Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sarcopenia posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Suzanne_Capper

If you thought Kelly Anne Bates thing was terrible you wont like this one. And all over a pink duffle coat and crabs.

This line really got to me

Why? :(

Wow, the dude who pulled out her teeth got out of jail in 2001. I wonder if he got a new identity? Cause I mean, if I was one of her family members I'd want to have words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

peter gabriel posted:

The whole thing from when it happened until today is all kinds of hosed up, it upset me as a child and now I have a son of Jamie's age it upsets me in a different, more raw way.

gently caress yeah, this. I found that article (jesus, I really hope it was this article) in the last horrifying wikipedia pages thread when my daughter was just turning two and I immediately unfollowed the thread over it. loving hell, the world is awful and we should just let the missiles fly and be done with it.

Edit: closed after reading one sentence. Not going to read this article.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Remember when this thread was about cool scary poo poo like number stations and stuff and not people just googling for the worsterest evil serial killer murderers?????????? Miss missing the missing miss thread or

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BurnBlackJay posted:

Remember when this thread was about cool scary poo poo like number stations and stuff and not people just googling for the worsterest evil serial killer murderers?????????? Miss missing the missing miss thread or

Yeah, I really feel there should be a split thread so there's a place to hear about the spooky poo poo that unnerves you and the serial killer poo poo that makes you hate humanity. PYF Serial Killer sounds really bad though, even if that's basically what this thread is turning into.

Here's an article that I think will keep both camps happy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Yeah, I really feel there should be a split thread so there's a place to hear about the spooky poo poo that unnerves you and the serial killer poo poo that makes you hate humanity. PYF Serial Killer sounds really bad though, even if that's basically what this thread is turning into.

Here's an article that I think will keep both camps happy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck

Here's a non-mobile link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck

Sort of related:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Edward_Coneys

Dude breaks into someone's house and lives there for five weeks apparently without anyone knowing, kills the owner and hides there for nine more months before he's caught. The impressive thing about this is the police are still routinely checking the house nine months later and that's how he's caught.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Y ospos reminded me of my fave scary creature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatzelwurm

And another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadborosaurus_willsi Sea snake monster. Doesn't look like much in the pictures.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Witch

Here's a ghost :ghost:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_death_worm

One of my fave cryptids.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I guess if you have to murder someone you should do it in western or northern Europe. Prison is probably like Club Med and you're only there for a little while. Get an education while you're there....Hell, murdering and European prison could be the shot in the arm someone needs!

We don't have murderers in northern Europe.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Oh hey it's cryptid chat, I did a little bit of research on them since it's urban legend month in the CC doodle thread, and the most bone-chilling, terrifying one I found by far was (Not safe for work...or for minds) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwedritsche.

E: VV thanks VV

Humboldt Squid has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Aug 5, 2014

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Humboldt Squid posted:

Oh hey it's cryptid chat, I did a little bit of research on them since it's urban legend month in the CC doodle thread, and the most bone-chilling, terrifying one I found by far was (Not safe for work...or for minds) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwedritsche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwedritsche

No period. :D

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

This is the coolest fake animal I've ever seen.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Walk without rhythm.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
During the euthanasia discussion, especially considering the mention of Versed, I thought this might be brought up, but it wasn't. So here it is, the condensed Memorial Medical Center saga during the events of Hurricane Katrina.

I'm not sure this has been posted yet since I haven't made it through the entire thread, but it definitely has a place here.

Wikipedia posted:

Dr. Anna Pou, an associate professor in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology at the LSU Health Sciences Center, was at Memorial Medical Center from before Katrina's landfall on Monday, August 29 until Thursday, September 1. By Wednesday, the hospital was surrounded by floodwaters, without sanitation, running out of food, experiencing indoor temperatures up to 110 °F (43 °C), and had no electricity. The staff decided to evacuate the hospital. Patients on upper floors had to be carried down the stairs, and those evacuated by helicopter had to be carried up more stairs to the helipad on a separate building; several patients died while being moved. By Friday, about 2,000 patients, families and staff had been evacuated "under incredibly difficult circumstances".

