Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I was going to blow the world's mind by attaching my sensor bar to the gamepad and Nintendo ruined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
When Star Fox 64 says "Requires the Classic Controller", does that mean I can't use the default Wii U gamepad? I'd love to have this on a console I actually have plugged in, but I'm not buying a new controller for it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Suspicious Cook posted:

When Star Fox 64 says "Requires the Classic Controller", does that mean I can't use the default Wii U gamepad?

That is correct.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Slur posted:

That is correct.

That sucks. Nintendo, why do you suck? You were just getting awesome again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Suspicious Cook posted:

That sucks. Nintendo, why do you suck? You were just getting awesome again.

Doesn't it run in the virtual Wii? If it does, Gamepads don't natively work there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The reason, as has been stated multiple times, is that the GamePad doesn't use BlueTooth at all, not even for sending control data, and since the Wii didn't support the wireless protocols the GamePad uses, the vWii can't even perceive the GamePad. The ability to send the Wii's AV output to the GamePad was a recent upgrade, and many folks thought it wouldn't be possible.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Although, I think some Wii hacker (crediar, maybe) managed to get Gamepads working in vWii. How? I have no idea.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

One would think all it would take is a software layer.

Which I'd be surprised if there wasn't one already as Wii mode gives you an option to switch back to Wii U. The Wii U can receive input from the gamepad -- I don't see (though I didn't build the thing) why that input couldn't be used to emulate input from a Wii classic controller or whatever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

One would think all it would take is a software layer.

Which I'd be surprised if there wasn't one already as Wii mode gives you an option to switch back to Wii U. The Wii U can receive input from the gamepad -- I don't see (though I didn't build the thing) why that input couldn't be used to emulate input from a Wii classic controller or whatever.

There is (currently) no software layer. When you go back into Wii U mode, that "Wii U" app actually just triggers a system reboot, just like going into/out of Wii U settings. And the message on the GamePad about inputs not being supported runs on the GamePad firmware. When enabled, the Wii U seems to be splitting the A/V output to the GamePad on a firmware level - brainlessly.

Whether a software layer would be possible in the future is unknown. Full integration would be neat (though that would probably prevent vWii Homebrew). But Nintendo has bigger fish to fry right now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there any way to turn off the music and little sound effects on the Wii U menus? I don't need a theme song when I'm using the eShop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there's zero reason to keep adding all these loving n64 games when it requires that crappy old controller and with no offscreen option. also lol at double the prizes but they still all suck tremendously, ain't fooling anyone with those lovely NES games.

e: vvvvv hahahahahaha

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 4, 2014

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I just get the N64 Club Nintendo games so I can get them for a discount in whatever far-off future N64 games are actually released on the Wii U VC.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Why is Nintendo still selling games at a premium which require a controller they no longer manufacture?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gandalf21 posted:

I just get the N64 Club Nintendo games so I can get them for a discount in whatever far-off future N64 games are actually released on the Wii U VC.

I'm starting to think they don't see a reason to ever do this since the Wii should be good enough or some dumb bullshit. Have they said ANYTHING at all about bringing 64 games to the U?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nolgthorn posted:

Why is Nintendo still selling games at a premium which require a controller they no longer manufacture?

You're gonna have to be more specific here because this can apply to like 4 scenarios.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

prom candy posted:

Is there any way to turn off the music and little sound effects on the Wii U menus? I don't need a theme song when I'm using the eShop.

The mute button on your TV remote or the remote feature of the gamepad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

there's zero reason to keep adding all these loving n64 games when it requires that crappy old controller and with no offscreen option. also lol at double the prizes but they still all suck tremendously, ain't fooling anyone with those lovely NES games.

e: vvvvv hahahahahaha

Offscreen works, you just can't use the GamePad inputs. It's dumb and mostly pointless but it exists.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

They have discontinued the manufacture of gamecube controllers yet are soon releasing an adapter that lets you use them, at least you can still use a more recent controller. The price for Wii virtual console games are in my estimation quite high and they require a Wii classic controller, which they stopped manufacturing. How are you supposed to play those?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nolgthorn posted:

They have discontinued the manufacture of gamecube controllers yet are soon releasing an adapter that lets you use them, at least you can still use a more recent controller. The price for Wii virtual console games are in my estimation quite high and they require a Wii classic controller, which they stopped manufacturing. How are you supposed to play those?

By using a classic controller that you had with your old Wii. Its a legacy feature, not a selling point of the Wii U.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Nolgthorn posted:

But see they're making new Gamecube Controllers for Smash as well.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

jivjov posted:

By using a classic controller that you had with your old Wii. Its a legacy feature, not a selling point of the Wii U.

They are still releasing new Virtual Console titles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nolgthorn posted:

They are still releasing new Virtual Console titles.

Any that require a classic controller? The ones on Wii U can be played with the Gamepad or a Pro Controller.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm starting to think they don't see a reason to ever do this since the Wii should be good enough or some dumb bullshit. Have they said ANYTHING at all about bringing 64 games to the U?
Yes, on the Virtual Console page of their website. Unfortunately that page went up when the Wii U Virtual Console launched in April 2013 and we're not anywhere closer to seeing them.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DoctorWhat posted:

The reason, as has been stated multiple times, is that the GamePad doesn't use BlueTooth at all, not even for sending control data, and since the Wii didn't support the wireless protocols the GamePad uses, the vWii can't even perceive the GamePad. The ability to send the Wii's AV output to the GamePad was a recent upgrade, and many folks thought it wouldn't be possible.

