Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Jesus Christ... and here I was guessing that you guys must've had some testing protocol you failed for something basic / vital to your company. That's way worse. Condolences, dude. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
loving hell, man. I'm sorry I actually got it right, because that's a bad enough situation from the outside without knowing what you're going through. My condolences.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Does this mean someone finally has a worse employer than Sundae?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Maybe only in the immediate sense?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

rolleyes posted:

I may not be allowed to use Excel due to infinite possible value combinations, but I'm not locked out of my loving payment system. My paychecks arrive on time and my address changes work just fine. I'd take mine over his mess (for now, at least), any day. :)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
All of our ongoing work is also currently locked in a system we can't access as well.

rolleyes posted:

My employer isn't really worse then Sundae's, how they deal with crisis's might be.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Wednesday: I receive documentation for order A2750, email back with a list of things that are wrong and need to be fixed (if I could fix it myself, I would).

Thursday: I receive revised A2750 documentation and documentation for B3587. A2750 documentation had items removed that are required (why was it removed??) and nothing was fixed. B3587 documentation was good enough and everything that was wrong I can fix myself. B3587 has the information that I need A2750 to have. Email back with the same list of things to fix on the A2750 documentation, now with accompanying pictures and written notation on the documents, and mention it should look like the B3587 documentation.

Friday: "A2750 revisions you want do not exist, it is not possible to do this"

How do you write that sentence when the information was included on previous and future documentation??? :psyduck: This process shouldn't even need this level of revision because it's not a new process, we've been doing this for months. If I had time to figure out that whole convoluted system, I'd just do it myself, but I'm already heavily overworked.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I can't tell if one of Weird Al's new songs makes me want to laugh, cry, or dance.

In personal news, found out that my desk audit was denied because my duties "might be changing in the near future". Which I know is boss-speak for "it'll be a cold day in hell when I pay you what you're worth". Makes me kinda glad that the Year of the Employee is over, otherwise I'd think they had somehow dropped the ball. No word yet on what this going to be the Year Of. Maybe Year of Savings?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I can't tell if one of Weird Al's new songs makes me want to laugh, cry, or dance.

In personal news, found out that my desk audit was denied because my duties "might be changing in the near future". Which I know is boss-speak for "it'll be a cold day in hell when I pay you what you're worth". Makes me kinda glad that the Year of the Employee is over, otherwise I'd think they had somehow dropped the ball. No word yet on what this going to be the Year Of. Maybe Year of Savings?

Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I have always had to turn in a timesheet regardless of my pay status. I think companies here are required by state law to keep a record. At one of my jobs they basically just kept this binder open on the manager's desk and you would check in and out by marking an x by your name, since everyone was salaried and worked the same hours every day.

At my current company they have this annoying system where you have to turn in your timesheet 4-6 days before payday to process it in time. This means you're turning in a timesheet for hours you actually haven't worked yet. No one ever knows the exact day it's due so they send a reminder email, but for some reason they send it the day before it's due instead of the morning it's due (even though it's due in the afternoon). This means that people are constantly forgetting to turn in their time sheets because you get busy with work and forget in the 24 hours since they've sent the reminder. Some people have forgotten so many times that the accounting person has to text them on their personal cell phones every pay period to tell them to turn it in.

You also can't change your timesheet once it's turned in, so if you end up working different hours during those 5 days you have to save them for the next two weeks and turn them in on a separate excel spreadsheet to get paid. I don't even know what they do if you somehow work less hours, or if you need to take a sick day or something.

I just refuse to work more than what I've already turned in and I love it when we're super busy and my boss needs more help and I can be like "nope, sorry I already turned in my time sheet." :D There's no way I'm going to accept responsibility for remember my extra hours for another two weeks in order to actually get paid for them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, had the same poo poo while I was working through a temp agency - they had to be filled out a couple of days before the end of the month (so like 25-27th maybe) including of course the rest of the month. Of course, the part that makes this funny is that we didn't get paid until the 15th of the month.