The seventh floor at Memorial was leased to LifeCare Hospitals of New Orleans. LifeCare provides long term acute care for severely ill patients, aiming to improve their health to the point that they no longer need hospital care. Many of LifeCare's patients at Memorial were especially affected by the loss of electric power; seven were on ventilators.

One patient in particular, Emmett Everett, was alert and in the hospital awaiting surgery to relieve a chronic bowel obstruction, a condition not acutely life-threatening. He had fed himself breakfast that morning and asked the staff, "Are we ready to rock and roll?". One of his nurses later told investigators he had said, "Cindy, don't let them leave me behind." According to witnesses speaking to The New York Times, Pou was alleged to have administered a lethal cocktail of drugs to Everett with the intent of ending his life. Everett was a paraplegic and weighed approximately 380 pounds; for these reasons, according to staff who participated in the discussion, Dr. Pou allegedly didn't think the staff could reasonably assist him in the evacuation.

Now, this already seems bad, but is also basically what you'd expect from a morally grey-area scenario at a hospital in a serious crisis, especially this kind of crisis (and especially if you consider that the people who were at the hospital had brought their pets with them, many of whom had to euthanize them before being rescued because there simply wasn't enough room on the boats or helicopters) but it continues on.

Wikipedia posted:

On September 11, mortuary workers recovered 45 bodies from the hospital. Toxicology tests were performed on 41 bodies, and 23 tested positive for one or both of morphine and the fast-acting sedative midazolam (Versed), although few of these patients had been prescribed morphine for pain. In the following weeks, it was reported that staff had discussed euthanizing patients. Some reports went further. Dr. Bryant King, an internist at Memorial, told CNN that he believed that "the discussion of euthanasia was more than talk." LifeCare told the state Attorney General's office that nine of their patients might "have been given lethal doses of medicines by a Memorial doctor and nurses."

Mind you, this is as people are being evacuated, even if the discussions had taken place before that.

Hospital staff singled out DNR patients, and decided to care for the people who were more likely to survive first, and, sure, that might make sense, in a way, when you're in a crisis situation, but those DNR patients were, essentially, given the least priority, even if they had a shot at living longer lives.

Wikipedia posted:

King explained his actions in terms of his opposition to Pou's alleged actions, arguing "I'd rather be considered a person who abandoned patients than someone who aided in eliminating patients."

He went on to do several interviews, and a lot of the staff responsible (unsurprisingly) discredited him as much as possible.

However...

Wikipedia posted:

At the request of the Louisiana AG's office, Orleans Parish Coroner Frank Minyard investigated the cause of the deaths. Experts reported abnormal levels of morphine, midazolam (Versed), and/or Lorazepam in several bodies. In many cases, the experts said, the presence of the drugs indicated homicide. Experts agreeing that the administration of morphine and midazolam constituted homicide in many of the deaths on the seventh floor included noted forensic pathologists Cyril Wecht and Michael Baden, along with three other independent experts, including the then-president of the American Academy of Forensics, James Young. Wecht thought eight of the nine deaths on the LifeCare floor could conclusively be ruled homicides, and Baden thought all nine constituted homicide.

Whether or not this is truth, or spin by an author who wants to get noticed, is kind of beyond the point. The situation itself - detailed in this New York Times article which is a MUST READ on the absolute catastrophic hellfuck these people were going through - was a heartbreaking horrorshow in and of itself.

I'm not going to say that Poe was right or wrong, or any of the staff were, because I wasn't there, and I don't know the full extent of the conditions they, or their patients, were in. However, in the case of the rather large man that they could have carried over the roof and been fine, the one who was begging to know whether or not he'd be left behind...?

The author who wrote the New York Times article linked above also wrote a (very well narrated, if you'd like to listen to an audio) book about all the research she put into it.

I could give you details about the book, but it's more interesting to hear it in her Daily Show interview, in which Jon Stewart finds it difficult to make some funnies.