You've contradicted yourself right in this very post. Bluetooth got nothing to do with it, and as you point out they got video output going over hardware the Wii never supported. Nintendo either hasn't written and signed off on the code that would allow game pad input in Wii mode (by far the most likely reason, and most promising for possible future functionality) or they've intentionally made it impossible at the hardware level (in which case gently caress them).

In either case, for whatever reason, your game pad buttons are currently useless in Wii mode, and yes that is stupid.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Occupy Nintendo.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I would not be remotely surprised to hear that somewhere in a lab there is a Wii U, parts are splayed out over a workbench, with which you can play Star Fox 64 using the GamePad. But that's a lot of time and money away from shipping it in the System Software 5.3 update, and there might be one or ten things they'd rather put that time into.

edit: It took a year and a half to see "Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller" next to a bullet point in the release notes. It might be a long wait.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 5, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

We still don't have folders for all our digital poo poo, which is something you really would of thought they'd of had since the beginning what with how they had to introduce them to the 3DS in an update 6 months before then.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread - but the OS situation with Nintendo hardware remains ridiculous.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 5, 2014

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't done anything yet, I'm just anticipating being confused. I have never gotten into the Wii shop and I would like to download Starfox 64 from Club Nintendo. Will I need to create a Wii shop account or did Nintendo create some sort of magic that will pull my NNID/whatever I need from the Wii U?

Also this controller discussing seems to happen at the beginning of every new Club Nintendo rewards cycle. A month ago everyone was bitching about the Paper Mario offering and needing a classic controller. Do we have a Wii U thread cycle image similar to the Steam thread cycle?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What I would really like, other than folders, in the home screen is a sorting function. I sort all my games by console, then alphabetical. With retail games on one end, then virtual console, then the indie games. Naturally, this means if I download a new game in any category, I have to manually move every single game that comes after it. I've mitigated this somewhat by having a buffer row of blank spaces after each category, but I still have to move a poo poo ton of content around every time I download something new.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't done anything yet, I'm just anticipating being confused. I have never gotten into the Wii shop and I would like to download Starfox 64 from Club Nintendo. Will I need to create a Wii shop account or did Nintendo create some sort of magic that will pull my NNID/whatever I need from the Wii U?

The Wii Shop never had accounts on the original Wii, but on the Wii U, a "Wii Shop" account will be automatically created and associated with your NNID.

Then, you navigate the menus until you find the option to "redeem download code" and poke at the on-screen keyboard with a Wiimote until you've typed it all in, and you're golden.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Wildtortilla posted:

Also this controller discussing seems to happen at the beginning of every new Club Nintendo rewards cycle. A month ago everyone was bitching about the Paper Mario offering and needing a classic controller. Do we have a Wii U thread cycle image similar to the Steam thread cycle?
Sounds like something that would fit perfectly into the Q&A section - discussion schedule, relative to Club Nintendo, Nintendo Directs, and Super Smash Brothers.

Speaking of the thread itself, since I'm no longer busy with the GameDev Competition, I'd like to get myself back onto working on the OP. With that in mind, our next order of business is Games, with which I need everyone's help. While I can write a fair number of the Plausible Problems and Possible Positives myself, I'll be requesting assistance with a few specific games. The only Recommended Exclusive I'm unable to comment on is Lego City Undercover, so if y'all argue about what sucks and what's great with that particular game, I can get to arranging the information into concise, relevant chunks. Playtime, replayability, difficulty, variety, quality of graphics and sounds, and anything else you guys can think of. I already know about the load times.

Please please please please notice this post

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Whatever is in the new thread OP, I recommend this picture somewhere on it, thanks in advance.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Whatever is in the new thread OP, I recommend this picture somewhere on it, thanks in advance.

It will take great effort, but I will include this picture into the OP in a tasteful manner.

edit: To assure you that I am serious, I have already saved the image into the Wii U thread OP images folder. Here it is:

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 5, 2014

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

That look is the look of a dinosaur reconsidering its life choices.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Suspicious Cook posted:

That look is the look of a dinosaur reconsidering its life choices.

Mario's old, but I wouldn't call him a dinosaur yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

Please please please please notice this post

Maybe just throw your suggested OP into a google doc or something? Then it's easier to see what you've got and what you've not. Unless you've got some secret you want to reveal when you post the thread.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

pokeyman posted:

Maybe just throw your suggested OP into a google doc or something? Then it's easier to see what you've got and what you've not. Unless you've got some secret you want to reveal when you post the thread.

No, that sounds like a reasonable idea:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B2VIwD_93bYpvybfy356Xtk34CKF85lyXWalATcMjf8/edit?usp=sharing - I've made commenting possible for anybody who takes the link. Games section is near the bottom.

e; Just as a side note, I've specifically labelled any games I'll "need help" with for their info - and because a lot of this is formatted for SA, it might be pretty tough on the eyes, so sorry about that!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 5, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I think the Refurbished deal on the Wii U's and Wiimotes expired finally, but I could be wrong on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultigonio posted:

It will take great effort, but I will include this picture into the OP in a tasteful manner.

Just put it at the very top before anything else, where it belongs.

• Locked thread