Anyway, since we typically didn't have approved overtime, I just made a macro that set every day to 8 hours and everyone was happy. Now no more timesheets for me though as a salaried employee :smug:

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Hideki! You have so many side dishes. Can Chii be your main course?
I took a civil service test for a job opening last winter and didn't hear back, which never surprises me. I have been applying for jobs for something like five years straight with only a couple of interviews to show for it. I have been employed for the last three years at the same place, but since it's contracted, I have still been applying this whole time as well.

So I got this call for a position I do not remember applying for. Which also doesn't surprise me, because the only jobs I ever get are ones that I never actually applied for (such as my current job which I was recruited for). I called back and they want me to come and interview ASAP. I interviewed a few days later and I really hit it off with these people. It's not exactly what I'm looking for but it's in a very similar field to where I am now, in a related capacity, and it's not just full time but government and thus with government benefits. I was really feeling like they might want me.

That was Wednesday. On Thursday, they called. They are offering me the position and want me to start as soon as possible.

Friday I submitted my two-week notice. It got the kind of reaction I had hoped for and frankly expected: everybody freaked the gently caress out. I have worked my rear end off to support all these wonderful people and my bosses never stuck their neck out to get me a full time position and never showed me any kind of respect. My boss is scrambling to find a replacement for me in time for me to be able to train them, because there are a bunch of things that only I know how to do in the entire facility and no one else is competent enough (or has enough time) to learn and attend to those responsibilities. I made myself indispensable to keep my job and to hopefully show them I was worthy of a full-time position. Sucks to be them now I guess. Especially since my coworkers are already freaking out about it and I suspect that some people will have choice words to throw at my boss. Somehow that thought is very satisfying.

I really do care too much, but all I wanted was to make a difference, and all the crazy poo poo I've figured out for these super-crazy people and all the professional and personal support I've given them makes me feel like I did make a difference.

I know I'm probably trading one hell for another but the compensation is so much better, that I may be able to actually make ends meet and have some more sanity in that regard. I brought home $14K last year with no paid days off and I had to take some time off for a severe ankle sprain (which my poo poo healthcare barely covered). New job: my salary is $27K gross, not sure how expensive the benefits will be (including pension, whoo!) but hopefully I can pay off my ankle finally and then start paying my student loans again. And get new glasses, get my teeth cleaned, you know, do the stuff that privileged people get to do! Anyway thank you goons for listening to my ramble. I'm scared as hell about starting a new job but I needed this change, time for a clean slate goddammit!

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Ottoman posted:

14K, 27K
What insane field do you work in where this is acceptable pay for doing anything? Your first job is pretty much minimum wage. Congrats but how did it take you five years to get out of that hellhole?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ottoman posted:

$14K, $27K

Is this in USD? If so, wow. You realize that you were not even making the Federal(!) minimum wage at your last job, right?

No wonder everyone is freaking out; there's no chance that they'll find someone who will work for less than minimum wage to do more than flip burgers and who will stick around for five weeks, let alone five years.

Congrats on your :yotj: I guess, but gently caress you've gotta find a better job immediately because that's still a shamefully low salary.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

You realize that you were not even making the Federal(!) minimum wage at your last job, right?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that Ottoman even worked for some form of local or state government at that wage. :haw:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Volmarias posted:

Is this in USD? If so, wow. You realize that you were not even making the Federal(!) minimum wage at your last job, right?

No wonder everyone is freaking out; there's no chance that they'll find someone who will work for less than minimum wage to do more than flip burgers and who will stick around for five weeks, let alone five years.

Congrats on your :yotj: I guess, but gently caress you've gotta find a better job immediately because that's still a shamefully low salary.

They werent working full time.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

seacat posted:

What insane field do you work in where this is acceptable pay for doing anything? Your first job is pretty much minimum wage. Congrats but how did it take you five years to get out of that hellhole?

The latter sounds about the norm for publishing (not saying I know for ottoman, just an aside), which is doubly terrible as it's NYC usually.

Anyways, congrats. They won't learn their lesson, and deserve everything they get.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

$27k at the new place is still super ridiculous.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

ladyweapon posted:

This is the correct answer to this riddle.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

$27k at the new place is still super ridiculous.