EDIT: There's an interview with Dr. Pou from 60 minutes regarding this whole ordeal. By contrast, there's Charity Hospital's account of their attempts to get critically ill patients evacuated. Memorial had the highest fatality rate out of all of the hospitals in New Orleans.

The creepy as hell thing, for me, in this, is the total lack of disaster preparedness that we have in a great deal of hospital, counties, cities, states, etc, and that it defaults to relying on people who are working off of so much fatigue and anxiety based on the total lack of response (throughout the entire thing, no matter how much they tried to communicate) from their parent company (Tenet) that they thought that euthanizing people during an evacuation is their best course of action. If it was in the thick of it, I could understand.

All in all, the story of Memorial sucks for the patients, and the doctors.

EDIT 2: There was a similar situation that happened with Hurricane Sandy.

Old Boot has a new favorite as of 11:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasue

quote:

The Krasue (Thai: กระสือ), known as Ap (Khmer: អាប) in Cambodia and as Kasu in Laos, is a nocturnal female spirit of Southeast Asian folklore. It manifests itself as a woman, usually young and beautiful, with her viscera hanging down from the neck, trailing below the head.[1]

quote:

This spirit moves about by hovering in the air above the ground, for it has no lower body. The throat may be represented in different ways, either as only the trachea or with the whole neck.[4] The organs below the head usually include the heart and the stomach with a length of intestine,[5] the intestinal tract emphasizing the ghost's voracious nature. In recent movie Krasue Valentine, this ghost is represented with more internal organs, such as lungs and liver, but much reduced in size and anatomically out of proportion with the head.[6] The viscera are sometimes represented freshly daubed with blood,[7] as well as glowing.[8] In contemporary representations her teeth often include pointed fangs in yaksha (Thai: ยักษ์) or vampire fashion.[9] In the movie Ghosts of Guts Eater she has a halo around her head.[10]

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
more cold war optimism, nukes will solve everything!
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-u-s-s-insane-attempt-to-build-a-harbor-with-a-two-megaton-nuclear-bomb

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Getting at this natural gas is going to take a long time. What if we just nuke it? I fail to see what could go wrong.

Oh gently caress, everything went wrong!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BurnBlackJay posted:

Yelp I think I might have helped cause that derail.:ohdear:
I just got so excited that I made my first posts without getting banned.

Well here is some truly unnerving content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJspYSFBxtk

In 1987 in San Francisco a couple of guys move in next to a very loud pair of guys. What they hear is so strange and volatile that they start recording their arguments. People started handing the tapes out. Viral before the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up,_Little_Man!

There is also a documentary about it called "Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure" that I sadly haven't seen yet.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

In 1987 in San Francisco a couple of guys move in next to a very loud pair of guys. What they hear is so strange and volatile that they start recording their arguments. People started handing the tapes out. Viral before the internet.

There is also a documentary about it called "Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure" that I sadly haven't seen yet.
Reminds me a lot of the Tube Bar prank calls. A couple of 20 year olds prank call an old, extremely gravelly voiced, ex-boxer, bar owner in the mid-seventies. They get him to yell out ridiculous names (Mike Unstinks, Clint Toris, Pepe Roni, Marty Cone, etc.) or just say rude things about his mother. This made the bar owner fly off the handle and give them violent threats. I'm certain that the bar owner is the inspiration for Moe's character on The Simpsons. The calls are all on itunes if you want to listen to them. Most of them are under 30 seconds so it's not like you'll have to pay.

An interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-vY3jNJ6Q

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Aug 5, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
hosed up snake oils and such scare the poo poo out of me, personally. Partially because of how toxic they can be, or the ability of their salesmen to manipulate people. Just look at antivaxxers to see how dire things can get when charismatic people spout a bunch of bullshit to make money.

