (and I think small) docking ports can already be used as root parts, though, it's just the large ones that can't be. The problem is that it isn't consistent.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does the "B9 Aerospace Pack" have sperg AIDS? I haven't kept up with the whole spyware/phone home egodrama and i haven't tried modding until now so i have no idea what's safe and what's infected.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ratzap posted:

Unless it's been fixed, StageRecovery caused me to lose a flight until I removed it. This happened while saving mid-flight and then exiting the game, and while suborbital stages to be recovered hadn't "landed" yet.

So just be aware of that, and don't exit the flight until stages are fully recovered. I had to pull the mod to be able to continue, and might switch to debrefund since the creator made the tracking opt-in anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The B9 pack hasn't been officially updated since like, .22 I think.

Someone occasionally updates it for a new version but I dunno who or what they add to it, if anything.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

OwlFancier posted:

Someone occasionally updates it for a new version but I dunno who or what they add to it, if anything.

They probably just recompile the .dlls for the new version, unless someone's going in and fixing balance for .24 career.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My Gilly lander is cute:

This was an Apollo-style (but unmanned) mission. After this I docked with the interplanetary stage and went home, after transferring the remaining fuel from the probe to the main tank and ditching the empty tanks, engine and adorable little scaffolding landing legs into Gilly's surface, taking only the probe core and science equipment with me. I think I'll re-use this design for Bop and Pol (which have similar gravity, right?).

My little probe has lovehandles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bop and Pol are in Minmus territory, but that lander should be able to handle them.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What kinda parts pack do you guys use then to build fancy stuff?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

There should be a new version of B9 fairly soon, they've been releasing teasers.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Having landed my (working!) rover some 60km from the site I need to scout, I would love a first-Kerman view on EVA.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Walton Simons posted:

Having landed my (working!) rover some 60km from the site I need to scout, I would love a first-Kerman view on EVA.

Here, this mod offers it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dongattack posted:

What kinda parts pack do you guys use then to build fancy stuff?

KW Rocketry, Spaceplane Plus

Bad Luck
May 2, 2012

Luneshot posted:

There should be a new version of B9 fairly soon, they've been releasing teasers.

Any links to these? All I can find is a mod-locked thread on the forums.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Longbaugh01 posted:

They probably just recompile the .dlls for the new version, unless someone's going in and fixing balance for .24 career.

See also: KAS, kethane. And probably a bunch of other abandoned maintained mods.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Longbaugh01 posted:

Unless it's been fixed, StageRecovery caused me to lose a flight until I removed it. This happened while saving mid-flight and then exiting the game, and while suborbital stages to be recovered hadn't "landed" yet.

So just be aware of that, and don't exit the flight until stages are fully recovered. I had to pull the mod to be able to continue, and might switch to debrefund since the creator made the tracking opt-in anyway.

How old is your version? He posted something about 'unlanded stages fix' last week I think. So what happened, did you reload the game and find the flight gone or something?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
First time I've played this in over a year and hey there's a career mode now. Neat!

On my very first attempt at landing on the Mun, using a woefully ill-designed test vehicle that I never expected to even get into Mun's orbit with, I safely backed it into this parking space:

But the ladder was too short to get to the surface and get a soil sample! So I added some landing struts and extended my ladder. This will be easy!

Now, 40,000 attempts later and using a much more competent design, I have yet to successfully
1) Get to the Mun
2) Land on the Mun safely without tipping over at the very. last. second
3) Leave with enough fuel to get back to Kerbin

I can do 2 of 3, but never all in the same mission! :downs:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The Mun's gravity is light enough that you can use the EVA jetpack (press R) to counteract it and get back into your pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
For the Mun you don't need a ladder. Jetpack works just fine.

Otherwise, yeah, the last 20 meters are a killer. If you get MechJeb or Engineer Redux you can see how much delta-v you have left for your ship--very handy to know "welp I'm stuck" or "I can just barely make it home"

• Locked thread