Seriously.

We pay our temps more than this.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
No one is indispensable. It's a matter of how much it costs to replace you. Probably more than 14k.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
"Hi I'm losing my voice, can we talk later?"
"Oh I'm sorry,*proceeds to ask 20 minutes worth of questions"

Ugh. Shouldn't even bother showing up to work next time I'm a little sick.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Xandu posted:

Ugh. Shouldn't even bother showing up to work next time I'm a little sick.

I wish more people would do this. All you do is get everyone else around you sick.

Of course, it's not like anyone gets sick days anymore.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
On the other hand, my last job had a policy that you should stay home if you were sick, no limit on sick days and no need to prove or even justify yourself. I've spent entire weeks by myself in the office because everyone else was some flavor of sick or working from home or family day or...

And then I'd spend the last three days of the week twiddling my thumbs because I needed to get management approval to do anything meaningful, and once I had half a dozen or so projects queued for approval... gently caress that.

I realize it would have been smarter of me to just stay home and still get paid, but goddamn, I actually believed in the work we were supposed to be doing.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Sundae posted:

I wish more people would do this. All you do is get everyone else around you sick.

I would totally be at home right now but since I'm a contractor I get zero paid time off or sick days. So I'm here. Sniffling and sneezing on everyone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

Unlimited sick days on the honor system checking in.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I hate you. No sick time whatsoever here. In theory I can work from home while I'm ill, but that's only allowed if I would not miss any meetings as a result. That's basically impossible because I have multiple recurring daily meetings on my schedule that I'm required to attend.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Onion's starting to get a bit too close for comfort: Employer Totally Botches Job Interview

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Sundae posted:

I hate you. No sick time whatsoever here...

Don't you work in, uh pharmaceuticals :ironicat: I guess they're in the business of human health, not employee health!

We get the standard NZ 5d/year but you can bank up to 20days, if you want to use it no questions asked. Most people use it for when their kids get sick and I don't think anyone has been away more than 5 days for years.

I took a day off earlier this year when I felt a slight cold coming on and it was so worth it. The office didn't have to listen to me sniffing and sneezing, I got the oven cleaned, and the bathroom, and all the walls and corners, got my shopping done, and I got back to work quicker.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 4, 2014

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Don't you work in, uh pharmaceuticals :ironicat: I guess they're in the business of human health, not employee health!

No, to be specific, they're in the business of treating medical conditions. The big pharma bigwigs are not interested in health save insofar as they are able to treat something. For a profit.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Jaguars! posted:

I took a day off earlier this year when I felt a slight cold coming on and it was so worth it. The office didn't have to listen to me sniffing and sneezing, I got the oven cleaned, and the bathroom, and all the walls and corners, got my shopping done, and I got back to work quicker.

That doesn't sound like you're enhancing shareholder value.

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Hideki! You have so many side dishes. Can Chii be your main course?
Sorry for all the quotes. Lots of things I felt I wanted to respond to.

seacat posted:

I am clerical support. Technically my current job is more like doing all kinds of random computer crap for technology-inept clinicians. This was not my first job, my first "real" job was processing insurance and I made about $27K there as well. It took a long time to find a job because there are no jobs to be had in eastern PA. Average per capita income in my town is $22K.

Volmarias posted:

Yes, USD, but my pay is $10/hr. Takehome is more like $8.

ladyweapon posted:

35-hour weeks.