Today, I learned about the Miracle Mineral Supplement, which I can only assume was named sarcastically. It's a toxic solution that is meant to cure the typical list of diseases panaceas can take care of: HIV, cancer, autism, malaria, the common cold, etc. It's bad enough on its own, but the instructions on the supplement tell you to mix it with citric, which happens to produce chlorine dioxide. By using this product "correctly", you are essentially drinking bleach.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BurnBlackJay posted:

Agreed, but I do understand why we get a load of serial killers posted, it's like when you're sat in a pub chatting - people chip in with similar stories and so it goes on.
I do love the oddball and strange stuff posted in this thread though.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

hosed up snake oils and such scare the poo poo out of me, personally. Partially because of how toxic they can be, or the ability of their salesmen to manipulate people. Just look at antivaxxers to see how dire things can get when charismatic people spout a bunch of bullshit to make money.

Today, I learned about the Miracle Mineral Supplement, which I can only assume was named sarcastically. It's a toxic solution that is meant to cure the typical list of diseases panaceas can take care of: HIV, cancer, autism, malaria, the common cold, etc. It's bad enough on its own, but the instructions on the supplement tell you to mix it with citric, which happens to produce chlorine dioxide. By using this product "correctly", you are essentially drinking bleach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ineffective_cancer_treatments

There are so many of those :(

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nckdictator posted:

James Bulger

Wikipeida posted:

In June 2007, a computer game based on the TV series Law & Order, titled Law & Order: Double or Nothing (made in 2003), was withdrawn from stores in the UK following reports that it contained an image of Bulger.

I bought that on a random whim last week at a thrift store. I had no idea about the inclusion of the abduction image or even Bulger's murder until I read this. :smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Aug 5, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I bought that on a random whim last week at a thrift store. I had no idea about the inclusion of the abduction image or even Bulger's murder until I read this. :smith:

Oh god, so it does...

That's the very famous CCTV footage of him being led away

Bizarrely Law And Order UK also waded in with an inappropriate resemblance image type thing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305346/James-Bulgers-family-outraged-UK-crime-features-copy-cat-storyline.html

peter gabriel has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Aug 5, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I think this is one of the scariest thing about the disease, knowing that even in the best scenario, you've got the sword of damocles hanging over you. It makes you an easy mark for any rear end in a top hat claiming their special diet, wondrous drug, or mystical technique can fix you. For some patients, bouncing between quacks and charlatans becomes their life.

It's bad enough having cancer take so much from you, without these buzzards eager to take the rest. I wish they were prosecuted more severely.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I think this is one of the scariest thing about the disease, knowing that even in the best scenario, you've got the sword of damocles hanging over you. It makes you an easy mark for any rear end in a top hat claiming their special diet, wondrous drug, or mystical technique can fix you. For some patients, bouncing between quacks and charlatans becomes their life.

It's bad enough having cancer take so much from you, without these buzzards eager to take the rest. I wish they were prosecuted more severely.

It should be but thanks to our wonderful government's love of freedom the only requirement to label something as some kind of health food or say it might have some benefits is that some expert, somewhere said "yup, that's healthy!" Doesn't even need to be a nutritionist or a doctor. It's why you saw things like pomegranate juice being marketed as magical immortality liquid. Pom in particular claimed that the antioxidants in pomegranate juice significantly reduced your risk of literally everything so DRINK THAT poo poo BY THE BUCKET FULL, FOLKS! It got so bad that the FTC eventually drug POM to court to get them to knock it the gently caress off. They said "this advertising basically is saying that your juice is a drug that will cure diseases but it is not it is a loving juice and you will label it appropriately."

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Agreed, but I do understand why we get a load of serial killers posted, it's like when you're sat in a pub chatting - people chip in with similar stories and so it goes on.
Yeah, it's okay to have a subject trend, but I guess that's plenty of that for now.

Sarcopenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJspYSFBxtk

I bought the original CD in the early 00's... at first you're just "Hahaha cursing angry drunks" but after a while you really get sucked into the complex and dysfunctional relationship between the two men (and there's a creepy third guy who apparently just sat there drinking and never said anything), after learning more about them it becomes really sad and almost heartbreaking, but somehow doesn't stop being funny.

ObContent: Sea Monk is my favorite cryptid article because the illustration is really, really unnerving. And knowing that it was just a giant squid doesn't make it any less creepy.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian%E2%80%93Triassic_extinction_event

quote:

The Permian–Triassic (P–Tr) extinction event, one of several events colloquially known as the great dying, occurred about 252 Ma (million years) ago, forming the boundary between the Permian and Triassic geologic periods, as well as the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras. It is the Earth's most severe known extinction event, with up to 96% of all marine species and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species becoming extinct. It is the only known mass extinction of insects. Some 57% of all families and 83% of all genera became extinct. Because so much biodiversity was lost, the recovery of life on Earth took significantly longer than after any other extinction event, possibly up to 10 million years.

Researchers have variously suggested that there were from one to three distinct pulses, or phases, of extinction. There are several proposed mechanisms for the extinctions; the earlier phase was probably due to gradual environmental change, while the latter phase has been argued to be due to a catastrophic event. Suggested mechanisms for the latter include one or more large bolide impact events, massive volcanism, coal/gas fires and explosions from the Siberian Traps, and a runaway greenhouse effect triggered by sudden release of methane from the sea floor due to methane clathrate dissociation or methane-producing microbes; possible contributing gradual changes include sea-level change, increasing anoxia, increasing aridity, and a shift in ocean circulation driven by climate change.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

Yelp I think I might have helped cause that derail.:ohdear:
I just got so excited that I made my first posts without getting banned.

Well here is some truly unnerving content

Don't worry about it, it wasn't a derail anyway. Serial killers are unnerving and scary. So are cryptids and diving accidents and mass extinctions. Every so often people whine about serial killer chat and it's always lame. Goons seem to think that the "your" in PYF is specifically only addressing them, I guess. "Hey let's split this scary unnerving stuff I'm not interested in seeing into another PYF please!!!"

That Polish hospital case really threw me off though, what a bizarre murderous racket...funeral home bribes?!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Don't worry about it, it wasn't a derail anyway. Serial killers are unnerving and scary. So are cryptids and diving accidents and mass extinctions. Every so often people whine about serial killer chat and it's always lame. Goons seem to think that the "your" in PYF is specifically only addressing them, I guess. "Hey let's split this scary unnerving stuff I'm not interested in seeing into another PYF please!!!"

That Polish hospital case really threw me off though, what a bizarre murderous racket...funeral home bribes?!

To be fair, when the thread is nothing but serial killers and mass killers and child killers etc., it gets pretty drat depressing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

To be fair, when the thread is nothing but serial killers and mass killers and child killers etc., it gets pretty drat depressing.

True enough but the thread title tipped me off that I wouldn't be rolling around guffawing it.

Content....

The Kursk submarine disaster always got to me because the sheer size of the thing (longer then 2 jumbo 747s) and the cloak and dagger world of Russia / underwater stuff in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster

Shits me up just thinking about a sub disaster

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

peter gabriel posted:

The Kursk submarine disaster always got to me because the sheer size of the thing (longer then 2 jumbo 747s) and the cloak and dagger world of Russia / underwater stuff in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster

Shits me up just thinking about a sub disaster

quote:

The Kursk was reputedly unsinkable.[5] The submarine had a double hull with a 3.5-metre (11 ft) gap separating them, nine water-tight compartments, and was as long as two jumbo jets.[5] It had a mythical standing and it was claimed to be able to withstand a direct hit from a torpedo.[5]

Shipwrights just loving love to tempt fate, don't they?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nobody in the shipbuilding industry has used "unsinkable" since, oh, 1912.

Nobody with a passing knowledge of naval architecture or physics would describe a submarine as unsinkable. They're designed to sink. You'll notice the reference is to a Guardian article; mass media is absolutely terrible about anything that relates to naval technology.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
In regards to the James Bulger case:

quote:

Prime Minister John Major said that "society needs to condemn a little more, and understand a little less"

What a oval office.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't see why those two things have to be exclusive.

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

And on that note, lets look at some unnerving ferry disasters!