Sundae posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that Ottoman even worked for some form of local or state government at that wage. :haw:
Ding ding ding! Contracted for a state government means lowest bidder employment agency. The job I was originally hired for entailed very little work. However I like to work and be helpful and there were tons of changes going on at the facility, so I found plenty to do until I found another job or until they hired me (sigh). Now they are talking about taking on a new contractor to replace me ... and starting them at a higher salary. Gee thanks motherfuckers.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I would totally be at home right now but since I'm a contractor I get zero paid time off or sick days. So I'm here. Sniffling and sneezing on everyone.
And here's the rub. Since I'm a contractor, I get no paid time off. Even at 35 hours a week I should have made something like $18K I think. However there were 13 holidays I did not get paid for, plus I was sick a couple times for almost a week at a shot, and most importantly I had a severe ankle sprain that made me non-ambulatory for 6 weeks. I worked more than not but never a full week until I went through PT. Work was able to accommodate me so I could come in where other people would just have taken leave, but I had to call out a lot too because I was loving exhausted even trying to get around my own house.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Anyways, congrats. They won't learn their lesson, and deserve everything they get.
This is strangely and sinisterly comforting. Thank you. In any case my forthcoming job seems like it's not nearly as high level work as my current job, hence the blah salary.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Taliesyn posted:

No, to be specific, they're in the business of treating medical conditions. The big pharma bigwigs are not interested in health save insofar as they are able to treat something. For a profit.

This is one of those things people say about the industry that I honestly don't agree with, even though the apparent impact is (more or less) accurate. We treat medical conditions because curing medical conditions is loving hard. It isn't an intentional thing like how some people say that we're in it for treatments and not cures because treatments are more profitable, as much as the biz side won't take the risk on R&D efforts that will almost certainly fail to yield a cure (because cures are hard). It's a semi-conscious financial decision rather than a villainous mustache-twirl, one of the few exceptions in a field full of mustache twirling loonies.

If we could get a cure for Ailment X, we'd become the standard of treatment and everyone else would have to prove they were equal to or better than our drug (or a few other exceptions, such as allergen issues or side effect reductions, etc) in order to get approval for their own cure, until our patent finally expired and the generics came in. A real cure is profitable but risky, and the industry is extremely risk averse right now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ottoman, you should probably get the heck out of Pennsyltucky if you want a real job, preferably one that isn't "Whatever computer stuff needs to be done I guess." Alternately, start working for the devil Comcast. I hope you're at least applying for government aid programs.

$8/hr take home pay :negative:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Ottoman posted:

And here's the rub. Since I'm a contractor, I get no paid time off. Even at 35 hours a week I should have made something like $18K I think. However there were 13 holidays I did not get paid for....

Wait, are you saying you came into work and got regular pay as opposed to holiday pay? Or that you weren't paid *at all*?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Volmarias posted:

Ostensibly, my wife gets 160 hours of vacation a year. In reality, her boss uses the honor system to "track" it.

She's never abused it, but she did have a former coworker that showed up for like an hour every morning, went home and slept the rest of the day, then worked his second job as a club promoter all night (he probably only came in for the hour because he was still awake). He did this for at least six months, possibly longer, before someone caught on and fired him.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Old work got a ping pong table.

Enjoy your ping pong tournaments, old coworkers. I'll enjoy my job that doesn't suck :smug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Defenestration posted:

Old work got a ping pong table.

Enjoy your ping pong tournaments, old coworkers. I'll enjoy my job that doesn't suck :smug:

My last job had the Ping Pong tables in the cafeteria set up as meeting rooms for Outlook, since a LOT of people liked to play Ping Pong, and it was just the easiest way to reserve them.

I had to scramble for a room at the last minute a couple of times because I accidentally booked a Ping Pong table for a phone screen, and was both confused and annoyed when someone finally told me where the "rooms" were.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sundae posted:

We get sick days, but whenever someone calls in sick, management gets super paranoid and starts wondering if the person actually took the day off to go interview for another job. They start asking the person's coworkers questions like, "hey, so... you happen to know if Joe is considering leaving?" And I'm pretty sure Joe's emails get read and phone calls are listened to for like a week straight, or until Mary calls in sick. Rinse, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

We get sick days, but whenever someone calls in sick, management gets super paranoid and starts wondering if the person actually took the day off to go interview for another job. They start asking the person's coworkers questions like, "hey, so... you happen to know if Joe is considering leaving?" And I'm pretty sure Joe's emails get read and phone calls are listened to for like a week straight, or until Mary calls in sick. Rinse, repeat.

This doesnt sound like a healthy place to work for.