MS Express Samina

The MS Express Samina was a roll-on/roll-off ferry operating in the Agean Sea when it made its last cruise on September 26, 2000. The crew got the ship underway, set the autopilot, deployed the fin stabilizers to make the ride smooth.... and then they all of them hosed off to go watch a soccer game on TV. Seriously. They didn't even leave the FNG in the wheelhouse to watch for passing traffic. And that was a real shame, because the port-side stabilizer, for whatever reason, didn't properly lock into place, and the boat drifted off course. By the time somebody did actually go up to check on things it was too late to save it from a collision course with the Portes islets, a pair of rocks in the Bay of Parikia. Not that they didn't try, somebody attempted a left turn away from the rocks, but it was too little, too late. The rocks tore a six-meter long and one-meter wide hole above the water line. And then to add insult to injury, the rocks bent the stabilizer fin backwards, and the fin cut through the hull through the side, below the waterline.

Now even then if nothing else had gone wrong, this boat still could have limped back into port. The ferry had 11 watertight compartment doors in the cargo area to contain leaks in just such a situation. Guess which doors hadn't been closed before they set sail? And wouldn't you know it, the very first room that the water rushed into happened to be the engine room! So they couldn't close them after the fact to try to ameliorate the situation. And since there was effectively no power at all the whole boat went dark and caused people to panic. Several members of the crew abandoned ship while passengers were left in the dark with no idea of where to go to evacuate and no one to lead them.

Three minutes after impact the boat was listing 5 degrees to port. Ten minutes later that had increased to 14 degrees and the larger 6-meter gash was now taking on water. Four minutes later, the tilt had increased to 23 degrees, making it impossible to launch any more lifeboats. Only 3 of the 8 on board had been launched, so the poor SOBs that actually managed to find their way out to the deck in the dark were now SOL, at least until they reached the water. Twenty minutes later the boat had completely rolled over on its side, and it sank about 10 minutes later. The whole thing took less than an hour to sink.

Total death count: 82 out of 533 aboard, 1 port master who overexerted himself during the rescue effort, 1 manager of the ferry company who later committed suicide when he learned he would be charged with negligence

MS Herald of Free Enterprise

The Herald of Free Enterprise was working the route between Dover and the Belgian port of Zeebrugge on March 6 1987. This was not its normal route, and the linkspan at Zeebrugge had not been designed specifically for the Spirit class vessels: it used a single deck, preventing the simultaneous loading of both E and G car decks, and the ramp could not be raised high enough to reach E deck. To compensate, the captain filled the ballast tanks to bring the ship lower into the water to make the ramp reach. He should have restored the trim after loading was complete, but the ship was running late and he forgot. Strike one.

Meanwhile, the assistant boatswain had returned to his cabin for a short break after cleaning the car deck upon arrival. It was his duty to close the watertight doors before dropping the moorings. Unfortunately that break would be a costly one, because he fell asleep and was still asleep when the harbor-stations call sounded. The first officer was required to check that the doors were closed before going to his harbor station. He later said that he thought he saw the boatswain coming, but it's believed that under pressure to get to his harbor station on the bridge on time, he had left G deck with the bow doors open in the expectation that the boatswain would arrive shortly. One other person was on that deck, another boatswain who was finishing up his jobs. When asked why he didn't do something about the open door, he answered that it wasn't his duty. He finished his jobs and left the deck with the door wide open. The first officer made it to his post and told the captain that loading was complete. And since the captain couldn't see the doors from the wheelhouse, and there were no indicator lights to confirm that the doors are closed, and no failsafe, he assumed all was well and set sail. Strike two.

The ferry sets out 5 minutes late. Once they're out of the harbor the captain pushes the speed up to the full 18 knots to make up for lost time. The boat was already low in the water due to filling the ballast for loading. And because they were still in relatively shallow waters, the low pressure under the hull caused the bow to dip even lower then it normally would in deeper water. This left a 1.5m clearance between the waterline and the door. When pushed up to full speed, the bow wave was amplified by shallow water effect, and it caused water to go gushing into the wide open doors. Strike three, you're out.

It only took 90 seconds to sink. Of the 539 people on board, 193 died including 38 crew members. Many died from hypothermia, rather than drowning, when they were suddenly dumped into the cold North Sea.

MV Sewol

This happened just this past April. A ferry sets off on a routine trip to Jeju City mostly carrying a bunch of high school students and their teachers on a school trip. Early on the morning of April 16, emergency services gets a call from a young passenger saying that the boat is capsizing. A few minutes later, around 9am, the captain gets in contact with the Vessel Traffic Service and informs the Coast Guard that they are rolling and in danger. A call goes out on the ship's intercom for all passengers to stay in their rooms and not move. (huh?) Fifteen minutes later the crew reports that the ship's angle of heel was so far that it made evacuation impossible. (wait, what?) Ten minutes later, VTS orders the crew to instruct passengers to put on life vests. When the crew whines that their intercom has broken, VTS told them to get their asses in gear and go to the passengers and inform them in person. (:argh: just what are you assholes even doing?) Not long after, VTS asks if the captain wants to evacuate the ship, since I guess he can't be bothered to make the decision without prompting. The captain asks about the rescue, to which VTS replied that patrol boats were due to arrive in 10 minutes and a helicopter in one minute. The captain replies, of course that there were too many passengers for the helicopter. :doh: Finally, around 9:30 the captain gives the order to evacuate, though with the broken intercom, who knows how many really got the go ahead to leave.

So what caused this one to sink? Greed and stupidity of course. The ship's owners had been butting heads with their crews over maximizing profits by overloading cargo. The MV Sewol took on 3,608 tons of cargo that trip which is slightly more than the rated limit of the limit of 987 tons. With so much extra onboard, there wasn't enough room to properly secure it all. To offset and accommodate this extra weight, the boat was carrying only 580 tons of ballast water which is slightly less than the recommended 2,030 tons. This made it more prone to list and capsize. All it took was one sharp and sudden turn early that morning to cause the cargo to shift and throw her off balance and unable to recover. And while the order to stay in the cabins probably did prevent a mass stampede, and deaths from hypothermia in the cold waters, it didn't really do much to prevent the drownings that resulted.

Of the 476 on board, 294 died, as well as 1 navy sailor, 2 civilian divers, and 5 emergency workers. Ten are still missing. Most of the people who died were teenagers - only 75 of the 325 members of the junior class were able to return to school. The vice-principal, who was rescued and survived the disaster, committed suicide a few days after the event. But probably the most unnerving thing about this is all the videos that were shot from cell phones by the passengers, and uploaded to the internet. Including one where some teenage girls are singing Titanic's "My Heart Will Go On" :smith:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Boatchat: The photos from inside the Costa Concordia are absolutely astonishing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2691022/Two-years-Costa-Concordia-raised-Doomed-cruise-ship-set-refloated-towed-away-scrapped.html

I can't imagine being trapped on that thing and realizing you can't get out. :/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Boatchat: The photos from inside the Costa Concordia are absolutely astonishing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2691022/Two-years-Costa-Concordia-raised-Doomed-cruise-ship-set-refloated-towed-away-scrapped.html

I can't imagine being trapped on that thing and realizing you can't get out. :/

I had no idea they had finished the salvage operation, my god some of the pics online...

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Sustentacular posted:

MV Sewol

Of the 476 on board, 294 died, as well as 1 navy sailor, 2 civilian divers, and 5 emergency workers. Ten are still missing. Most of the people who died were teenagers - only 75 of the 325 members of the junior class were able to return to school. The vice-principal, who was rescued and survived the disaster, committed suicide a few days after the event.

Reading the wiki article, this part choked me up:

quote:

On 18 April, the rescued vice principal of Danwon High School Kang Min-kyu, 52, committed suicide by hanging himself. Police stated that a note was found in his wallet. He had organized the field trip that had brought the high school party aboard the ship, and Kang had written in his two-page note that "Surviving alone is too painful when 200 lives are unaccounted for ... I take full responsibility." The note ended with a request that his body be cremated and the ashes scattered over the site of the accident, "that I might be a teacher in heaven to those kids whose bodies have not been found."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

FrozenVent posted:

Or ever really. The common notion that the Titanic was called unsinkable by the White Star company isn't true.